Lee Byung Hun 이병헌 Byunghun Lee

rubie

[Herald Interview] Director Um Tae-hwa explores Koreans' ‘love and hate’ of apartments in ‘Concrete Utopia’

Um says his No. 1 rule in directing is to find great actors, and then trust them

Director Um Tae-hwa, who has returned with dystopian thriller “Concrete Utopia” seven years after “Vanishing Time: A Boy Who Returned,” which led to him receiving the best new director award at Korea's Grand Bell Awards that year, has delved into Koreans' “love and hate” of apartments in this new film.

“The reason I was focused on the apartment was that because I was also born and raised in that space. As I delved into what 'apartment' means for Koreans, I realized it is the subject of both love and hate, which is quite sad. Some people are happy because their apartment is an asset, but others are crying because of the rising prices of apartments, which they can’t afford,” director Um told The Korea Herald in Seoul on Tuesday.

“Those mixed feelings led me to bring a black comedy tone to this dystopian film,” he explained.

Director Um Tae-hwa’s “Concrete Utopia” is a dark, black comedy disaster thriller that tells the story of apartment building residents whose homes actually threaten their lives. Residents of Hwanggung Apartment building No. 103, the only building that has survived a destructive earthquake, initially see their building as a “utopia,” but it soon becomes a dystopia when non-residents start to flock to the building in the wake of the disaster.

Though based on the second part of the "Pleasant Bullying" webtoon by Kim Soong-nyoong about an earthquake and its aftermath, called “Pleasant Neighbors,” which begins in the basement of a school, the story was rewritten and adapted by director Um. He said he wanted to change the original to feel much bigger and larger in scale, as well as make the protagonists more active whereas the original webtoon's characters seem more passive.

“After bringing in the keyword, ‘apartment,’ I thought about which kind of characters would fit the setting best, and it was a newlywed couple who got a loan to purchase their home. After developing the characters, I was able to see how the apartment functions even more significantly in this film,” Um said.

Compared to his two previous films, “Concrete Utopia” is much larger in scale. It’s one of the big four tentpole films being released here this summer. As of Wednesday morning, it has topped ticket reservations in local box offices, surpassing “Smugglers” and “Oppenheimer,” which open next week.

“It’s not like I had to do this large-scale film, but rather, naturally, the distributor increasing the scale and the addition of great actors encouraged me to take on such a challenge," Um said.

"As my No. 1 rule in directing is to find great actors, I spend significant time searching for the right actor and communicating with them regarding the story. I’m really satisfied with my cast in the film."

Actor Lee Byung-hun, who once again does a fantastic job portraying a complex, multi-dimensional character as the story unfolds, did an excellent job expressing the black comedic atmosphere in “Concrete Utopia,” Um said.

“I have been particularly drawn to black comedy films. (For example,) I’m sure that I’m the type of cinephile who can watch director Park Chan-wook’s ‘Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance’ and laugh," Um shared.

"Lee, who also loves black comedy films, knows the point of black comedy and in which scenes he should add certain acting, like slapstick elements. This kind of acting of his creates the tone and mood in the early part of the film,” Um added.

Having worked with auteur director Park for many years as an assistant director, Um said he learned a lot from Park, who is known as a master of detail.

“The reason I was obsessed with putting details in the film was to really focus on expressing the film hyperrealistically. I wanted to shoot the film inside an actual apartment building but it was too difficult to do that, so that’s why I created a life-size three-story apartment set outside of a city. I asked the art team to gather all the doors, handrails and other materials from old apartments that were to be demolished for redevelopment. That also added to the realism,” he added.

Another thing he has continued to keep in mind from his days working with director Park has been to trust his staff and actors.

“Trusting your staff and actors has had the impact of the staff both strongly believing in the film and taking on a sense of responsibility for it. In that context, I’m really grateful for having worked with such a great team for this film,” he added.

“Concrete Utopia” opened in local theaters Wednesday.

By Kim Da-sol (ddd@heraldcorp.com)

credit : Korea Herald

https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20230809000499&np=1&mp=1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

August 9, 2023 

in the news
Park Chan-wook “I am proud of ‘Concrete Utopia’ as a Korean." Highly praised.

202308081516236710_1_20230808152302946.jpg?type=w430view original

Director Park Chan-wook praised 'Concrete Utopia' as "a work with imagination and boldness while making it according to the standard."

The movie 'Concrete Utopia' (director Uhm Tae-hwa), which will be released on August 9, is a disaster movie depicting the story of survivors gathering in the only remaining imperial palace apartment in Seoul, which was devastated by the earthquake.

202308081516236710_2_20230808152302957.jpg?type=w430view original

On August 4th, a special GV with director Uhm Tae-hwa and Park Chan-wook was successfully held. Director Uhm Tae-hwa introduced the relationship he had with director Park Chan-wook as an assistant director who visited GV as a special guest . In addition, it was revealed that the scene with humor in a serious situation in 'Concrete Utopia' was influenced by director Park Chan-wook's directing style, and showed an extraordinary priest chemistry.

Director Park Chan-wook said, “I read the script and watched the edited version, but there was no time to get bored from start to finish, even though I knew everything about it. It's fun to watch again because the movie was made with an standard attitude. Since there are no tricks at all, I can say that it is a movie made with a pure and simple attitude.” In particular he said, "I think it can be said that it has opened a new chapter in the history of Lee Byung-hun's acting. Every time I watch everything he is in, he dramatically expresses the appropriate changes, and I couldn't help but admire that how it's all the same person and that he is consistent and still surprises me even though I've been close with him for a long time." he praised Lee Byung-hun, who perfectly performed as Yeongtak.

Then, he delivered impressive impressions on the passionate performance of all the actors, and especially about Park Bo-young, who played 'Masterpiece', saying, "I think that actor Park Bo-young's clean expression and face will be a valuable moment that can only be expressed by the actor." Park Bo-young's persuasive acting was praised.

Lastly, director Uhm Tae-hwa asked for support for 'Concrete Utopia', saying, "I thought that fun should come first, and I made the film with that in mind." Director Park Chan-wook said, “It is rare in the world to have a director who has matured this much, and as I mentioned earlier, who makes films according to textbook standards, with finesse, technique, flair, and no bravado. As a Korean, I feel proud to have such a good director in a rare situation in the world where Lee Byung-hun, who has not lost the boldness to exert himself, is rare in the world. I hope you will support the movie a lot.”

Source: Here 

• Like 4

August 9, 2023

TEAM CONCRETE UTOPIA, SEOUL STAGE GREETINGS AND SPECIAL GV HIGHLIGHTS 

april-2023-08-09-20-21-36-765.jpg

LBH IG update + BH Entertainment updates+ Lotte Entertainment updates with 'MZ selca' (man the terms I need to learn these days) 

april-2023-08-10-05-31-49-719.jpg

Spoiler

Special GV (Moderator Q&A) 

Spoiler

Special GV (Audience Q&A) 

Spoiler

Also, lots of behind the scenes pics released from supporting casts from the set of CU. Lots of familiar faces from Dir. UTH's previous movie 'The Vanishing Time.' 

Actor Lee Hyo je IG with LBH and PSJ (He was the child main lead in Vanishing time) 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cvt1KkvrPm6/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Actor Si un with casts of CU

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cvt6ARdrdHj/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Actor Jung Young gi (TEAM homeless of CU) I am going to sue Dir. UTH for this! Actor UTG is also one of the homeless. :tears:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cvtze0GL8lT/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

More bts pics of LBH with the supp casts 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvtxokxtzIZ/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Opening of "Concrete Utopia" ranked first at 230,000...the leader of the new box office
:selfie2:
3-EF73-E99-7-F79-42-D9-A642-C99328-E046-

Source: here

CONCRETE UTOPIA OVERSEAS RELEASE SCHEDULE RELEASED 

Taiwan - August 10, 2023 
Malaysia, Brunei, Hong Kong, Macau - August 17, 2023
Indonesia- August 23, 2023 
Singapore - August 24, 2023 
Thailand - August 31, 2023 
Vietnam - September 1, 2023
Philippines - September 13, 2023
Japan- January 2024

Source: Here
  • Like 5

August 10, 2023

EVERYDAY, CONTINUE TO LOVE EACH OTHER MORE & MORE.

HAPPY 10TH ANNIVERSARY, MJBH!!

:smooches2:

A637-CAF0-1-F41-40-D3-93-F5-9-AA8-AC39-C

Congratulations on your 10th wedding anniversary, MJBH.

One decade down, forever to go…..

May your love and happiness continue to bloom for many more decades to come. Cheers! :wub:

• Like 4
  • Love 3

*** The cast of the new movie “Concrete Utopia” guested on the August 8th broadcast of MBC FM4U’s radio “Kim Shin Young’s Noon Song of Hope”.  When asked how they would react if they were in a real disaster situation like the movie, Lee Byung Hun said, “I think it would be safer outside in the situation where everything collapses like in the movie. I wanted to portray a character that anyone can relate to. I thought it would be better to start as an ordinary person since I wanted to depict how the character changes due to extreme situations. I discussed the character with the director a lot.”   :heart3:

park-seo-joon-22-080823-506x470.png

source : https://v.daum.net/v/20230808152330120

• Like 3

*** Lee Byunghun shares adorable stories about his wife and kid on August 9th when he appeared as a guest on the latest episode of 'You Quiz on the Block'. He shared, "I was in a hurry this morning and when my wife and son Junhoo asked me where I was going, I told them I was going out on 'You Quiz.' I've been busy lately promoting my movie that I couldn't tell them and when they knew, they started pouring me with requests. My son asked me to talk about him. He asked me to mention his best friends too." After mentioning the name of his son's friends, Lee Byunghun said, "I memorize all of their names because they visit our house often." As for his wife, it brought laughter when he revealed, "She said she would watch the broadcast in great detail. She said she will see how many seconds do I spend bragging about her so I'm going to talk a little slower then."  Talking about his son, he said, “People tell me that my son and I are like two peas in a pod. It feels good but also at the same very fascinating to hear that. My son didn’t know what an actor does until he turned 4. So, when he was three, I sat him on my lap and showed him clips from 'G.I. Joe'. That’s when he went like, 'Wow!' I kept it going for 2 years, he totally thought I was a real-life superhero." Lee Byunghun also fulfilled his wife’s request for a "praise time." He began by saying, “She is an excellent cook, a wonderful mother, and a skilled golfer. I think she's a really amazing person. She's very chill and has a great sense of humor and very often makes me laugh. When people ask why I married her, I answered that I liked her because she is very funny and brings a lot of laughter into my life."   :ohboy2:

20230810_065520_814_%20quiz.jpeg

20230810_065648_451_%20copy.jpeg

source : Gstarlive

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

MORE -- 

*** Lee Byung Hun also revealed an anecdote involving Im Si Wan on the recent broadcast of tvN’s You Quiz on the Block. He shared various stories, including his relationship with Im Si Wan and talking about Im Si Wan’s visit to his house. He shared, “I might not show it, but I’m really awkward (when someone comes to my house). Im Si Wan really is a unique character. When he asks, ‘Can I come over sometime?’ he’s really straightforward about it. I couldn’t refuse. When we actually meet, there’s an awkward energy since we don’t know each other’s lives well. One thing about Si Wan is that he stares right into your eyes. He asks questions like, ‘What do you usually eat in the morning?’ to which I replied, ‘Probably whatever you eat.'” Then he commented, “He asks questions that you’d never expect. Eating dinner together, I thought he was such a unique guy. His affability, warmth, and focus on people must be the best in the country.” He drew laughter by adding, “I bumped into him again a few months later, and he said he would come over again. He must have liked my house.”   :heart2beat:

https://youtu.be/gChHiZhaFFg

0001626069_002_20230809215601428.jpg?typ

source : https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=311&aid=0001626069

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1

*** Also, during the show 'You Quiz on the Block', Lee Byung Hun talked about the recent moment when he completely sucked the air out of the room with youngsters. This is about his recent gathering with his agency actors and staff members, which was previously revealed that he paid. Yu Jae Seok asked Lee Byung Hun, "Is it correct that going to noraebang (singing room) was one of the activities you guys did at the gathering? I heard that you sang an unexpected song then. Did you really sing 'My Way' by Frank Sinatra? That's a kind of song one would sing before they retire though!" Lee Byung Hun laughed hard, then explained what happened on that day when they went to noraebang together, "Okay, basically... I was at noraebang with them, just enjoying the vibe in my seat. They were super energetic and stuff. At that time, I couldn't stop thinking, 'Wow, so this is how youngsters nowadays have fun! This is interesting! Right then, they passed me the microphone out of nowhere. I was far from being ready, you know. So, the only song I could think of in that second was 'My Way'. And... I totally ruined the mood with it. It happened so quickly, as if I had extinguished the fire with the best fire extinguisher in the world.", then shook with laughter. He laughingly went on, "After I sang 'My Way', nobody looked at me; I think they purposely avoided making eye contact with me. They pretended like I wasn't even there. Instead of feeling bitter about it, I thought to myself, 'Okay, this probably works better for me anyway, with them not bothering me. I don't have to sing another song, so it's all good.'" Yu Jae Seok and Cho Sae-ho could not stop laughing as they listened to his story. "It turned out... Everyone used my singing time as an intermission. Some went to use the restroom, others went to grab something to eat or drink; they had gotten things done during that time. All of them returned as soon as I was done singing 'My Way'. Well... At least, I was good use there.", making the two hosts laugh uncontrollably. Yu Jae Seok and Cho Sae-ho calmed themselves down, they said to Lee Byung Hun, "You're seriously hilarious, Byung Hun! You do know that a lot of people in the industry always go on about how funny you are, right?" Lee Byung Hun commented, "To be honest though, I want to be this actor with a mysterious image, but... I'm not sure if that's possible now."  :heart2:  :Megalol:

201818625_700.webp

201818623_700.webp

source : SBS Star

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

August 11, 2023

[Herald Review] Dystopian black comedy ‘Concrete Utopia’ has questions instead of message

By Kim Da-sol

Published : Aug 3, 2023 - 18:39       Updated : Aug 3, 2023 - 18:39

Screenshot_2023-08-11_at_4.32.17_PM.png

A scene from 'Concrete Utopia' (Lotte Entertainment)

When it comes to ‘living in an apartment,’ or specifically ‘owning an apartment,’ many Koreans perceive that differently from simply having a place to live. An apartment could be someone’s life goal or another’s deep grudge. In that context, “Concrete Utopia” raises questions about the contradictions humans face when put in extreme situations -- such as when your apartment building becomes the only place in Seoul that has survived a devastating earthquake.

Director Um Tae-hwa’s “Concrete Utopia” is a dark, black comedy disaster thriller that tells the story of apartment residents whose homes threaten their lives. Residents of Hwanggung Apartment building No. 103, the only building that has survived a destructive earthquake, initially see their building as a "utopia," but that thought simply signals the beginning of a dystopia as non-residents start to flock to the building.

Screenshot_2023-08-11_at_5.40.53_PM.png

Screenshot_2023-08-11_at_5.45.02_PM.png

Calling non-residents who have sneaked into the building "cockroaches," residents of Hwanggung Apartment gather together to protect their utopian home from non-residents. At the center is Kim Young-tak (Lee Byung-hun), who would be willing even to die if there is anything he can do to protect his home and the building.

In exchange for such passion and willingness to sacrifice himself, he is elected to represent the apartment building residents, wielding enormous power among the residents. Next to him is Min-sung (Park Seo-joon), a reliable, seemingly good-hearted neighbor who supports Young-tak in many ways to keep things in order and establish a system amidst the chaos as food and water become scarce.

But Myung-hwa (Park Bo-young), the wife of Min-sung, doesn’t like how the residents of Hwanggung Apartment kick out the non-residents who will otherwise starve or freeze to death in the extremely cold weather outside. At one point, she notices that Young-tak shouldn’t be trusted.

The movie asks the audience whether you would do the same if your home were the only place to survive a colossal disaster and non-residents were to flood in. It is unclear which decision is the wisest, as that question is left unanswered even after the film's 129-minute running time. One can't tell whether the unsettled feeling after the film is simply due to the genre’s characteristics as a dystopian flick.

“Concrete Utopia” doesn’t simply show Koreans’ fantasies about owning an apartment or the loss of humanity in extreme situations. Rather, it invites discussion about humans' problematic desires and behaviors, including: greed, discrimination, the desire for power and human-made hierarchies.

Spoiler

Screenshot_2023-08-11_at_5.45.17_PM.png

Park Seo-joon and Park Bo-young show well-balanced acting, firmly supporting Lee Byung-hun, who once again fantastically portrays a complex, multi-dimensional character as the story unfolds.

Director Um’s clever opening sequence showing what apartments mean in Korean society elevates the audience’s understanding of the film’s tone and style, making the film’s topic accessible and relatable to moviegoers anywhere. The film has been invited to various international film festivals including the 48th Toronto International Film Festival, and will open in 152 countries.

“Concrete Utopia” opens in local theaters on Aug. 9.

By Kim Da-sol (ddd@heraldcorp.com)

Source:  https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20230803000637&np=1&mp=1

• Like 4

August 11, 2023 

CONCRETE UTOPIA TOPPING THE BOX OFFICE CHART FOR 3 DAYS WITH 667K ADMISSIONS --> HEADING TO 1 MILLION OVER THE WEEKEND. 

:hooray:

Screenshot-20230811-135242-Chrome.jpg

LBH at the much awaited Yoo Quiz. BH Entertainment posted the BHIND stills from the show.

More adorable pics: Here 

8I8A7166.jpg

8I8A6824.jpg

Adorable Mer-man LBH. 

:phew: Under the sea.....under the sea.....under the sea.....:phew:

There is this full video from Yoo Quiz of LBH and PBY including an interview about his journey as an actor and his stories. I doubt this particular video will be subbed but I am sure other short clips will be. After 10 years, LBH made an appearance, the ratings increased by 1.8% from the previous eps. Good job, LBH! 

During the special GV on the day of CU release, LBH made everyone burst into laughter on his last greetings which happened to coincide with his Yoo Quiz air time on TVN, saying,

"Today is the day I appear in Yoo quiz. I appreciate and thankful that you even chose to give up on that to be here. Thank you so much!" 

God, this man! :D

Spoiler

image.jpg

Since this YouTube link contains emoticon so I couldn't post it here. So I am using this tweet. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Screenshot-20230811-034825-Instagram.jpg

One of the supp casts posted this 3 story apartment set of CU on IG. Like they said, they've completely blocked the natural light to create the atmosphere. Imagine having hundreds of ppl on set in that punishing heat, on top of that it's completely closed space, and having to fight and film scenes in crowd. Seriously, I can understand why the casts keep mentioning the heat. It must have been extremely difficult to maintain their character and do their best. All that effort to bring this movie to life, they really deserves all the accolades and praises they are getting from the viewers. Concrete Utopia team is the best! :star:

Insightful interview of Dir. Uhm Tae Hwa for Cine 21.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

August 11, 2023

“My father, he appeared in a pic in a Hollywood movie.” 

Just realized after I made this collage how much LBH looks like his father. To the point that their hair are also styled similarly, and that little loose strand of hair and their soft gaze on the side. :tears:

AE24-E654-F5-CC-4-E7-C-A7-D4-5-BEF34243-

During Yoo Quiz interview, LBH was asked the same question they asked to LMJ. ( It starts around 35:00 in the video I shared above in previous post.)

Q: If you want to upload one of the most memorable moment of your life in SNS. What would it be? 

LBH: You know these days, you can easily see your pics and videos from childhood. I also got to see mine, but mine are only pictures, and there we’re b/w ones too. So, I wish I could see such pics and videos of my childhood too. I keep thinking being children in this day and age must feel so good. 

Cuts to Solo Interview corner: 

LBH: My son always asks me to show pictures and videos of him when he was a child. Since there are so many, he would look at them and say, ”Oh! I used to look like this!” I honesty feel so envious of that moment. Why did we not have things like that? If we had, we could see those moments when we were young. But, more than that, what really makes me sad is that, I have never seen videos of my father, and I really really miss that and want to see him. Moments like that are just…….

Then LBH went on saying how his father was the reason he first started watching movies. How during weekends movie times, he would sit beside him and tell him all the names of actors like he knew them all. He was such a movie buff and how his father loved Hollywood movies a lot. He then shared his most unforgettable moment from Red 2, which I think most of us already know. He said when he saw the scene where his father’s pic came out on screen, he thought, “My Father, he appeared in a pic in a Hollywood movie.”, and that was the most touching and emotional moment of his life. 

“My Father is no longer with us, but I believe he is probably watching everything I wanted to show him at this moment from somewhere else.” :tears:

LBH can make me laugh all he wants, but the moment he mentions his father, its over for me. I just cannot hold back my tears and be an emotional mess. And in this video too, his face during that little moment of silence after he talked about him… I’m bawling. Always reminds me of that scene in Inside Men, when ASG tells WJH to treat his father well when he is still alive. It really wasn’t just a simple dialogue for him. He must have missed his father so much.

We all know how much LMJ loves Joon Hoo, and she has always been so open about everything, and finally we also got the glimpse of how LBH is as a father from the man himself even though we’ve seen pics of moments of him with his son, watching movies and vacationing and all. The fact that he knows all the names of his son’s friends, how he conveyed that message as soon as he came to the show, before even introducing himself….most probably because Jun Hoo must have told all his friends already and those kids were waiting in front of the tv close to their bedtime is just beyond all the sweetness of the world. And now these parenting masters have another bundle of joy on the way. Cant wait for the day when baby Joon hoo is going to have a baby sibling. :heart: 

They are not in order but here are the clips of LBH from Yoo quiz. Hope they’ll sub it soon. 

https://youtu.be/zTDsrG-DtqM

https://youtu.be/rpskmMxOZoQ

https://youtu.be/o-75fTIyM3U

https://youtu.be/4jKy4i00Nw0

https://youtu.be/hCpM8m8fnYk

https://youtu.be/PmgeqTO5gEM

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

August 12, 2023

Pedro Almodóvar, Andy Lau, Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-jun to Keynote Toronto Film Festival

The news comes as the Hollywood strikes leave uncertain which American celebrities will walk the red carpet next month.

Pedro Almodovar, Andy Lau, Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-jun

Pedro Almodovar, Andy Lau, Lee Byung-hun and Park Seo-jun

The Toronto Film Festival has tapped Spanish auteur Pedro Almodóvar, Hong Kong multi-hyphenate Andy Lau and Korean superstars Lee Byung-hun and Park Seo-jun to topline its In Conversation With series next month.

Lee Byung-hun and Park Seo-jun, co-stars of the disaster epic Concrete Utopia, will also be in Toronto to discuss their careers in Korean film and TV. Park Seo-jun is set to appear in The Marvels later this year.

“TIFF’s 2023 In Conversation With… series exemplifies our belief that film can ignite perspectives and fuel transformation. We are delighted to welcome a powerhouse lineup of international iconoclasts from Spain, South Korea and Hong Kong for film lovers of all genres,” Anita Lee, TIFF chief programming officer, said Friday in a statement.

Besides casting a net worldwide to illustrate an expanding entertainment landscape as part of its In Conversation With… series, the choices of the international film icons for TIFF allow the festival to get round the uncertainty cast by the ongoing Hollywood actors strike on which American film stars can walk its red carpet in Toronto next month.

SAG-AFTRA restrictions require actors not to promote any film that’s from a member of the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, meaning any streamer, major legacy studio or a specialty division such as Sony Pictures Classics, Searchlight or Focus Features (which are owned by Sony, Disney and Universal, respectively).

The Toronto Film Festival, set to run Sept. 7 to 17, earlier announced it would open its 2023 edition with Japanese anime legend Hayako Miyazaki’s much anticipated final film, The Boy and the Heron. 

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

From TIFF: Here 

Spoiler

Lee Byung-hun and Park Seo-jun
As we showcase a remarkable selection of Korean films at this year’s Festival, we are proud to present an exclusive conversation with Korean superstars Lee Byung-hun and Park Seo-jun, who star in the disaster epic Concrete Utopia. Both Lee and Park began their careers in Korean television, with Lee appearing in such popular K-drama series as Tomorrow Love (1992–1994) and Beautiful My Lady (1997) before starring in Park Chan-wook’s international art house hit Joint Security Area (2000) and Kim Jee-woon’s back-to-back megahits A Bittersweet Life (2005) and The Good, the Bad, the Weird (2008). An agile performer who is equally at home in dramatic, comedic, and action roles, Lee has firmly established himself as a global sensation, who effortlessly alternates between Hollywood films such as G.I. Joe: Retaliation (2013) and The Magnificent Seven (2016), Korean blockbusters like I Saw the Devil (2010) and Inside Men (2015), and hit television series including Mr. Sunshine (2018) and Squid Game (2021). Displaying a similarly impressive dramatic and comedic range as a performer, Park Seo-jun starred in several wildly popular K-dramas and sitcoms, including Fight for My Way (2017) and What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim (2018), and ran away with one of the lead roles in the action-comedy hit Midnight Runners (2017). Park has continued to balance his work between television and film, exemplified by his lead role in the Netflix breakout hit Itaewon Class (2020) and his memorable supporting role as Min-hyuk, who triggers the plot in Bong Joon-Ho’s Academy Award–winning class satire Parasite (2019). Before audiences around the world will see him in the highly anticipated The Marvels later this year, Park joins Lee to discuss their respective careers and their collaboration on Concrete Utopia

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

August 12, 2023 

CONGRATULATIONS, CONCRETE UTOPIA!!!!

FOR REACHING 1 MILLION ADMISSIONS IN JUST 4 DAYS OF RELEASE!!! 

EURA CHA CHA, HWANG GUNG, EURA CHA CHA HWANG GUNG, FIGHTING!!!!! 

:hooray2:

Screenshot-20230812-050951-Instagram.jpg

april-2023-08-12-05-15-09-598.jpg

Our dearest Con Uzz re-enacting the scene from the movie where residents are admirably calling Young tak saying, "Daepyo nim, Kim Young tak, Dae pyonim!!!" They are so unserious… :w00t:

Cutest resident representative in the world! :D 

God why are they all so funny and cute. I am so happy for them!! Kim Sun Young's laugh makes it even more funny. I love them so much, uri Con Uzz.... :wub:

:heart3:

img.gif

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cv1puddL-PZ/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I'll tattoo this video in my brain forever. Also, LBH holding those pink balloons.... Please God, read my mind. :)

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

August 12, 2023 

CONCRETE UTOPIA WEEKEND STAGE GREETINGS HIGHLIGHTS ~ 

20230812-073147.jpg

Shy ball of sunshine in Alexander McQueen cardigan with Pengsu... :D

april-2023-08-12-07-14-47-103.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cv1vqykrO0Y/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cv12K-ixKKo/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Spoiler

https://youtu.be/BxDx9rc5Yzk

• Like 5

August 12, 2023

"Concrete Utopia"   

Screenshot_2023-08-12_at_10.32.29_PM.png

Poster at the Cinema 

Screenshot_2023-08-12_at_10.32.48_PM.png

Although the movie “Concrete Utopia” officially opens in Hong Kong on August 17, I was able to buy a ticket for the show today.

The movie is very well made.  The cinematography was spectacular and the disaster scenes were well excecuted and realistic!

Lee Byung Hun was awesome.  His acting is beyond brillance.  Once again, he showed us a complex character that can exude humour despite the movie's  very dark and sad theme.  His leadership in protecting the residents was firm yet subtle.

All the other main actors and actresses also acted very well.

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

[Box office] Movies in theaters this week

“Concrete Utopia”

(South Korea)

Opened Aug. 9

Thriller/Disaster

Directed by Um Tae-hwa

Residents of Hwanggung Apartment building No. 103, the only building that has survived a destructive earthquake, initially see their building as a “utopia,” but it soon devolves into a nightmare.

(skipped unrelated.....)

credit : https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20230810000762&np=1&mp=1

• Like 3

2 hours ago, peonie said:

August 12, 2023  

Although the movie “Concrete Utopia” officially opens in Hong Kong on August 17, I was able to buy a ticket for the show today.

The movie is very well made.  The cinematography was spectacular and the disaster scenes were well excecuted and realistic!

Lee Byung Hun was awesome.  His acting is beyond brillance.  Once again, he showed us a complex character that can exude humour despite the movie's  very dark and sad theme.  His leadership in protecting the residents was firm yet subtle.

Wow Barbara, Congratulations! I am so happy for you!!!

LBH indeed did it again. I also cannot wait to witness that, which most likely will happen next month after the Toronto premiere. How did everyone like it? I really hope they do. LBH deserves this and the whole team of CU deserves this. You will be amazed once you learn some behind the scene stories. LBH is beyond genius on what he did for Young tak. Same goes for Dir. UTH. I have been spoiled pretty much everything at this point because at first, I accidently heard Dir. PCW spoiling in the special gv, and later, as weak of a human I am, curiosity got the best of me. When I connected those details, I was blown away by the detailing LBH thought for Young tak. The only drawback I've read constantly was movie being too dark for summer tent pole fascinates me even more. For me, darker the better, leaving food for thought. And I can't wait to experience that soon. 

Weekend numbers are firing up, as they should. Maybe we can get 2M by Monday! Concrete Utopia, Let's go!!! 

Screenshot-20230812-124242-Chrome.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, peonie said:

August 12, 2023

"Concrete Utopia"  

@peonie  thanks for sharing this. “Concrete Utopia” will also be shown in Philippine cinemas next month beginning September 20.   :kaching1:

• Like 1

August 13, 2023

Actor Lee Byung-hun captivated by morally complex characters in 'Concrete Utopia'

Screenshot_2022-08-01_at_7.12.04_PM.png

Actor Lee Byung-hun of Korea disaster thriller "Concrete Utopia" / Courtesy of BH Entertainment 

Actor Lee Byung-hun of the upcoming Korean disaster thriller "Concrete Utopia" said Tuesday he was intrigued by its compelling story portraying the coexistence of good and evil in ordinary people.

Directed by Um Tae-hwa, the movie revolves around an apartment complex that miraculously becomes the only surviving building after a massive earthquake that devastates Seoul.

As survivors from outside flock to the apartment, seeking refuge from hunger and the freezing weather, the residents unite around their new leader, Yeong-tak (played by Lee), to drive them out and try to find their own ways to survive.

"It's a story about ordinary people who neither embody absolute evil nor absolute goodness but have both sides in them within the boundary of common sense," Lee said during a group media interview at a Seoul cafe. "Since it's an extreme situation, conflicts between people are inevitable. I chose to be a part of this film because I enjoy portraying such conflicts."

Lee said he was actively involved in building his character.

"I constantly conversed with the director from the beginning to the end to make the character look more realistic and multi-dimensional, and to identify points that would make the situations he faces intriguing," he said.

Initially portrayed as a timid person who couldn't assert himself in front of others, Yeong-tak gradually transforms from a distant figure to a cruel leader who does everything to protect his apartment and neighbors from external intruders.

His newfound desire for power is further fueled after realizing in the conflict with outsiders that he is now even more powerful as the leader of the insiders than a lawmaker coming from outside.

"He undergoes some changes in his state of mind when Geum-ae says the world has been reset due to the disaster, even in the midst of a desperate and gloomy situation where he has lost everything and can't even feel the reason for his own existence," Lee said of his character, referring to the name of the chief of the women's society of the apartment community.

"After being appointed as leader, Yeong-tak initially makes up his mind to do something for the community with responsibility. But he gradually becomes intoxicated by the taste of wielding power, without knowing this himself," the actor explained.

Lee said his favorite sequence is the one where he sings Yoon Soo-il's 1998 hit song "Apartment" during a feast.

"I like the part where Yeong-tak's life stories from the past are shown to the audience while he sings."

Although he is a veteran actor with more than 30 years of experience, he said he still feels nervous ahead of the releases of his films.

"I remember receiving the same question 15 years ago," he said when asked if he feels any pressure about presenting good acting in a new film.

"Back then, I naturally felt burdened. I vaguely wondered when that pressure would disappear when I received such questions. Even though I worked with some confidence, I always become nervous before my films are shown to the audience."

The film opens in local theaters on Aug. 9. (Yonhap)

Source:  https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2023/08/398_356157.html

• Like 4