Guest Seoulite5

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

200611815231866138.jpg

Lan Yu 蓝宇

This is a film directed by Stanley Kwan and stars Liu Ye and Hu Jun. It tells the story between a businessman (Hu Jun) and his relationship with his younger lover (Liu Ye), whom he pays for sex. It's is based on a popular cyber story called Beijing story. I've not had the opportunity to watch it, but apparently it's very good. Here's the review from Love HK Film.

I've also seen Brokeback Mountain, but it was nothing very moving.

Guest LizzieBee

kyeling this is where you are wrong. Homosexuality is not nurture, but rather they are born that way. From what I remember it is cause by an imbalance of prenatal hormones. In my psychology class, we talk about the origin of homosexuality and being gay is not influence by bad experience or child abuse. I dont know where you get the idea that a person can be gay because of past history. You should look it up and read about it.

I know that in some community, gay are not accepted, but when you say "normal" community. Who are you referring? And what do gay people do that makes you uncomfortable? And why do you they the way they look is weird to you? To me its a sign of homophobia. To me its kind of like saying "I don’t hate this kind of race as individuals, but I hate them because of the way they look" See what I mean? I just want to know more about your answers.

I know you are entitle to your own opinion, but I suggest you should understand more about. You should go seek counseling to help you with that issue. And by no means am I attacking you because I want people to understand that homosexuality is a choice and that people should accept them the way they are.

When I first read your comment, I actually cried because my friend is gay and he has to suffer being criticized for it.

Oh yeah feel free to email me about it. I try to answer your questions as best as i could kyeling.

Guest emceej

i've seen a lot of filipino gay movies.

there's nothing really wrong with it.

in fact, i praise the actors for doing such a tough role.

i'll check some of these out (:

Guest marasshi

Maximo Oliveros was great. I really enjoyed the boy's acting, and his close relationship with his family was really heartwarming as well. (By the way, Nathan Lopez has a twin, and my friends have met him. He's in another movie by the same director, but that's off-topic. Haha.)

Brokeback Mountain isn't Asian, but I think it's one of the best movies ever made, and Heath Ledger's acting was truly amazing. He made Ennis del Mar his own, and for that I commend him. I read the short story multiple times, and I still can't get over how Heath Ledger understood Ennis's character so well and so deeply.

I think I'm going to check out some of these films soon.

Guest inblue

For the ones who like Brokeback Mountain and The King and I, I definitely recommend these two Chinese movies: Happy Together and Farewell My Concubine. They both have superb acting cast and sophisticated plot. The King and I is often compared to Farewell My Concubine, but IMO the latter is far more well-acted and emotion/thought provoking.

Happy Together.

happy_together_poster.jpg

Farewell My Concubine.

Farewell1.jpg

FarewellMyConcubine.jpg

LanYu/Beijing Story is a great movie too.

Seoulite5 ~ what about this movie-- it starts out a little differently, and I'm not sure it would be considered a gay movie. I don't want to give anything away in case someone wants to see it, but I'll put up the link to imbd.

Beonjijeompeureul hada

(aka Bungee Jumping of Their Own)

the director of Boy Meets Boy, Kim Jo Kwang Su, is also gay.

this is really the only thing I could find about the movie so far--the original article seems to be in Korean.

http://www.dramabeans.com/?p=2551&cp=1

edit: there's also The Crimson Mark--it's Korean, and a short. The whole thing is uploaded at youtube.

part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz1KYalfeRY

part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F67A47V_k6E...feature=related

part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWiURw6S-Z0...feature=related

Guest LazyAzian

Kyaa! These movies, I watched some of them, and it makes me feel a bit more hopeful in finding the perfect guy ^^~~

Guest Malice_Kaiser

Wow, thank you for all the info, I've only seen a few of these. Definitely will have to check out more... Thanks!

Guest miss sweetie

Did anyone mention Ang Lee's The Wedding Banquet?

It's about this Taiwanese man who gets a fake marriage to this girl to hide the fact that he's gay with a Western man from his parents.

^ I forgot about that one. I think it's because I haven't seen Winston Chao in a long time. I've seen it a few times. Everyone was good in it, too.

think the concept of the main characters feelings were somewhat muted under the facade of a reincarnated past female lover.. Sort of a gay-but-not-really-gay movie.. Do you get what I'm trying to say? I don't think I'm explaining it very well ^^;;

you explained it fine--that's why I wasn't sure it could really be called a 'gay' movie--just for those reasons...and the questions the plot raises.

The girl in No Regret is Kim Junghwa. ^^

Has anyone ever seen Hatsu-Koi (First Love)? I found it by accident when I was looking for something else. Murakami Hiroshi.

http://www.fridae.com/newsfeatures/article...p;viewarticle=1

Guest da_thao

after AP testing next week,i'll watch them all,thanks for the links!!!^^^.they're all romance to me but it kind of more complex.i hope through this,Asian countries can be more open toward this.

Guest amydien

Boys Love was great....I enjoyed watching it. :)

Im not bothered by these kinds of films. I think they can be artistic, it depends on your perspective and willingness to be open-minded.

Guest iron cupcake

I noticed that there are quite a few gay movies, but you don't see as many lesbian movies in asia eh?

Funny enough, the first film I thought of when I saw this thread was Memento Mori. On the surface it's a ghost horror flick, but it was the lesbian relationship that brought up controversy back when it was released, and cuts were forced for the theatrical release, including a scene with the two lead girls sharing a bathtub together. If released now it wouldn't be a big deal, but I guess for its time it was groundbreaking as far as lesbian themes in Korean cinema.

Archived