Anime/Manga/Manhwa recommendations thread

Admin

I've never actually read Manga before..

I was always more of a "watch korean dramas" type,

but i thought hey i might try something new.. so any rec's? >-<

there's a lot of different types--what kind of stories do you watch? do you like do you like things like high school romances? there's girl-boy (I especially like the cuter ones), and boy-boy... the girl-boy stories are shoujo; the boy-boy ones are shounen ai (or the more expilicit yaoi)...two shoujo manga I really liked (and have read more than once, and will read again) are Cherry Juice (Haruka Fukushima or Fukushima Haruka) and Lovely Complex (also known as Love*Com)by Nakahara Aya. Then there's stories they call 'gender bender'--also some take place in high school--boy pretends to be a girl, or a girl pretends to be a boy, and it gets interesting from there. lol Some manga I really like are W Juliet by Emura, and Hanazakari no Kimitachi e (also called 'Hana-Kimi'), by Nakajo Hisaya; Ouran High School Host Club by Bisco Hatori (or Hatori Bisco--most of the writers and artist's names are written like western names on the English translations).

we can help more when we know what you like--or don't like. ^^ (I read almost anything--and then there's Korean manhwa, too. =D ) There's a LOT to choose from.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ___________.

DOLLS

An interesting manga I got into recently by naked ape.. There's lots of action, although it does get a bit gory at times, and the artwork is fantastic (eye candy for the ladies... heh heh) 

A nice mix of darkness and kickass mystery crime fighting.. as well as some needed lightheartedness sprinkled in every now and then :D 

I definitely recommend this manga!!

People who liked Fullmetal Alchemist, D.Gray Man, Kuroshisuji should look into this one :)

I've been a bit sick of sweet, cliche, shoujo manga.. and I've also gotten into another naked ape manga..

Magnolia

sunye~ recommended it as well!! It's a gender bender, which I didn't know initially until I saw its categories after reading the first couple chapters.. Had I known it was gender bender, I might have stayed away due to the amount of bad gender benders out there.. but I am SO GLAD I gave it a fair chance!

The plot is.. refreshing :) Out of all the gender benders I have read, this is definitely one of the more original ones.. also, I really love naked ape's artwork because they make sure there's LOTS OF EYE CANDY :DD

After sampling one gross, tacky shoujo with bad art after another on my manga sites, this manga is seriously a godsend :x

Definitely recommend this one too!!

Yankee-kun to Megane-chan / Flunk Punk Rumble (English name)

it's a comedy manga series about a yankee guy and a former yankee girl :D it's slice-of-life, which I'm normally not very fond of because I get bored, but this series is hilarious and I absolutely adore it. It's very fun and easy to read and the characters are wonderful. I recommend it to everyone :D

other series I also recommend are Deadman Wonderland and Mirai Nikki / Future Diary C:

Guest chaosgirl

any good shojo mangas? ive read skip beat and kaichou wa maid sama but i can seem to find anything similar to these mangas

recommendations?

Guest LovePinku

me i liked these one

korean:

boy of the female wolf

love in the mask

girl (hwang mi ri)

lover puzzle

japanese:

red river

highschool of the dead

eden no ori

moe kare

Guest Meilumi

If you're looking for a nice anime series to watch, I would recommend Code Geass.

For something that's more realistic (with some fantasy aspects), I would recommend Clannad.

Guest babossagaji

I didn't want to start a new topic so I'll post here instead.

This is regarding a manhwa I read a long time ago but stopped because I was tired of waiting for the updates.

All I remember is the main character's a 18 or 19 year old woman (definitely in her teens) who is training under her teacher to control her power? I think she is really strong and is connected to some kind of fate/destiny brought up. Her teacher is 200 years old or even more..and he proposes to her one day.

She has a love/hate relationship with an older demon who I remember visually to be a young looking man with piercings, maybe tattoos, and dark hair. They live near each other and I think he wants to kill her but also loves her at the same time?

Guest babyx_doll

For those who are looking for an Anime dealing with Friendship/ the search for Peace/ Prevention of War/ Vengeance/ Growing Up/ Dealing with the loss of loved ones/ Orphan-hood/ Family/ Rivalry/ etc

I highly recommend :

- Naruto/Hurricane Chronicles.  

I know everyone watches it, and keeps naggin' about how great it is that you're probably tired of hearing about it, but it truly is an eye opening Anime.  The life lessons are boxed comfortably in each little episode and all you have to do is watch and unwrap it like a gift. & The characters are so exquisitely developed throughout the series as you watch them grow into proud Shinobis.  

Yes, this Anime will get you worked up, sometimes you get so angry that you don't even realize you're screaming, like an insane person, at the the t.v. or that you're balling your eyes out and you don't realize that you're crying like a banshee. You know those words, "I'd take a bullet for you?" Well, Naruto is that type of friend.  He'd do anything to protect his friends even to the point where he'll give up his life, gladly.  He'd also do anything to prevent them from going down the wrong road, it might take him a while to extract them from that road of darkness but he'll do it, BELIEVE IT! And that's why I love him and this show to death.  Because honestly, there's nothing really like it out there and I'm not just talking about the Ninja stuff, I'm also talking about the messages Naruto conveys.  

+ And a huge difference in this anime is that not all the Main Antagonists are entirely pure evil sadistic guys. For example: Madara/Tobi, he's trying to accomplish the same goal [Peace for All] as Naruto but he is attempting it at the wrong angle.  This Anime really shines a new light on the "Bad Guys," it illustrates the innocence of the antagonist and how the antagonist morphed into sinful, traitorous, human beings due to the cruelty of the world.  It helps you understand their feelings more rather than just labeling them heartless people from their unexplained actions.  

Extra Note: 1] Watch the Naruto series first.  You'll understand the complex relationships all these characters have developed for each other later in the Hurricane Chronicles.

Okay, well I'm done trying to convince you to watch because I can go on forever and ever.  All I got to say is you'll miss out on a very, very, very, wonderful series if you decide not to watch. (:

"It's almost unbearable, isn't it… the pain of being all alone. I know that feeling, I've been there, in that dark and lonely place, but now there are others, other people who mean a lot to me. I care more about them than I do myself, and I won't let anyone hurt them. That's why I'll never give up, I will stop you, even if I have to kill you! They saved me from myself, they rescued me from my loneliness, they were the first to accept me as who I am. They're my friends." -Naruto

If you're looking for an Anime that deals with Human Resurrection/ Science-Fic/ Bonds of Brothers/Fantasy/ Military/ War/ Redemption/ etc.

I highly recommend:

Full Metal Alchemist

I am currently still finishing this Anime up.  But I really am addicted right now because of how similar it is to our reality.  It's so amazingly awesome with Alchemy involved  and it breaks my very heart when it comes to Edward & Alphonse Elric's story.  These two brothers have this bond like no other, they love each other to death.  You know those words, "Don't you love somebody so much that you'll give up an arm for them?" Well that's Ed Elric right there.  He's the type to insure his brother's life at any cost.  & I admire him greatly for that.  The quotes are also superbly intriguing and they'll get you thinking DEEP.  Sometimes I'm sitting in Chemistry class thinking about the Law of Equivalent Exchange and how it applies to so many things in life.  Or how we're just humans and it's not in our hands to be playing with God's Creations.  This Anime will also teach you about the violation of the Laws of Nature and the price you pay for committing them.  Which in my view, is a very hefty price, considering Ed & Al's outcome.  I also love the how the Military in here has officers who go through the question, "Is this right or wrong?" constantly, it reminds me of our soldiers.  Like Roy Mustang, the scenes in the Anime where he debates to take lives are probably the most heart-wrenching.  There is another character in FMA that was so shaken by the destruction of war because of his creations, he ran away filled with guilt.  And I couldn't help but think if he was modeled after Albert Einstein.  Einstein created a bomb that destroyed lives and I wonder if the Author used that as a theme in FMA intentionally. "Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy’s first Law of Equivalent Exchange." ~ Alphonse Elric, Full Metal Alchemist

Okay enough of my rants.  Either watch or don't. (: It's all good!

xoxo,

babydoll

Guest nanaliz
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest silverkey_

Hi can someone recommend me a manga full of romance? something that can give your tummy a lot of butterflies while reading XD i want something worth buying. I already own volumes of Kaichou wa Maid-sama, Skip Beat, and Dengeki Daisy.

Hi can someone recommend me a manga full of romance? something that can give your tummy a lot of butterflies while reading XD i want something worth buying. I already own volumes of Kaichou wa Maid-sama, Skip Beat, and Dengeki Daisy.

Ao Haru ride

Last Game

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Sleepless.

Does anyone know a good anime about love? I'd prefer if it was more of a mature anime where the characters are a bit older, perhaps young adults, and where it's based on real life; not having any sci-fi or fantasy elements. It's been hard for me to find an anime of this criteria.

Guest knockblock

Does anyone know a good anime about love? I'd prefer if it was more of a mature anime where the characters are a bit older, perhaps young adults, and where it's based on real life; not having any sci-fi or fantasy elements. It's been hard for me to find an anime of this criteria.

I'd say Honey and Clover. After that, I can't think of much else.

Guest Fiona.

I didn't want to start a new topic so I'll post here instead.

This is regarding a manhwa I read a long time ago but stopped because I was tired of waiting for the updates.

All I remember is the main character's a 18 or 19 year old woman (definitely in her teens) who is training under her teacher to control her power?  I think she is really strong and is connected to some kind of fate/destiny brought up.  Her teacher is 200 years old or even more..and he proposes to her one day.

She has a love/hate relationship with an older demon who I remember visually to be a young looking man with piercings, maybe tattoos, and dark hair.  They live near each other and I think he wants to kill her but also loves her at the same time?

I believe the manhwa you're talking about is Masca: http://www.mangafox.com/manga/masca/ :)

Guest oh_my_pizza

Is anyone still watching guilty crown? I've been stalled at episode 10 for awhile and not sure whether to pick it back up.

Does Ouma Shu's character improve at all later on? Because he is the exact reason I'm not watching the show right now lol.

Guest knockblock

Is anyone still watching guilty crown? I've been stalled at episode 10 for awhile and not sure whether to pick it back up.

I watched it but stopped somewhere too. I'm going to continue where I left off though.