Change (j-drama Spring 2008)

Guest jade_frost

Guest simoneaw

Found this old Takuya interview in 2002 that talked a little about Eri. Being their fan, shall share this.

Myoyo Magazine February 2002 Kiss

The song First Kiss I’ve sung a few years ago at the concert. Isn’t that a theme song for an animated movie called 奇妙大百科 ? When I first listen to the song, that lyrics gave me the feeling of wanting to kiss. “O…I really have that type of a feeling.” So I decided to sing this solo at the concert.

The word チュウ (kiss) gives me a feeling of existing beyond time. We definitely would say words of kiss , 口つげ and others. If the other party does not have a strong feeling for a kiss, then wouldn’t a kiss be totally unfeeling? I have experienced kiss that are not of standard, and of no feelings. Very young, when I was still a little kid, if I didn’t have the wish to kiss, I would refuse and would turn my face away. In contrast, when I want to kiss, even if I had to chase for it, I would still want a result. (laughs). Kiss is in general a very beautiful thing. But if it doesn’t come voluntarily, then it would not have a sense of beauty and it would become a meaningless action. We go to the seashore and facing her, I feel as though facing the magical changing waves that toss up and down. I would tell her that. And naturally, that feeling of wanting to kiss will naturally rise. “Why?” While talking and kissing, I would feel happy. (laughs) This type of things that delight the mood, in another meaning, the more difficult it is , the more valued it is. If I sing the song First Kiss again, it would be a totally different feeling now.

In the series “A Million Stars”, it gives the impression that in every episode there is different kissing scenes. But for me, it is a little bit different. Because this time I was playing a role of a person who couldn’t love. So when I read the script and came to the point where it said, “And at this moment, the two surprising kissed passionately…” This type of words did not move me at all. Even during shooting, even when I kissed the costars (井川遥Igawa Haruka, 本田真帆, 喍关幸), that type of kiss is not alive and is a non-living thing type of feel. That type of passionate feeling might appear but inside, I don’t have that “dong, dong” feel of heart beat. But with 深津绘里Fukatsu Eri, even if I am close to her face, I did have that type of feeling. After meeting 深津绘里Fukatsu Eri, only then did my character started to love. At that time I became myself and in him, a feeling of wah…! And a rush of blood. Finally knowing how to love, he also for the first time realized the hardship of sorrow and pain.

There was that scene. I can’t remember the script. I lifted 深津绘里Fukatsu Eri ’s face and kissed her. That place, how should I say it. It is a bit special. To say that we were only playing the role to show that ex<x>pression, is not exactly all. When I had to play the role where I know my fate and my feelings, as an actor, to have to know that Fukatsu Eri was to be the sister, and yet I had to act as though I was deeply in love without knowing this fact, that is really a very sad affair. That is something you would not experience in life. Thinking back, to be able to participate in this role this time is very beneficial. Even though in the final episode , it was very saddening, It is still good to be able to star in this series.

Kiss is humankind’s magical and strange prerogative. It’s a prerogative that no other animals possess. So, I should not give my kiss to anything that pollutes. I hate this the most. Coming out from a bar are the drunken man and girl’s kiss. The guy would say, “No problem, no problem” and would kiss the girl hard. This I hate very much. Whether it is seeing that face or see that circumstances, I really hate that the most. With an unclear mind at that state, there would not be the feeling of purity and beauty. From the point of the man’s own integrity, his superficial purity and his integrity or lack thereof do not match up. Of course, if you see little preschooler kiss, that type of feeling of purity is easily understandable. But I am not saying that if you become a high school student or a college student, that feeling of purity no longer exists. Perhaps it might be in a car, or perhaps while waiting for the traffic light at the intersection, “Let’s kiss here,” that type of true feeling would still be there. As long as there is that sincerity, you pick up your courage and approach the other party, the feeling at that moment is pure. That is definitely an exciting affair.

My first kiss? It’s around 5 years old. It’s with a girl called Kumi. It was playing prince and princess and it didn’t seem like my parents were angry about it. I should have done these things when the parents were not around. After that, I felt that I had a very special experience. This time of the year when schools are ready to break out for vacation, there are much more free time, wouldn’t the energy to fall in love be more during such time? But now, my thinking about these things change. “Love, I could try” has come about. This type of thinking I could not understand. Compared to this feeling, for love, I think it is better than within you, you keep a certain perspective. Your feelings, the feelings you transmute to the other party, the action you take to express your feeling, all these you had beeter have a clear concept. It is not to say that I craft the feelings but that I simply want to be able to use my own inner measurement to gauge my own feelings. If I could do that, I think, I would definitely have an exciting love and have many exciting kisses. Of course life could be special. Whether you are middle school students already or you are friends, now that it is summer vacation, I hope you would not be influenced by surrounding factors.

Finally, the World Cup in Italy, when 安真焕 kissed his ring, it was very exciting. When he passed the ball, that moment of happiness he wanted to share, and that type of ex<x>pression is really very cool! Before that, even though he didn’t have much help, “Korea, highest…” yet, they managed. It is said that those from Europe would have such natural ex<x>pressions. I’m envious.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ginoru

It is the first time i have to use the word "cute" refering to a politics drama :)

I enjoyed this drama A LOT and i don't like politics at all ;)

Guest margarettemeister

Some people said that CHANGE "felt like it was written by a 10 year old kid armed with a textbook on Japanese politics....they oversimplified everything....dumbed down....not like West Wing".

I think you have to give credit to the scriptwriters for being able to accomplish what they set out to do, and that is to hold the audience's interest in the littlest time frame possible and making them understand topics which they don't normally do, unlike West Wing which dealt with heavy political issues and had a longer season to air their episodes. Of course, CHANGE had some silly moments and cliches, but I think, overall it was a good and effective drama.

I recall an article that Philip Brasor wrote for Japan Times. He said, "while "Change" suffers from the poor pacing and lackluster direction common to all Japanese TV dramas ... it doesn't promise to be a compelling one either... but at best it could remind viewers, in a way that's easy to digest, of the self-serving nature of politics and how it's led to the current malaise in government."

I like CHANGE :) It was a refreshing drama and raised the bar for the rest. :P

I just finished the last episode today and I

absolutely love this series. There is just one

thing I would like to ask, does the group picture

at the beginning of the credits mean anything?

I would like to think that it means that Asakura

Keita won the elections again?

I enjoyed this series alot because it has a different theme, it is close to reality, and is entertaining at the same time. I personally can relate to Takuya, because in our province, our governor is currently experiencing these bullying and demolition jobs of dirty (traditional) politicians. By the way, our governor is a former priest. He only run for governor because we have no choice between two other candidates, one with money and one with popularity (actor). Our country (Philippines) is very political by nature, so if Change will be aired here, it will be a popular drama, especially if it is aired on primetime. I really, really want to thank you for posting summaries and translations. I will watch this series again because I have missed out on alot of minute but important details of Keita + Rika's romance. :P

I just finished the last episode today and I

absolutely love this series. There is just one

thing I would like to ask, does the group picture

at the beginning of the credits mean anything?

I would like to think that it means that Asakura

Keita won the elections again?

lol i dont think it means he did, cus he set the picture down next to the other pics after

he resigned as pm and before he started campaigning again

Guest margarettemeister

lol i dont think it means he did, cus he set the picture down next to the other pics after

he resigned as pm and before he started campaigning again

I think it was a souvenir group picture of Team Asakura. But he did run again in the snap elections.

Guest naoto

i finished it as well! ah kimura san, another fine drama i was hooked onto. i read some comments that people were unimpressed with the way it was written. but i think it was aimed towards an audience that didnt really care about politics, nor was the accuracy of its political references the point. it was kind of 'wow this could never happen' but fun to watch anyway.

Guest mookie

I concur on the point that 'it felt like it was written by a 10 year old kid armed with a textbook on Japanese politics....they oversimplified everything....dumbed down...A LOT.

I'm at ep 5, scanned thro ep 6 and I've decided to stop. ep1 didnt get me hooked, but it's on my back burner of dramas I thought interesting and entertaining enough later and I did this wk.

Yes Change was interesting and entertaining for the first couple episodes, but it didnt set up any bar, nor did I find it refreshing. It settled too much on catchy kimura-isms and the whole conservative japanese dorama formulae of episodic oversimplified, unrealistic resolutions. It's still fun to watch, but it totally disppointed me in expecting this to be a thrilling political drama that I can learn sth fr. Yes, for ppl who have no interest in anything politics (I dont either), no concern of accuracy or even logic, this is a fun ride. But realism, this is not. I didnt know we cant bring our brain along to watch this drama. But yeah, I should if I wanna enjoy a 'fun' ride.

And it's a pity. It CAN be so much more if the script was written with more care and thought. The acting ar mostly superb.... *sigh* if this has taken substantial research and planning on the scriptwriting part, this is disastrous. I can see the dedication and work in the direction and the set and so forth, but when it comes to the most crucial (for me) script. It failed. It is heartbreaking almost to see all the actors and actresses doing their most earnest and serious job with this subpar material.

ep 5 STINKS.. 'I'd rather watch an ep of Gokusen3' that's my thought when I was watching it, at least G3 was honest with how stupid, frothy and cliched it was, no pretense and promise of bigger better things like Change. I'm very sorely disappointed.

Got that off my chest, Change is still very watchable for most. It's still very well done, well acted, well directed, but in no way it's the best drama, and for a kimutaku getsuku... *sigh*

Guest kimurafreek

For me, CHANGE is Introduction to "Feel Good" Politics.

It's not something like "West Wing" or something like "The American President".

I didn't expect something like that.

I live in country that has politics' problem about .... leader,corruption, and everything that 's hard to imagine those can be occured in one country.

This serie show me the light and give me some HOPE in politics. It told me that I can beleive in Politics ...

"Please beleive in politics, do your best and see how things go" -- sound refrehing

I really want this serie to on air in my country but it's almost impossible ..... too much senitive issues :sweatingbullets:

Guest sfyau2004

Finished the show! Liked it a lot! Don't have to be realistic for me! Liked how they managed to keep it short and sweet! Kimura is my dream PM!

Guest cuteangelika

I really enjoyed this show and the monologue proved to me how good kimutaku was. How many actors would be able to capture the audience in 20 mins by just talking? My hubby didnt like that I was fangirling over kimutaku (well, I told him I wanted a son just like kimutaku.. haha) so he had me watch this gore movie, Philosophy of a Knife, about how Japan used human beings (other races) as experiments in unit 731. I kept telling him that all nations had done something unforgivable, but he kept on saying that Japan was different because they didnt ask for forgiveness at all and they still believed what they did then was right. So what's the connection? He wanted me to boycott japanese products... so i asked him, should we bash our tv? crash our car? burn our pc? We could do that but he can never take away my jdramas from me, especially kimutaku!!!! I kept telling him, kimutaku makes up for everything and he looks at me in disbelief. hehe.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest simoneaw

Kimura Takuya drama ratings:

1) 34.03% [HERO]

2) 31.86% [beautiful Life]

3) 30.7% [Love Generation]

4) 30.41% [Good Luck!!]

5) 29.1% [Long Vacation]

6) 28.2% [Concerto]

7) 27.0% [Asunaro Hakusho]

8) 25.2% [Nemureru Mori]

9) 25.1% [PRIDE]

10) 24.6% [ii Hito]

11) 23.9% [Karei naru Ichizoku]

12) 22.42% [ENGINE]

13) 22.26% [sora Kara Furu Ichiku no Hoshi]

14) 21.7% [CHANGE]

15) 20.3 [Jinsei wa Jojo da]

16) 17.85% [GIFT]

17) 16.21% [Wakamono no Subete]

Over the years his drama ratings seems to be decreasing.. how sad. But the good thing is that they are still the highest compared to other dramas screening at the same time. Most dramas seem to float below 20%.

Maybe he should start focusing all his attention on appearing in movies instead of SMAP Bistro and dramas... like Takeshi Kaneshiro, my other favorite good-looking japanese actor.

Work hard man! I'll support him whichever way.

Kimura Takuya drama ratings:

1) 34.03% [HERO]

2) 31.86% [beautiful Life]

3) 30.7% [Love Generation]

4) 30.41% [Good Luck!!]

5) 29.1% [Long Vacation]

6) 28.2% [Concerto]

7) 27.0% [Asunaro Hakusho]

8) 25.2% [Nemureru Mori]

9) 25.1% [PRIDE]

10) 24.6% [ii Hito]

11) 23.9% [Karei naru Ichizoku]

12) 22.42% [ENGINE]

13) 22.26% [sora Kara Furu Ichiku no Hoshi]

14) 21.7% [CHANGE]

15) 20.3 [Jinsei wa Jojo da]

16) 17.85% [GIFT]

17) 16.21% [Wakamono no Subete]

Over the years his drama ratings seems to be decreasing.. how sad. But the good thing is that they are still the highest compared to other dramas screening at the same time. Most dramas seem to float below 20%.

Maybe he should start focusing all his attention on appearing in movies instead of SMAP Bistro and dramas... like Takeshi Kaneshiro, my other favorite good-looking japanese actor.

Work hard man! I'll support him whichever way.

Ditto!

Guest margarettemeister

Ditto!

Yes, just like Takeshi, it's time that he move on to the international market (I think Kimura is coming out soon in I COME WITH THE RAIN movie starring Josh Hartnett which is a good start) and do Indie films too. That way more people can recognize him and spread it all around the world. Let's just hope he gets good roles and not typical Asian stereotype ones that can really showcase his talent.

Archived