that is the cruelest thing i've ever heard of

i really can't believe what people will do

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kiss Me

Seriously. This is SO stupid.

Why would you sue a dead person?

Isn't the fact that she's dead bad enough?

I think they're ruining their OWN image more by suing her T_T

Guest cerulean.skies

is everyone here lacking any kind of rationale? It's a simple breach of contract. It's not even remotely close to being ridiculous, it's actually expected. The only difference between this and Kate Moss getting cut by her advertisers for the coke incident is that obviously Choi Jin Shil was the victim of domestic abuse. That's too bad, and we should all have sympathy for her, but the company exists to make profits, without said profits, their employees and families could all be for a rough time. I know soompi's for teens, but wow...

Well, to expect people to react differently to this situation is more irrational, as it would be a sad day for the human race. Of course people are going to feel sympathy for her and not for the company. Domestic abuse happens to so many women, and is something that is forced upon them by someone else. No one is going to feel bad that Chris Brown loses his contracts for beating up Rihanna (well, maybe except some really SICK minded people who believe that if a women is beaten, then she deserves it), but to expect people to simply "understand" the company's justification for suing a victim is to expect that we should lack the very emotions that make us human. People here are complaining more about the insensitivity of the company towards the client because it's not like she ASKED to be abused by her husband. It occurs too often that a woman is blamed for her own abuse, her own rape, etc., and this is a perfect example of this injustice.

Circumstances differ, and all kinds of violence, especially sexual violence and domestic abuse, are such serious issues, and commonly perpetrated by a man onto a woman. And correct me if I'm wrong, but based on what I remember reading, Choi Jin Shil was pregnant with their second child when he physically assaulted her, which left her in the hospital afterwards. And him? He's walking free, married to the woman that she accused him of cheating on her for, which by the way, he used as an excuse to beat her. Maybe we're complaining because from the way we see it, it's not just pursuing compensation, but also making a statement as well - that she should be responsible for what happened to her. I bet if a little boy signed the same contract and later got beaten to a pulp by his mother would seem a lot more revolting to the same people who think that it's okay that this woman is being sued for her own assault. But I agree with you, it's a corporate contract, and they have every right to sue her based on those grounds... but the human thing to do would be to let it go. And your talk about profit? I don't see why any decent person would enjoy prospering off someone else's misfortune. That's what most people are angry about - the indecency of the situation. Maybe the people who profit from this are content with suing her, but that doesn't mean we all have to react positively to it.

not only are they suing a woman that unwilling got abused, they're suing a DEAD woman. i hope their stupid construction company crumbles.

i feel so bad for her children who has to deal with so much stuff : /

Guest clouds4ME

the company is full of bs.

she didnt tarnish their reputation .. all they want is the freaking money.

wow this is so messed up...reading about this breaks my heart and makes me a little depressed..I hope her family get good lawyers and fight back the stupidity of this ruling.

This is the one time I will stick up for NETIZENS and tell them to do everything in their power to bring this company down. I know it's awful to think like that but these people don't deserve ANY kind of success whatsoever.

Anyone know what the opinion of Koreans in Korea are saying about this?

is everyone here lacking any kind of rationale? It's a simple breach of contract. It's not even remotely close to being ridiculous, it's actually expected. The only difference between this and Kate Moss getting cut by her advertisers for the coke incident is that obviously Choi Jin Shil was the victim of domestic abuse. That's too bad, and we should all have sympathy for her, but the company exists to make profits, without said profits, their employees and families could all be for a rough time. I know soompi's for teens, but wow...

This made laugh because it's so stupid and ridiculous...if you compare someone making the CHOICE of doing coke and someone being abused as the same thing than something is seriously wrong with you. Kate Moss says "I need coke here's $100." so I guess CJS says, "I need to get beat up, beat the crap out of me that I end up in the hospital." NO. No one makes the decision to get beat up but EVERYONE makes the decision to do drugs or not. The biggest difference between Kate and CJS is what Kate did and what someone else did to CJS.

" I know soompi's for teens" -- WOW if teens think this is morally wrong and adults think she should be sued than I hope no one in the entire world ever grows up. BUT luckily that's not all adults think. I'm 22 and I absolutely think it's insane. YES a contract is a contract but there comes a time when moral values are much more important than stupid contracts.

Guest leongfun

is everyone here lacking any kind of rationale? It's a simple breach of contract. It's not even remotely close to being ridiculous, it's actually expected. The only difference between this and Kate Moss getting cut by her advertisers for the coke incident is that obviously Choi Jin Shil was the victim of domestic abuse. That's too bad, and we should all have sympathy for her, but the company exists to make profits, without said profits, their employees and families could all be for a rough time. I know soompi's for teens, but wow... -dudnaito

So if she got in a car accident, and her face got messed up, it would be still considered "breach of contract"?

Guest jchowder

omg...these people are seriously messed up in the head. how could you sue someone for something that wasn't even their fault?! even better question, how could they be human enough to sue a woman who is dead?! that is just ridiculous...

Choi Jin Shil shouldn't be held responsible for what her ex-husband did to her. period.

why are they suing her NOW? how long was the contract signed for anyway? either way, the company is disgusting, ridiculous and utterly disrespectful for doing such a thing. i hope people in korea are doing something about this.

Guest Rainie

Leave her alone...she's died already, why can't they just leave everything in the past? And this is just ridiculous....

Guest leesn

i'm usually just a lurker here in soompi. but after reading news articles about this, i can't help but comment. i've always thought that although south korea gives great importance to traditions, it is still a country that has embraced the basics of modern thinking when it comes to women's rights. it's one thing for the company to sue choi jin shil and her estate for "damages" but it's a whole different thing when the supreme court affirms that it was her fault she got beaten up. they were essentially saying that she asked to get beaten up and had no right to report it since the supreme court was awarding damages to the construction company because choi damaged "her social and moral image through her own fault".

where are the women's rights group in south korea?

somebody said that it's a simple case of breach of contract. true, companies exist for profit. but there is also such a thing as social responsibility and common decency. the fact that they cannot provide sympathy for someone, as you have said, who is a victim of domestic violence shows what kind of company they are. but hey, if you're okay in patronizing these kind of companies, then all i can say is i hope you enjoy their products. oh, by the way, i'm not a teenager.

Guest thatschic

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read in a while now

What is wrong with the judge in the first place and company

This is immorally wrong it's sad... She's dead so they're using

that fact to their advantage.

Guest jybaby

i really sincerely feel bad for cjs' condition but i also feel that this suit has NOTHING to do with the fact that cjs got beat up so i don't know why people have to bring up chris brown and rihanna. chris brown is actually being sued FOR violence but in this case the company just wants their losses to be compensated. I also think that this has to do with her suicide since a happy image isn't really being suicidal.

If you personally lent 100K to someone who's suppose to pay you back with interest but then he or she commited suicided then you would HONESTLY think you'll be fine with that? And then you mention to your friend, "how am i going to get my money back?" and somehow that leaked out and everyone was pointing fingers at you hoping you'd get destroyed. People should take more time to analyze a situation. Yes, the first thought is most likely "how unethical!" but... in the company's case they suffered a lot more than just a 100k in losses and all because of one person ..weigh the two one person vs one company with HUNDREDS or even THOUSANDS of workers not just in korea but overseas as well...

first of all, they DID make an investment into someone who was suppose to help their company but instead hurt it. the article is completely biased because we don't know exactly how much the company invested in her and think about all the costs it would take to hire a new face and to pay their PR department. does everyone have to work twice or triple as hard for free just to earn that money back because ONE person gone? The world doesn't stop for one person, especially during this time of recession. And i'm sure this suit is nothing personal, it's more of the fact that cjs's management/agency didn't secure those pictures. So many people die each and everyday or get raped/beatened in say, Darfur but we don't curse ourselves and hope we all get destroyed because we're still using their oil. this is the same thing, on a smaller scale.

how many lives of the company are going to be affected because of cjs' and her management's actions? not just the ceos or stockholders but the construction workers AND their families.

i know i sound very heartless but it is true that cjs did not fulfill her responsibilities...she decided to take her life and throw away all her duties as a mother and actress... i think this is just very unfair to everyone she affected but because they're still alive and facing reality they have to get critisized while cjs is dead and she decided that for herself. i hope people can see where i'm getting at. The decision of the court was just pretty bad timing . . . since she's dead now. the fact is, many people are still alive and suffering because of her death and her ex's actions. how are THEY going to be compensated? so yes, i think it's fair on the company's part. it may not be fair to cjs' kids or family but no one should go around pointing fingers. When she took her life away i'm sure she knew that this toll would have to be taken on by her family. no one just decides to kill themselves one day...there are a lot of 'what ifs' and 'if i' when someone decides to commit suicide.

i mean, what can the they do? just because of one woman's unfortunate happenings, a whole company is going to suffer?? Does anyone know how much time, sweat and labor goes into building a company?

I'm not saying I don't feel bad for cjs and i believe that her then husband is definately a jerk who has it coming. But i was just a bit irritated to see so many comments against the company without solid reasonings

Archived