Change (j-drama Spring 2008)

Guest jade_frost

Guest jade_frost

Keita and Rika in Ep9:

At Keita's residence

CMCapture1-1.jpg

Keita (slumped against a cupboard at the entrance): Miyama-san.

Rika: Yes?

Keita: It's been coming back to me frequently.

Rika: What about?

Keita: The first time we met.

Rika: Huh?

Keita: You came to my school in Nagano and I ran in the election.

Rika: Ah ...

Keita: Well, if I didn't meet you then, I wouldn't be what I am today. So ... that was like a fateful encounter.

CMCapture2.jpg

(Rika is silent)

Keita: Don't you reminisce, Miyama-san?

Rika: Do you have a habit of chattering once you get back?

Keita: The other day too?

Rika: You're drunk. Come, please quickly go and rest.

Keita: What's your answer to my question?

CMCapture3.jpg

Rika: I've not thought about it. In the first place, that wasn't a fateful encounter. Because there's no one else but you to succeed your father. It's only natural that I paid you that visit.

Keita: Only natural? Absolutely?

Rika: Yes.

CMCapture4.jpg

Keita: Definitely?

Rika: Yes.

Keita: I'm sorry for saying something strange.

Rika: Well then, I'll ...

CMCapture5.jpg

(Both stand up at the same time and find themselves in close proximity)

Rika: ... make a move.

Keita: It wasn't a fateful encounter after all?

(They gaze at each other)

In Keita's study

Rika: I lied to you. I've actually been thinking about it a lot. The day we first met. That a tousle-haired teacher could be such a close person.

Keita: Me too. That a strong-willed woman who came from Tokyo would become such an important person.

(Keita stretches out his hand and Rika reaches out to hold it)

CMCapture8.jpg

CMCapture9.jpg

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest suedbee

^^Oh.Em.Gee. Those scenes meant so much more than I thought! I was under the impression it was all useless drunken rambling from Keita in the hallway, and sterile words of thanks and "job well done" in the study.

Woohoo, translations rock! Thanks, jade_frost! :w00t:

Guest jade_frost

I missed out another scene in Ep9 between Keita and Rika. It's very brief but revealing at the same time:

At Keita's residence, after sampling the cabbage

Rika: I'll pick you up late tomorrow so please have a good rest.

Keita: Thank you.

Rika: Don't stay up late. Go and sleep right after your bath.

(Keita smiles)

Rika: What's amusing?

Keita: Nothing. I just thought this is good.

Rika: Huh?

Keita: I've actually been feeling down because everyone dislikes me since they think I forced Kanabayashi-san out ... but you have come back to me ... I have to work hard.

It's glaringly evident that it's mutual attraction. That much was apparent in Ep8 when Rika sought Keita out after resigning as Kanbayashi's secretary. A woman with such strong pride and character wouldn't have gone and shown her vulnerability and distress to another person much less a person of authority unless he's someone that she trusts deeply and with whom she can be herself.

Guest margarettemeister

Cool screen caps!!! Thank you. I think the only thing that matters to him is her. So long as she is by his side, the world be damned. That's what I like about Kimura's dramas, the heroines have a mind of their own, strong-willed, very opinionated, independent and feisty. And he doesn't force himself upon them. He just relies on his charm, passion, sincerity, intensity and a true good heart.

Guest shinhaku

thanks alot for the spoiler XD . when he talked about what he asked her last time, it sounded like what he said to her was a proposal XD, now that i think about it, it definitely makes sense to think of it as a proposal XDD. I really like the relationship of KeitaxRika. I have a feeling this series gonna have an open ending and there'll probably be a SP

Guest suedbee

Waaah! I had to revisit ep 9 to look for this after-cabbage scene. Thanks again, jade_frost! Keita has this habit of leaning on things when he's talking to Rika. Then he has this assessing expression on his face -- like he's satisfied and amused, just watching her. He first did it, I think, by the poolside. There's something so "come hither" about it, I'm surprised Rika doesn't just pounce him. :blush:

Cool screen caps!!! Thank you. I think the only thing that matters to him is her. So long as she is by his side, the world be damned. That's what I like about Kimura's dramas, the heroines have a mind of their own, strong-willed, very opinionated, independent and feisty. And he doesn't force himself upon them. He just relies on his charm, passion, sincerity, intensity and a true good heart.

True, true! I think I liked the leading lady in Engine the least, in that respect. But Kimura is just so effective in displaying a wide range of affection onscreen. Even the way he showed his love for his wife in Karei-naru Ichizoku was endearing, albeit not-so-important to the story.

At times when I'm watching CHANGE, I'm imagining how they would be if they were already married. For it to work, would Keita have to not be the PM and Rika finally be a politician? Would Rika sacrifice her dream for him? Could they both be in politics and still be together? Then I have to laugh at myself cuz this drama is supposed to be about so much more than that. B)

Guest jade_frost

:fury: :(

I really don't like where this is heading. No! No! No! Let it not be another "Teppei Manpyo" fate/ending. The writers should really think hard on this, lest they want poor ratings/viewership.

After watching Ep9 and seeing the trailer for Ep10, I believe we're in for a happy ending of sorts. Isn't illness one of the ways to turn things around? In Keita's case, it may win the sympathy of the people and also prompt Rika to reveal her true feelings for him. At the moment, she's been rather business-like in her interactions with him. She hides her emotions away whereas Keita wears his on his sleeve. So I think we should look forward to a change in their relationship after his collapse and hospitalisation.

In Ep9, Dr Rumiko had warned Rika that Keita's health examination results showed a very low lymph cell count because of overwork and if he doesn't do anything about it, he could eventually suffer a heart attack and angina. All the events that took place in Ep9 tipped the scale and wore him out, causing him to end up unconscious but not near death.

As for Kanbayashi, I'm wondering whether his ploy will backfire. There's a scene in Ep9 when he meets two other senior party lawmakers, Nihei and Kakiuchi, and Nihei warns him that he may have made the wrong move by leaking the information on the Daido Shoji scandal to the magazine. But Kanbayashi is unperturbed and brushes him off, saying that it doesn't matter since he had no involvement in it. But the point to note is that all the lawmakers implicated in the scandal come from the Seiyu Party which Kanbayashi heads. I'm curious to see if this is what will bring him down.

Guest margarettemeister

Jade_frost, I'm with you on this. His collapse could be just overworked, a little anemic maybe and the people will realize that after all the PM's true intentions to accommodate all their needs and problems. And Rika will come to her senses and be more vulnerable and show her love for Asakura.

As for Kanbayashi, I think the "secret fund" will be exposed and bring him down. Yey for a happy ending!

Guest margarettemeister

Jade_frost, I'm with you on this. His collapse could be just overworked, a little anemic maybe and the people will realize that after all the PM's true intentions to accommodate all their needs and problems. And Rika will come to her senses and be more vulnerable and show her love for Asakura.

As for Kanbayashi, I think the "secret fund" will be exposed and bring him down. Yey for a happy ending!

Come to think of it, Kanbayashi's male secretary knows ALL the secret deals and he tried asking Kanbayashi to reconsider after meeting the PM personally in the clinic. I think he will be the whistleblower. This is getting so exciting, can't wait for next week!

Guest jade_frost

Episode 10 Trailer

Prime Minister Asakura Keita eventually collapses. Having decided as "Team Asakura", that the country will back the rehabilitation of the cabbage farmers, various issues and work are undertaken for the people's sake. Keita had lost consciousness and collapsed in the middle of answering Kanbayashi's question at the Budget Committee meeting.

Although Keita is confined to bed, he has a Cabinet reshuffle carried out. The eight Cabinet ministers involved in the Daido Shoji scandal are replaced and new Cabinet ministers are appointed. Keita also selects an acting Prime Minister just like himself.

Keita has privately decided to step down. But before he can make the announcement himself, Kabayashi conveys his intention to resign to the press. Keita is taken aback and so are the members of Team Asakura. They pull together and talk about the what they wish to accomplish with the time that is left. During that time, the children Keita had once taught in elementary school in Nagano, visit him. They have come to tell him that they do not want him to resign.

As the issues that he has to undertake and quickly work on pile up, Keita decides to give priority to certain matters and handles them in his own way. Keita and Rika's relationship is also on the verge of a significant development ...

Guest margarettemeister

I can't believe the viewership rating scores are low. Why is it?

KANTO REGION RATINGS:

Episode 1 - 23.8

Episode 2 - 23.0

Episode 3 - 22.4

Episode 4 - 19.3

Episode 5 - 19.5

Episode 6 - 19.1

Episode 7 - 20.9

Episode 8 - 19.5

--------

The Speech of Chief Cabinet Secretary Nobutaka Machimura 2008-7-2

"Prime Minister Fukuda is passionate... If compared with Mr.Kimura, all politicians will be defeated." Machimura said.

SOURCE: http://www.jiji.com/jc/zc?k=200807/2008070200851

I'm also curious about this coz I'm really enjoying

this drama. Is it because japanese people are

not into politics? As for me I like this kind of feel

good dramas/movies and I just plainly like TK :blush:

Guest jade_frost

According to the official website, viewers of the final episode can look forward to a moving and very long speech given by Keita in a direct address to the people through an unprecedented method. Nothing was divulged on Keita and Rika's relationship or the fate of "Team Asakura".

I'm also curious about this coz I'm really enjoying

this drama. Is it because japanese people are

not into politics? As for me I like this kind of feel

good dramas/movies and I just plainly like TK :blush:

DITTO!

Not into politics but definitly into feel good dramas/movies and just plain ole crazy about TK :wub:

Guest simoneaw

I've been following this show faithfully every week since I found out that Takuya and Eri are paired up together again after A Million Stars Falling from the Sky and finally I found this place to rant on about my love for this show! I seriously recommend it to everyone!

*Just a Note*

I'm a taku-eri couple fan here and I seriously think they have more chemistry together than taku-matsu. I guess because they are more close as friends in real live so I don't see their chemistry as a couple on-screen, especially the recent Hero movie they acted in together. The kiss at the last part was sort of out-of-the-blue and awkward.

Although the theme of politics wasn't enticing me to watch this show, I was really compelled to watch Takuya and Eri pair up together as a couple again after seeing their great on-screen chemistry of their drama 6 years ago. I also highly recommend AMSFFTS, it really keeps you hanging on to the edge of your seat with its storyline although at the end I fell in love with the love story part of the plot rather than the mystery/suspense story entwined in it. [prepare a tissue box for this drama]

Anyway, back to ranting about 'CHANGE". I thought the scriptwriters have really improved since the drama 'HERO' in terms of writing and developing the love story part of the drama. In 'HERO', although Kuryu and Amamiya worked together and all, I didn't exactly see how they could develop feelings for each other. It seemed more like a I-like-you-because-I'm-used-to-seeing-you-everyday love story that doesn't feel like love but more out of habit. Plus maybe because the writers were not intending to let the love story plot be the 2nd main part of the show in the first place.

But from 'CHANGE', the writers have made a significant effort to develop their love story gradually and less obviously in every single episode, from the way they met, the glances and looks Keita would give to Rika every time he needs affirmation and strength and also the fact that they are together almost 24/7. Plus I'm a big fan of the I'm-falling-for-you-because-you-changed-my-life love plot. The title of the drama seems to describe not just the change in the main political segment of the show but also the love story plot [which seems to be the 2nd main of the show] whereas both Keita and Rika changed each others' lives. In my point of view, even if Keita has to step down as Prime Minister, the story would still fit its title because of the development of their love story.

Aside from the storyline which I think is pretty good [i don't understand why it has such low ratings], I love the casting of the characters in it [maybe except Hikaru]. Takuya does a pretty good job in looking good in a suit, acting cute and innocent with his affro hairdo and also does well as a sensitive and shy guy who doesn't dare express his love when his face-to-face with Rika. Eri is great also not just her looks but also how she portrays herself as a strong career woman that slowly melts because of Keita's passion. I really admire Akira as the evil Senator, delivering his evil eye and kind smile both really convincingly. Hiroshi overall has really great chemistry with practically all the other actors as he gives the comedic relief in the entire film.

After giving praise to the story and cast, I would now like to continue ranting on about Takuya and Eri [Keita-Rika love story]. I don't know why, but I just can't seem to get them out of my head. Had been taking screen shots of them in AMSFFTS and now in CHANGE. First off, I love Keita's character. I think its interesting how he's interested in astronomy and believes in astronomy predictions that only girls would bother reading. Because of the fact that he knows nothing about politics initially he depends on Rika a lot, so when she was assigned to be his secretary he seems really happy. He would always look to her for confirmation even when he's doing magazine interviews [ep 2]. Then when he is asked to join the election for PM, they seem to interact with a pretty good atmosphere around them, be it joking or studying. But by the 3rd episode, he doesn't just look for confirmation from her but strength and encouragement, as seen just before he was suppose to give his speech as he climbs to the top of the van. I guess the director deserves applause for not missing out the small little glances that mean so much in their relationship development.

I like the fact that there's always a significant scene in every episode that shows their interaction. In episode 4 there was him snoozing on her shoulder, in 5 there was him whining about wanting donuts and she made the effort to get them for him. He looked really cute trying not to smile when he saw the donuts and she looked really worried for him [or maybe the disaster] when she sent him off. Although somehow it seems that he's feelings may be only one-sided at the start, its obvious that Rika was slowing being infected by his definition of politics and changing her mindset because of him. I liked Keita's honesty to his feelings towards her in the 6th episode to the mass public, admitting that he would like to be in a relationship with her although he wasn't as honest face-to-face with her. He just hinted that he doesn't think its bad to have rumors going on since they're both single.

Episode 7 was intense in my opinion, mainly showing Rika's struggle within herself which proves that her does have some attachment to him. The way she took such a long time to finally say she wants to quit even though she could have mentioned it when they were washing the dishes [which btw, she looked really small and petite standing beside him without heels and jacket]. The way Keita's first question ["Was it something I did.." ] to her quitting seemed to be asked in a non-boss capacity, showing that he's more concerned about her opinion of him in her eyes then thinking as a boss [which would be more like "Any personal reasons?"]. I was pretty happy when he finally asked her to stay by his side even though it was more work-wise than love-wise and I was glad to see Rika waver at his words. Even though she told him to let her consider again, it was more like she wanted to stay but needed approval from Kanbayashi. I honestly didn't expect Keita to walk in upon her in Kanbayashi's office, especially right after mastering his courage to get her to stay. What a hard blow, it was expected to see him so dejected and breaks down.

Episode 8 was again exciting and shocking when the press conference was held. I honestly thought Kanbayashi looked super sincere. I loved the last scene when Rika said she wanted to live out her own lifestyle and wanted to ask to return. In episode 7 she told Hikaru that she wanted to quit because she has her own life to live and now she's admitting that her path in life is together with Keita. Keita's so gentle and sensitive, asking her to return before she could do the asking so as to not hurt her pride. How thoughtful! Especially loved it when she took the initiative to reveal her vulnerable self in front of him for the first time.

And finally in episode 9 Rika seems to be showing more obvious concern for Keita! Instead of asking him to work and study all the time she's worried about his position as PM and his health. I loved it when Keita was talking about his sign being the luckiest this week and the lucky item to carry is a pearl necklace. Its just weird to see a guy interested in that. But its cute that he deems Rika as his 'lucky item' to carry as she was wearing a pearl necklace. They seem to act more boyfriend-girlfriend-ish as she starts nagging at him to go bathe and sleep early. He's more concerned with having her around than his position as PM. I hope she would stop being so stubborn and just admit that it's fate they met. Their chemistry is always there even if they are still so formal with one another and even when they're just staring at each other [common scene that's found in many episodes of AMSFFTS also], I could feel the attraction and love. Either that or I was just mesmerised by Takuya's eyes or both.

I can't wait for the final episode! I hope someone would be kind enough to upload it as soon as it ends in japan. I would most probably have to wait until wednesday for it to be available. The ending scene of Rika running towards Keita and the preview of her holding his hand makes me 99% sure that they wouldn't end the show without them not ending up together. I think the writers should have learnt their lesson by now from the public's reaction to the ending of 'HERO'. Although they don't hug and kiss or have a bed scene in this show like AMSFFTS, their chemistry is still apparent. I would vote for them to be a real couple if he wasn't married. What a pity.

Guest suedbee

^^ Wow. You're a huge TakuyaxEri fan. And I can't say I disagree. She's also my favorite leading lady for Kimura-san. When two actors can exude such chemistry just by glancing at each other, I'm all for their pairing. They were awesome in AMSFFTS. And their characters are so different in CHANGE, and yet they maintain that connection on-screen.

You have a point that the characters in this show have undergone change, and therefore, might merit the title of the show. But, as you've also mentioned, that's secondary to this being a show about politics. So some change has to happen in that front for me to be somewhat satisfied.

Cannot wait for the finale. Woohoo! Hand-holding! Gosh... Sometimes, I shock myself by how gleeful I can be with mere hand-holding (between grown people no less!!!) :blush:

Archived