Kim Yun Jin 김윤진

Guest huangsy

January 12, 2010

Kim Yun-jin Sings in 'Harmony' Onscreen

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff Reporter

Not long after "Executioner,'' the first movie to be filmed in a real prison, and "The Actresses,'' featuring a rare all-female cast, comes "Harmony,'' about women living behind bars in tune to a different synchronization.

Kim Yun-jin returns to the local screen two years after starring in the hit thriller "Seven Days.'' The "Lost'' star has shed her serious image to wear an unfading smile and a blue jail uniform in the tearjerker family drama. "It's a movie for which we had to reshoot scenes because we cried too much,'' the actress said Monday in Seoul following the film's press preview. Produced by "Haeundae'' director Yun Je-kyoon and directed by newcomer Kang Dae-gyu, the movie is indeed designed to draw out tears ― and despite some oddly placed musical moments and mainstream superficiality, it works.

Kim stars as Jeong-hye, who, after killing her abusive husband, is sentenced to serve 10 years in Cheongju Women's Prison. She gives birth to a baby boy during the stint and tries to cherish every bit of the 18 months she has with Min-ho before giving him up for adoption, in accordance with the law.

One day she is impressed by a visiting choir and sets out to start one her own. The kindhearted prison chief promises Jeong-hye a special outing with Min-ho if she succeeds. But contrary to the film's title, the protagonist is severely tone deaf and her pitchy lullabies induce tearful fits, rather than sleep, from Min-ho. Yet this happy-go-lucky story makes sure its protagonist never loses her smile, and she finds help in her prison mate Mun-ok, a former music professor on death row. Veteran actress Na Moon-hee gives weight and a compelling spin to the melodrama.

Also joining in the harmony are a comic duo of girlfriends, a night club singer and professional wrestler (played by musical actresses Jung Su-yeong and Park Jun-myeon, respectively) and a young soprano with a dark past ("Haeundae'' starlet Kang Ye-won, who actually majored in music in college).

Shooting the film in an actual prison ― though it was limited to mostly public areas such as the rooftop and courtyard ― proved to be a special experience for the cast. Na said witnessing an elderly woman make haste to visit her child helped her interpret her character, who does not give up trying to reach out to her children, who had shunned their convict mother. Kim recalls a moment when an inmate started singing along with her from inside a cell when she was rehearing in the hall.

"Harmony'' rings with strong sorority spirit, featuring the women making the most of their cohabitation in a tiny space ― using empty toilet paper rolls as hair rollers and working with a piece of yarn to slice up a watermelon. "I've never been offered the chance to play a character like Jeong-hye, who makes such a beautiful effort under desperate conditions. I accepted it without second thought,'' said Kim.

The movie casts the characters, who are sentenced for some serious offenses, under a sympathetic light ― as victims of rape, fraud or heartbreak. "I found out through research that most women commit accidental crimes. I did not however attempt to tell a story on their behalf; rather I aimed to tell a story about family ties, how people try to connect with family even under tough conditions. It's a story about a different form of family,'' said the director.

The movie is not so much a "Sound of Music''-type bonding story through music; indeed the inmates rediscover hope through singing, but climactic moments follow after Jeong-hye gives up Min-ho for adoption. The choir has matured into a reputable ensemble, and the members are granted the opportunity to give a special performance and a special session to reunite with family members.

In theaters Jan. 28. Distributed by CJ Entertainment.

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

January 28, 2010

Kim Yun-jin sets up entertainment firm

Reporter.Ko Jae-wan Editor.Lucia Hong

2010011323280895442_1.jpg

Korean actress Kim Yun-jin [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actress Kim Yun-jin has set up her own talenthouse called Zion Entertainment.

Zion announced in a press release that the agency, established by Kim, will work in affiliation with William Morris Endeavor Entertainment (WME Entertainment), maintaining a system similar to its U.S. counterpart.

A representative from Zion explained, "The company will be run in the form of a U.S. agency, eliminating the contract-based wage system and separating the role of the agent, management team and promoters." Zion and WME will also work together in searching and training new talent.

Kim, who rose to fame after starring in 1999 hit film "Shiri," has been a cast member of the Emmy-winning U.S. TV series "Lost" since 2004. Her new film "Harmony" will open in theaters on Thursday.

Reporter : Ko Jae-wan star@asiae.co.kr Editor : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

January 29, 2010

"Harmony" topples "Avatar" on daily admissions chart

Reporter.Lucia Hong Editor.Jessica Kim

2009121710215561690_1.jpg

Korean movie "Harmony" [CJ Entertainment]

Kim Yun-jin starrer "Harmony" attracted the most moviegoers on Thursday, making it the first Korean film to place atop the local box office in 78 days.

According to the statistics from the Korean Film Council (KOFIC), "Harmony" attracted 103,196 viewers on the day of its release, topping daily admissions to become the first local film to rank above an overseas production.

The film pushed down 43-day winner "Avatar" to second place with admissions of 95,637 for Thursday. The James Cameron sci-fi action flick has brought in a total 10,721,615 viewers since its release mid-December, making it the sixth most-watched film in Korea's box office history.

Before "Avatar" hit theaters, the domestic film market had been dominated by U.S. box office hits since November 12 including "2012", "Ninja Assassin", "New Moon" and "Law Abiding Citizen". "Cheongdam Bosal" starring Korean actors Im Chang-jung and Park Ye-jin which debuted in November 11 was the last local film to place atop the daily ranks.

Several much-hyped Korean movies such as "White Night", "Actresses", "WOOCHI" and "No Mercy" failed to take the No. 1 spot after their release.

"Harmony" stars actress Kim Yun-jin who plays a prisoner that forms a choir with her inmates.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

January 29, 2010

Kim Yun-jin establishes her own company

January 29th, 2010 // by javabeans

kimyunjin_05.jpg

Another celebrity is setting up an independent company, this time Lost star Kim Yun-jin, who will be establishing Zion Entertainment. Since she has spent most of her time in recent years working in the U.S., she hasn’t worked with a large management firm in Korea, but kept her activities on a small scale. Now with Lost in its last season, she will set up her own company to handle her future activities in Korea.

Zion Entertainment will take cues from the U.S. agency system, using a mix of the Korean and Hollywood modes of operation. (Kim is signed with powerhouse agency William Morris Endeavor.) For instance, it will not use the Korean practice of companies giving its actors contract fees, and as in the Hollywood system, it will separate the roles of agent, manager, and publicist. Korean management firms, on the other hand, are monolithic entities that often exercise complete (or very tight) control over their commodities.

Kim’s manager, Kook Byung-jin, explained that over the years she has had several offers from large-scale agencies, “but she felt disappointment in the capitalist practices of the entertainment companies, which is why she did not choose to contract herself with those companies. We’re opening the Korean system to a format modeled after U.S. agencies, where business is divided into specialized parts.”

Kim’s new Korean film, Harmony, opened in theaters on January 28. The film stars her as a prison inmate who joins the choir in order to visit the baby from whom she remains separated during her incarceration.

Via Newsen, thanks to dramabeans.com

January 30, 2010

How Kim Yun-jin's Korean Success Helped Her Make It in Hollywood

2010013000188_1.jpg

Kim Yun-jin spends nine months of the year in Hawaii shooting the popular U.S. drama series "Lost" and the remainder resting and working in Korea. She is the first Korean actress to have successfully launched a career in the U.S., though many others have tried. The fact that she moved to the U.S. as a child probably helped as there was no language barrier to overcome, but that alone would not have been enough.

"I strategically pretended to be terribly busy when I first tried to get acting jobs in the U.S.," she says. "I didn't want to seem desperate to be cast. I intentionally made appointments in Korea and told my U.S. agent that I'm busy and only available on certain dates. I wanted them to think of me as someone who is not readily available so they couldn't cancel meetings. That worked, and I was able to meet high-ranking influential people much quicker." Producers in the U.S. took note of what Kim did in Korea, and word of her reputation and popularity in Korea got to the U.S. That was crucial in getting her cast in "Lost," and is one reason why she visits Korea often despite her busy schedule and filmed Korean movies like "Seven Days" and "Harmony."

Kim's long run with "Lost" ends in April when the sixth and final season wraps up. "In a way it's good since I don't have to play the same part again, but it's also sad. I'm afraid, but I'm also excited about a new start," she says. Kim is a trailblazer for other Korean actors to go to Hollywood in recent years. "I can't say that other Korean actors like Lee Byung-hun and Jeon Ji-hyun could appear in Hollywood films because of my success," she says. "But maybe I helped familiarize American audiences with seeing Korean actors. The interest in Korean actors, though, has a lot to do with the Korean Wave. When casting Asian actors in the U.S., casting directors look not only at Asian actors in the U.S. but to actors in all Asian countries. Because the Asian market is huge, American producers tend to choose those who are popular in Asia. Thanks to the Korean Wave, many Korean actors make it on the candidates' list. The Korean Wave has influence not only in Asia but also in the U.S. I hope more Korean actors can establish a career in Hollywood."

But Kim does not believe she has a Hollywood career yet. "You can say that if you've appeared in a film, but I did a TV series, and I think I can get to be in more TV series. But it's movies that I really want to do. That is my next goal,” she says.

What about her personal life? "I've been thinking about getting married a lot for a long time. I think marriage is one of the biggest concerns for all women in modern society, not just me," she says. "You have a desire to build up your career and become famous, and marriage is very difficult because of the pressure that having babies puts on you. But most of all, I haven't met anyone I really love." Would nationality matter for a person with a global career when it comes to romance? "Of course I don't think national boundaries are a limit to romance, but the people I had serious relationships with were all Koreans. I think you can't overlook cultural differences."

Credits: englishnews@chosun.com

January 29, 2010

‘Lost’ star gets in tune with ‘Harmony’

‘I wanted a role that would really be different ...

but I’m attracted to strong female characters.’

28210032.jpg

“Lost” star Kim Yun-jin is back in Korea with a new film

about a woman who is jailed for killing her abusive husband. [JoongAng Ilbo]

When people make mention of actress Kim Yun-jin, the adjectives attractive, intelligent and charismatic often pop up in the text.

Kim, who is known outside of Korea as Sun Kwon on the U.S. television drama “Lost,” has built her career around characters who also possess these qualities. Now, Kim is hoping to add a new dimension to her image with a new role in the Korean film “Harmony,” which was released yesterday.

In the film she plays Jeong-hye, who is given a 10-year prison term for killing her abusive husband. Shortly after she is put in jail, Jeong-hye gives birth to a child. Eighteen months after that she will have to give up her child for adoption, in accordance with Korean law. In the meantime, Jeong-hye organizes a choir to deal with the hardships she is facing and through it she is offered the possibility of earning a special one-day leave to see her son. “Even before I had heard the entire story, I knew what kind of movie it would be,” she said in an interview with the JoongAng Ilbo. “And I knew it would make audiences cry.”

Since the film has many obviously emotional scenes, such as the one where Jeong-hye and her son are forced to part, Kim was a little hesitant about whether she wanted to sign on. But she found that she was drawn to the character, and she and director Kang Dae-kyu spent a lot of time discussing how the character would develop.

Kim had another reason for taking the role: she needed a change. She last appeared in the Korean cinema three years ago as a tough lawyer in the film “Seven Days” (2007). She rose to fame here as a spy in “Shiri” (1999). “I wondered what it would be like to be part of a film with so many female characters,” she said. “I also wanted a role that would really be different from those I’ve played in the past. But Jeong-hye became a character who is positive as well as strong. I think I’m naturally attracted to strong female characters.”

In addition to giving her a different kind of role to play, the film also gave Kim the opportunity to work with 69-year-old veteran actress Na Mun-hee. “One day while we were filming, I saw Na was sitting alone on a bench. She didn’t cry and didn’t say a word, but her body was telling me that she was full of sadness,” she said. “Until I met Na, I hadn’t ever communicated so deeply with an acting partner. Just making eye contact with her, my eyes were full of tears.

“Na helped me to immerse myself in the character of Jeong-hye 100 percent. When I was doing Shiri 10 years ago, Choi Min-sik told me that I only shine when my partner shines. As I worked with Na, I began to realize what he meant.” Choi is a Korean actor who is well known for his role in the hit film “Oldboy.”

After the Harmony premiere, Kim will go back to the United States to film the next, and last, season of Lost. After the show wraps in May, Kim plans to keep right on working. “I will keep auditioning. I may not find a role for days or months, but I’m ready for that. Now that I’ve started a career in Hollywood, I will keep working until the day when I win an Academy Award. I feel free to dream, because the dream is mine.”

By Ki Sun-min [so@joongang.co.kr] via joongangdaily.joins.com

[movie 2010] Harmony 하모니

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=329124

February 1, 2010

"Avatar" leads domestic box office for seventh week

Worldwide box office champ "Avatar" continued to set new highs on Korea's box office, becoming the highest grossing film ever released in the country as it topped the tally for the seventh weekend in a row.

According to estimates by the Korean Box Office Information System (KOBIS) on Monday, "Avatar" sold 545,323 tickets between January 29 and 31 to accumulate nearly 11.27 million admissions since its release mid-December. In cash terms, the sci-fi epic grossed about 101.2 billion won, or about 86.2 million dollars, to become the first film released on the domestic box office to breach the 100 billion won mark.

The mega-budget 3D pic, which last week became the first overseas film to attract over ten million admissions, brushed past "Silmido" to rank as the fifth most-watched movie in Korea's film history after "The Host", "King and the Clown", "Taegugki" and "Haeundae" .

Newly released Korean flicks, "Harmony" and "Le Grand Chef 2: Kimchi Battle" followed behind with 494,695 admissions and 204,384, respectively.

Rounding off the top five slots were the Korean pics "WOOCHI" with 186,596 admission and comedy "Attack of the Gas Station 2" which did 131,990, dropping three spots to No. 5. Other movies included in the top ten were "Le Petit Nicholas", "Did You Hear About the Morgans?", "No Mercy", "Joomoonjin" and "Astro Boy".

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

February 8, 2010

[RATINGS] Weekend Box Office: Feb 5-7

Lucia Hong.

2010020810430244120_4.jpg

South Korea's box office estimates for the weekend of February 5-7, 2010 [Korean Box Office Information System (KOBIS)]

Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

"Secret Reunion" takes first win on Korean box office

Korean film "Secret Reunion" and "Harmony" took over the Korean box office over the weekend to end the reign of Hollywood blockbuster "Avatar," estimates showed on Monday.

According to figures by the Korean Box Office Information System (KOBIS), newly released action film "Reunion" knocked out seven week winner "Avatar" out of the top spot by selling 741,552 tickets between February 5 and 7. "Reunion," about a former South Korean intelligence official and North Korean spy who re-encounter each other six years after their initial meeting, stars actors Song Kang-ho and Gang Dong-won who play the role of the failed agents.

Korean drama "Harmony," starring actress Kim Yun-jin of the U.S. "Lost" series, followed after "Reunion" on the local box office for the second consecutive week with 388,383 admissions. While "Avatar" fell back two slots to No. 3 with 363,639 moviegoers over the three-day period, the James Cameron mega-hit pic hauled in an accumulate 11.9 million viewers since its release to become the third most-watched film in Korea's box office history.

Rounding off the top five were Korean films "WOOCHI" with 79,435 viewers and "Le Grand Chef 2: Kimchi Battle" with 63,114. Other movies in the top ten were "Le Petit Nicholas", "Attack of the Gas Station 2", "Did You Hear About the Morgans?", "I Hate Valentine's Day", and "Astro Boy".

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

February 12, 2010

Kim Yun-jin to grace cover of U.S. entertainment magazine

2010011323280895442_2.jpg

Korean actress Kim Yun-jin [Asia Economic Daily]

Korean actress Kim Yun-jin will be featured on the cover of Entertainment Weekly, one of the top entertainment magazines in the United States, according to Kim's agency Zion Entertainment.

The actress, who is currently in shooting for the final season of ABC's hit series "Lost," posed for the cover of the magazine alone for the first time. She had appeared on the front of the publication over several occasions alongside other members of the show but never by herself.

Kim made herself a household name after starring in "Swiri," the highest grossing film in 1999, where she played the role of a North Korean spy. She then gained recognition overseas for her role in the Emmy Awards-winning show "Lost," making her the first South Korean actress to make a breakthrough into the U.S. entertainment industry.Her latest film "Harmony," where she is a prisoner who forms a choir, has attracted over 1.3 million viewers since its opening late last month.

Kim, 36, recently set up Zion, which works in affiliation with major U.S. talent management agency William Morris Endeavor Entertainment.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

February 16, 2010

Kim Yoon-jin Chosen as Cover Model for Famous Magazine in U.S.

Actress Kim Yoon-jin, who works in Korea as well as the U.S.A., will be on the cover of famous American magazine Entertainment Weekly. Kim’s agency Zion Entertainment said,“Kim was chosen as the cover model for the magazine ‘Entertainment Weekly.’" Actress Kim Yoon-jin, who works at Korea as well as the U.S.A., would be on the front of America famous Entertainment weekly magazine. Kim’s agency Zion Entertainment said,“Kim was chosen a cover model for the magazine ‘Entertainment Weekly.’

7287_860_l.jpg

Kim shot the cover of a magazine with other cast members of the drama “Lost” in 2006, but she has made the cover of a magazine on her own for the first time. Kim has been in the spotlight: she had exclusive interviews with Entertainment Weekly several times now.

Kim said, “I was lucky to appear in the TV series Lost. Making the cover of the magazine is a great opportunity for me. I am glad that my efforts during the past six years have finally come to fruition.” On February 14, Kim is scheduled to come to Korea for 3 nights and 4 days to promote her movie “Harmony” (Director Kang Dae-gyu) and shoot a cosmetics commercial.

Source: KBS Global

February 16, 2010

[RATINGS] Weekend Box Office: Feb 12-14

Reporter.Lucia Hong

2010021609315057343_1.jpg

South Korea's box office estimates for the weekend of February 12-14, 2010 [Korean Box Office Information System (KOBIS)]

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

"Secret Reunion" takes another win on Korean box office

Korean movie "Secret Reunion" remained the most popular film in South Korea for the second week in a row, according to estimates on Monday. Data released by the Korean Box Office Information System (KOBIS) indicated that the action flick hung onto spot atop the local box office, selling 726,116 tickets between February 12 and 14 and over a total two million since its release in early February.

"Reunion" is about the rendezvous of a former South Korean intelligence official, played by Sang Kang-ho, and North Korean spy, played by Gang Dong-won, meeting six years after their initial encounter. Newly released Hollywood film "Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief" entered the chart at No. 2 with 442,573 admissions while Korean drama "Harmony" starring actress Kim Yun-jin fell back a slot to third with 298,985 moviegoers during the weekend.

James Cameron's "Avatar" also went down a spot to take fourth place on the chart but claimed the title as the second most-watched movie to date by garnering over 12.3 million admissions since its release late last year. "Avatar" now ranks above Korean film "The King and the Clown" and trails only behind Bong Joon-ho monster pic "The Host."Other movies in the top ten were "Confucius," "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs," "The Wolfman," "Valentine's Day," "One Piece Film: Strong World" and "Le Grand Chef 2: Kimchi Battle."

• 3 weeks later...

March 15, 2010

Actress Kim Yun-jin's Movie Picks

Reporter.Lee Ji-Hye Photographer.Chae ki-won Editor.Jessica Kim

2010030315334386870_1.jpg

Actress Kim Yun-jin [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Kim Yun-jin spent her childhood in the United States and made her first step into the world of acting on Broadway. Hence, English was the language she acted in and also used for over 20 years to speak her mind. But 10Asia's interview with the actress revealed that her Korean was just as accurate and rich in expression. Whatever the question, she gave clear answers while appropriately adding in adjectives which would embellish her sentences. Her style of speech was just like her acting -- on point yet elaborate.

Many people associated Kim with the term 'female soldier' for a long time after she made her film debut playing a North Korean spy in "Swiri." The audience was unfamiliar with this actress who till then had made a few unnoted appearances in Korean dramas, but she left her mark with "Swiri," standing strong with her role opposite top Korean actor Han Suk-kyu who played the South Korean agent she loves. She then took on "Gingko Bed 2: Danjeobiyeonsu" where her piercing eyes reached beyond the camera to the audience. And just when it seemed she would forever trap herself in the image of a female soldier, Kim started expanding on her scope of acting. In "Milae," she suffered just like her character Mi-heun did until she found hope in her life. And she may have ended up being the stereotypical Asian woman and finicky lawyer with her roles in the "Lost" series and Korean pic "Seven Days" but with her belief that "it is up to the actor to fill in the empty spaces," her characters became individuals with something more than empty hearts.

"There is nowhere for us actresses to stand. I recently talked with Lee Mi-yeon and Kang Soo-yeon who said there are very few roles for actresses my age to play. I'm sure many actresses are in similar situations," Kim said regrettably of the reality of the Korean film industry while sharing her thoughts on the films she loves. Kim gave her choice of movies starring female characters which made her overcome with jealously.

1. Cate Blanchett from "Notes On A Scandal"

2006 | Richard Eyre

"I marvel at her everytime I see her because she's perfect in both technique and delivering emotion. She also has charisma and is great at pulling off different English dialects. I envy actors like her who have great technique. If I was asked to talk in a certain Korean dialect, I'd had to live in that area for several months but she's from Australia so she is great at speaking in a British accent too. It's amazing how she can pull off pretty much any role. And Judi Dench is also a great actress. She brought out Barbara's loneliness through her voice which sounded as if it would break as easily as thin crystal. I really enjoyed the two's acting which did well in bringing their not-easy-to-act characters to life.

Lonely or mentally worn-out people look for something to depend on. It could be anything -- alcohol, chocolate or sometimes, other people. But what gives you strength will surely ruin you if such dependancy turns into addiction. Such was what the 15-year-old boy was to Sheba, played by Blanchett, as was Sheba to Barbara, played by Dench. Barbara, who obsesses over Sheba to avoid her loneliness, is as frightening as a thriller while her immeasurable loneliness is suffocatingly sad.

2. Kate Winslet from "The Reader"

2008 | Stephen Daldry

"I read the book before seeing the film and I had thought the story would make a great movie. And how excited I became when I heard it really would be made into one. I envied [Winslet] for the fact that she got to play Hanna's role. (laugh) It's very difficult to carry over what's in a book to the screen but I think Winslet managed to pull off the subtle emotions her character Hanna felt while also filling in the empty spaces. Hanna sobs like a kid when Michael reads to her. It was undoubtedly the best scene because the expression Winslet put on when she gets immersed in the story containing the love, life and knowledge that she desires for, was so perfect."

The Holocaust was one of mankind's worst crimes but could it be said that all who took part in committing the crime was evil? Some may view Hanna, played by Winslet, as a soulless being although she engaged in the evil deed without being aware of it, but to Michael, played by Ralph Fiennes and David Cross, she is his first and only love. Hanna may have sent Jewish people to gas chambers but she was also a woman who had a warmth to her, one who cries over love stories and laughs at comical characters.

3. Keira Knightley from "Atonement"

2007 | Joe Wright

"I think this is the film where Keira Knightley left the strongest impression. I could feel the confidence of her character Cecilia as soon as she appeared in the film. And the confidence she exuded even when walking out of the fountain when she was wet! I was impressed by the actress who played Cecelia's younger sister, Briony. To feel guilty for the rest of your life over a small mistake you made when you were young... I was definitely moved by how Cecelia made an effort to love even though there was nothing left of her soul."

Envy and misunderstanding are the main obstacles to love. What led their relationship to tragedy was not their difference in status, but petty misunderstandings and someone's jealousy. Their last moment together is so heartbreaking that it is difficult to forgive Briony, even if she may live for the rest of her life without being able to repay her debt.

4. The three actresses from "The Hours"

2002 | Stephen Daldry

"I like Meryl Streep, Julianne Moore and Nicole Kidman but I had also liked Virginia Woolf's novel 'Mrs. Dalloway' since I was young. To think that a group of such great actresses would tell that story! I envied the fact that you can see all three actresses in a single movie. And I liked that scenario which did well in depicting the subtle traits to the female characters. How great it would be if such a poetic yet popular film starring actresses was to be made in Korea too."

There are three Mrs. Dalloways in this film. Virginia Woolf herself, a housewife immersed in Woolf's book, and a publishing editor nicknamed Dalloway. The three's lives, which transcend time and space yet are interconnected by the novel, are surprisingly alike -- their lives which seem so peaceful on the outside yet are being gnawed at by the pains they have secretly tucked away. How they overcome or become seized by their wounds will make the onlooker look back on their daily life too.

5. Tang Wei of "Lust, Caution"

2007 | Ang Lee

"The fact that Tang Wei's bodily exposure in the film was emphasized still trouble's my mind. People fussed over whether I too had overexposed myself in film "Deep Loves" when it had nothing to do with the movie itself. I think newcomer Tang Wei was great because she in no way was outshined by top actor Tony Leung Chiu-Wai. I marveled at the director's genius once again after coming across a book which contained the process of how the film was produced because it turned out that the problematic sex scene was shot at the very beginning of filming. The director had wanted to show it as something close to violence, as if they were in war. I also marveled at the actors who must have been under a huge amount of stress from having to shoot that scene in the very beginning but managed to overcome it."

Female college student Wong Chia Chi, played by Tang Wei, becomes involved in China's resistance to plot an assassination against Yee, played by Leung, a high-ranking special agent under the puppet government of the Imperial Japanese Army. But the woman finds herself falling in love with the man who too, becomes increasingly attracted to the woman. So was it true love that they felt for each other? What else could the empty look in his eyes mean, the look he puts on after he pushes out the woman he physically interacted with into a deadly situation?

Reporter: Lee Ji-Hye seven@10asia.co.kr Photographer: Chae ki-won ten@10asia.co.kr Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

The first time I saw Kim Yun Jin was in a kdrama with Choi Ji Woo, Park Jin Hee, and Ryoo Jin. It was an old kdrama. Does anyone know the title of it? I can't remember and it's been driving me crazy :lol: . I think there is a word 'three' on the title..

----EDIT----

I remember now... 'Love in Three Colors' (1999), she's in it.

• 3 weeks later...

March 25, 2010

Korean pic "Mother", stars win big at Green Planet Movie Awards

Reporter.Lynn Kim Editor.Jessica Kim

2010032511230831479_1.jpg

Korean filmmaker Bong Joon-ho wins Best International Director award at Green Planet Movie Awards

held in Los Angeles, California on March 23, 2010 [Korea Green Foundation]

Korean film "Mother" and a handful of Korean actors picked up multiple awards including the prize for Best Foreign Culture Film of the Year at the 2nd Green Planet Movie Awards held in California, according to event sponsor Korea Green Foundation (KGF) on Thursday.

KGF announced in a press release that film "Mother" and Korean movie stars were handed a total of 12 awards in nine different categories at the event, which took place at the Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites in Los Angeles on March 23 (local time).

Bong Joon-ho's pic "Mother", starring veteran actress Kim Hye-ja and Hallyu star Won Bin, was awarded four trophies in the following categories: Best Foreign Culture Film of the Year, Best International Director, Best International Film and Best International Drama (Asia).

All-around Korean entertainer Rain scored a triple win, claiming the titles for 10 Outstanding Asians in Hollywood, Asian Cultural Ambassador of the Year and Best International Entertainer (Asia).

Korean-Canadian actress Sandra Oh, best known for appearing in the hit U.S. TV series "Grey's Anatomy", also made the 10 Outstanding Asians list.

Top Korean actors Lee Byung-hun and Choi Min-sik were named 10 Best International Actors of the Decade (Asia) while Kim Yun-jin and Kim Hye-soo were chosen in the same category for actresses.

Green Planet Movie Awards, formerly known as the Green Globe Film Awards, is one of the largest international film events in Hollywood which promotes film, Asian culture and a "green" environment.

Winners were selected by viewers -- composed of fans and critics from around the world -- who submitted their votes on the official website by March 15.

The Korean film industry had received much hype prior to the awards ceremony for scoring 62 nominations, the most from any Asian country.

greenPlanet3.jpg

《Green Planet Movie Awards - List of Winners》

MAJOR MOTION PICTURE AWARDS

▶ Best Foreign Culture Film of the Year - "Mother"

▶ 10 Outstanding Asians in Hollywood - Rain (Jung Ji-hoon), Sandra Oh

INTERNATIONAL FILM AWARDS THEME: ASIA

▶ Best International Director (Asia) - Bong Joon-ho ("Mother")

▶ Best International Film (Asia) - "Mother"

▶ Best International Drama (Asia) - "Mother"

▶ Asian Cultural Ambassador of the Year - Rain

▶ Best International Entertainer (Asia) - Rain

▶ 10 Best International Actors of the Decade (Asia) - Lee Byung-hun, Choi Min-sik

10 Best International Actresses of the Decade (Asia) - Kim Yun-jin, Kim Hye-soo

Reporter: Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr / news.nate.com 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !

Kim Yun-jin marries in Hawaii

March 27th, 2010 // by javabeans

201003281445192100_1.jpg

What a sudden announcement: Kim Yun-jin, the 36-year-old actress of U.S. television series Lost and Korean films Harmony and Shiri, will marry on March 28 in Hawaii. The actress released the news with little advance notice, via press release on the afternoon of the 28th (Korean time).

The groom, Mr. Park, is identified as a film producer who is the same age as Kim. She has been in a relationship with Park since 2007 after first meeting in 2002, when he was her manager. They began dating while she wrote her book, The World is Your Drama. Kim described her groom as “a very humorous and considerate person.”

The ceremony will be held on a private beach and attended by a small group of family and friends. Kim is currently filming the sixth season of Lost in Hawaii, so the couple will wait for shooting to end to embark on their honeymoon.

Via OSEN / dramabeans.com

Kim Yun Jin to tie the knot in surprise wedding

by rameninmybowl on March 28, 2010

2010032807927_2009092243321.jpg

Korea’s proud international actress/potential Na’vian blue princess (?), Kim Yun Jin has will be getting married on the 28th (only few hours from now!) in Hawaii with a movie maker, Park Jeong Hyuk. “They will ring the wedding march at a privately owned beach,” a source reveals.

Kim Yun Jin and the man whom she will marry have been in a relationship since 2007, with the two first meeting as an actress and manager in 2002. According to the bride herself, Park is a “humorous, and heartwarming” man.

Unfortunately, the ceremony will be strictly off-limits other than few of the couple’s close relatives and friends. Currently busy appearing for the series LOST, the wedding will proceed as soon as Kim Yoon Jin finishes her filming.

It has also been revealed that the two lovebirds will settle at Los Angeles as their home. All in all, we wish you both all the happiness!

Source: allkpop.com / news.nate.com

March 28, 2010

Actress Kim Yun-jin to Marry in Hawaii

By Chung Ah-young

Staff Reporter

100328_2p16_1.jpg

Actress Kim Yun-jin

Actress Kim Yun-jin, widely known for her role in the American television series "Lost,'' will marry a film producer in Hawaii on March 29 (KST). According to her agency, the wedding ceremony will be held on a private beach and only attended by family and friends. "After having dated for three years, I am about to begin a new life with my partner who has been with me whenever I was happy and in trouble for eight years,'' Kim was quoted as saying by her agency.

Kim met her husband in 2002 and became close with him when she wrote her book "The World is Your Drama'' in 2007. Her husband, with the surname Park, established an entertainment company in January, which supports Kim's activities both at home and abroad, and engages in film production.

Kim rose to stardom in "Swiri'' (1997), in which she starred as a North Korean spy and became a household name worldwide with her role in "Lost'' in 2004.Kim has recently starred in the film "Harmony,'' playing the role of a prisoner who forms a choir.

The 37-year-old actress is currently filming the sixth season of "Lost'' in Hawaii.

Credist: janee@koreatimes.co.kr

March 29, 2010

Kim Yun-jin to Marry in Hawaii

2010032900334_1.jpg

Kim Yun-jin

Actress Kim Yun-jin will tie the knot with her long-time manager and boyfriend Park Jeong-hyuk, CEO of Kim's agency Zion Entertainment, in Hawaii on Sunday (local time).

"I have decided to spend the rest of my life with my partner who has been watching over me for the last eight years," Kim announced through her agency. "We first met in 2002, and began an intimate relationship in 2007 when I was writing my autobiography."

Only a small number of family members will attend the wedding, which will not be open to the public. The couple will go on a honeymoon as soon as Kim is done shooting her current project, the hit ABC TV series "Lost."

A graduate of Boston University, Kim rose to stardom with roles in several acclaimed Korean films including "Swiri" (1999) and "Ardor" (2002). She became an international star with "Lost," which began airing in 2004.

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

March 30, 2010

Actress Kim Yun Jin Marries in Hawaii on March 28

7331_1012_l.jpg

Actress Kim Yun Jin married a man surnamed Park, a film producer, in Hawaii on March 28.

Kim’s agency delivered the announcement, “Kim Yun Jin has dated Park for three years since 2007 and finally decided to walk down the aisle with him. The wedding was held on a private beach and only family and a few acquaintances attended the quiet and simple ceremony.”

The agency quoted Kim’s words, “After having dated for three years, I am about to begin a new life with my partner who has been with me whenever I was happy and in trouble over eight years.”

The agency continued her quote, “I met him in 2002 and had known him as a colleague before we became close in 2007 when I had many conversations with him in order to write a book titled ‘The World is Your Drama.’ He is a humorous and kind person.”

Kim Yun Jin will own houses in both Seoul and Los Angeles and continue her acting while she travels to and from both locations.

She is currently filming the sixth season of “Lost” and will go on a honeymoon to a nearby island and take a rest as soon as she finishes filming the drama.

Source: KBS Global

• 2 weeks later...

April 7, 2010

Korean films dominate local box office during Q1

Reporter.Ko Kyoung-seok Editor.Lynn Kim

2010040715304245784_1.jpg

Posters for film "Secret Reunion" (left) and "Harmony" [showbox/CJ Entertainment]

Korean films kept a strong presence on the domestic box office during the first quarter of this year despite the explosive success of "Avatar," according to data by the Korean Film Council (KOFIC).

The KOFIC's quarterly report on the local film industry, released Tuesday, reported that Korean movies accounted for 44.3 percent of market share on the local box office from January to March 2010.

Several domestic films -- including "Secret Reunion", "WOOCHI" and "Harmony" -- each drew over three million moviegoers, faring considerably well against Hollywood blockbuster "Avatar," which dominated Korean theaters for multiple weeks since its release in mid-December. The James Cameron pic clocked in over 13.3 million admissions, becoming the most-watched film in Korean box office history as well as the highest-grossing film all-time worldwide.

In January, Korean films' presence stood at 39.1 percent on the local box office while soaring to 57.2 percent the next month. The monthly figure took a slight dip in March, however, recording a figure in the mid-30 percent range due to the lack of hit domestic productions. The most-watched ten films in the country during the first quarter included five Korean movies; "Secret Reunion" (at No. 2 with 5.37 million admissions), "WOOCHI" (No. 3, 3.59 mil.), "Harmony" (No. 4, 2.99 mil.), "No Mercy" (No. 8, 1.12 mil.) and "Parallel Life" (No. 9, 0.91 mil.).

"Avatar" led foreign films in the top ten list with 8.08 million moviegoers during the same period, followed by "Alice in Wonderland" (No. 5, 2.05 mil.), "Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief" (No. 6, 1.84 mil.), "Sherlock Holmes" (No. 6, 1.05 mil.) and "Shutter Island" (No. 10, 0.79 mil.).

Reporter : Ko Kyoung-seok kave@asiae.co.kr Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10.asiae.co.kr

Archived