Kim Yun Jin 김윤진

Guest huangsy

April 1, 2017

Actress Kim Yun-jin Thrilled with Part in New Film

Source: The Chosun Ilbo

2017040100361_0.jpg

Actress Kim Yun-jin is returning to the big screen after a three-year absence in the mystery-thriller "House of the Disappeared," which is scheduled for release on April 5.

Kim plays the role of a housewife who has spent 25 years in prison after being accused of killing her husband at their home while her son went missing and returned home.

"I had no second thoughts at all. I was all for it. I had never had such a script in my 20-year career. It was so captivating," Kim told the Chosun Ilbo on Thursday. "I watched the final edited version for the first time yesterday. First of all the running time is not too long to bore viewers, and it keeps them drawn in until the end." 

"I'm not very fond of violent slasher movies. I love films that constantly stimulate your imagination. They give me great pleasure," Kim added. "And this is the very kind of movie."

Kim has been spending more of her time for the past 13 years in Hollywood than in Korea, but she has only appeared in two TV series there -- "Lost" and "Mistresses." Although they were successful and she made her name known, she said she has felt anxious wanting to do more projects.

"It is only natural that I feel anxious, because 13 years isn't short. I just will be happy if I can serve as encouragement for actors who wish to venture into Hollywood. They can certainly do it, if I can."

Kim said she is very interested in doing a TV series as well in Korea.

"I'd love to if I get a chance, but I don't want to be working under intense time pressure," she said. "The most important thing to me is the quality of work into which I can put sufficient time and energy."  

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

April 5, 2017

‘House of Disappeared’ invited to Far East Film Fest

Spoiler

Ok Taec-yeon stars in “House of the Disappeared.” (Peppermint & Company)

Mystery-thriller flick “House of the Disappeared,” starring actress Kim Yun-jin and singer-actor Ok Taec-yeon, has been invited to the main competition category of the Far East Film Festival, the film’s distributor Peppermint & Company announced Wednesday.

“(The film) is a deep, striking psychological thriller-horror film,” said the festival’s executive director Sabrina Baracetti. “The film flows smoothly, but it is also straightforward. ... Kim Yun-jin’s performance of going back and forth between the younger and older Mi-hee (the main character) stands out.” 

The film tells the story of a wife who loses her children and husband and is imprisoned for 25 years.

Kim Yoon-jin stars in “House of the Disappeared.” (Peppermint & Company)

The annual film fest in Udine, Italy is dedicated to popular Asian cinema. It takes place April 21-29 this year.

Korean films that were previously screened there include Choi Dong-hoon’s “Assassination,” Woo Min-ho’s “Inside Men” and Jang Jae-hyun’s “The Priests.” 

By Rumy Doo (doo@heraldcorp.com)

• 2 months later...

July 4, 2017

Actress Kim Yun-jin

Actress Kim Yun-jin

South Korean actress poses for the camera during the Korean Movie Stars Award ceremony at a Seoul hotel on July 4, 2017. (Yonhap) (END)

• 3 weeks later...

July 21, 2017

Kim Yun-jin to star in US play penned by Korean playwright

Kim Yun-jin (Scon)

Kim Yun-jin will foray onto the stage in the US with the play “Wild Goose Dreams.” 

“There is not only the one-dimensional everyday of Korean society but a deep reflection on everyday people and their love stories,” said Kim about the upcoming play.

“There’s a theme that the American audience can relate to as well. That’s what I like about it. I chose it right away,” she said.

The play is set in Seoul and centers on Yoo Nan-hee, a woman who has defected from North Korea. Through an online dating service, Yoo meets and falls in love with a South Korean man whose family has abandoned him. 

“Wild Goose Dreams” was written by Korean playwright Jung Han-sol, who received a Master of Fine Arts in playwriting from Yale University and is active both in the US and in Korea.

Jung’s previous US works include “Cardboard Piano,” “Among the Dead” and “No Mores Sad Things.” 

The play will hold a preview on Sept. 5 at San Diego, California’s LaJolla Playhouse Theater. It will open on Sept. 10 and run until Oct. 1. 

The actress, who made her film debut 20 years ago in Korea, has been active in the US in recent years, starring in TV series such as “Lost,” which ran from 2004 to 2010, and “Mistresses,” from 2013 to 2016. 

Kim starred in Korean horror thriller “House of the Disappeared” earlier this year. 

By Rumy Doo (doo@heraldcorp.com

• 2 weeks later...

August 1, 2017

Actress KIM Yun-jin Stands on American Stage
KIM Stars as North Korean Defector in Musical Play WILD GOOSE DREAMS

by KIM Su-bin / KoBiz

oGZiKGfJezYWZhIMclJl.png

Actress KIM Yun-jin will take to the stage in the United States when she stars in Wild Goose Dreams which will run at the La Jolla Playhouse in San Diego, California from September 10th to October 1st, 2017. KIM used to perform on stage before she began acting in Korea, but it has taken 20 years for her to return to the stage again. 

Wild Goose Dreams is a musical play set in Seoul. KIM will play YOO Nan-hee, a North Korean defector who falls in love with a South Korean man she meets online while his family is abroad. Opposite of KIM will be Korean American actor James Kyson Lee performing the role of GOOK Min-sung. 

Wild Goose Dreams will be directed by Leigh Silverman, who has directed more than 30 Broadway plays including Jeanine Tesori, Violet and Chinglish. Silverman has received two Obie Awards (Off-Broadway Theater Awards) and was nominated for a Tony award in 2014. The play was written by Korean playwright JUNG Han-sol, who has translated and directed both in the U.S. and in Korea. “It’s been a long time since I’ve performed on stage, I have butterflies in my stomach from the burden of the premiere, and I’m frightened, but I look at this opportunity that I have been given as another challenge for me in my life as an actress” KIM Yun-jin said through her agency, ZYON Entertainment.

• 1 month later...

Photo List: Dynamic Acting Studio, Seoul  @d.a.studio_korea

Talented, admirable and respectable Korean actors

#HwangJungMin #JeonDoYeon # ChoJinWoong # ChunWooHee
#NaMoonHee #YooHaeJin #HanSukKyu # KimHyeSoo 
#SongKangHo #SulKyungGu# MoonSoRi #KwakDoWon 
#OhDalSu #BaeDooNa #JoSeungWoo #KimHyeJa  
#LeeSunGyun #GongHyoJin # KimYoonSeok #JangJinYoung 
#LeeByungHun #KimYunJin #GoHyunJung #ParkHaeIl

21910783_269084530264648_331051539395248

• 8 months later...

June 12, 2018

Kim Yoon Jin To Take On Leading Role In Her 1st Korean Drama In 19 Years

Source: Soompi by J. Lim 

Kim-Yoon-Jin.jpg

Actress Kim Yoon Jin is set to return to the small screen in a new drama!

A source from SBS confirmed on June 12 that, “Kim Yoon Jin will appear in the leading role in our upcoming drama “Ms. Ma, Goddess of Revenge” (tentative title). They continued to add, “The drama will air after ‘To Speak of Her’ (tentative title), the follow-up to ‘Secret Mother.'”

This will be the actress’s first Korean drama appearance in approximately 19 years since 1999’s “Love of Three Colors” Since then, she has mostly focused on her film career, appearing in productions such as “Ode to My Father,” “Harmony,” and “Neighbor.” She has also appeared in American drama series such as “Lost” and “Mistresses.”

“Ms. Ma, Goddess of Revenge” will be the story of a woman who is falsely accused of killing her daughter as she embarks on a journey to prove her innocence. It will be a remake based on the popular Miss Marple series by British author Agatha Christie.

Source (1)

• 1 month later...

August 13, 2018

Korean Stars Take on Hollywood
4 Successful Transitions, 4 Incoming Hopefuls

by Pierce Conran KoBiz

As Korea’s film industry has seen its global recognition steadily increase over the past two decades, we’ve seen directors go overseas, a slew of foreign versions of Korean stories, and, increasingly, Korean performers breaking out overseas. Many have gotten the call from Hollywood, and while not all have had the impact they may have hoped for, several Korean names have managed to establish themselves in Tinseltown. Below, KoBiz lists the biggest Korean acting exports to Los Angeles, as well as some recent and future hopefuls.

LEE Byung-hun

Undoubtedly, the most successful Korean actor to break into Hollywood has been superstar LEE Byung-hun. After leading such Korean classics as PARK Chan-wook’s Joint Security Area /JSA (2000) and KIM Jee-woon’s A Bittersweet Life (2005), LEE made his Hollywood debut in 2009, when he appeared as Storm Shadow in the action tentpole G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra. 

Four years later he reprised the role for the sequel G.I. Joe: Retaliation, the same year that he played a hitman in the star-driven action-thriller RED 2. He then took on the role of the antagonist in Terminator Genisys in 2015 and a year after that appeared in both the thriller Misconduct and Antoine Fuqua’s western remake The Magnificent Seven.

BAE Doo-na

Not far behind LEE is Korean star BAE Doo-na, who rose to fame through roles in PARK Chan-wook’s Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002) and BONG Joon-ho’s The Host (2006). BAE kicked off her international acting career in the Japanese youth drama Linda Linda Linda (2005), followed by KOREEDA Kirokazu’s Air Doll in 2009.

The call from Hollywood came in 2012, when she played the clone Sonmi-451, in addition to several other parts, in the Wachowskis’ adaptation of David Mitchell’s sprawling sci-fi opus Cloud Atlas. She continued working with the Wachowskis, first in their space opera Jupiter Ascending and then their high-concept sci-fi action series Sense8. She featured as one of the main characters of the hit Netflix show, playing fan favorite Sun, which recently capped off its run with a 2-hour finale special that followed its two seasons.

JUNG Ji-hoon

Globally famous pop star JUNG Ji-hoon (aka Rain) made his film debut in PARK Chan-wook’s I'm a Cyborg, but That's OK (2006), which he quickly followed up when he took on his first American role in the Wachoswki’s action tentpole Speed Racer in 2008 in which he played Racer Taejo Togokahn. 

He next took on the lead role in the 2009 martial arts neo-noir Ninja Assassin, which was produced by Joel Silver and the Wachowskis, who cast him after being impressed with his work on the previous year’s Speed Racer. Most recently, JUNG Ji-hoon appeared in the gangster thriller The Prince with Bruce Willis and John Cusack in 2014.

KIM Yun-jin

QZmHxOrQBolNFqPuCfGt.jpg

The most enduring Korean name in the Hollywood sphere has surely been KIM Yun-jin, who, after becoming one of the most celebrated actresses of her generation in Korea, featuring in films such as Swiri (1999), landed a role as one of the main cast members in the smash hit ABC TV series Lost which aired for six seasons from 2004 until 2010. KIM played the popular character Sun-hwa on the show.

KIM returned to the ABC fold when she featured as one of the leads of the affair drama Mistresses, a remake of the British series of the same name, which ran for four seasons from 2013 to 2016.

GANG Dong-won

One of Korea’s most recognizable faces, star of hits such as The Priests (2015), A Violent Prosecutor (2016), Master (2016) and the recent KIM Jee-woon sci-fi action noir ILLANG : THE WOLF BRIGADE, GANG Dong-won is set to make his long-awaited Hollywood debut in the upcoming disaster action drama Tsunami LA.

GANG joined the production of the film, from Con Air director Simon West, in April of this year. The disaster film has already secured a Korean distributor, as J&C Media Group has announced they will release the film in Korea in 2019, at the same time as it hits theaters in the United States.

Claudia KIM

When the Marvel franchise moved to Korea to shoot scenes for The Avengers: Age of Ultron, a call went out for a supporting part to be played by a local actress. Following auditions, it was Korean TV actress Claudia KIM (aka KIM Soo-hyun) who was the lucky young performer to secure the role.

KIM followed that up with a part on the big-budget Netflix series Marco Polo, in which she appeared both before the release of the Marvel blockbuster in 2014, and then after, for its second season in 2016. She then appeared alongside Matthew McConaughey in the Stephen King fantasy action adaptation The Dark Tower in 2017. KIM will next be seen in a supporting role in the fantasy sequel Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald.

LEE Joon-gi

Busan native LEE Joon-gi, a popular model, actor, and singer, started his acting career on the small screen before becoming a hitmaker on the silver screen with titles such as LEE Joon-ik’s King And The Clown (2005) and the Gwangju drama May 18 (2007).

LEE made the move to Hollywood last year when he received a co-starring role in the hit horror-action franchise Resident Evil. He appeared alongside Milla Jovovich in the sixth and final installment of the series titled Resident Evil: The Final Chapter in 2017.

CL

K-pop sensation CL, a member of the hit band 2NE1 and one of the visible Korean performers in the Los Angeles music scene, will soon add a new string to her bow, that of Hollywood star, when the action-thriller Mile 22 comes out later this year. 

Aside from a small role in the 2009 romantic comedy Girlfriends, CL (aka LEE Chae-rin) doesn’t really have any screen credits to her name, which makes Mile 22 not only her Hollywood debut but her first serious acting role.

From director Peter Berg, Mile 22 features Mark Wahlberg as a CIA covert agent who must retrieve a man with valuable information, played by Indonesian action star Iko Uwais, and transport him through 22 miles of hostile territory.

• 1 month later...

September 18, 2018

Kim Yoon Jin Talks About Starring In Her First Korean Drama In 19 Years

Source: Soompi  by esspee

Kim Yoon Jin Talks About Starring In Her First Korean Drama In 19 Years

Kim Yoon Jin spoke about the upcoming SBS drama “Miss Ma, Goddess of Revenge” (literal title).

She began, “Since it’s my first time filming [a Korean] TV drama in 19 years, it’s ‘way to go, South Korea.’ I didn’t imagine that we’d be shooting 20 scenes a day and they do it quickly too. So whenever I go on set and look at the schedule, I think, ‘We can’t shoot all this. How can we?’ but we do shoot them. While filming American dramas for a little over 10 years, we would shoot a maximum of nine scenes and if they were short, maybe two more. So I think that the cast and crew are amazing for shooting 20 scenes.”

The actress continued, “I’m a fan of Agatha Christie and the script is based on Agatha Christie’s ‘Miss Marple.’ I received writer Park Jin Woo’s script up until the fourth episode and read through them in a heartbeat. ‘Miss Marple’ became ‘Miss Ma’ because it’s being made into a Korean drama. I thought it was a good idea.”

She added, “‘Miss Marple’ doesn’t tell a personal story. In some way, she’s the original ‘girl-crush’ character whose insight and grasp of human psychology are amazing. But they put in the personal story of ‘Miss Ma’ and Korean-ized it in a way that viewers can relate to it. I was amazed while reading writer Park Jin Woo’s writing and the script was so good. We’re still completing filming for episode four, but the scripts are completed until episode 10. I’m sincerely thankful. I was fascinated by writer Park Jin Woo’s amazing reconstruction.”

Kim Yoon Jin concluded, “For a little over 10 years, I was active in American dramas and Korean films. I was really sad that I didn’t have a major TV drama even though I was a Korean actress. I’m filming with the hope that the filming will go well and the drama will receive good reactions so that ‘Miss Ma’ will become Kim Yoon Jin’s major TV drama.”

“Miss Ma” tells the story of a woman who gets falsely accused of killing her daughter. She uses her acute reasoning skills to uncover the truth and make the criminals surrender. It’s Korea’s first ever drama based on Agatha Christie’s “Miss Marple.”

“Miss Ma” will air as the follow-up drama to “Let Me Introduce Her.”

Source (1)

September 18, 2018

Yunjin Kim hopes 'Ms. Ma, Goddess of Revenge' becomes her best Korean TV series

By Woo Jae-yeon

SEOUL, Sept. 17 (Yonhap) -- Korean-born American actress Yunjin Kim has returned to the small screen in her motherland, breaking a 19-year absence.

As if to make up for the long hiatus -- although she has been appearing in Korean films -- she's chosen a role that, she hopes, will leave a lasting impression on Korean television viewers.

The upcoming SBS series, "Ms. Ma, Goddess of Revenge," is loosely based on Miss Marple, a fictional amateur detective in Agatha Christie's novels. With shrewd intelligence and a remarkable ability to latch onto seemingly trivial things to solve a mystery, the character is one of the most beloved characters of the British crime writer.

In a meeting with local reporters at the SBS headquarters in western Seoul, the actress, best known for her role in the popular American series "Lost," said she was deeply impressed how well the character has been localized and the story reconstructed.

Actress Yunjin Kim speaks during a meeting with Korean reporters at the SBS headquarters in western Seoul on Sept. 17, 2018. (Yonhap)

Actress Yunjin Kim speaks during a meeting with Korean reporters at the SBS headquarters in western Seoul on Sept. 17, 2018. (Yonhap)

In the drama, Kim plays a mother who loses her mind after being falsely accused of killing her daughter and put in a mental hospital for nine years. One day, she comes to her senses, escapes the hospital and sets out to clear her name and find the truth about her daughter's death.

She said not starring in a Korean TV show for almost 20 years wasn't intentional and that she wasn't able to do so due to her busy schedule in the United States, although there had been offers throughout the period.

"As a Korean actor, I felt sorry that there was no Korean TV show that people could instantly associate me with. So I've chosen this drama, hoping that this would become my representative TV work," she said.

Scenes from the upcoming SBS series, "Ms. Ma, Goddess of Revenge," in this image provided by the network. (Yonhap)

Scenes from the upcoming SBS series, "Ms. Ma, Goddess of Revenge," in this image provided by the network. (Yonhap)

Working on a Korean drama set, she said, is very different from working in the U.S., where the daily workload is less onerous, longer break time is guaranteed and the shooting schedule is lighter.

"I normally worked four days a week in the States, but since the filming (for this drama) started, I've not been able to find time to do laundry," she said, laughing. She continued, "I never imagined shooting 20 scenes a day, but everything runs very quickly. I was very concerned when I first saw my filming schedule, but things happened smoothly according to the timetable and I found it truly amazing," she said.

Through the show, she hopes the viewers get to see how a selfish and self-centered woman slowly changes into a softer and warmer person by interacting with people around her.

"The line, 'Human beings are by nature selfish and nasty,' frequently appears in the show. Miss Ma grows into a better person while meeting with many people to solve her own problem," she said. "The message the drama tries to deliver to the viewers is that (that line) is not necessarily true."

The 16-part drama is scheduled to premiere on Oct. 6 at 9:05 p.m. on SBS.

jaeyeon.woo@yna.co.kr

September 19, 2018

Kim Yun-jin's return to local TV: After roles on American dramas like ‘Lost,’ the actor is ready to play Ms. Ma

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

18194653.jpg
Actor Kim Yun-jin stars in the upcoming SBS drama “Ms. Ma: The Goddess of Revenge.” This is her first starring role in a Korean drama in 19 years. [SBS]

British novelist Agatha Christie’s “Miss Marple” mystery series has made its way to Korean television with its own unique twist. Unlike the original novel series, the main character of “Ms. Ma: The Goddess of Revenge” has a tragic backstory. Actor Kim Yun-jin will play Ms. Ma, a complicated character who escapes from prison to uncover secrets that have been taunting her for the past nine years. 

Kim credits Ms. Ma’s tragic past as a reason for the character’s shrewd intelligence, pessimistic outlook on life and keen ability to read others. These same characteristics are what helps Ms. Ma solve cases that will be introduced with each episode. 

“The addition of Ms. Ma’s back story was quite intriguing at first,” said Kim in a roundtable interview that took place at the SBS broadcasting offices in Mok-dong, western Seoul. “After reading the scripts of the first four episodes, I could feel myself being sucked into the story. The script is so well done with high quality [plot points] that I naturally feel drawn to it.”

In the drama, Ms. Ma is depicted as a middle-aged woman who was born and raised in a wealthy environment. She later marries and gives birth to a daughter. Her world turns upside down the day her daughter goes missing, leaving Ms. Ma as the main suspect of her daughter’s disappearance. 

“The main difference has to be that the novel revolved around crime while the drama is going to revolve around Ms. Ma’s situation,” said Kim. “The fact that Ms. Ma’s character has a backstory will help the audience empathize with the character.” 

The show marks Kim’s return to domestic television after a 19-year hiatus. Her most recent drama appearance was in the 1999 KBS2 series “Yoojung.” 

“I was offered roles in dramas over the past 19 years, however it was always difficult to try and rearrange my schedule to accommodate the filming schedule. I always seemed to be in America. The short period of time I was in Korea wasn’t enough time to participate in a drama series,” Kim admitted. 

Kim is one of the few active Asian actors working in Hollywood. She made her Hollywood debut in the television series “Lost,” which aired from 2006 to 2009. She was then cast as the main character in “Mistresses” a drama series that aired from 2013 to 2016. 

“I do have to admit that I was surprised at how different the Korean shooting environment is in comparison to in America,” Kim disclosed. “Back in America, we did only nine scenes per day, but in Korea I’ve done an average of 20. It’s amazing how the staff and production crew all comes together to make the impossible possible.”

Kim will be starring alongside famous actors like Jung Woong-in and Ko Sung-hee in the upcoming drama, which has already finished filming four out of a scheduled 16 episodes. 

“Ms. Ma: The Goddess of Revenge” will premiere on Oct. 6.

BY JEONG JU-WON [jeong.juwon@joongang.co.kr]

• 1 month later...

October 31, 2018

Korean actresses struggle to repeat Hollywood success at home

By Im Eun-byel The Korea Herald

Korean actresses struggle to repeat Hollywood success at home       

After meeting global audiences via Hollywood productions, actresses Bae Doo-na and Kim Yun-jin have returned to their home turf, taking lead roles in local TV series. 

Bae stars in KBS2’s “The Best Divorce,” a Korean remake of a popular Japanese drama, in the role of a warmhearted wife who divorces her cranky husband. Continuing to live with each other after the divorce for practical reasons, the two come to understand what true love is. 

20181031000945_0.jpg

Bae Doo-na speaks at a press event held to promote MBC TV series “The Best Divorce” in October in western Seoul. (KBS)

The actress has returned home after trotting around the world, shooting the third season of Netflix series “Sense8,” created by Lana and Lilly Wachowski. Her relationship with the famed directors started in 2010, when she took part in Hollywood film “Cloud Atlas.” 

According to Bae, who has appeared in numerous local and foreign productions since, the scenes of the US and Korea are greatly different.

“The power of US productions comes from the huge production budget and human resources while Korea has this great energy that comes from the people. We work hard together and become almost like a family,” Bae said at a press conference held last month to promote “The Best Divorce.”

Prior to the romantic-comedy series, the actress last year starred in tvN’s “Stranger,” which was well received, reaching an average viewership rating between 4 and 5 percent -- considered high for a cable channel. 

This time, the romance genre may have been too much of a challenge even for the international star. The Monday-Tuesday drama that started Oct. 8 has been putting up a hard fight, but is marking an average viewership rating of 2.7 percent. The 32-part drama is at its halfway point. 

Though the storyline is sweet and heartwarming, it is obvious and didactic, with the characters coming to appreciate the value of the people around them. 

Kim Yun-jin has returned to her home turf as well, taking the lead role in SBS series “Ms. Ma, Goddess of Revenge.” The story is loosely based on the fictional character of Miss Marple from Agatha Christie’s crime novels and short stories. 

20181031000778_0.jpg
Kim Yun-jin speaks during a press event held to promote SBS series “Ms. Ma,

Goddess of Revenge” in September in western Seoul. (SBS)

Kim generated buzz in 2004 by starring in American TV sensation “Lost.” The drama finished with its sixth season in 2010 and Kim was able to secure a spot in the US entertainment scene by starring in another US hit series, “Mistresses.” 

In the SBS mystery-thriller series, which premiered Oct. 6, Kim plays a mother seeking revenge for her daughter’s death. After being locked up in a mental institution for killing her daughter, she digs into the mystery to clear her name. 

The Saturday-Sunday drama, also at its halfway point, has marked an average viewership rating of 6.9 percent, trailing behind MBC’s “Hide and Seek,” which has been raking in an average viewership share of 12 percent. 

Though Kim has taken part in local films while pursuing her career in the US, the SBS series is her first return to the local TV scene in 19 years. At a press event held for promotions of the show, she said it was hard to find time to star in local TV productions as Korean production schedules are much tighter. 

“I normally worked four days a week in the US, but since shooting (this series), I have not been able to find the time to do laundry,” she said. 

“I have never imagined shooting 20 scenes a day, but everything goes so quickly. I was very worried when I first saw the shooting schedule, but things happened smoothly according to the timetable and I found it truly amazing.” 

By Im Eun-byel (silverstar@heraldcorp.com)

• 5 months later...

April 29, 2019

More Korean actors to appear in Hollywood films, dramas

By Park Jin-hai The Korea Times

Recently actor Ma Dong-seok, star of "Train to Busan" (2016), is rumored to be in talks to join Marvel's new film "The Eternals." Actress Jeon Jong-seo, who took the lead role in her debut film "Burning," is also in discussion to star in the upcoming Hollywood movie "Blood Moon," a fantasy film directed by Ana Lily Amirpour.

Before them, actors like Kim Yun-jin, known for her role in American television series "Lost," and Lee Byung-hun who has appeared in the "G.I. Joe" series, successfully expanded their acting careers beyond Korean territory.

More actors will follow their footsteps this year. A band of actors and actresses including Gang Dong-won, Han Hyo-joo and Cha In-pyo will appear in Hollywood films and dramas.

Gang will make his Hollywood debut, appearing in disaster blockbuster film "Tsunami LA," playing a Korean-American surfer who confronts a natural disaster. The film was initially slated to begin shooting in April last year and be released in North America this year, but the filming schedule has been postponed. The film started shooting in September last year and the release date has yet to be decided. 

Han will also debut in U.S. with upcoming drama series "Treadstone." In the drama, a spinoff of the popular "Bourne" film series, the Korean actress will play a CIA agent who lives in North Korea undercover. Currently, Han is shooting the drama and it will be broadcast through American cable channel USA Network within this year. 

Veteran actor and TV celebrity Cha In-pyo, who appeared in Netflix drama "Sense8," has participated in another film ""Heavenquest: A Pilgrim's Progress." 

The actor previously rejected a villainous North Korean role in the James Bond series' 2002 film "Die Another Day" citing its controversial depiction of the South-North Korea confrontation. In his upcoming Hollywood film, based on John Bunyan's 1678 novel "The Pilgrim's Progress," Cha will take the role of a guardian who protects the main character Vangel on his pilgrimage. He is also participating in the film as a producer. 

Henry, former member of boy band Super Junior-M, is a Hong Kong Canadian who has been mainly active both in Korea and China, is also appearing in the American comedy film "A Dog's Journey." In the film, directed by Gail Mancuso, Henry will takes the role of lead character C.J's boyfriend. The film will be released on May 17 in North America. 

Lee Tae-ri, the 25-year-old rookie actor who earned some recognition in the 1998-2000 sitcom "Soonpoong Clinic," will make a special appearance as an Asian prince named Prince Lee in the upcoming Hollywood fantasy film "Anastasia." The film has finished filming and is waiting for its North American release. 

jinhai@koreatimes.co.kr 

• 4 months later...

September 13, 2019

From 'Bharat' To 'Ek Villain': Bollywood Movies That Took Inspiration From South Korean Films

Source:  India Times

04/9 'Jazbaa'

Sanjay Gupta’s ‘Jazbaa’ marked actress Aishwarya Rai Bachchan’s comeback movie after her hiatus following her pregnancy. The film is said to be inspired by the Korean film, ‘Seven Days’. the film is the journey of a female lawyer, who has to now win an unwinnable case to save her kidnapped daughter.

The original movie starred Yunjin Kim, Park Hee-soon and Kim Mi-sook. It was directed by Won Shin-Yun.

Archived