Cha Seung-Won 차승원 [Upcoming Movies: “Believer 2”, “Tyrant”, “ War and Revolt”]

Helena

Related mention 

May 9, 2019

Making reality television isn’t all fun and games: Producers talk about the struggles of casting and developing original content

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

The PDs also responded to growing complaints that most tvN reality shows were becoming replicas of one another since celebrity cooking show “Three Meals a Day” aired its first episode in 2014 to tremendous success. Many of tvN’s subsequent food-related shows, such as “Youn’s Kitchen,” “Coffee Friends,” “Miss Korea” and “Korean Hostel in Spain,” all involve Korean celebrities going abroad or to an idyllic place like Jeju Island to cook for regular customers or guests. 

Photos: Bae Jung Nam

• 2 months later...

August 6, 2019

Cha Seung-won, Ma Dong-seok and Park Jung-min Ready to Take Over Chuseok

Source: SportsSeoul via HanCinema.net

photo1089327.jpg

Cinemas are ready for Chuseok.

While "Exit - Movie" got in the way of Disney and is in the midst of a flurry of success along with "The Divine Fury", there are films that are coming out this Chuseok with high expectations. Chuseok this year is about 10 days earlier than last year, therefore movies will be out that much earlier as well.

Unlike previous holidays, there are no sageuk films this year. Rather, there are criminal action, comedy and more. Heading the lead are Cha Seung-won, Ma Dong-seok and Park Jung-min.

photo1089328.jpg

"Cheer Up Mister Lee" is a comedy about a childish father and a mature daughter. Cha Seung-won comes back for the first time in 12 years with this flick after many years of having led Korean comedy to success. Some of his successful films in this genre are are "Kick the Moon", "Jail Breakers - No. 815", "Ghost House" and more.

Director Lee Gye-byeok is also a master of comedy who succeeded with "Luck.Key", hitting the 6.97 million mark.

Ma Dong-seok, a future worldwide star with his participation in the latest MARVEL film, "Eternals", is coming out this Chuseok with "Bad Guys: The Movie". Based on a popular drama from 2014, "Bad Guys: The Movie" is a criminal action movie about those who track down an escapee from a prison bus.

Starring alongside Ma Dong-seok and Kim Sang-joong are Kim Ah-joong and Jang Ki-yong. The on-screen story is looked forward to, as the drama received good reviews and was said to have opened a new horizon in genre pieces. More than anything else, it is a new crime action by Ma Dong-seok, who conquered theaters during the Chuseok holiday in 2017 through "The Outlaws". "Bad Guys: The Movie" comes out on the 11th of September.

"Tazza: One-Eyed Jacks" also joins the competition. "Tazza: The High Rollers", which was released in 2006 and became a popular series representing the Chuseok holidays, is determined to solidify its reputation as the third of this year. In the story of tazzas risking their lives and going all-in for 'the One-Eyed Jack' which is a chance to change their lives, Ryoo Seung-bum and Park Jung-min take the lead. Fans are excited, as Park Jung-min and Ryoo Seung-bum join hands.

Sources say, "It is true that sageuk films have not been very successful in recent years for Chuseok. The trend has been reflected in the popularity of content that can be enjoyed with family members or friends during the holidays, rather than complex or heavy messages".

August 7, 2019

Comedic talents team up for ‘Cheer Up, Mr. Lee’

By Yoon Min-sik The Korea Herald

Cha seung-won is a rather peculiar presence in the Korean cinema scene. Standing 188-centimeters tall without a hair out of place, his model-turned-actor looks like a slick James Bond villain, but he has left a lasting mark as a funnyman in early to late 2000s.

The actor will appear in his first comedy film since 2007 as an overgrown man-child in the upcoming “Cheer Up, Mr. Lee.” He plays the protagonist Cheol-su, who comes face-to-face with a daughter he never knew existed.

“I’ve always loved comedy ... Even though I haven’t appeared in a comedy film in a while, I think I did comedy in ‘Believer,’” said Cha during a press conference in Seoul on Wednesday. His character in the 2018 thriller was an unorthodox, unhinged mob boss with an unpredictable edge, whose wacky attitude treads a fine line between funny and creepy.

20190807000471_0.jpg
“Cheer Up, Mr. Lee” (NEW)

“I’ve been wanting to show a broader spectrum in the next film, and the producer (of ‘Believer’) recommended this film, saying that it would make a great ‘human comedy.’ I had no pressure since it was already my favorite genre.”

Teaming up with Cha is Lee Gae-byok, whose relative short list of filmography includes 2015 hit comedy “Luck Key.” In that film, he cast talented character actor Yoo Hae-jin in the leading role and cooked up a hilarious fish-out-of-water story. 

“This film is ‘warmer’ and funnier than ‘Luck Key.’ Innocent and weird Cheol-su meets up with his daughter, who appears out of nowhere, and embarks on a fun trip,” Lee said, adding that it was an honor to work with Cha, whose heydays in the early-2000s led to many comedy gems like “Kick the Moon,” “Jail Breakers,” and “Teacher Mr. Kim.” 

“The basic element of comedy is having good actors. I think (the audience) can expect something very different from ‘Luck Key,’ an evolved sort of comedy.”

Joining the cast is another actor from “Believer,” Park Hae-jun, an actor known for playing a baddy, who said he wanted to make a film that can show his kids.

Child actor Eom Chae-yeong will play the protagonist Cheol-su’s daughter who has a crucial impact on his life, with the cast commenting on how much she has in common with the character.

Jeon Hye-bin, along with veteran actors Kim Hye-ok and Ahn Gil-kang will also appear in the film.

“Cheer Up, Mr. Lee” will hit the local theaters next month, during Chuseok holidays.

By Yoon Min-sik (minsikyoon@heraldcorp.com)

August 8, 2019

‘Cheer Up, Mr. Lee’ is genuine family fun

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

07201031.jpg

From left, actors Cha Seung-won, Um Chae-young, Kim Hye-ok, Jeon Hye-bin, Park Hae-jun and director Lee Gae-byok pose for photos at a press conference to promote their comedy film “Cheer Up, Mr. Lee” at Apgujeong CGV in southern Seoul. [NEWS1]

Actor Cha Seung-won will be back on the big screen in the upcoming comedy “Cheer Up, Mr. Lee,” slated to premiere in time for the Chuseok harvest holidays in September. 

The actor plays a handsome but dim-witted man named Cheol-soo who jumps right into fatherhood after suddenly discovering that he has a child. 

Cha says that he always feels right at home when he acts in comedies. “There was a period when I didn’t want parts in comedy movies because I was in so many of them in the early 2000s,” said Cha at a press conference held on Wednesday. “But looking back now [after] shooting this film, I realize that these films give me the energy boost I need.” 

The actor added that his fans seemed to love his comedic roles more than his others, giving him all the more reason to say yes to the part. 

“It truly was an honor to have Cha star in my film,” said director Lee Gae-byok, whose recent works include the 2016 box-office hit “Luck-Key.” 

“I’m not exaggerating when I say that it was my lifelong dream as a director to work with Cha, because he was in so many funny films when I was a newbie in the film industry.” 

Park Hae-jun, who plays Cheol-soo’s younger brother Young-soo, is tackling the comedy genre for the first time. “I’ve played a lot of scary and dark roles over the years, but my real personality is closer to that of Young-soo, whom I could relate to since I am a bit sloppy and vague too.” Park hopes that he can watch the film together with his child. 

Child actor Um Chae-young plays the role of Setbyol, a child with leukemia who meets Cheol-soo when her grandmother introduces him to her as her father.

“I’ve always stuck to the script, but Cha started doing ad-libs on the set,” Um said. “That’s when I realized that I could do it too, and Lee really liked what we did.” 

Cha praised the young actor’s acting skills. “I’ve met and worked with many child actors, and to be good at their role, they need some form of resemblance,” Cha said. “And there is something so pure about Um that matched perfectly with her character Setbyol.” 

However, there are several father-daughter films that revolve around a childish father and an adult-like child, the most successful recent example being “Miracle in Cell No. 7” (2013). 

When asked about what differentiates the film from the others, Cha replied that there is a “special incident” that turns the story upside down. 

“It’s too much of a spoiler to be revealed here right now, but I guarantee that the audience will feel the difference when they see it,” according to the actor. 

“We were like one big family on the set,” the director said during his final note. “I hope many families visit their local theaters to see the film all together.” 

BY LEE JAE-LIM [lee.jaelim@joongang.co.kr]

Source: Soompi

7. Korean Hostel In Spain

korean-hostel-in-spain.jpg

“Korean Hostel In Spain” is a spin-off of “Three Meals a Day,” but it’s definitely still worth the watch if you like the idea of seeing Cha Seung Won, Bae Jeong Nam, and Yoo Hae Jin setting up a hostel in Spain.

It seems like a random concept, but it’s an intriguing one. The three stars set up a hostel along the path of the famous Santiago pilgrimage in Spain. They provide beds, showers, and delicious home-cooked meals for their guests. You meet some intriguing travelers who are going on this 800-kilometer journey, and you’ll almost feel a bit jealous of their carefree nature. You’ll also find your mouth watering from all the delicious meals that Cha Seung Won cooks up! Check out this clip of him cooking a simple breakfast:

August 19, 2019

CHA Seung-won Returns to Comedy Genre for Chuseok Holidays

LUCK-KEY Director Aiming for Box Office Glory with CHEER UP, MR. LEE

by Pierce Conran KOFIC

haIxJiSyjkuiFrEmtzPA.jpg

CHA Seung-won is returning to screens next month in the Chuseok holiday title CHEER UP, MR. LEE, the latest comedy-drama from LUCK-KEY (2016) director LEE Gae-byok.

CHEER UP, MR. LEE  features CHA as Cheol-soo, a simple-minded man with good looks and a strong physique who one day discovers that he has a daughter, Saet-byeol, who is very sick. The unlikely pair end up going on a trip together.

Model-turned-actor CHA first made his name on the big screen through several hit comedies with directors KIM Sang-jin (Kick The Moon, 2001) and JANG Jin (Murder, Take One, 2005), but CHEER UP, MR. LEE will mark his return to the genre since 2007’s Small Town Rivals.

Among CHA’s co-star will be PARK Hae-joon as Cheol-soo’s brother Young-soo. The actors recently appeared on screen together in LEE Hae-young’s hit thriller Believer (2018), a remake of Johnny TO’s Chinese film Drug War.

Director LEE scored box office gold with his LUCK-KEY, a remake of the Japanese comedy Key of Life, which saw YOO Hae-jin’s hitman and LEE Joon’s wannabe actor trade places. The film drew almost seven million viewers to theaters. LEE also made the 2005 romantic comedy The Beast and the Beauty.

The film, which shot for three months during summer last year, will be released during next month’s holidays by Next Entertainment World. CONTENTS PANDA is handling the film’s international sales.

August 23, 2019

CHA Seung-won, KIM Sung-kyun and LEE Kwang-soo Fall into SINKHOLE
THE TOWER Director Returns to Disaster Genre

by Pierce Conran KOFIC

TQHhZuQaFsenxdLGEIHm.jpg

The Tower (2012) director KIM Ji-hoon is returning to the disaster genre for his next project Sinkhole (working title). CHA Seung-won, KIM Sung-kyun and LEE Kwang-soo will star in the action-comedy tentpole.

The story concerns a man who finally buys a home after saving up for 11 years, only for it to almost immediately collapse into a sinkhole.

Superstar CHA Seung-won, recently seen in the action-thriller Believer (2018), will feature as a neighbor who works several part-time jobs as he raises his son. KIM Sung-kyun, a character actor known for a slew of roles since his memorable first appearance on screen in 2012’s Nameless Gangster : Rules of the Time, will portray the hapless new homeowner, while LEE Kwang-soo of this year’s Inseparable Bros and the upcoming Tazza: One Eyed Jack will play his office subordinate who gets stuck with him in the sinkhole.

The disaster action-comedy genre is enjoying a surge in popularity at the moment following the success of the still in-theaters EXIT, with JO Jung-suk and Yoon-a, which has become the top selling local title of the summer with close to eight million admissions (USD 54.82 million) to date.

Director KIM Ji-hoon is known for the gangster drama Mokpo, Gangster’s Paradise (2004), the political drama May 18 (2007), the action-drama Sector 7 (2011) and the disaster drama The Tower (2012). He recently shot the high school thriller I Want to See Your Parents’ Faces, which is currently awaiting release.

Sinkhole kicks off production this month. Production will be handled by The Tower Pictures while Showbox is on board for financing and distribution.

September 4, 2019

Cha Seung Won Responds To Being Named One Of The Actors Directors Most Want To Work With

Source: Soompi by E. Cha

Cha Seung Won Responds To Being Named One Of The Actors Directors Most Want To Work With

In a recent interview and pictorial for High Cut magazine, Cha Seung Won talked about the importance of comedy and his philosophy as an actor.

Cha Seung Won will be starring in the upcoming film “Cheer Up, Mr. Lee” as a man who suddenly learns that he has a daughter and decides to embark on a trip with her. Although the film has many serious elements, it is ultimately a comedy, and Cha Seung Won reflected on the fact that comedy movies have been doing particularly well at the Korean box office recently.

“I think that in the past, Korean films tended to lean towards certain genres in particular,” said the actor. “But now, in many ways, it’s a hard world to live in, and it seems like we need content that can comfort the anxieties of viewers. I think that’s why the comedy genre is returning to the spotlight.”

He added, “Additionally, I’ve always liked genres that have an element of humor. Whether it’s a thriller or an action movie, regardless of the genre, I like films that are based on a foundation of laughter.”

Cha-Seung-Won-2.jpg

When asked how he felt about movie buffs referring to him as a particularly reliable and “delicious” comic actor, Cha Seung Won replied, “I think it’s because I’ve specifically filmed a lot of comedy movies. I like the expression ‘delicious.’ It sounds good. Maybe it’s because I’ve shown myself cooking on a lot of variety programs, but I think the expression is fitting.”

Finally, Cha Seung Won shared his thoughts on being named one of the actors with whom directors most want to work together.

The actor remarked humbly, “Actually, I’m not someone who takes particularly good care of the staff [on set]. It’s just that I don’t want to cause them any trouble or inconvenience. So I always make sure to be on time, and I feel responsible for fulfilling my duties in regards to my part of filming. I don’t always express it, but I feel very grateful to the production crew.”

Cha-Seung-Won-3.jpg

“To be honest,” he went on, “I still feel awkward about the title of ‘actor.’ I keep wondering if it’s a title that suits me, but I hope that it becomes a title that I don’t feel embarrassed about and that I can live up to.”

“Cheer Up, Mr. Lee” is currently scheduled to hit theaters on September 11.

Source (1)

September 5, 2019

In ‘Cheer Up,’ there are laughs and tears:

Actor Cha Seung-won returns to comedy in a role that’s more than just jokes

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

04200504.jpg
[NEXT ENTERTAINMENT WORLD]

After 12 years away, Cha Seung-won has returned to comedy. But his latest film “Cheer Up, Mr. Lee” might have audiences reaching for tissues instead of doubling over in laughter.

The film tells the story of the extremely handsome and muscular, but dim-witted Cheol-soo, who is beloved by everyone in his town. However, he discovers one day that he had fathered a daughter named Saet-byeol, and she’s sick, suffering from leukemia.

This is no typical father-daughter bonding story, as it covers the 2003 Daegu subway fire tragedy that resulted in 192 deaths, 21 missing persons, and 148 injures due to the fire that arose from Jungangno station, line No. 1. Later in the story, it is discovered that Cheol-soo’s lack of intelligence is actually a form of trauma from the fire.

“I want this film to do well [in the box office] because of the director Lee Gae-byok,” Cha said in an interview with the Korea JoongAng Daily. “The style of each film reflects the personality of the director, and the film is pure and sincere like Lee.” The actor met with the press at a cafe in Samcheong-dong, central Seoul, to discuss his upcoming film, slated to premiere on Sept. 11.

04200544.jpg
Left, Um Chae-young, left, and Cha Seung-won play daughter and father in “Cheer Up, Mr. Lee.” Right, Park Hae-jun, left, and Cha play brothers Young-soo and Cheol-soo. [NEXT ENTERTAINMENT WORLD]

Q. It’s possible that viewers expecting a good old laugh may feel betrayed by the twists in the story. Are you worried?

A. I actually am. But I think the majority of the people would feel the same way that I did when I played my character Cheol-soo, because the film expresses gratitude to those working hard to ensure people’s safety but are hidden from the mainstream. The film has pure intentions - it’s not degrading, distorting or defaming these people. Instead, it sheds light on the work they do and how the society appreciates them [and the sacrifices they make] to save lives.

Why do you want this film to do well in the box office because of the director?

Because I want to work with him for a long time. He is such a pure person, and I think the film reflects how the director sees the world. I mean, I can’t meet up with him and reminisce over our time together if the film fails (laughs). I want the film to be successful so that I can continue to work with him and be friends for a long time.

What part of the character or story made you take on the role?

I wasn’t aware that I haven’t done a comedy in 12 years. But I think it was more about the character and his relationship with his daughter that lured me in [rather than the genre.]

All of us have some faults or deficiencies, whether or not they can be seen or hidden from the surface, right? [In the story], at first it looks like the dumb father and the sick daughter would be of no help to each other in this harsh, cruel world.

But they slowly figure out that they can rely on each other and help each other out. Although Cheol-soo became less intelligent, he can still protect and support his daughter in his own way. [When I read the script], I thought “at the very least they won’t be lonely because they are together.”

There is a scene where Cheol-soo feels helpless because it seems like there is nothing he can do to help his daughter. But for Saet-byeol, her world has become a better place with him in it.

Did you have any difficulties adapting to the different atmosphere in the latter half of the film?

I can’t say that it wasn’t difficult. I did a lot of research, looking up YouTube videos and documentaries about people who suffer from traumatic events. And since the mood in the latter half of the story is different, it was hard to adjust that to the character too. But I concentrated more on the first part of the story, setting the tone of the character and fitting into the role before Cheol-soo tackles his past later.

Why do you think you stayed away from comedy for so long?

I don’t know why. I guess it just happened that way. But I actually love black comedies and humorous characters with faults. I don’t know if it’s because I’m that kind of person, but I feel more attached to such characters than darker ones. That doesn’t mean I dislike darker characters though. But people nowadays seem to prefer stronger films that can offer certain catharsis or excitement through a series of action sequences that they won’t be able to experience in real lives. I mean, I know how to pose and play characters that appear in these types of scenes, but I still love to portray characters with their own faults that also provide warmth to viewers.

But there is one genre I cannot do at all: horror films. I can’t even see images from horror movies, because they constantly pop up in my mind. Films like “Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum” (2017) are so horrifying.

Do you think your personal experience as a father comes out in your portrayal of Cheol-soo?

I believe so. I think that myself as a father with my love for my own daughter was portrayed in the film. I can’t deny that.

My next film is also a comedy (tentatively titled “Sink Hole”) but the film after that might be very dark. As I’ve said before, I like all types of films but when I play a strong or cold-blooded character, I do feel a bit hesitant to say yes to the darker roles because I also think about my own daughter [watching the films]. But for this year’s Chuseok holiday, I think we’ll be fine (laughs).

BY LEE JAE-LIM [lee.jaelim@joongang.co.kr]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

biff2019.jpg

October 4, 2019

Showbox Launches ‘Sinkhole’ Sales at Busan Market (EXCLUSIVE)

By SONIA KIL Variety.com

Showbox, one of South Korea’s leading studios, is launching sales of disaster comedy “Sinkhole” at the Busan International Film Festival’s Asian Film Market. Helmed by “The Tower” director Kim Ji-hoon, the film is the story of the events that follow the appearance of an urban sinkhole that swallows an entire apartment building.

It stars fashion model-turned-actor Cha Seung-won (“Cheer Up, Mr. Lee”), Kim Sung-kyun (“Fengshui”) and Lee Kwang-soo (“Tazza: One Eyed Jack”). Aiming for a 2020 release, “Sinkhole” started shooting in August and is currently in production.

Showbox is also handling international sales of “The Man Standing Next,” a film by “Inside Men” director Woo Min-ho. Based on the fact-based novel of the same title, “Man Standing Next” tells an untold story of Korean Central Intelligence Agency and its political maneuvering in the 1970s. With a star-studded cast that includes Lee Byung-hun (“Inside Men”), Lee Sung-min (“Spy Gone North”), and Kwak Do-won (“Steel Rain”), the political drama is in post-production now and is set for a local release later in the year.

Other titles that Showbox is selling at the Busan market include “Man of Men,” and “The Golden Holiday.”

“Men,” which opened in local cinemas ahead of the Busan festival, is Yong Soo’s directorial feature debut. It features star actors Sul Kyung-gu (“Birthday”) and Cho Jin-woong (“Intimate Strangers”). The comedy drama is the story of a lawyer who is diagnosed with a terminal illness and asks a low-level hoodlum doing community service to help him complete his bucket list, in return for a large part of his life insurance settlement.

“Ordinary Person” director Kim Bong-han’s action comedy “Holiday” revolves around a laid-back countryside detective who takes his family to The Philippines for an anniversary, but does so with a hidden purpose of tracking down an old friend who scammed him and disappeared. Currently in post-production, “Holiday” stars Kwak Do-won, Kim Dae-myeung (“Drug King”), Kim Sang-ho (“The Negotiation”) and Kim Hie-won (“Missing”).

• 1 month later...

November 20, 2019

typewriter.gif 18 Seasoned K-Drama Actors Who Always Give Us Butterflies

Source: Soompi by binahearts

18 Seasoned K-Drama Actors Who Always Give Us Butterflies

We have all been through it. You watch a series or catch a glimpse of an actor who makes your heart flutter and when you look up their age, you’re surprised to see how much older they are. This doesn’t take away from the fact that they are totally swoon-worthy and it makes it all the more exciting when you can look up the long history of K-dramas and movies that they may have starred in throughout their life. Win! Here’s a look at 18 K-drama actors who are a bit older and still manage to give us butterflies.

Disclaimer: The actors on this list are above 40 years old. Also, this list is in no particular order.

searchdoc.gifCha Seung Won

Model, actor, family man, and chef – This man has got it all and it’s really no wonder why people can’t help but fall for him time and time again.

Check out this clip of Cha Seung Won cooking a Korean noodle dish (and the side dishes) from scratch:

Gwangbokjeol teuksa

Two inmates successfully escape their prison only to find out that they are among those who'll get early release for the Korean National Liberation day. Now they have to get back into the prison in time to avoid further mayhem. you can download in https://y2mate.io/ of this movie.

• 4 months later...

https://zapzee.net/2020/04/01/yoo-hae-jin-cha-seung-won-son-ho-juns-three-meals-a-day-is-coming-back/
Yoo Hae Jin & Cha Seung Won & Son Ho Jun’s ‘Three Meals a Day’ Is Coming Back

by krishkim

The famous tvN’s Three Meals a Day is coming back.

DDAA84E4-D8B9-4627-963C-8D25BC70E6A4.jpg

Credit: tvN

Recently, the entire entertainment industry is avoiding any filming done in overseas. KBS2’s Battle Trip and tvN’s Salty Tour have either ended or taking a break. Also tvN’s 4 Wheeled Restaurant has moved their filming location to Korea, contrary to their original intention.

In March, producer Na Young Seok originally planned on taking Youn Yeo Jung, Lee Seo Jin, Jung Yoo Mi and Park Seo Joon overseas to film tvN’s Youn’s Kitchen 3, but delayed the schedule to the second half of the year.

However, tvN’s Three Meals a Day will be coming back. They plan on going out to the mountains, the seas or the fields to minimize the movements. Currently, the production team has completed their pre-survey and will leave with Cha Seung Won, Yoo Hae Jin and Son Ho Jun in the middle of April.

The female version of tvN’s Three Meals a Day aired last year, starring Yeom Jung Ah, Yoo Se Ah, and Park So Dam. The combination of Cha Sung Won and Yoo Hae Jin, in particular, is back in exactly four years since 2016. The two came together for tvN’s Boarding House in Spain last year.

Source (1)

https://zapzee.net/2020/05/01/three-meals-a-day-fishing-village-5-with-cha-seung-won-yoo-hae-jin-and-son-ho-jun-premiere-today/
‘Three Meals a Day: Fishing Village 5’ with Cha Seung Won, Yoo Hae Jin and Son Ho Jun Premiere Today

By krishkim 

New series of Three Meals a Day is back.

9E14E747-BC7C-42AB-A595-C58A9AC34DF3.jpg

Three Meals a Day is one of producer Na Young Suk’s representative entertainment shows. It is an outdoor variety show where the cast eat three meals a day in nature.  Starting with Three Meals a Day: Jeongseon Village 1, starring Ok Taec Yeon and Lee Seo Jin, which aired in 2014, Three Meals a Day: Fishing Village 1, starring Cha Seung Won, Yoo Hae Jin and Son Ho Jun, aired in 2015.

Most recently, the show’s 8th series Three Meals a Day: Mountain Village, starring Yum Jung Ah, Yoon Se Ah, and Park So Dam, aired last year.

In Three Meals a Day: Fishing Village 5, which will air its first episode on May 1, the original member of “Fishing Village” has come together. Despite the fact that it’s been five years since Cha Seung Won, Yoo Hae Jin and Son Ho Jun have come together, they will dive into their fishing life quickly and show comfortable and pleasant chemistry.

Cha Seung Won will showcase his amazing cooking skills, like always, whereas Yoo Hae Jin will continue his “production life” of making various things. Also Yoo Hae Jin was shown with his boat license in the trailer, drawing attention. Son Ho Jun will act as Cha Seung Won’s assistant once again. The fact that he enjoys all three meals despite being in the middle of his drama-filming schedules will provide a new laugh point.

Three Meals a Day: Fishing Village 5 will premiere at 9:10 p.m. on May 1 KST.

Source (1)

https://zapzee.net/2020/05/27/review-three-meals-a-day-fishing-village-5-they-might-be-lacking-but-they-are-perfect-when-theyre-together/
[Review] ‘Three Meals a Day: Fishing Village 5’ They Might Be Lacking, But They Are Perfect When They’re Together

By krishkim | Edited by Jeon Gyeong Ju | Translated by Kim Hoyeun

FCE309CF-41A1-4333-8839-31C7D555F7F0.jpg

Nowadays, when everyone is hesitant to go out amid COVID-19 pandemic, “Soneyi ChaYoo (Son Ho Jun, Cha Seung Won, Yoo Hae Jin)” family, who returned after five years, put a big smile on viewers’ faces. The first episode of tvN’s Three Meals a Day: Fishing Village 5, which aired on May 1, recorded an average of 9.3 percent viewership and peaked as high as 11.2 percent, ranking first in the same time slot (based on Nielsen Korea). Only the backdrop has changed from Manjae Island to Jukgul Island, the basic daily routine of the cast remains the same. Yet, it is clear that the pleasant and warm “family chemistry” of the three members was a great comfort to viewers who spend their days of tension and depression.

They Will Roll with What They Have

The new house of the three members, Jukgul Island, has an environment that is as unfamiliar as its name. It was only the beginning when the blue, bright sky the day before poured out rain the very next day. In Jukgul Island, where there are only three residents left, no passenger ships that stop by, and no convenience like “Manjae Supermarket,” self-sufficiency seemed more challenging than ever. However, this was not a problem for Cha Seung Won and Yoo Hae Jin, who showed a higher level of housekeeping through Boarding House in Spain last year. From Cha Seung Won, who provided perfect dining with limited ingredients, to Yoo Hae Jin, who acquired a boat license during his break and set out for ocean tour, the quick adaptability of a multi-skilled couple was jaw-dropping. Son Ho Jun, who became a 37-year-old “baby” of the group, also delighted viewers with his unwavering sincerity and colorful reactions.

“Oh Dong Baek” Gong Hyo Jin, Who Kept the Family’s Spirit Up

The “Three Meal House,” which had managed to keep the food on the table even with limited ingredients, faced a real crisis when the new guest Gong Hyo Jin arrived. They proudly wrote down fried fish on the menu, but failed to catch any fish. All they were left with were bits of turtle hands, sea snails, and some leftover yams and potatoes. To the three members who were constantly embarrassed by the poor situation, Gong Hyo Jin kept her smile and even apologized for not coming with her hands full. From doing the dishes to cleaning after eating and cooking, her kindness continued. In front of Gong Hyo Jin, who permeated into the family as if she were also a member, it was natural for the three to rekindle their passion for fishing. As such, family love was naturally formed, despite the fact that they were “fixed members” and “a guest,” and the function of community life was expressed in the best structure. This is why “Fishing Village” is probably the most beloved of Three Meals a Day series.

Though They Might Not Excell in Fishing, We Still Enjoy Their Lives

Spoiler

Is it because the ocean was impressed with the love of the three? In the fourth episode of Three Meals a Day: Fishing Village 5, which aired on May 22, Yoo Hae Jin succeeded in catching a stone octopus with a fish trap. Although Son Ho Jun was not present and Gong Hyo Jin returned home, it was enough to compensate for the disappointment and regret of all the fishing failures. Yoo Hae Jin triumphantly bluffed his success, and Cha Seung Won also expressed his joy at the unexpected catch of such big fish. In any case, whether Yoo Hae Jin succeeds or fails in fishing, Cha Seung Won will make delicious dishes, and Ho Jun will help the two smartly. And we will continue to support and sympathize with these three families, who are full of love and respect, as always.

Verdict: The virtue of ‘coexistence’ seems even more delicious in the midst of social distancing (8/10)

—————

https://zapzee.net/2020/05/18/pick-parents-in-korean-movies-who-will-warm-your-heart/
[PICK] Parents in Korean Movies Who Will Warm Your Heart

By krishkim | Edited by Hwang Hong Sun | Translated by Kim Hoyeun

Most of the Korean films that emphasize maternal and paternal love have “new wave” elements. We watch these even though we know we won’t be able to hold back the tears because we know that parental love depicted in movies is great. No matter how familiar the stories are, parents who put their children in front of everything and sacrifices themselves naturally touch the hearts. We look at these impressive parents in Korean movies, who warm our hearts just from remembering the scenes.

Along With the Gods: The Two Worlds – Ja Hong’s Mother 

Spoiler

BA1FE18C-C4BA-46BA-9516-D03D1730951D.png
PicCredit: Lotte Entertainment

The scene where Ja Hong’s mother forgives her son’s sins is filled with the intention of making the audience cry. There are voices of criticism because of its over-the-top dramatic story, but the scene leaves the most profound impression of the movie. When Ja Hong, who committed unforgivable sin against his mother to break away from poverty, is in danger of being sentenced to extreme punishment in the underworld, his mother forgives her son. She even apologizes to him and doesn’t express even the slightest resentment. It is hard to hold back tears when you see the motherly love of also embracing her son’s fault as her own.

The Show Must Go On – In Gu 

Spoiler

28A0F04D-31CD-41DD-8F5E-8FFC20B1F48A.png

The Show Must Go On depicts the story of a gangster who wants to become an ordinary head of a family, instead of focusing on loyalty and revenge, as he is conflicted between organization and family. Because there are many stories about In Gu’s work causing friction with his family, the sorrow he experiences as a head of household was quite realistic, regardless of his job. Song Kang Ho also played many father roles, including Parasite, The Host, The President’s Barber, A Taxi Driver, The Face Reader, and The Throne, so it might be fun to compare his performances in these films.

Miss Granny – Oh Mal Soon

Spoiler

F27EC55F-F4E9-4FE8-8452-3B3177FBB153.jpg
PicCredit: CJ Entertainment

Miss Granny tells the story of Oh Mal Soo, who suddenly returned to her youth. In the early parts, Oh Mal Soon, now 20-year-old grandmother, gives a big laugh with her strange behavior, but as the story progresses, the heartwarming family love is emphasized. In particular, the scene where she gives up her youth to save her grandson, who was severely injured by a car accident, jogs the tears, as it indeed reminds us of our own parents.

SORI: Voice from the Heart – Hae Gwan

Spoiler

023ABB53-11F3-4758-8FB2-415F5DF0EF4A.png

On the day of the Daegu subway accident in 2003, Hae Gwan’s daughter, Yoo Joo, goes missing. So the next ten years, Hae Gwan roamed around the entire country, searching for his missing daughter. Even when everyone thought of her to be dead, Hae Gwan chose to find her and finally has hopes that he may discover Yoo Joo when he encounters Robot Sori, which can tell of the location of people with their voices. Hae Gwan travels with Sori to search Yoo Joo, and belatedly realizes her feelings that he didn’t know at the time. The moment when Hae Won says to Sori, “I’m sorry for being too late,” touches the hearts as it feels like it’s the message he is sending to his daughter, who died during the accident.

Kim Ji-Young, Born 1982 – Mi Sook 

Spoiler

7D566E86-7FCB-4C3A-9AA7-125E974ED835.jpg

There is a scene in Kim Ji-Young, Born 1982 that stirs everyone’s emotions. It is a scene where Mi Sook, Ji Young’s mother, comes to take care of her sick daughter and sobs out her sorrow. Mi Sook expresses her sympathy and tells Ji Young, who struggles with various issues, to do as she wishes. At that moment, Ji Young is possessed by Mi Sook’s mother (Ji Young’s grandmother) and tries to comfort her mother instead. As soon as the name “Mi Sook” softly rings, our hearts start to pound. When we get to the scene where Mi Sook cries out with guilt, saying that she never realized Ji Young’s pain, you will be unable to stop your tears.

My Son – Kang Shik

E6940ED2-05A8-4FC3-BB1F-DF513E272444.jpg
PicCredit: Cinema Service

The movie tells the story of Kang Shik, who is serving a prison sentence, spending a day with his son Jun Seok, who he met for the first time in 15 years. The father and the son reunited after a long time don’t recognize each other’s faces, but the bigger problem is that they don’t know how to approach to each other. The father is ashamed that he is a criminal who was sentenced to prison for life, and the son is also unfamiliar with his father. However, as they spend the day together, they get closer to each other little by little and share the warm affection, going beyond the 15-year gap.

https://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/eng/news/interview.jsp?blbdComCd=601019&seq=382&mode=INTERVIEW_VIEW
CHEER UP, MR. LEE Director LEE Gae-byok

By KIM Su-bin | Oct 01, 2019

“I want to create human stories, films that resonate”

80474F1E-6926-437C-87BC-1E54A5A73AD3.jpg

LEE Gae-byok, director of the comedy LUCK-KEY (2016), is back with his new title CHEER UP, MR. LEE. The film shows what happens when a man and the daughter he never knew he had suddenly met one day and go on a trip together to an unfamiliar city. This film has many parallels with LUCK-KEY, in that both are stories of adventure and personal growth of a man with a mysterious past, but the way the message of comfort and connection is conveyed in this movie is more explicit. LEE Gae-byok served as assistant director on Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002) and first assistant director on Old Boy (2003) and has demonstrated all his affection and experience regarding comedy films since his debut The Beast and the Beauty (2005) after. This week, we sit down with him to talk about his new film which just hit Korean theaters.

You are releasing CHEER UP, MR. LEE just three years after LUCK-KEY. That is a very short time, considering LUCK-KEY took ten years to come out after The Beast and the Beauty.
I’m always working hard on my scripts and pitching ideas, so my desire to make movies remains unchanged. In the past, I may have had few opportunities to make comedies since a lot of stories more powerful than comedies were being made then, but fortunately the genre is now at a time where it has found its audience and I wondered if I couldn’t quickly make another film.

This movie started from a draft from Director HAN Jang-hyuk. What aspect of the scenario did you find the most appealing?
The scenario was completely different from the story we have now. It was about a sick girl who, knowing that she has only a short time to live, waits for the big sleep and teaches her handicapped father who is about to be left alone how to live. The scenario arrived on my desk after it had been revised through many drafts over the years. The Deagu subway fire (An arson that killed 192 people in a subway station of the city of Daegu in 2003, Ed.) was also included as flashback. I met with people affected by the disaster, thinking that since it was a big catastrophe and a heartbreaking event I would have to represent it a little bit more accurately, and they told me how much being forgotten breaks their heart. At that moment, I knew I had to make this film.

DD11D80B-471E-4AB6-A38A-7110C3671D6D.jpg

Several characters like the family members of the main characters, their friends and people met on the street, are connected to each other through various situations. You must have put a lot of work into elaborating these subplots.
My wish was that each encounter between a character and another one would be interesting and impactful. I also wanted to create individual circumstances that would pique the viewer’s curiosity, and to show the impact we are all having on each other with our lives, even when are far away.

In terms of narrative structure, the vast majority of the characters function as helpers of the father and daughter, with no villain.
The villain characters in most movies produce the tension of the drama, but I figured that for CHEER UP, MR. LEE, the Deagu subway fire would amply satisfy that antagonistic role. That’s why the characters never do anything worse than making Cheol-su and Saet-byeol’s trip more complicated.

We could say that CHEER UP, MR. LEE, just like LUCK-KEY, are dramas about the personal growth of persons searching for their true self. I was wondering what kind of stories you are drawn to?
My previous film, The Beast and the Beauty, was a drama about personal growth too. I don’t really know, I haven’t made enough movies so it is still too early to say what kind of stories I am drawn to. I just think I have consistently churned up personal growth dramas by coincidence. That said, ultimately, I’m drawn to human stories. I do attach great importance to form and style, but I still want to tell compassionate stories.

8069CC8B-3364-4F42-BB80-FBFC374AD255.jpg

Similarly to LUCK-KEY, this film, too, makes good use of the various charms of its cast. I’m curious about the reason that motivated your choice to cast CHA Seung-won. And have you also applied some of CHA’s characteristics to his role?
It is true that the depiction of the characters was important, given that it is a comedy film and a character-driven story. When I was wondering which actor could portray paternal love with this being a comedy film, CHA Seung-won was the first to come to mind. CHA Seung-won is also an actor appreciated by so many people, and the viewers already know so much about him, I didn’t want to deliberately take away from his personality. And so I aimed to reflect within the story his personality, for instance by establishing him as someone who declares he loves sports or who hide as tattoos the scars caused by the fire.

Is your experience working as an assistant director on Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and first assistant director on Old Boy influencing your film work?
That period spent making movies under PARK Chan-wook has been governing my film life. In fact, it’s safe to say that I have been following PARK for everything that pertains to location shooting or filmmaking.

You have mainly made feel-good movies. I would like to know more about the movies you personally like, and what kind of movies you would like to make in the future.
The movies I like are diverse. I enjoy watching comedies as well as horror movies. As for the directors I like, I might as well wonder, “What is the inclination of those people’s movies?” I really respect Shohei IMAMURA, Kiyoshi KUROSAWA, David LYNCH and Robert ZEMECKIS. I would like to create stories that have an impact while remaining fun, just like their movies.

—————

https://zapzee.net/2020/05/30/lee-seo-jin-to-be-the-last-guest-of-three-meals-a-day-fishing-village-5/
Lee Seo Jin to Be the Last Guest of ‘Three Meals a Day: Fishing Village 5’

by krishkim

Lee Seo Jin responded to Yoo Hae Jin’s love call.  On May 30, a source said that Lee Seo Jin is the last guest to appear on tvN’s Three Meals a Day: Fishing Village 5.  Lee Seo Jin will make a guest appearance and spend two days with Cha Seung Won, Yoo Hae Jin, and Son Ho Jun in Jukgul Island. He is the third guest of the show following Gong Hyo Jin and Lee Kwang Soo, and the last guest of the season.

There was a high interest in Lee Seo Jin’s appearance from the first episode. In the middle of the episode, Yoo Hae Jin asked producer Na Young Seok, “What is Lee Seo Jin doing these days? Tell him to visit.” Producer Na Young Seok immediately sent a message to Lee Seo Jin, saying, “It’s the first day of filming for the fishing village. Aren’t you coming?.” To which, Lee Seo Jin replied, “Tell them I’m sick.”  However, it seems that Lee Seo Jin eventually accepted Yoo Hae Jin’s request and will head to Jukgul Island.

Three Meals a Day: Fishing Village 5 aired its first episode of May 1 and just finished its 5th episode. Within three episode, the show hit 12.2 percent viewership, almost recording double viewership of blockbuster The King: Eternal Monarch, which airs around the same time.

Source (1)