Guest Seoulite5

Guest CM_X_69

Love of Siam is a good movie!! Some of the acting was kind of eh but I liked it. It was cute. :)

I'm excited to watch Boy meets Boy and Frozen Flower though! :D

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest happyasrain

Hey Seoulite :)

I'm really glad you brought up this thread. Looking at the movies you & others mentioned here, I'm actually surprised again by the amount of films that deal with homosexuality in the film industry, especially in the Taiwan/Hong Kong film industry, just because I can't fathom homosexuality as being "acceptable" in Eastern Asia, except maybe in Japan to an extent, and then it's mostly targeted at "BL fangirls." I see, however, that films dealing with homosexuality that do get more exposure (awards, critical response) are films that mainly deal with homosexuality in a very real or dramatic, "serious" way. I'm thinking of Happy Together, Farewell my Concubine, The King's Man, (Brokeback Mountain). Not in a chick flick, melodramatic, way of like, say, the Takumi-kun Series. I guess I'm glad, because then the other route would be the comic route which makes it very easy to stereotype gays (though Wedding Banquet didn't. Even my PARENTS watched it & liked it, though half of the reason was because it was directed by Ang Lee & didn't show too much "homosexuality")

I guess the reason why homosexuality is being more accepted in a way, through these films, is from the BL fangirl culture. I really think that attributes & contributes to the popularity of homosexuality & things like fanservice. Even in Korea, where there's slowly more & more BL manhwa (that's also becoming more & more explicit) like The Summit, Martin & John, etc. Even though the BL fangirl craze LOL doesn't deal with homosexuality in all its aspects & might also be rather focused seeing on famous pretty guys (or one pretty guy & a "manly" guy) together & depicting them in a flowery, unrealistic way, I think it's a start. It definitely is. :)

I suggest watching 17sui de tian kong hahah I'm so bad at pinyin. Uhh 17歲的天空? I think it's called... Formula 17? I'm kinda surprised no one mentioned it, seeing as it was kinda popular (I think) in Taiwan. But definitely yeah, the serious ones (Happy Together & Farewell My Concubine, both of which star the amazing actor Leslie Cheung) are definitely the type I like.

And I can't believe Kim Hyesung (that's the boy with the realllyyy boyish face right?) is going to be in Boy Meets Boy! :o I wonder if they're going to deal with homosexuality seriously though, instead of coping out like in Coffee Prince. And the movie with Jo In Sung! :o Dannng big names doing movies that hint of homosexuality! :o I'm really excited to watch these now!

Guest tamara

LOL i already watched half of the titles you listed up there.. xD

( Ai no Kotodama , Boys Love, The King and the Clown, Gohatto, Bishonen, No Regrets )

but i have to say that love Ai no Kotodama more.. both the manga and the live version.... mainly because of the happy ending ♥

and have you watched boys love 2? i heard its good too.. ^^

hmm i want to add in the list: Itsuka no Kimi e

Following in the footsteps of Boys Love and Sukitomo, Saito Takumi of Prince of Tennis Musical fame returns with another film about the ambiguities of friendship, brotherhood, and love. While his previous two films co-starred Kotani Yoshikazu and Aiba Hiroki, this time Saito Takumi, moving down the list of Prince of Tennis Musical graduates, teams up with Ryunosuke Kawai for Itsuka no Kimi. Fans can look forward to double the Takumi as he stars as twin brothers Noboru and Ryu. Older brother Noboru is a quiet and introverted photography student, while younger brother Ryu is energetic and outgoing. Noboru attracts the curiosity of classmate Kouhei (Ryunosuke Kawai), whose friendship with the brothers brings changes into their lives and relationships.

credits: yesasia

i already watched it.. not as good as Ai no Kotodama ( well my opinion only ^^ ).. but its entertaining to watch...

Guest smile-jw

I'm so glad Asia is opening up more towards homosexuality~

I cannot wait for the movie Boy Meets Boy! I so want to watch it. Kim Hyesung is GORGEOUS by the way.

Guest shingoon

out of the above films, i love Wang ee Nam Ja the most. It was so subtle but really moving. I watched it like three times but Lee Jun Ki and Gam Woo Sung never failed to amaze me.

Besides, I recommend No Regrets. That movie is so good that made you wanna cry. And the OSTs are gorgeous. Other than that, I watched Boys Love 'coz of Takumi Saitou, however it was not that good. BTW, Takumi had another shounen ai movie Sukitomo with Aiba Hiroki (gosh that guy is such a bishie). I also enjoyed Formula 17, Go!Go! G-boys, and Farewell My Concubine. In Farewell my Concubine, Leslie Cheung potrayed such a phenomenal character, like two thumbs up.

Guest CM_X_69

Love of Siam was sweet, I agree! A quiet, but strong movie. I won't claim it to be my favorite, but it was good. I thought the character Tong's performance was good--he has the ability to pull my heartstrings with those deep eyes of his. The mother's performance was also commendable. Her acting felt real--especially after the tragedy in their family, which causes her to fear losing her son and live in constant darkness. A weakness in the movie was the unnatural-natural way in which the main characters fell for each other. There wasn't any confusion that usually plagues normal teenagers when they come out of the closet.

Can't wait for Boys Meets Boy and Frozen Flower along with you! If they're both released next year, then I'll be in Korea! That would be so awesome, to watch it on the big screen... I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.. :9

The mother's acting was outstanding! Yeah, Mario's [Tong] eyes kept on pulling me in. His eyes are simply amazing. >< *sigh* Such a sweet movie I am going going to rewatch it again right now! :D

Oh yeah there's that one movie Formula 17! It's pretty funny. xD :) I thought it would be more of a serious type of movie but it was pretty hilarious. :)

Guest happyasrain

Oh yeah, I know Let Dai too! LOL I think it's almost been completely translated (and available for download on various LJ coms cough). It's pretty good, though rather Korean drama-ish (meaning characters backstab each other, get into love triangles, etc more than the normal amount, lol). But you should definitely try reading The Summit (not in the least because the main characters look like Yunho & Jaejoong hahahahah). :D I actually translated a couple of chapters for it (from Japanese translated ver.) and umm yeah. Very nice looking men... hahaha.

Yeahhhh no wonder Kim Hyesung looked familiar. So he was an ex-uhljjang... Wasn't he also in Jenny & Juno? Wow, I really hope Boy Meets Boy doesn't disappoint, because he's really taking such a huge risk with it (or at least, what seems like a really big risk. I'll have to see how the movie actually deals with homosexuality :P...)

Just like Coffee Prince, Hana Kimi (the manga, & the TW drama ver) was seriously a cop out too, though I really can't blame them for writing the story that way; I mean, how else would you get the big-name stars & have it sell? :/ Though I really loved Coffee Prince for the way Gong Yoo dealt with his "homosexuality" before he realizes Eun Hye is a girl ("Even if you're a man, or an alien, I no longer care.") but what pissed me off was the episode after he finds out & they reconcile & he runs around the park telling people Eun Hye's a girl. I was like, totally -____- cus didn't he just become more open-minded? It's like right after he finds out he's not really gay, he can go back to being a very hetero guy again. (But still... I really do love Coffee Prince :D)

Guest kyelin

Boys Love was great....I enjoyed watching it. :)

Im not bothered by these kinds of films. I think they can be artistic, it depends on your perspective and willingness to be open-minded.

well.... i'm not bothered by these kinds of films too

but do u ever see gay couple in real life?

i do

that kissing scene and the hugging scene between them really make me want to puke!! :wacko:

Guest cesare

Glad I found this thread. Small question. What's the difference in Boys Love and the theatrical version?

Guest nissa noona

i do

that kissing scene and the hugging scene between them really make me want to puke!! :wacko:

Kyelin you fail at life.

I've seen gay couples I live in Paris. I have gay friends. Gay or not what's the matter? Love is 2 souls liking each other. When you love someone you love them for what they are not for their gender. And don't try to smooth what you're saying with smileys

i do

Reading what you just typed makes ME want to puke.

richard simmons off.

I don't think anyone mentioned Bokura no Ai no Kanade yet. Here's the movie trailer (

). It stars Masato Uchiyama and Koki Watari. I'm really interested in watching this because of Masato Uchiyama ^^ It's not Eng subbed yet, but i think the Chinese subbed is up on tudou. It looks pretty good.

51q2bin2bjr6lss500gc4.jpg

Uchi looks so cute & short<3 haha

I really enjoyed Boys Love and Ai no Kotodama. Boys Love actually made me cry & Ai no Kotdama was cute!

I really enjoyed Boys love and waiting for boys meet boys..but can you help me with something..it's just that I really want to watch "Bungee Jumping of Their Own 번지점프를 하다" but I can't find find it..so, if it's not a bother can you please give to links to it..I really want to watch it....anyway thanks

Guest marasshi

Does anyone know where I can find DVD rips of any of these movies online (except Wangui Namja because I've seen that already)? Clubbox or MU would be fine. I tried looking for them myself but most of the movies uploaded on Clubbox are new. :x

Does anyone know where I can find DVD rips of any of these movies online (except Wangui Namja because I've seen that already)? Clubbox or MU would be fine. I tried looking for them myself but most of the movies uploaded on Clubbox are new. :x

You can find most of them on aarinfantasy.com (join the forums) or at livejournal.com/jdramas

<3

Archived