Tennis

Guest supa'Wanki

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest unforgettable

i want a new racket! i currently use a triad, but i just feel like i want a new racket. i don't have really weak hits, but they're not that powerful either. i like light rackets too, and i'm not too great at aiming. does this help? i've only been playing for a few months, but i want to upgrade. price isn't really in issue, so any suggestions? oh and... i need tips. i suck at net. like really suck suck suck. i feel really bad for my partner cuz i always let the balls fly past me. ehh.. i think i'm too scared, ive been hit at the net like 4 times already. not cool. if the balls are towards the middle and i'm at the net, am i responsible for those ones? or should i just let my partner get them?

Guest DanTat

^ohh, i used to use a triad, it's actually the best racquet i have used when it comes to wanting light racquets

but you can try out some racquets at

www.tenniswarehouse.com (all you need to do is pay for shipping) and see

what fits you (i recommend trying some babolats although some are heavy, and the head flexpoint racquets)

as for net play, all i can say is to keep playing, the more you play, the better your reflexes will be, and the better you will be :D, good luck

Guest truexskills

what do you guys feel about the flexpoint series/babolat/prince O3/wilson n-code rackets? im seriously into the flexpoints, except that for me head seems extremely light, and im currently using two dunlop rackets that i've had since 8th grade..im not too into the princes and the iwlsons look pretty nice..

and im sorta in a dilemma

i have a flat serve that definitely goes fast..only truely experienced players can return it back with force

but...its terribly inconsistent..when gone wrong, it goes out or turns into an avg serve

i would have to say i can only serve it about 20-30 percent with dominant force..but it is the high risk hig reward kind of serve..you know? lol..aces, unable to return them at all..etc.

and then i have a different serve, which is bascially my slice except a bit faster and more drastic with the spin..except this is just an avg serve that only slightly throws opponents off, unless i decide to do something crazy with the amount of spin on the ball..however, this first serve would have probably around 80-90 percent assurance...

even with my groundstrokes, i was all about right timing, strong htiting with force, except things are naturally steering toward top spins and such..

i've got a tournament in 2 weeks coming off of my first place finish of the last one, and i think i've most liekly gotta decide now..in the previous tournament, my flat serve was beginning to lose touch and i had an ankle injyur and wdas forced to go with the slice serve..which was ok..except most players were able to return it ok except when i did soemthing crazy, (with the clay courts giving me somewhat of an advantage)

Guest Oops!

what do you guys feel about the flexpoint series/babolat/prince O3/wilson n-code rackets? im seriously into the flexpoints, except that for me head seems extremely light, and im currently using two dunlop rackets that i've had since 8th grade..im not too into the princes and the iwlsons look pretty nice..

and im sorta in a dilemma

i have a flat serve that definitely goes fast..only truely experienced players can return it back with force

but...its terribly inconsistent..when gone wrong, it goes out or turns into an avg serve

i would have to say i can only serve it about 20-30 percent with dominant force..but it is the high risk hig reward kind of serve..you know? lol..aces, unable to return them at all..etc.

and then i have a different serve, which is bascially my slice except a bit faster and more drastic with the spin..except this is just an avg serve that only slightly throws opponents off, unless i decide to do something crazy with the amount of spin on the ball..however, this first serve would have probably around 80-90 percent assurance...

even with my groundstrokes, i was all about right timing, strong htiting with force, except things are naturally steering toward top spins and such..

i've got a tournament in 2 weeks coming off of my first place finish of the last one, and i think i've most liekly gotta decide now..in the previous tournament, my flat serve was beginning to lose touch and i had an ankle injyur and wdas forced to go with the slice serve..which was ok..except most players were able to return it ok except when i did soemthing crazy, (with the clay courts giving me somewhat of an advantage)

I personally use a Wilson and I love it. Its very accurate esp when I try one of those "Henin" backhands. Would definately recommend them any day :lol:

As for your serving problem, I would say use your slice. See how Nadal serves? He isn't really dealing out anything crazy but he is very consistent. One of the reasons Federer lost today is because he couldn't really do much against the 85-86% first service percent from Nadal.

Unless you got a good second kick serve like Federer does, 20-30% accuracy will def kill you....

Ok got to run, I will get back to you and all of the other great posts on this thread a bit later.

Good luck with the tourny :)

Guest mistapooh

You are only as good as your second serve dude. Try asking someone to critique your first serve. Perhaps you are short ( no offence, but it matters in tennis )? Look into "twist serves" and "topspin" serves. Don't put off spin serves as a hindrance. An alumni of my highschool is around 5'3" and he was ranked 10 in the state of Texas back then. All of his shots have serious pace on them, and I'm sure he doesn't blast flat serves all the time =).

About the rackets...it's all preference man. You probably have seen many different players using different rackets and are still good. Go with what feels good. I don't recommend the Wilson though, judging from the headsize and speculations on your type of game....I would trust babolat if I was you.

Guest truexskills

actually, i was around 5'9-5'10 around my eighth grade - freshman year

so i don't consider myself short i suppose lol

and based on hard facts on the rackets, i guess im looking for more of a power racket that isn't overly weighty/heavy but with a little flexibility so that in some cases i can have some sort of accuracy..

Guest truexskills

Nahhh, if you are going to get better, then a light racket isn't what you are looking for.

i've been playing with heavy rackets for over 3-4 years..i thought that it would be time to change and get adapted to a lighter one over the summer..owuldn't it cuase less stress for your arm after a lot of practice?

and at first what lured me was how cool the flexpoints look :phew:

Guest n4n45h1

whoa 115-120?

thats pretty extreme, but the tennis ball loses half its speed by the time it passes the net and people dont realize that their balls really arent going at that high of a speed xP its sorta the..oh shoot the balls coming at me really fast kinda thing it plays around with your depth perception >___<

Guest mistapooh

i've been playing with heavy rackets for over 3-4 years..i thought that it would be time to change and get adapted to a lighter one over the summer..owuldn't it cuase less stress for your arm after a lot of practice?

and at first what lured me was how cool the flexpoints look :phew:

No, you'll hurt your arms more using a lighter racket, especially if you playing against heavy balls. If you must get a flexpoint, the flexpoint prestige has some nice reviews =).

Oh, about the speed thing. I think what...pro tournaments measure speed of ball when it leaves the racket head. I clocked my topspin serve at 95 mph ( body can't use flat serve), and the speed radar was at the net so I know my serve can't be 190 mph =/.

Guest mistapooh

anyone following french open? =/ Nadal has a blog up at the atptennis site also if anyone is interested....

Guest Paper Wings

I'm watching the Hingis/Raymond match right now. I'm rooting for Amelie Mauresmo cause I didn't like how she won her first grand slam and it would great if she won this one in her homeland.

Guest truexskills

did andy just lose again?

sry not followin th eopen..school is killing me..

well..the clay kills the americans again..

anyone have any info about blake involving the second round or predictions..etc.?

Guest Paper Wings

Andy had to retire because of an ankle injury that he sustained 1 week prior to the French Open. He was down 4-6 5-7 0-1 when he decided that he couldn't continue.

Guest KIM_SAYS:

Sooo disappointing. I caught a bit of the match this morning before leaving for school. I thought for sure he was going to come back.

So Agassi's not playing this year?

So Agassi's not playing this year?

He skipped the entire clay season (including the French Open) due to injury. He's scheduled to appear in the Queen's club tournament (Stella Artois C'ships) in June (12-18).

Guest mistapooh

I caught the first 2 games with Fed against Fallas and it was brutal. Fed won 7 out of 11 points with 5 winners in the first 2 games!!!!

Archived