Tennis

Guest supa'Wanki

Guest KIM_SAYS:

Playing doubles is also awesome if you have good communicaton and teamwork skills. Like me...I admit I can be a ball hog sometimes, which obviously isn't a good thing when it comes to playing doubles. -_- And I don't have the greatest communication skills. I absolutely despise playing doubles...but it's pretty fun when you're just messing around.

Dude, I'm so so so anxious to go out and play. I haven't been out on a court literally in months. I'm scared to see how my serves will turn out.

But I'm soooo excited for the girls' tennis season this year. I really can't wait. Which isn't exactly a good thing considering I have two more months. :(

But on the other hand....AUSTRALIAN OPEN, baby! B) Whoo hooooo.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Phizzle!

Playing doubles is also awesome if you have good communicaton and teamwork skills. Like me...I admit I can be a ball hog sometimes, which obviously isn't a good thing when it comes to playing doubles. -_- And I don't have the greatest communication skills. I absolutely despise playing doubles...but it's pretty fun when you're just messing around.

Dude, I'm so so so anxious to go out and play. I haven't been out on a court literally in months. I'm scared to see how my serves will turn out.

But I'm soooo excited for the girls' tennis season this year. I really can't wait. Which isn't exactly a good thing considering I have two more months. :(

But on the other hand....AUSTRALIAN OPEN, baby! B) Whoo hooooo.

i used to play varsity doubles during my sophmore year and boy, did i suck or what. i really lack communicating skills too, and i'm a big ball hog lol. i also feel really guilty when i lose a point or something, and always tend to blame myself for mine and my partner's lost. but thank goodness i finally got to play singles last season. i loved it :P

i can't wait for our next season either, but i'm sad because it's going to be my last :[ boo.

Guest xKrNbAbOx

Usually ranking determines if you play singles or doubles, unless you request it or your coach specifically wants you to play singles or doubles.

Doubles is good if you're a good serve and volley person, aka good at playing at the net. Singles is good if you're a baseline or have an all court/around game.

First of all, what's wrong with your serve and backhand ^_^. Also, I'm guessing you use a two handed backhand. If you point things out I can help you :D.

I managed the girls tennis team til' I graduated (2005). Hopefully they allow me to manage again :)! So I have a great amount of experience in teaching and coaching.

wow thats cool managing girls tennis. uh lets see...for some reason my serve goes into the net 75% of the time and my old coach use to say im hitting it too late...and this new one says that im using the.eastern grip and he doesnt like that so i need to change it...basically im supposed to grip it like shaking someones hand...? so..i really dont know about that...lol. and my backhand is a two-handed one like u said. thats creepy how u knew....(i think. :sweatingbullets: ) and the problem i have now is turning side-ways and turning my grip..i think im not really sure how to change that/fix it. ?_? i guess i can take pics of how i do it and u can correct me...id rather have someone help me other than my coaches only b/c they have no idea what they are doing... :wacko: they are like that. <---wacko. lol

Changing the grip will help in the long-run, but for the short-run it will be difficult since you need to learn it and know how to use it. It would take weeks to get it correct heh, atleast a good month or so.

It sounds like when you hit -> you're hitting downwards as the ball is dropping which causes it to go into the net and maybe sometimes hit the ground before the net. You need to hit up and forward on the ball when the ball is dropping like that.

This is called a "topspin serve" -- when you let the ball drop and hit up on it. Topspin is spin on the ball that makes it drop in the court.

You probably won't get this technique unless you try it for a few days but you will notice that you won't be hitting it into the net. You'll just need to adjust to make sure you're hitting in the service box.

On your backhand there's several stances. The open stance, the box stance (semi-open) and the closed stance. It seems like your coach is probably old and trying to teach the closed stance.

On your backhand is the changing your grip the problem? The best way to change grips is always go back to the continental after a shot. Then as you see the ball come you change your grip. Which will only be a half of a turn instead of a full turn, and a lot easier to change and switch grips. I'll post pictures of the different grips.

Guest xKrNbAbOx

Changing the grip will help in the long-run, but for the short-run it will be difficult since you need to learn it and know how to use it. It would take weeks to get it correct heh, atleast a good month or so.

It sounds like when you hit -> you're hitting downwards as the ball is dropping which causes it to go into the net and maybe sometimes hit the ground before the net. You need to hit up and forward on the ball when the ball is dropping like that.

This is called a "topspin serve" -- when you let the ball drop and hit up on it. Topspin is spin on the ball that makes it drop in the court.

You probably won't get this technique unless you try it for a few days but you will notice that you won't be hitting it into the net. You'll just need to adjust to make sure you're hitting in the service box.

On your backhand there's several stances. The open stance, the box stance (semi-open) and the closed stance. It seems like your coach is probably old and trying to teach the closed stance.

On your backhand is the changing your grip the problem? The best way to change grips is always go back to the continental after a shot. Then as you see the ball come you change your grip. Which will only be a half of a turn instead of a full turn, and a lot easier to change and switch grips. I'll post pictures of the different grips.

ok. i see on the back hand part...im ready to see the pics of the grip...but the serve..im a lil confused on what im supposed to do. have any pics for that? XP thanks for the helP! ^ ^

Guest supa'Wanki

How do I get enough topspin on the ball on a forehand? I see balls that always look like it's going to go out, but SUDDENLY it falls.

To get topspin the best grip is either a semi-western or a western grip. You have a high to low motion and you aim for the top of the ball and brush up on it instead of hit it.

It creates spin on top of the ball which makes it drop. And yeah, I'll post some pictures and a movie or something of my serves in slow motion to give you an idea.

Guest trueloveway

going to watch the australian open on thursday. 15 years of living in australia and this is my first time -_- fingers crossed that i'll see federer in action and get his autograph.

Guest supa'Wanki

To get topspin the best grip is either a semi-western or a western grip. You have a high to low motion and you aim for the top of the ball and brush up on it instead of hit it.

It creates spin on top of the ball which makes it drop. And yeah, I'll post some pictures and a movie or something of my serves in slow motion to give you an idea.

I'm still confused.. lol, I can get topspin, but not those weird deadly ones...

I meant to say from low to high for the topspin. I was thinking of something else (slice).

The dead ones? Probably underspin which is when you go from high to low (slice).

Making the ball suddenly drop you need to add a lot of topspin more brushing up on the ball less hitting through it.

Guest xKrNbAbOx

hello! i have a question i think i fixed my serve but where is ur left arm supposed to end?? i throw the ball up..my new coach says to let it drop next to ur side...my old coach said to put it to ur chest. which one is correct...ive been doing as my new coach says but my serves stink and today when i did what my old coach said it worked better...but now i have to adjust my grip. ?__? and how can i become a stronger player? like hit harder and the ball still goes in?

Guest supa'Wanki

I meant to say from low to high for the topspin. I was thinking of something else (slice).

The dead ones? Probably underspin which is when you go from high to low (slice).

Making the ball suddenly drop you need to add a lot of topspin more brushing up on the ball less hitting through it.

wouldn't that be easy to hit if it goes slow, when your opponent goes for a drop-hit?

I also see you in Tennis-warehouse

Guest certifiedPSYCHOPATH

And now Hewitt is out of the competition! Yay! He lost 6-4 6-4 6-7 (8-10) 6-2 to Juan Ignacio Chela.

Yes! B)

YES! woot woot~

as much as i didn't like hewitt, i don't like chela either...but one had to stay <_<

chela'll go tomorrow for sure!

YAY! both williams' out!!!!!!!

^ hewitt always swears or says something when he loses.. my sister was there on the night.. heheh i saw her on tv.. but he lost face when he lost

Guest certifiedPSYCHOPATH

^there's always an excuse

court is too slow...event organisers should do more to support aussies...blah blah blah

he's richard simmons anyway

i'm rootin' for kim clijsters/svetlana kuznetsova in the womens...mens? <_< safin but he's not even here i guess roddick'll do

Archived