Kim Yun Jin 김윤진

Guest huangsy

August 14, 2014
Kim Yoon Jin, returns from America and starts to work. First schedule is volunteer  Source: Innolife Korea10670_1.jpg

In 14th, according to Zion Entertainment, Kim Yoon-Jin finished the shoot ‘Mistresses 2’ and returned to Korea in 10th. For last 8 months, Kim Yoon-Jin stopped other work except the American drama. As returned, she restarted the work she put off. According to the agency, her first work in Korea is the Red Cross volunteer. From 14th 11am, she starts her Korea work as volunteering; baking bread at the Red Cross Sharing Hope Volunteer Center located in Jongno Jung-gu. As the honorary ambassador for the Red Cross, she baked herself the bread and cookies which will be delivered to lonely family, with 20 ordinary people. 
Kim Yoon-Jin who said it is long time to directly volunteer sent the message that encourage involvement to others “Hope starts from small thing. Volunteer needs brave that put it into practice.” The 2nd schedule is CM talent donation to campaign radio for searching missing child. This campaign conducted by Green Umbrella Child Fund missing child institute and Ministry of Health and Welfare. It is used to find and prevent missing child. 
Kim Yoo-Jin participated at this campaign in 2013. Meanwhile, Kim Yoo-Jin will promote the film ‘International Market’ (JK Film production, Yoon Jae-Gyoon director) released on December. [image=Zion Entertainment]

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

August 16, 2014
'Lost' star aims to give back
Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily
65756715.2.jpg
Korean actress Kim Yun-jin, who gained recognition in Hollywood through the TV series “Lost,” has returned to Korea after filming the latest series of the U.S. drama “Mistresses.” During her trip, Kim wants to give a helping hand to children in need. She will record a radio campaign organized by Child Fund Korea and the Ministry of Health and Welfare to raise awareness of missing children.
Kim refused payment for the job as a way to give back to the community. 
Her work will be broadcast sometime in September. 
It is reported that the organization asked Kim to join the campaign after her previous recording was effective in introducing the issue of missing children in Korea.
The actress also participated in volunteer work with the Korean Red Cross on Thursday. She baked loaves of bread and delivered them to children in need. 

• 2 months later...

October 27, 2014
CJ Entertainment Introduces Strong Line-up for 2015
Big Stars to Shine in Diverse Stories 
by June KIM KOBIZ

MtPDyQmwhyVkwvoosTPZ.jpg
Korea's entertainment giant, CJ Entertainment, introduced its line-up for 2015 during the Busan International Film Festival (BIFF) on the 4th of October in the Grand Hotel's Hive Club. CJ had a long slate of films that filled the screens this year from socially aware and critically acclaimed Cannes title A Girl at My Door, comedic drama Miss Granny, Thread of Lies, a family drama that marked the return of Kim Hee-ae to the silver screen, to the record-breaking history epic Roaring Currents. It’s highly anticipated 2015 line-up includes titles such as YOUN Je-kyun's Ode to My Father, KIM Hyun-seok's C'est si bon, RYOO Seung-wan's Veteran, PARK Jin-pyo's Today's Love, KIM Kwang-tae's Guest (*w/t), KANG Je-kyu's Jangsu Mart (w/t), LEE Yoon-jung's Don't Forget Me (**d/t), AHN Sang-hoon's Era of Purity (d/t), YOON Jae-gu's Secret Temptation, Baek Woon-hak's Chronicles of Evil (d/t), LEE Seok-hoon's Himalayas, JO Sung-hee's Famous Detective HONG Gil-dong (d/t), KWAK Jae-yong's Time Renegade (d/t), LEE Kyung-mi's House Full of Happiness (w/t), HEO Jong-ho's Mad Attorney (w/t), KIM Tae-yong's Set Me Free, LEE Chang-jae's The Hospice and LEE Jong-pil's Dorihwaga (w/t). 
Haeundae (2009) director YOUN Je-kyun is coming back with another blockbuster, Ode to My Father, which stars HWANG Jung-min. With the current trend of popular historical flicks, Ode to My Father may be able to find a similar response from audiences. The film goes through major events in modern history such as the Korean War and the Vietnam War through the life of Deok-su (HWANG) as he ages. Large parts of the film were shot in Busan.
Musical drama C-est si bon will also have a huge cast, with KIM Yun-seok, KIM Hee-ae, JUNG Woo, and HAN Hyo-joo, while KANG Je-kyu’s Jangsu Mart will bring YOUN Yuh-jung, CHO Jin-woong and HAN Ji-min together in a heart-warming neighborhood drama. Time Renegade will have All About My Wife star LIM Soo-jung and My Love, My Bride’s husband, JO Jung-suk, in a time-twisting thriller. Mad Attorney is set to star A Hard Day’s LEE Sun-kyun with Eungyo actress KIM Go-eun. LEE will play an ace attorney while KIM will be a prosecutor as they work together to solve a murder case without evidence. Today’s Love will be the first film for singer and actor LEE Seung-ki. LEE is famous for his music but has also become familiar through his participation in TV shows and drama series. This romantic film will partner LEE with MOON Chae-won. Although without any major stars, Set Me Free was recently introduced to the public through its screening at BIFF, and stars CHOI Woo-sik. This is KIM Tae-yong’s first feature and it deals with a rather dark personal story from the director’s life. Dorihwaga will be led by RYU Seung-ryong, who has become known through Miracle in Cell No.7, which broke box office records last year. RYU will act as a historical figure who teaches the Korean traditional musical style of ‘pansori’ to Korea’s first female singer. The student will be played by Miss A’s BAE Suzy who stepped into the world of acting through Architecture 101 (2012).

(*w/t) stands for working title (**d/t) stands for direct translation

November 10. 2014
PYH2014111005300031500_P2.jpg

Actor Hwang Jung-min (L) poses at an event in Seoul on Nov. 10, 2014, to promote the new film "International Market," the story of a married couple living through the turbulent and poor days up to now after the 1950-53 Korean War. At right is actress Kim Yun-jin. (Yonhap) (END)

• 2 weeks later...

November 25, 2014
Kim Yun-jin in 'International Market'
PYH2014112500890031500_P2.jpg
Actress Kim Yun-jin poses at an event in Seoul on Nov. 24, 2014, to promote the new film "International Market," the story of a married couple living through the turbulent poor days of the modern era after the 1950-53 Korean War (Yonhap) (END)

November 25, 2014
A poster of movie 'International Market' revealed
Source: STARN News 20141125071317_5473ad61b65ba_1.jpg
A poster for 'International Market' was released.

Movie 'International Market' will be officially released on December 17th, and a poster shows the whole family of Duk Soo (played by Hwang Jung Min) was released.
The poster shows Duk Soo's family members posing for a photo in front of a small shop under a snowfall.
'International Market' will show a story of Duk Soo and his wife, Young Ja (played by Kim Yoon Jin)'s family, and the poster shows the two showing a bright smile together, holding two kids.
In addition, the mother (played by Jang Young Nam), the aunt (played by La Mi Ran), the youngest sister (played by Kim Seul Gi), and Dal Gu (played by Oh Dal Soo) are also posing together, standing around Duk Soo and Young Ja.
The poster also includes Duk Soo's father (played by Jung Jin Young), and many people are showing huge anticipation for the touching story that 'International Market' will present to many movie fans this winter.
Meanwhile, 'International Market' will be officially released on November 17th.
/Reporting by Lee Mi-Ji en@starnnews.com

• 4 weeks later...

December 20, 2014
'Ode to My Father' to be officially released in North America
Source: STARN News 2014121901410_0.jpg
Movie 'Ode to My Father' will be officially released in North America.

Movie 'Ode to My Father,' which was officially released in Korea on December 17th, will be officially released in North America on January 9th, 2015.
'Ode to My Father' will be officially released in Los Angeles, California on December 25th first, and it will be released in New York, Chicago, Washington D.C., Boston, Seattle, Vancouver and Toronto on January 9th.
'Ode to My Father' will be presented at 40 different movie theaters in the cities listed above. 'Roaring Currents' was only presented in only 30 different theaters, and earned $2,580,000 in North America. 'Ode to My Father' did not make an official in Korea yet, but a great number of movie fans are showing huge anticipation already.
A representative of CJ Entertainment America said, "We expect that 'Ode to My Father' will receive hot reactions from many Korean people in the region and also many local movie fans as well, because the movie is about immigrants."
'Ode to My Father' was officially invited to Berlin International Film Festival, which is one of the largest film festivals in the world, and it is getting a lot of hot reactions from all over the world. The movie reached 180 thousand viewers on its first day, and many officials are now focusing their attention to how it will do in America.
Meanwhile, Hwang Jung Min, Kim Yoon Jin, Oh Dal Soo, Jung Jin Young, and La Mi Ran played in 'Ode to My Father' as title roles.
/Reporting by Lee Mi-Ji en@starnnews.com

Source: The Inside Korea
January 3, 2014
Her Next Great Leap, Yunjin Kim
Yunjin Kim, the game-changing actress, will be back as Karen in “Mistresses” on ABC TV ShowThe Sun is rising again. Ms. Yunjin Kim, 40, will be back in your living room this summer as Karen in “Mistresses” for a second season on ABC. After her groundbreaking role as Sun in “Lost”, also on ABC, which fascinated viewers around the world for 6 seasons (2004 – 2010), Ms. Kim plays psychiatrist Karen Kim in “Mistresses,’ who is romantically involved with one of her patients. Her character dangerously crosses personal and professional lines.
Now Yunjin Kim is also playing an active role as an executive producer for the US remake of “Nine: Nine Time Travels,” a Korean TV drama. We have seen normal Korean couple speaking Korean with English subtitles on small-screen in “Lost”. Will “Nine” be her next Great Leap?
Yunjin Kim was 10 when her family relocated from Seoul to Staten Island, New York. After graduating from the New York High School of Performing Arts (the “Fame” school), she studied acting at the British American Drama Academy in London and Boston University. Her debut role on TV was “Splendid Holiday”, a Korean language drama shot in New York in 1997. Since then she settled in Korea, appearing in films and TV dramas.
In the Hollywood style action thriller “Shiri” in 1999, directed by Kang Je-gyu, Ms. Kim played a North Korean spy who falls in love with her enemy. The movie broke box office records, beating “Titanic” in Korea. Ms. Kim won the Grand Bell Award (*Korean Academy Award) for New Actress for the role and numerous other awards. She received Golden Bell Best Actress Award for her role in “Seven Days” in 2008.
In March 2010, Ms. Kim tied the knot with Jeong Hyeok Park, her manager and film producer, after the final shooting of “Lost” in Hawaii. She wrote a memoir “The World is Your Drama” in 2007.
Q: Let’s talk about “Lost,” which lasted 6 seasons. Sun-Hwa Paik was your breakthrough role. But you auditioned for Kate, played by Evangeline Lilly. How did you get the role?A: Wow! You still want to talk about “Lost”?!!! In order to answer your question, I need to take you back in time to the year of 2004…ten years ago! I read for the role of Kate, but the producers didn’t feel I was right for the part, so instead of just calling up my agents to say the usual, “We really liked Yunjin but she’s just not right for the role,” they did something quite magical. The producers wanted to create a new role for me to play on the show. That’s how the character “Sun” was born, and a week after, they decided to add another character, Jin, to be Sun’s husband. It was one of the best compliments to receive for an actor, especially coming from J.J. Abrams and Damon Lindelof.
Q: What was involved in making Sun so authentic? Did you develop any aspect of the character with the writers?A: I’d like to take some credit in developing an amazing character like “Sun,” but I can’t. It was all the terrific writers of “Lost” at the Disney Studio. I did pitch in, however, in tiny details of the show to make things “authentic” when we were shooting all the Korean scenes. I helped with the Korean lines, to make them more conversational, and setting up the table, Korean style, and helped with the signs, making sure all the characters were written correctly, etc.
Q: With Daniel Dae Kim, watching two Korean-American actors speaking Korean with English subtitles on national TV was pretty exciting! Has “Lost” changed Asian-American stereotypes on TV?A: Thank you. It was really gutsy for the producers to have actors speak another language and put English subtitles on an American TV show. I can’t imagine seeing this on TV anytime soon. I’m not sure if speaking Korean on an American TV show can change or even affect Asian-American stereotypes, but I can tell you “Lost” was the first American TV show to cast two Asian American actors as series regulars on the show. It was only ten years ago, but it was a big deal back then.
Q: And your Korean was perfect. How were you able to become bilingual? And how does it affect your career?A: Well, Korean is my first language and when my family immigrated when I was ten, my parents wanted to make sure their three girls didn’t forget their Korean language and culture. I tried to keep it up and always spoke at home but my Korean language skills stayed at 10. Back in 1997, I was cast in a Korean mini-series out of NY and that led me to work in Korea. I had to actually relearn the language when I started working in Korea. Having said that, if I wasn’t already fluent in Korean, it would’ve been impossible to build a career as an actress in Korea.
Q: How did “Lost” change your life?A: Greatly! I was working and living in Korea before “Lost.” “Lost” was my first TV show in America and this show opened new doors and different opportunities!
Q: You are now basically settled in Seoul and work in LA as well. Are you lost in jet lag?A: My life isn’t as glamorous or as busy as it may sound. I split my time between LA and Seoul. I shot “Mistresses” last year for six months in LA, and came to Seoul to shoot a Korean film called “International Market” for about 3 months. I’ve been unemployed for about 3 months. Hahahaha!
Q: ABC’s “Mistresses”, based on U.K. drama series, will return this summer. When you did auditions, were the producers looking for a Korean-American actress or did they change the character for you?A: Yes, I’m thrilled that “Mistresses” will back for season two!! The producers weren’t looking for any specific ethnic type for the role. They were opened to seeing all kinds of actresses for the role. I just happened to be cast in the role, so they changed the last name from Katie Rhodes to Karen Kim. That’s usually the case in casting nowadays, unless the role calls for a specific ethnic type, the producers and directors are completely open to seeing all types and sizes.
Q: Compared with your role as Sun in “Lost,” set on a deserted island, how do you like the urban setting and female bonding with the other lead actresses in “Mistresses”?A: I don’t think I can compare “Sun” to “Karen”. It’s like apples and oranges. With “Mistresses,” I will say it’s a joy to be part of a show with strong female characters. Sure, it’s a sexy, soapy, and provocative show with a lot of sex, but the core of the story is the friendship and “sisterhood” of these friends. We have so much fun on set, and getting into some of the sexy outfits doesn’t hurt either.
Q: You are one of the executive producers of the US version of a Korean cable channel drama, “Nine: Nine Time Travels,” which is in development with ABC. How did you become interested in this project?A: I’ve always been interested in producing. Seeing amazing U.S. remake dramas like “The Killing”, “Homeland” and “Mistresses” gave me an idea to bring Korean dramas to the US. I was actively seeking some Korean dramas to remake in the US, and “Nine: Nine Time Travels” happened first. It’s not definite that ABC will make this drama. We’re still at the early, developing stage of writing the pilot and I won’t know if this is going to be picked up for a while. I’m hoping it will. If it does, it’ll be the first Korean drama to be made into a US remake.
Q: Your debut film “Shiri (1999),” was a blockbuster. While appearing on American TV, you have made quite a few films in Korea as well. How do you select films?A: I’m inclined to be in films with good storytelling and interesting characters. The story is the key for me. It’s not about what the story is saying but how it’s saying it that’s important to me.
Q: When you were growing up in Staten Island, it probably was not very racially diverse. How did that affect you?A: I did go through an identity crisis because I immigrated when I was 10 years old. I was taken out of my safety net, away from my friends and familiar environment, and had to start all over again. It wasn’t about Staten Island at all. I had a great time growing up in Staten Island, I miss it sometimes!
Q: When did you decide to become an actor? And did your parents support your decision?A: Going through my identity crisis drew me to the stage. Not being fluent in English, there were days when I wouldn’t even utter a sound in school. I had nightmares about losing my voice! I joined a drama class in 7th grade and started to find myself again. Oddly enough, I felt freer on stage, and I didn’t care what I sounded like on stage. I fell in love with acting and, of course, my parents thought I was crazy.
Q: Who was your role model?A: Meryl Streep. She still is!
Q: What is your New Year’s resolution?A: To be grateful. Not just say “I’m grateful,” but really mean it!!!
By Sukie Park, January 3, 2014 | Photo by Kim Han Jun | The Inside Korea[ The Inside Korea / 인사이드코리아 ]

December 22, 2014
History Weepie Draws 1.1 Million Viewers
Source: The Chosun Ilbo
2014122201689_0.jpg

The melodrama "Ode to My Father" has drawn 1.1 million viewers in just four days, taking the No. 1 spot at the box office. 
Some 44,000 people went to see the film on Saturday alone.
Distributor CJ Entertainment said the performance matches "Miracle in Cell No. 7," which drew 12.81 million moviegoers last year and soars ahead of "Miss Granny," which attracted 8.65 million earlier this year.
"Ode to My Father" is a melodrama about a man's sacrifices for his family, braving the coal mines of Germany and fighting in the Vietnam War.
It is the latest movie directed by Yoon Je-kyoon, whose "Haeundae" in 2009 was also a box-office smash hit.

December 23, 2014
Family film hits 'My Love' from top
BY JIN EUN-SOO [jes@joongang.co.kr] INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily
1535525_847818091947265_2399109125422548
Domestic movie “Ode to My Father,” a heart-wrenching story set during the 1950-53 Korean War, opened with an audience of 1.1 million over the weekend, snatching first place at the local box office.

Within five days of its release, the CJ Entertainment film with an 18 billion won budget (about $16 million) had garnered 1.5 million moviegoers, earning 9 billion won. 
This time around, director Youn Je-kyun, who won nationwide acclaim with his disaster film “Haeundae” in 2009, joined forces with guaranteed ticket-sellers Hwang Jung-min and Kim Yoon-jin. 
Youn took a more ambitious bid with “Ode,” depicting the survival of Korea’s refugees in extreme poverty during the Korean War. 
In the movie, Hwang plays the naive and good-natured boy Deok-soo, who becomes the head of his family at a young age when his father dies in the war. 
In second place was Peter Jackson’s ambitious finale to his Hobbit trilogy, “The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies.” The film debuted with an audience of 1.3 million, making 8.4 billion won domestically. 
“My Love, Don’t Cross That River,” which achieved a milestone in the local indie film industry after its unexpected surge, was spotted in third place, dropping down two notches from last week’s first. Showing on 704 screens nationwide, the film picked up 766,413 cinemagoers this weekend, which brought its four-week total audience to 2.4 million. 
The production cost of the documentary directed by Jin Mo-young was 120 million won, but it has made 18.7 billion won so far. The film is about an elderly couple who has been living together in the countryside for 76 years. Critics say it has pulled at the heartstrings of many viewers in their 20s because of its message about the true essence of love.
Christopher Nolan’s “Interstellar” managed to stay in fourth place, selling 9.9 million tickets.
Younger viewers flocked to theaters this weekend, as shown by the audience figures for the popular animation feature “Pororo, The Snow Fairy Village Adventure,” which was in fifth place with 53,846 viewers. 

December 26, 2014
Domestic Films Attract More Than 100 Million Viewers for Third Straight Year
Source: The Chosun Ilbo
Korean films sold more than 100 million tickets at cinemas for the third straight year.
After a relatively slow start this year, the tide started to turn with the opening of the period action film "Roaring Currents," which sold more than 17 million tickets over the summer, a record for a Korean film.
Another action comedy "The Pirates" was also an overwhelming success, selling more than eight million tickets.
The popularity of Korean films is continuing into December as well, with the heart-wrenching melodrama "Ode to My Father," and the documentary film "My Love, Don't Cross That River."

December 29, 2014
'Ode to My Father' crew to help homeless
Source: The Korea Times PYH2014122502520001300_P2-450(0).jpg
Poster of "Ode to My Father" / Yonhap
The crew of the hit film "Ode to My Father" will take to the streets this week to offer free meals to those in need. 
Director Yoon Jae-gyun and the rest of the film crew will head to Cheongnyangni, in the Dongdaemun district, on Wednesday and offer 1,000 free meals, multiple reports said. It was not immediately known whether any of the film's stars would participate. 
K2014122900326-450.jpg
People lined up to receive free meals in Cheongnyangni, northern Seoul. / Korea Times file
The crew will prepare the food, serve it, and wash dishes. The film will be screened at a nearby theater free of charge. 
The film, which currently sits atop the Korean box office, depicts Korean history from the 1950s to the present day through the life of an ordinary family man. 

December 30, 2014
Nostalgic viewers are drawn to ‘Ode’Struggles of a man after Korean War strike chord with people in their 40s
BY LIM JU-RI, JIN EUN-SOO [jes@joongang.co.kr] INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily
In a week where Korean films have sold well at the local box office, the success of “Ode to My Father” certainly stands out.
Three domestic movies dominated the top three box-office slots this weekend, including documentary “My Love, Don’t Cross That River,” which pulled at the heartstrings of audiences by showing the endearing love of an elderly couple. 
But the baton has been handed over to a story about the patriarchal figures in our nation.
“Ode to My Father,” which opened in local theaters on Dec. 17, has firmly grabbed the No. 1 spot for two consecutive weeks, pulling in 4.2 million viewers and making 11.3 billion won ($10.3 million) as of Monday.
A day after opening, the film had already outperformed the much-anticipated Hollywood blockbuster “The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies.” 
The finale of Peter Jackson’s Hobbit trilogy landed in fourth place over the weekend. 
Considering the speed at which “Ode” is sucking in the audience, industry insiders are saying that it may go shoulder to shoulder with “The Masquerade” (2012), which scored an audience of 10 million. 
With the movie’s success, a new light is being shed on Korea’s modern history, which the movie is set in. Deok-soo, played by Hwang Jung-min, is central to the plot, which addresses pivotal historical events such as the Hungnam evacuation during the 1950-53 Korean War, the dispatch of miners and nurses to Germany in the 1960s, the Vietnam War, and also the reunions of separated families of North and South Korea in the 1980s. 
In the movie, Deok-soo becomes the head of the family at a young age because his father disappears during the Korean War. Struggling through deep poverty, Deok-soo makes sacrifices to earn food for his family throughout his teens to his 40s. 
He is a representative figure of Korea’s fathers from this generation. 
Generally, a movie first becomes a hit among moviegoers in their 20s and starts to slowly gain support from the middle-aged demographic. 
However, the biggest contributor to the popularity of “Ode” was people in their 40s, who took up 34.5 percent of ticket sales, according to statistics collected by CGV as of Wednesday. 
Those in their 20s recorded 33.9 percent while people in their 30s accounted for 26.9 percent. 
In contrast, the majority of viewers who flocked to “My Love” were in their 20s. 
“People who are currently in their middle ages have always been depicted as sacrificial figures,” said movie critic Kang Yoo-jung. 
“From seeing the story of their parents who have become the elders now, they must have felt some kind of condolences from acknowledging the fact that they were also once the children of someone and that they, too, have devoted fathers.”
Koreans who have had similar experiences to Deok-soo empathized with the character. 
“Audiences who lived around the era in which Deok-soo lived will feel like that the movie is an ode to themselves and feel nostalgic and comfort,” said film critic Kim Hyung-seok. 
“Ode” takes on several important historical issues that have happened in Korea, but it does not include specific perspectives that could end up creating political divides. 
Considering the success of “The Attorney” and “Roaring Currents,” which scored huge box-office numbers by reflecting on certain political and social ideologies, it is clear that “Ode to My Father” is taking a different path. 
“As a countereffect of feeling uncomfortable with overly social movies, people were looking for a human drama at which they could just simply cry and laugh,” said Kang. 
Director Yoon Je-kyun, who was also behind the movie “Haeundae” (2009), which had more than 10 million viewers, said that he intentionally excluded any political point of views. 
“I could have melded my own political opinion in the movie, but I completely eliminated it,” he said. 
“I just wanted to tell the story of our parents who endured hardships in severe poverty. 
“I hope people in the younger generation will watch this movie with their parents and talk about it afterwards.”
Crime movie “The Con Artists,” starring up-and-coming Hallyu star Kim Woo-bin and Lee Hyun-woo, was in second place with an audience of 662,686, followed by “My Love.”
“The Royal Tailor,” which opened on Christmas Eve, ranked in fifth with 244,878 viewers, followed by Russian animation “The Snow Queen 2,” which lured in 202,369.

December 30, 2014
Domestic Films Dominate Year-End Box Office

Three domestic films are leading at the box office here as the year draws to a close.
"Ode to My Father" has drawn 4.28 million viewers as of Sunday, just 12 days after its release, as favorable reviews spread by word of mouth and the controversy over its political disposition increases interest in the film. 
It is a melodrama about a man's sacrifices for his family as he braves the coalmines of Germany and fights in the Vietnam War.
Some 1.43 million people watched the movie from Friday to Sunday, about 290,000 more than during the previous weekend. The film is expected to attract even more spectators during the New Year's holiday and winter vacation. 
"My Love, Don't Cross That River" has drawn 3.55 million viewers as of Sunday, making it the most successful indie film in Korea ahead of "Begin Again," which attracted 3.43 million moviegoers. 
"The film may hit the 4 million mark if it keeps drawing viewers during the New Year's holiday," CGV Art House said. 
"The Con Artist," starring heartthrob Kim Woo-bin, has brought in 1.42 million viewers as of Sunday, six days after its release, to rank second at the box office. 

December 31, 2014
Commercial Success of Indie Films Points to More Growth Potential
Korean films have fared well this year in terms of cinema attendance.
"The Attorney," loosely based on former President Roh Moo-hyun, started the year by attracting 11.3 million viewers, and period action film "Roaring Currents" dominated the summer with 17.6 million spectators. Andthe recently released melodrama "Ode to My Father" is sweeping the box office, attracting more than 4 million viewers in just 12 days from its release.
However, there were several star-studded films -- No Tears for the Dead," starring Jang Dong-gun, "Haemoo," produced by Bong Joon-ho, and "My Dictator," starring Sol Kyung-gu and Park Hae-il -- that failed to meet expectations.
The market share for domestic films remains at 49.9 percent as of Monday, but is expected to exceed 50 percent by the end of the year as a couple of Korean films released around Christmas including "Ode to My Father" continue to attract viewers.
However, this figure is still well behind 2012 and 2013, when the market share was around 60 percent. Consolation comes from the fact that the number of cinemagoers surpassed more than100 million for three years in a row.
Foreign films were very successful this year in Korea. Two films -- "Frozen" and "Interstellar" attracted over 10 million spectators, while "Transformers: Age of Extinction" and "X-Men: Days of Future Past" also garnered a favorable reception.
Although many speculate that the film market in Korea has reached a saturation point, the number of cinemagoers increased and ticket sales went up by a small margin. 
Last year's cinema attendance was 213.35 million, while this year's was 212.38 million as of Sunday. The industry needs to find new markets such as China for more growth and expansion.
Most noticeably, cinemagoers flocked to independent films. "Grand Budapest Hotel" and "Her" were surprisingly successful, attracting 770,000 and 350,000 viewers, respectively. Musical comedy "Begin Again" drew 3.43 million spectators. 
Korean Documentary "My Love, Don't Cross That River" drew more than 3 million viewers, breaking the record for an Indie film set by "Old Partner" in 2009, which drew 29.3 million viewers.

January 2, 2015
Film about modern Korean history tops 6 million viewer mark amid controversy
SEOUL, Jan. 2 (Yonhap) -- A domestic film depicting the life of a typical father from Korea's older generation has attracted more than 6 million viewers, its investor-distributor said Friday, amid controversy over the film's alleged right-wing ideological bias.
"Ode to My Father" exceeded the milestone on Thursday, drawing a total of 6,097,483 people to 941 theaters around the country since it opened on Dec. 17, CJ Entertainment said.
The human drama drew a record 751,253 people on Thursday alone, the largest-ever number of viewers for a single film on New Year's Day.
Industry experts say, if the current trend continues, the movie is expected to easily top 7 million this weekend.
Directed by Youn Je-kyun, who is best known for the 2009 hit film "Haeundae," "Ode to My Father" tells the story of an ordinary father named Deok-su (played by Hwang Jung-min) who sacrificed himself to support his family through the country's turbulent modern history from the 1950-53 Korean War till recently.
But the movie has sparked heated online controversy since some young critics criticized it for taking an approach of justifying extreme nationalism in appealing to the people's patriotism for money.
President Park Geun-hye fueled the debate by saying after watching the film earlier this week that "we should love the state whether we are pleasant or sad," citing a scene from the movie in which the domestic fight between Deok-su and his wife is interrupted by the sound of the national anthem.
In the 1970s, the government played the national anthem in the evenings every day to heighten nationalism. All Korean citizens were obliged to stand up and put their right hand to their chest to show respect when the national anthem was played.
AEN20150102003700315_01_i.jpg
A poster of the hit Korean film "Ode to My Father" (Yonhap) A poster of the hit Korean film "Ode to My Father" (Yonhap)

December 29, 2014
JK YOUN Director of ODE TO MY FATHER"I wanted to prove that I can make well-made commercial films"
 by KIM Hyun-soo KOBIZ ZoWQGfjIERLNhmqhLtvr.jpg

JK YOUN’s Ode to My Father reached 4 million admissions in just 14 days, after its release on December 17th. It’s not a surprise for JK YOUN who is known as one of the ’10 million admissions directors’. Will he be able to record a second 10 million hit film? Although we won’t know the final number for the film just yet, Ode to My Father has a personal meaning to YOUN. He has confessed that it’s a film made for his father and has been dreaming of creating it for ten years. Ode to My Father has also been invited officially to the Berlin International Film Festival in the Panorama Section, which gave the director the honor of being invited to an international film festival for the first time. We sat down with JK YOUN to know more about Ode to My Father. How did you come to work on Ode to My Father?I had my first child in 2004. The milestone made me think of my father who had passed away. I never had a chance to say thank you, and dreamt to make a film about fatherhood for him. However, in order to express the times set in the film, we needed at least USD 10 million. At the time, I was a failed director due to weak box office performance of Crazy Assassins (2003). Who would invest in such a director? However, after the box office hit Haeundae in 2009, I was able to start working on Ode to My Father. HWANG Jung-min plays Deok-su from his 20s to senior years. Why did you choose HWANG for the role?I needed an actor with a wide spectrum, who would be able to cover the character from his 20s to his 70s. There are many actors who would be able to cover the 30s to later years, but I could only think of HWANG Jung-min for Deok-su in Ode to My Father. Also, I thought his personality was very close to my father and me. We’re direct, but we have good intentions. 

KIM Yun-jin who has her feet in Hollywood took on a feminine role in Ode to My Father, which was quite a surprise.May people think that KIM Yun-jin suits a powerful character, but in reality, she is very feminine and soft. There were several scenes when authenticity was crucial, especially the scene where she cries her heart out, trying to save her loved one. I couldn’t think of anyone else but KIM. Also, I was interested in showing a different side of her that people are not aware of. Has anyone seen her romantic comedy? It is a newly found KIM Yun-jin in Ode to My Father.

Archived