Change (j-drama Spring 2008)

Guest jade_frost

Guest HollyBeth

I am just catching up on "CHANGE"... Just been too busy.. Oh, my gosh, this show is awesome.. There is way too much drama. How I wish that Keita could kick Kanbayashi's butt.. I am so looking forward to his downfall. He's got

to go.. That man is way too creepy.. He's such a looser.. I just wish that Keita realizes what's going on soon.. He needs to get into his "Action" mode and kick some butt.. Go Keita....

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest suedbee

Rika knows trouble is brewing but she's powerless to stop it. Kanbayashi will probably move to get a vote of no confidence against the entire cabinet and kick Keita out of office. Disgraced.

I just hope that Rika lets Keita know all that she knows... It's the least that she can do.

I don't really feel that this drama has had me on the edge of my seat or something, but I'm enjoying it anyway. I think it really helped that I watched A Million Stars Fall from the Sky recently. Fukatsu Eri and Kimura Takuya have amazing chemistry, IMO.

Go Team Asakura! :ph34r:

Guest jade_frost

Change gets a mention in The Wall Street Journal on 1 July:

scan0005-1.jpg

Fukuda's Low-Key Style Frustrates Japanese

BY SEBASTIAN MOFFETT AND HIROKO TABUCHI

In the hot new Japanese TV drama "Change," Prime Minister Keita Asakura is a dynamic 35-year-old with charisma. He nixes pork-barrel construction projects in favor of more money for child care. After a deadly storm hits, Mr. Asakura rushes to the scene, barking orders to bungling bureaucrats. And he stands up to the U.S. in agriculture trade talks. "I have the responsibility to protect the Japanese people," Mr. Asakura tells enthralled voters. "I am one of you."

Meanwhile, Yasuo Fukuda -- Japan's actual prime minister -- has described himself as "a shadow." When he hosts the Group of Eight in Japan next week, he will be the oldest of the group's leaders, turning 72 this month. Since he took office in September, he has been thwarted or held up in almost everything he's tried to do -- from renewing a mission to help counter-terrorism operations in Afghanistan to appointing a central bank governor.

"I don't feel that he has any leadership whatsoever," says Tomoyuki Matsumoto, 42, who works for an insurance company in Tokyo.

Mr. Fukuda's passive tenure is increasingly frustrating the Japanese, as the world's second largest economy struggles with a falling population. To avoid this leading to declining living standards, economists say Japan needs bold measures including more deregulation to promote faster growth, as well as an overhaul of its social security system. But with a divided parliament and a leader who isn't inclined to take action, Japan could continue its drift until parliamentary elections well into next year.

Mr. Fukuda's struggle stems largely from the split parliament which he inherited. The main opposition Democratic Party, or DPJ, dominates the Upper House which has significant delaying and veto powers. But Mr. Fukuda hasn't come up with imaginative solutions to the bind, and the public mostly blames him and his low-key style: His approval ratings were just 26% in a poll published Monday in the Nikkei newspaper ... ...

That may be why Mr. Asakura's fantasy government is so popular. The weekly show, which starts with an image of dawn rising over Japan's parliament building, has attracted about 20% of TV households in the Tokyo area since it began in May. In an episode before Mr. Asakura's elevation, a young lawmaker talks excitedly of the rise of Sen. Obama, 46, and U.K. Conservative Party leader David Cameron, 41. Japan's stodgy politicians, by contrast, are steeped in backroom politics and out of touch with the nation, he says. "World leaders are getting younger and younger, but look at Japan!" he says. Some Japanese politicians are taking notice. Defense Minister Shigeru Ishiba - at 51, the youngest cabinet minister in a major post - said he was a fan of the show. "There are honestly some parts I empathize with," he told reporters last month. "Politicians need to rethink what they stand for."

Guest suedbee

^^ Wow. That's kind of amazing and cool.

Never knew the current Japanese PM had such a reputation. Unlucky him, to be in his post just as they air a young, passionate and idealistic Asakura on national TV. If the show spurs any of the old-timers to at least rethink their values and their reasons for joining politics, then it has served well beyond its purpose.

I also didn't know that Japan is the world's second largest economy. I am so apolitical... Or just plain oblivious. :sweatingbullets:

Thanks for this!

Guest jade_frost

Episode 9 Trailer

Keita expresses his wish that Kanbayashi will offer him renewed support. However, Kanbayashi announces at a press conference that he has been removed from office by Prime Minister Asakura. Keita's popularity instantly nosedives, and the Cabinet's approval ratings also drop to 12%. Keita appoints Nirasawa to stand in as his Cabinet Secretary.

As countermeasures revolving around Keita are worked out, Rika recalls the CD-ROM in Kanbayashi's hand and feels uneasy. On the contrary, Keita calmly says they'll confront it when the time comes. Rika also worries when told by Dr Tsukioka Rumiko of Keita's health problems because of his hectic life.

Keita continues with his usual official duties in spite of this. For the sake of cabbage farmers affected by a volcanic eruption, he personally goes to the location to promote the safety of the vegetables. Rika's unease mounts. Then, her worst fears come true.

A weekly magazine has published the list of politicians who got away from the special investigation department for improperly accepting donations 18 years ago. Keita's father's name is in the article, as well as that of eight cabinet ministers of the Asakura Cabinet. Kanbayashi had chosen these cabinet ministers because he had seen this coming right from the start ...

Guest margarettemeister

Oh no!!! I don't like the PM's health problem scare coming into the picture. It looks like they would have to end Asakura PM's role in order to effectively show that he made a difference in the lives of the Japanese people and in Japanese political environment. What a dramatic ending indeed. I just hope that they'll find a more satisfying and happy ending.

Guest asianami

TAKUYA-KUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HIROSHI-KUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<3 <3 <3

So totally anxious for this!

*Just going to watch this for those two* HAHA

Guest jade_frost

News on the last episode:

According to Fuji TV's programme schedule, it will be a 90 minute special, airing next Monday from 9.00 pm - 10.24 pm.

And it looks like Keita ends up warded in hospital in Ep10.

Guest shinhaku

eek! no way, well, it's a surprise that he still lasts till now w/ that kind of hectic schedule

Guest suedbee

Torrent for episode 9 (RAW) is now available in D-Addicts.

It's also streaming here.

Thanks to MakunLJC for uploading so fast! :D

Guest suedbee

^^ Yeah, totally with ya.

It might be too early to say this, without the subs, but it seems like a cop-out for an illness to be the story's major downturn. I mean, what does that have to do with his politics really? How does that justify the title "Change"? So he has to pull through, he has to one up Kanbayashi-sensei. Whether or not he stays as PM is moot. An open ending is highly probable if not inevitable. But he has to have some sort of victory. Otherwise, the entire drama will be a complete "never was", i.e. utterly irrelevant.

Guest jade_frost

I haven't watched Ep9. If Keita's illness is going to be the catalyst for his withdrawal from politics, then I'm seriously going to throw tomatoes at my screen. He hasn't even changed anything or done anything for the people. What a mockery. I share your sentiments suedbee. We can expect an open-ended finale to leave room for a drama special or even a second season if the ratings are very good although I think the latter is less likely.

If anyone needs any dialogue translated to understand the what went on in Ep9, I'll be happy to help.

Guest jade_frost

Episode 9 Synopsis

Keita expresses his wish that Kanbayashi will offer him renewed support. However, Kanbayashi announces at a press conference that he has been removed from office by Prime Minister Asakura. Keita's popularity instantly nosedives, and the Cabinet's approval ratings also drop to 12%. Keita appoints Nirasawa to stand in as his Cabinet Secretary.

As countermeasures revolving around Keita are worked out, Rika recalls the CD-ROM labelled Daido Corporation List in Kanbayashi's hand and feels uneasy. On the contrary, Keita calmly says they'll confront it when the time comes. Rika also worries when told by Dr Tsukioka Rumiko of Keita's health problems because of his hectic life.

Keita continues with his usual official duties in spite of this. For the sake of cabbage farmers affected by a volcanic eruption, he personally goes to the location to promote the safety of the vegetables. Rika's unease mounts. Then, her worst fears come true.

A weekly magazine has published the list of politicians who got away from the special investigation department for improperly accepting donations from Daido Corporation 18 years ago. Keita's father's name is in the article, as well as that of eight cabinet ministers of the Asakura Cabinet. Kanbayashi had chosen these cabinet ministers because he had seen this coming right from the start.

Keita summons the eight cabinet ministers to determine the truth. They unanimously insist upon their innocence. Rika has her misgivings but Keita says he will trust them since they were chosen by the people.

However, the magazine which published the article, issues a follow up. The person under suspicion is Onoda Asao, a key politician. Onoda has disappeared as if accepting the article's allegations, but he calls Keita. When Onoda meets Keita, he admits to him that the article's assertion is a fact. Despite being seized by a sense of frustration, Keita tells Onoda to give up his position.

Onoda's resignation deepens suspicion of the eight cabinet ministers' wrongdoings. At the Budget Committee's discussion, Kanbayashi stands and asks Keita to address the cabinet scandal. Keita begins to speak in response to Kanbayashi's request but in the middle of his speech, Keita collapses ...

Guest margarettemeister

:fury: :(

I really don't like where this is heading. No! No! No! Let it not be another "Teppei Manpyo" fate/ending. The writers should really think hard on this, lest they want poor ratings/viewership.

Guest shinhaku

the scene that I like in ep 9 a most is when Keita and Rika about to kiss and interupted by Nirasawa and Hikaru who came back. It was funny. Wonder what they were talking about, I think he said sth about the first time meeting her, something like fate

Anyone noticed from the very beginning whenever Keita needed confidence and/or strength he would look towards Rika and absorb her support/power/energy from her (even if he planed to do other than what 'she wanted' at that moment of time)

I think it's just sexy the way he stares at her and the way she dare not look away. :wub:

Guest margarettemeister

Anyone noticed from the very beginning whenever Keita needed confidence and/or strength he would look towards Rika and absorb her support/power/energy from her (even if he planed to do other than what 'she wanted' at that moment of time)

I think it's just sexy the way he stares her and the way she dare not look away. :wub:

Yes, he gets his strength from Miyama-san. If you recall that's why he decided to enter politics, it's because of her convincing power. When she told him that her loyalty was to Kanbayashi, he was so devastated but he didn't show it, even thanked her for bringing him back to the city (he even shed a tear as she was turning her back and walking away). And when she came running back in his office, he still didn't show it (although you can see the glint in his eyes). You could actually feel his tension as he gave her the hankerchief as she cried on his shoulder and tried not to let his feelings show even when he really, really wanted to hug her so tight and maybe kiss her. I like the way he handles all his pent up emotions towards her (just meaningful glances, fist pumping and making her feel that he needs her advice/opinion on important issues/matters). Deep in his heart he knows he loves her but he doesn't show it and lets her be. Let's hope he can sort his love for her just in time before this drama ends. :P

Archived