Cha Seung-Won 차승원 [Upcoming Movies: “Believer 2”, “Tyrant”, “ War and Revolt”]

Helena

October 18, 2016

Actor Cha Seung-won To Walk Runway of Seoul Fashion Week

Source: KBS Global

n_20161018e_01.jpg

Having gotten his start as a model, actor Cha Seung-won will be going back to his roots, walking the runway for the upcoming Seoul Fashion Week.

Cha has been known to support designer friend Song Zio. This year, he'll be walking the runway for the designer at the upcoming 2017 S/S HERA Seoul Fashion Week. 

The event is scheduled for October 19.

배우 겸 모델 차승원. 사진 YG엔터테인먼트

Source

• 1 month later...

November 20, 2016

2016 Mnet Asian Music Awards Reveals First Lineup Of Presenters

Source: Soompi by R. Choi

2016 MAMA

The first lineup of presenters for the 2016 Mnet Asian Music Awards has been revealed!

After releasing the nominations and the first two artist lineups, the award ceremony has also released a first lineup, consisted of actors and actresses, to present the awards at the show.

The first lineup consists of multiple actors including Lee Byung Hun, Cha Seung Won, Ha Ji Won, Han Hyo Joo, Jang Hyuk, Han Ji Min, Park Ki Woong, and Park Min Young.

The Mnet Asian Music Awards is an annual end-of-year music award ceremony hosted by CJ E&M’s music channel Mnet. The 2016 award ceremony will take place on December 2 at the AsiaWorld-Expo in Hong Kong. You can vote for the nominees here.

Source (1)

November 21, 2016

Top Stars to announce awards at MAMA

CJ E&M announced on Monday that top Korean stars will be hosting the 2016 Mnet Asian Music Awards.

The list of top stars that will be presenting awards include actors Lee Byung-hun, Cha Seung-won, Ha Ji-won, Han Hyo-joo, Han Ji-min, Jang-hyuk and more. 

Nominees have been announced and online voting began on Oct. 28. Polls will remain open until Dec. 1. 

Voting is available at http://mama.mwave.me

The ceremony will take place on Dec. 2 at the Asia World-Expo in Hong Kong.

By Lee Sang-won (sangdoze@heraldcorp.com)

November 21, 2016

Mnet Asian Music Awards 2016:

Lee Byung Hun, Cha Seung Won, Ha Ji Won And More Confirmed For First Lineup Of Presenters

Dan Niel iTech Post

The Mnet Asian Music Awards 2016 will be held at the AsiaWorld-Expo in Hong Kong on Dec. 2.

The Mnet Asian Music Awards 2016 will be held at the AsiaWorld-Expo in Hong Kong on Dec. 2.

The Mnet Asian Music Awards (MAMA) announced the first lineup of presenters for this year's awards night. The 2016 award ceremony will be held for the fifth consecutive time at the AsiaWorld-Expo in Hong Kong. The awards night is scheduled on Dec. 2.

According to Soompi, the lineup features famous actors and actresses including Lee Byung Hun ("A Bittersweet Life," "Iris," "G.I. Joe: Retaliation"), Cha Seung Won ("The Greatest Love," "You're All Surrounded," "Splendid Politics"), Ha Ji Won ("Secret Garden," "Empress Ki," "The Time We Were Not In Love") and Han Hyo Joo ("W-Two Worlds," "Dong Yi," "Shining Inheritance"). Also included in the first lineup are Jang Hyuk ("Fated to Love You," "Shine or Go Crazy," and "Beautiful Mind") Han Ji Min ("Padam, Padam," "Rooftop Prince" "Hyde, Jekyll, Me"), Park Ki Woong ("Bridal Mask," "Full House Take 2," "Monster") and Park Min Young ("City Hunter," "Healer," "Remember - War of the Son").

Previously, Mnet announced on the award ceremony's official Twitter account some artists which are confirmed to attend including TWICE, GFRIEND and Seventeen. NTC Dream and I.O.I are also in the list of attendees according to Mnet. First to confirm attendance at the Mnet Asian Music Awards are boy groups EXO and BTS.

The Mnet Asian Music Awards is a major year-end awarding ceremony held annually which involves well-known actors not just in South Korea but also from other countries like Taiwan, Japan, Canada as well as the United States. It is organized by CJ E&M through its music channel, Mnet.

The event started in 1999 and is broadcasted in South Korean and Japan on Mnet. Other networks that broadcast the Mnet Asian Music Awards include the STAR World, tvN (Asia), 8TV (Malaysia), Channel V, Music On! TV (Japan), GMM 25 (Thailand), Indosiar (Indonesia), MediaCorp Channel U (Singapore), Myx, MYX News Channel (Philippines), MY TV (Cambodia), SBS (Australia), NRK (Norway) and Mnet America (United States).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

happy-new-year-2.gif 

December 31, 2016

December Film Actor Brand Reputation Rankings Revealed  

Source: Soompi by C. Hong 

After announcing brand reputation rankings for drama actors earlier this month, the Korean Business Research Institute announced the rankings for film actors.

From November 30 to December 30, the institute gathered over 72 million pieces of data to evaluate film actors in the areas of branding, media, communication, and community.

Gong Yoo, who starred in the hit film “Train to Busan” and is currently appearing in tvN drama “Goblin,” topped the list with a score of 7,705,239.

Second and third were Kang Dong Won (7,472,214) and Lee Byung Hun (6,871,074).

The full list of rankings is below:

1. Gong Yoo
2..Kang Dong Won
3. Lee Byung Hun
4. Han Hyo Joo
5. Yoo Hae Jin
6. Kim Yoon Suk
7. Jung Woo Sung
8. Kim Soo Hyun
9. Hwang Jung Min
10. Han Ji Min
11. Song Kang Ho
12. Jun Ji Hyun
13. Ha Jung Woo
14. Son Ye Jin
15. Cha Seung Won
16. Oh Dal Soo
17. Kim Hye Soo
18. Lee Beom Soo
19. Jung Jin Young
20. Lee Jung Jae
21. Yoo Ah In
22. Choi Min Sik
23. Jeon Do Yeon
24. Ryu Seung Ryong 

Source (1)

• 2 weeks later...

January 13, 2017

Nam Joo Hyuk Reveals He Has A Hard Time With Variety Shows

Source: Soompi by uing 

nam joo hyuk

Surprisingly, Nam Joo Hyuk gets butterflies in his stomach when he stars in variety shows.

He disclosed, “I’m not the type to go looking for variety shows to appear on. Honestly I was a bit afraid of them in the beginning because I felt pressured to make people laugh. It’s really hard for me.”

Ironically, he first became popular through the variety show “Off to School,” in which he showed great bromance chemistry with Kangnam. He gathered more popularity by appearing consecutively in dramas “Who Are You: School 2015,” “Glamorous Temptation,” “Cheese in the Trap,” and “Scarlet Heart: Goryeo.” Recently, he starred in tvN’s “Three Meals a Day” and gained a cute image for himself.

He showed his loyalty to “Three Meals a Day” despite his trouble with variety shows. He said, “I’m willing to appear on ‘Three Meals a Day’ anytime. The show itself is great, but what made it even better was that I had the opportunity to talk to my seniors (Cha Seung Won and Yoo Hae Jin). If it weren’t for the show, it would have been hard to have a meal with seniors like them.”

He also claimed, “Because it’s a real variety show, you can move around freely with the camera on, and the day goes by really quickly when you cook and wash dishes.”

“Many of my fans say I’m cute, and I have the image of a ‘good son.’ I think the only way to show people that I’m more versatile is through my acting. There are many genres and roles I want to try out: for example, the role of a rebellious, bad guy, and also the role of a really devoted son who cares deeply about his family,” he expressed.

Meanwhile, Nam Joo Hyuk’s drama “Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo” recently aired its last episode.

Source (1)

• 1 month later...

February 17, 2017

February Film Actor Brand Reputation Rankings Revealed

Source: Soompi by K. Do 

On February 18, the Korea Business Research Institute revealed their brand reputation rankings for film actors based on their findings from 72,745,586 pieces of data gathered from January 16 to February 17.

“Goblin” star Gong Yoo takes first place for the second month in a row with a score of 10,728,767. He enjoyed a 39.24 percent increase from his January score.

Second place goes to Jo In Sung who recently returned with the movie “The King.” As for third place, Yoo Hae Jin got the spot with a brand reputation score of 4,625,614.

The full rankings can be seen below:
1. Gong Yoo
2. Jo In Sung
3. Yoo Hae Jin
4. Kim Soo Hyun
5. Jun Ji Hyun
6. Jung Woo Sung
7. Ha Jung Woo
8. Kang Dong Won
9. Lee Byung Hun
10. Hwang Jung Min
11. Yoo Ah In
12. Han Hyo Joo
13. Sol Kyung Gu
14. Kim Hye Soo
15. Lee Jung Jae
16. Son Ye Jin
17. Song Kang Ho
18. Han Ji Min
19. Cha Seung Won
20. Lee Beom Soo
21. Jeon Do Yeon
22. Choi Min Sik
23. Ryu Seung Ryong
24. Kim Yoon Suk
25. Yoo Ji Tae

Source (1)

• 2 months later...

April 22, 2017

Cha Seung Won To Return To The Small Screen After 2 Years

Source: Soompi by A. Park

Cha-Seung-Won.jpg

Cha Seung Won himself revealed that he will be working on a drama very soon!

On April 22, Cha Seung Won had a fan meet in Tokyo, Japan. During the event, a fan asked what his next project will be, and he replied, “I will start filming in October.”

He relayed, “It will air in December or January,” and added, “It’s a really good drama. It’s a romantic comedy.” Of course, the fans were thrilled to hear the news.

He did not specify exactly what drama it will be, however, it’s exciting to hear that he has accepted a role in a drama for the first time in two years.

His last work was MBC’s historical drama, “Splendid Politics,” which aired in 2015.

Source (1)

• 4 weeks later...

May 15, 2017

YG stars take walk for kids

Cha Seung-won, Kim Sae-ron, Son Ho-jun, Sean of hip-hop duo Jinusean and other stars from YG Entertainment laced up their shoes and went for a stroll in a charity event held Sunday to help children.

Musicians and actors from YG took a 4-kilometer walk around Sangam World Cup Stadium in Seoul in the first YG X UNICEF Walking Festival held at the stadium in Seoul. 

“I’m proud to take part in such a meaningful event. I think I’m giving back some of the love we (Jinusean) got during our 20-year career,” said Sean. 

Artists from YG Entertainment pose with participants of the YG X UNICEF Walking Festival in Seoul on Sunday. (YG Entertainment)

The event was originally planned to be held last year to commemorate the company’s 20th anniversary, but was canceled due to inclement weather. 

YG officials said they were unsure as to whether the festival will become an annual event, but expressed cautious optimism due to the turnout of 5,000 participants. 

The event was jointly hosted by YG, its charity organization MUJU YG Foundation and was sponsored by Woori Card. All profits from the event were donated via the Korean Committee for UNICEF for children suffering from malnutrition. 

The walking festival was followed by a concert, boasting a lineup of iKON, Winner, Black Pink, Akdong Musician, Epik High, Lee Hi and Jinusean. 

Epik High took the stage with “Born Hater,” and the crowd’s hype jumped even higher with the surprise appearance of Sandara Park in the next song “Love Love Love.” 

The hip-hop trio capped off their gig by getting everybody on their feet with “Don’t Hate Me.” 

The fans got a chance to cool off with Lee Hi’s “Breathe,” but not for long as she turned it up a notch with “1,2,3,4.”

Next on the stage was boy band Winner, who performed without Song Min-ho who was out of the country to shoot a TV drama.

“We originally planned not to come, but we felt like we had to sing for you since it was such a good cause,” said the band’s leader Kang Seung-yoon. 

It was then time for Akdong Musician to take center stage, singing hits like “Give Love” and “200%.” 

“It’s been a while since the YG ‘family’ has gathered like this, and it’s all thanks to you,” said Lee Chan-hyuk of the brother-sister duo.

As iKON showed up, the seats turned red -- the official color of the boy band. The group started off with its debut single “My Type” and capped it off with “Rhythm Ta.”

Up next was Black Pink, who sang “Whistle,” “Playing With Fire” and “Boombayah.” The group said it was an honor to be on stage with their fellow YG stars.

The final stage of the night belonged to veteran Jinusean, who gave the fans a proper send-off with a passionate performance alongside collaborations with fellow musicians on hits like “Tell Me One More Time,” “A-Yo” and 1997 breakthrough hit “Tell Me.”

By Yoon Min-sik (minsikyoon@heraldcorp.com)

• 4 weeks later...

June 13, 2017

South Korea's Most Wanted Mid-age Male Celebrities

Source: HanCinema.net

photo857649.jpg

The showbiz industry is a rough tide. Everything's moving quickly, the trend, popularity… There are new faces surfacing each and every day. Some are one-hit wonders where they get on a quick rise and suddenly disappear from the screens, nowhere to be seen and some are loved for an extensive period of time, often achieving a nickname starting with "National". To be on that level of popularity, it is often expected that they not only have charms and skills but also a great personality topped with least scandal as possible if not, none. The audience is very sensitive and not so forgiving when it comes to scandals. When I speak of the audience, I'm generally speaking but I sense that the judgement on celebrities is even harsher in South Korea.

Like I mentioned, there are many new faces, young and handsome guys everywhere in the showbiz industry, but when it comes to choosing a model, many name brands prefers older, mid-age men to represent their brand. You know the ones who are loved by everyone and have the nickname of "National" somethings. These men are classy, gives off a trust-worthy vibe, and loved by the nation. These men have survived the rough tide of the entertainment world and continue to stand strong. Since they have established that standing, they receive numerous love calls from many brands, wanting them to be the model of their products.

The below six are the top 6 mid-age male (Ahjussi) celebrities of South Korea with the highest rate of being a brand model. Let's see who these men that I speak of are.

Cha Tae-hyun

Ma Dong-seok

Yoo Hae-jin

Cha Seung-won

photo857646.jpg

Yoo Jae-seok

Jung Woo-sung

I'm sure you are already familiar with their faces and names, for they are indeed, the most loved Ahjussi celebrities of South Korea and can be seen in many screens. We hope that their popularity will last forever and their goodness will influence many young celebrities growing in the entertainment business.

By. Lily Lee

June 14, 2017

Cha Seung Won In Talks For New tvN Fantasy Drama Written By Hong Sisters

Source: Soompi by R. Choi

Cha-Seung-Won-XPN.png

Actor Cha Seung Won is currently in talks for a tvN drama!

On June 15, his agency YG Entertainment stated that the actor was considering to appear in a new drama.

Cha Seung Won previously hinted at his plans to return to the small screen through his Tokyo fan meeting in April, where he said, “I will start filming in October.” Although he didn’t specifically state the name of the drama, he did comment, “It’s a fun drama. It’s a romantic comedy drama.”

The drama he is currently in talks for is titled “Hwayugi,” and is set to be a modern retelling of a character from an ancient novel. The fantasy romance drama is headed by the well-known Hong Sisters, and was recently confirmed to air through tvN.

Meanwhile, Cha Seung Won’s last drama was MBC’s “Splendid Politics” in 2015. This will be his first drama role in two years.

Top Photo Credit: Xportsnews

Source (1)

• 2 weeks later...

June 28, 2017

6 Dramas To Look Forward To In The Second Half Of 2017

Source: Soompi by C. Hong

lee-jong-suk-suzy-seo-hyun-jin-namgoong-min-lee-kwang-soo-jung-yoo-mi-cha-seung-won-lee-byung-hun.jpg

The first half of 2017 has gone by in a blur of office dramas, crime thrillers, sweet-and-sour rom-coms, and historical romances, and now it’s time to look forward to what the rest of the year will bring.

Many of the dramas in the latter half of 2017 will feature amazing collaborations between Hallyu stars and all-star writers and directors with impressive CVs. Pre-production continues to be the new name of the game as more and more dramas are filmed well in advance of their broadcast dates, and no matter the genre, romance continues to be key.

“While You Were Sleeping” (SBS)

Tentatively titled “While You Were Sleeping,” this is the superstar collaboration between Lee Jong Suk and Suzy, expected to premiere in September. The script was written by Park Hye Ryun, the mastermind (and frequent Lee Jong Suk collaborator) behind projects such as “I Hear Your Voice,” “Pinocchio,” and “Page Turner.” “While You Were Asleep” is about a woman who can foretell incidents in her dreams and a prosecutor who tries to keep those events from happening.

“Temperature of Love” (SBS)

A working title from writer Ha Myung Hee, who previously wrote scripts on “Doctors” and “High Society,” “Temperature of Love” is expected to broadcast laster this year and is still in the middle of casting. The drama is reportedly about youth who have gotten lost and hurt in life. Seo Hyun Jin has been said to be looking over the role of the female lead while Park Hyung Sik recently denied reports of being cast.

“Live” (unknown)

From Noh Hee Kyung, the writer of past hits such as “That Winter, The Wind Blows,” “It’s Okay, That’s Love,” and “Dear My Friends,” “Live” currently has no scheduled airdate or broadcaster, although it is currently in discussions with tvN. Actors such as Jung Yoo Mi, Lee Kwang Soo, Sung Dong Il, and Bae Sung Woo are rumored to be looking positively over their casting offers in the upcoming project, which is about a police patrol division in their pursuit of grassroots democracy.

“Falsify” (SBS)

Namgoong Min set the standard for office dramas with his comedic turn in “Chief Kim” earlier this year, but he is already moving on to a new project this summer. “Falsify,” also referred to as “Manipulation,” is scheduled to premiere on July 24 and tells the stories of reporters who unveil the truth behind the irrationalities of society. Yoo Joon Sang, Uhm Ji Won, and Jeon Hye Bin also star in this production written by Kim Hyun Jung, who has said that she was inspired to do a more realistic take on the reporter lifestyle she saw in “Pinocchio.”

“Hwayugi” (tvN)

The Hong sisters return in this fantasy drama based on the ancient Chinese story “Journey to the West,” bringing the characters of those legends to face the new demons of the modern day. So far only Cha Seung Won has been reported to star as the male lead, but the Hong sisters’ impressive list of hits (“Sassy Girl Chunhyang,” “My Girlfriend Is a Gumiho,” “Master’s Sun,” etc.) has built up high anticipations for this upcoming drama.

“Mr. Sunshine” (unknown)

Hot off her latest successes in “Descendants of the Sun” and “Goblin,” legendary writer Kim Eun Sook is returning with “Mister Sunshine.” With the confirmed casting of Lee Byung Hun in his longtime return to dramas, the drama may speed up production in time to air before the end of 2017, but the majority of episodes are expected to air in the first half of 2018. “Mister Sunshine” tells the story of a man who, having boarded a warship in 1871, reinvents himself as an American before returning to Joseon Korea.

What dramas are you looking forward to in the second half of 2017?

Source (1)

July 5, 2017

‘Drug War’ unveils star-studded cast

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

Another star-studded cast will greet audiences in the near future as top actors Cho Jin-woong, Ryu Jun-yeol, Kim Joo-hyuk and Cha Seung-won have all been cast in a film with the working title “Drug War,” according to production studio Yong Film yesterday. 

The upcoming film is a remake of a 2013 Hong Kong movie of the same title, directed by internationally acclaimed director Johnnie To. The film centers around a police detective who attempts to capture the kingpin of the nation’s biggest drug organization, named Mr. Lee, by collaborating with a lowly member of the drug cartel.

Cho, who showed acting prowess playing a policeman in the film “A Hard Day” (2014) and in the drama “Signal” (2016), will once again take on the role as a detective. Rising actor Ryu will play the pawn of the drug cartel, who will collaborate with Cho. 

Kim will play a Chinese drug tycoon, while Cha will play a mysterious aid to Mr. Lee.

Female director Lee Hae-young, who directed “The Silenced” (2015) and “Like A Virgin” (2016) will be taking the helm of this movie. Yong Film, which produced some of the more memorable films of the past few years, “The Beauty Inside” (2015), “The Handmaiden” and “Luck-key” of last year, will be the production company behind the film which is set to be released next year. 

By Kim Jung-kyoon

• 3 months later...

October 17, 2017

Cha Seung-won will star in tvN’s ‘Hwayugi’

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

16222327.jpg

Actor Cha Seung-won has been cast in the leading role of the upcoming tvN drama titled “Hwayugi,” which will premiere in December, according to the cable channel.

“Hwayugi” is modern adaptation of an ancient Chinese novel titled “Pilgrimage to the West.” The romantic-fantasy drama will feature Cha as U Ma-wang, a popular celebrity who becomes a monster that a resembles a white cow. 

The plot unfolds as Ma-wang encounters a wicked villain named Son O-gong and a Buddhist monk named Jin Seon-mi - two characters who were at odds with Ma-wang in the past. 

“For the character U Ma-wang, we thought about casting Cha from the very beginning. We think he’ll perfectly suit the character in the drama,” said the producers in a statement. 

This is Cha’s second appearance in a drama written by the famed drama-writing duo, the Hong sisters. His first Hong sisters’ drama was “The Greatest Love” (2011), in which he appeared with actress Gong Hyo-jin.

By Hong You-kyoung