[drama 2008] Happiness / Bliss / I Am Happy 행복합니다

Guest huangsy

Hmmm, shades of 우리들 (or tayong dalawa for all you silent lurkers who speak a language I like even more than Korean). Careful canyayasis: you'll be starting rumors there. I don't want hjkomo's hubby calling me out.

After all, we know from an earlier posting in this thread that he watches sports on TV. That's enough to get me nervous, even if he is 8 timezones away.

No need to worry, baduy. "Watches sports on TV" (which I also do on occasion), mixed with SOFTWARE ENGINEER from Minnesota who ran cross-country in high school, should give you an indication that he's not a bat/gun/machete[insert appropriate favorite weapon of choice of the male chauvinist here]-wielding type. If I had wanted a stereotypical, self-inflated macho-Korean male (no offense to the Korean males reading this, that's why I inserted the 'stereotypical' - just speaking from my limited personal dating experience) or a 'Real Man' from one of the red states, I would have married one of them and

not the kind, lovable, and open-minded man I ended up with. :lol:

Did I also mention that French Bordeaux is his alcohol of choice? - Not Coors, Bud, or Colt 45...(although, he does like the occasional Guinness or tasty microbrew and really old single-malt scotch).

Damn you - weak U.S. Dollar! Everything's so damn expensive! :angry:

Yeah, I get those ads from google, too. They're creepy...I don't want to know about sexy Asian girls (or those interested in them) in my neighborhood. Eeewwwww!

canyayasis - after watching Ep.4 before going to bed, I had a couple of strange dreams last night about I Am Happy. (though, I can't remember what they are, only that I dreamt them) :lol:

EDIT: Wow, 13 users reading this thread!!! All aboard!!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

canyayasis - after watching Ep.4 before going to bed, I had a couple of strange dreams last night about I Am Happy. (though, I can't remember what they are, only that I dreamt them) :lol:

I did too! (and i don't joke about dreams) I've spent time in Hong Kong which is

probably why those images were strong enough to cross into dreamland - I was exhausted too...

How strange - maybe the digital stream is laced with subliminal images or messages -

you know they used to do that here in the U.S. - until it became illegal -

I think dreaming about this series is indicative of several very distinguished players

being strongly established right up front.

but how did HGD's dad do the Hong Kong shooting????

Could there be a better thread than this???

We'll discuss episodes - familial situations - learn new korean idoims - conjugate some verbs -

-and together pick a nice wine to sip while watching the show.

I'll take a very nice Chianti - thank you very much -

of course - it airs a 4:45 AM for me in the mountains - so i guess I'll need to start sipping the night before -

okay gals (hjkomo and canyayasis)...I see the two of you giggling here..and interested to join in the fun..because heaven knows I need some comedic relief nowadays.

My only question is...are there any other links besides CB? I'm still not in the CB mode yet..I've resisted CB for years (not sure why but I'm still resisting it now :lol). So if there are d/l links or streaming links for this....please let me know.

Never minddd...I just saw on page 3 some d/l links. I'll give this a shot....hopefully will join in the fun soon :lol:

okay gals (hjkomo and canyayasis)...I see the two of you giggling here..and interested to join in the fun..because heaven knows I need some comedic relief nowadays.

My only question is...are there any other links besides CB? I'm still not in the CB mode yet..I've resisted CB for years (not sure why but I'm still resisting it now :lol). So if there are d/l links or streaming links for this....please let me know.

Never minddd...I just saw on page 3 some d/l links. I'll give this a shot....hopefully will join in the fun soon :lol:

o_cha - i'll get you hooked up with SBS for live feed - what TIME of day is it for you when you watch.

I am so jazzed that you'll be joining us - as giggling as it gets -

i REALLY REALLY do hang around these two (hjkomo and BADUY) because of what i can LEARN from them.

they make learning fun!

puela - i'm so relieved to see you posting MU links -

I don't know how you do it all - but you make watching these shows possible.

I am always grateful for your hard work - though i should say thank you more often -

so thank you! thank you! thank you!

puela - i'm so relieved to see you posting MU links -

I don't know how you do it all - but you make watching these shows possible.

I am always grateful for your hard work - though i should say thank you more often -

so thank you! thank you! thank you!

u r welcome... and I have several computers working on the uploading and downloading home, work's and my latop.. Thank Goodness for being able to remotely control all of them hehehe... ^_^v ...

Guest twopiece

Ok to do a recap.. here are the MU links for the episodes.

Credits to Por13_2nmpm and me :D . The same as all my other post I will post new links in these post so that it is easier to keep track and find the links.. Enjoy ppl!! ^_^ v

I Am Happy Ep.01 (Ental) : Part 1 ; Part 2

I Am Happy Ep.02 (Ental) : Part 1 ; Part 2

I Am Happy Ep.03 (Ental) : Part 1 ; Part 2

I Am Happy Ep.04 (Ental) : Part 1 ; Part 2

reuploading 3-1

Thank you for the links. Saw the first episode and it was quite interesting.

Yeah, I get those ads from google, too. They're creepy...I don't want to know about sexy Asian girls (or those interested in them) in my neighborhood

Interesting that Mr Google wastes his bandwidth by sending the same supposedly "consumer and locality profile targetted" ad to two people six thousand or so miles apart for a "product" neither of them wants; yet he goes to the trouble of saying "neigbourhood" to me and "neighborhood" to US readers. The trick of the "plausible detail" that's meant to vouch for the quality or accuracy of the rest. (A favorite trick of clairvoyants, of course)

Is that remark by any stretch of the imagination relevant to this thread?? I hear the exasperated query (or less refined words to the same effect) from various points round the globe . To which I reply, like the young heroines who totter home after a teary evening in a tent bar waiting in vain for Oppa to show and are asked by their rice-spoon brandishing Mom whether they've maybe (hokshi) been drinking: "cho-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-gum". Just a teeny bit.

Because I know that a lot of people in this and similar threads are keen to learn as much Korean as they can so they can enjoy these dramas even more, and they sometimes turn to Mr Google for help with Korean translation. And for the past few months now he's been deploying (and trumpetting) his supposedly radically new improved statistically-based translation system, having parted ways with the Systran technique still used by Babelfish.

Now the chief characteristic of New Improved Google Translation is that its output, at least at individual sentence level, usually looks plausible. It "reads well". Whereas Babelfish (or Old Google), in its raw state, sometimes reads like complete nonsense, especially to people who don't appreciate the specific features of the language it's translating from. Which tends to fool people who don't really know much about translation or languages in general into assuming that Google's results must be better.

Since there are quite a few ex-Insoonatics like myself around here, let's take a sentence from that drama. I won't tell you just yet what it is in Korean. Instead, I'll tell you how New Improved Google translates it:

My God, I have no interest in this population.

Sounds like a plausible enough English sentence, doesn't it? Though you may be scratching your heads wondering which episode of Insoon that can have come from. OK, let's see what Systran/Babelfish makes of the same sentence

I die, or, I live, or anyone there was not interest

Well, that certainly doesn't look like any kind of English at all. But hang on a second. Here's the Korean:

내가 죽거나, 내가 살거나 아무도 관심이 없었다

Literally word by word, that's

I die-or, I live-or anyone['s] concern was absent.

Or, more idiomatically

Whether I lived or died, nobody cared.

In other words, Google's superficially impressive English turns out to be utter garbage. (Well OK, I suppose half a mark for getting "interest" sort-of right...) And once we have a bit of an inkling about how Korean works (which is why I gave the literal word-by-word breakdown) Babelfish/Systran's apparent incoherencies turn out to be actually rather a good shot for a mere machine. Certainly good enough for someone who is prepared to do a bit of background work on the structure of Korean to get a useful leg-up from the Babelfish offering. Whereas Google is liable to foster a completely delusional sense of successful translation or understanding.

So: my two cents for those who want a quick piece of advice on computerised help with Kdrama (or Kpop lyrics): try to learn some basic Korean grammar, then let Babel be your fishy friend and mistrust smoothtalking Mr Google. And don't be misled by those ads of his, even though they do help pay the Soompi bills, for which we all should of course be grateful.

I have no dreams to report, but since we seem to be setting our viewing in family context, I should perhaps admit that one thing I was a bit anxious about when first advocating this drama was that I might be somewhat biassed, because the personality of SY, so far at least, is astonishingly like my wife's. Or at least like she was 35 years or so ago now. And when I wore extremely geeky specs, even by 1970s standards. In the meantime it may well be possible to ride an escalator with her and arrive with dignity intact at the top. I may even experimentally risk it next time she can persuade me to go to a mall with her (sometime around 2012, maybe).

As for the discovery that hjkomo's husband likes old single malts.... All my fears vanish. Should he ever come at me brandishing a running shoe, I shall win him over immediately by the sight of one or two rather special bottles from my collection, some of them fantastic malts which the distillers won't export even to the next town, let alone to barbaric places like England or the US. Although in the glass in front of me as I write is a 14 year old coastal highland Clynelish which can be obtained as far away from the distillery as Edinburgh at least. But since you tell us he is such a kind chap, please don't ever punish him by making him watch any of those unfortunately rather numerous Kdrama sequences where supposed sophisticates sit at art deco bars and quaff Johnny Walker Paint Stripper Black Label in the belief that it shows their cosmopolitan taste in booze. At least, unlike in Hollywood movies, they don't (usually) put ice in the stuff. Oh the agony!

So I'm finally caught up with all 5 pages of this thread so far...phewww good thing it's only 5 pages so far hehehe.

The drama sure sounds like my cup of tea so now I'm just patiently waiting for the clock to hit 4:45 PM...which would be an 'acceptable' time for me to start packing up and heading home :lol:. And after spending 1 hour in traffic hopefully I'll have the energy to start downloading...aja!

puela : thanks so much for the d/l link~!

canyayasis : I'll PM you to get the info on watching live,ok?

baduy : I'm enjoying your episode guides so far. I didn't see the guide for eps 3 and 4 yet. Are you going to do that this week?

Speaking about google vs babelfish. I don't normally use google because I know how erronous it can be. I use babelfish...and my trusty little handy dandy dictionary. I think babelfish is actually pretty decent for word translation..not sentence translation.

I'm happy to know that WITHS2 is taking this drama as a side project...hopefully more people will give it a shot...

Hahaha! baduy, it's good to know that you can win my husband over with the Highlands' finest. The best he can usually get is either from this obscure wine/spirits store near where we live or whatever's available at the duty-free shop at Heathrow. We actually haven't made a trip to the UK together (aside from stop-overs in London), and the last time he had stepped outside the airport there was sometime in the early 90's when he spent a semester there studying in Bath.

Oh.....he just came in wondering why I was laughing so loud....and informed me that he does, indeed, have a bottle of the 14 year-old Clynelish, purchased from said previously-mentioned obscure shop. :lol:

canyayasis, since this airs at 3:45 AM my time :crazy: , I think I'll stick to dl-ing from CB or megaupload (thanks, puela!). Waking up at gawd-awful hours of the morning on Wednesdays & Thursdays is quite enough for me, thank you very much! :wacko:

o-cha, glad to have you on board! It's going to be a fun ride!

Guest evelyn168

I'm watching the first episode subbed now... I like it because I like Leehoon, Ha sukjin and Kim Hyojin... I like the chemistry between KHJ and HSJ so far...

For all of you who can't download from CB.

Non-Clubbox

I Am Happy Ep.02 (Ental) : Part 1 ; Part 2 (uploading)

I Am Happy Ep.03 (Ental) : Part 1 (uploading) ; Part 2

credit : puela & por13_2mpn

and this is "I am happy" forum for Thai Fans.

http://forums.popcornfor2.com/index.php?showtopic=57016

you can get Non-CB download from the 1st page of this thread.

Hope you'll enjoy the show!!

Thanks a lot for taking care of the Non-CB fans !!! Cheers ")

Guest kacanghijau

Ok to do a recap.. here are the MU links for the episodes.

Credits to Por13_2nmpm and me :D . The same as all my other post I will post new links in these post so that it is easier to keep track and find the links.. Enjoy ppl!! ^_^ v

I Am Happy Ep.02 (Ental) : Part 1 ; Part 2

I Am Happy Ep.03 (Ental) : Part 1 ; Part 2 (fixed)

I Am Happy Ep.04 (Ental) : Part 1 ; Part 2

Thanks Puela! I will download it soon (after finish downloading TWSSG) and wait for the softsubs from WITHS2 before watch it....

Guest smiley6yrl

I'm watching the first episode subbed now... I like it because I like Leehoon, Ha sukjin and Kim Hyojin... I like the chemistry between KHJ and HSJ so far...

where did you watch the first ep subbed at? probably on tv when it aired right?

Guest cyan4jy

WITH S2 is taking this on as a SIDE PROJECT, just because this project is too good to pass up~ :D

BUT... we do still need TONS of help. So, please PM me or mily2, if you can help w/ translations

(korean/chinese translators are very welcome) ^^

Lots of Thanks ay_link and the rest of the S2 subbing team!!! :D:D

good morning everyone...i stumbled upon this thread while checking WITH S2's website for HGD subs status...i have not heard of this drama before but the title caught my attention so i clicked on the link and end up here...good to see some familiar names ...the screncaps and recaps were interesting so i d/l-ed all 4 episodes and I'm going to start watching later...hopefully it will be interesting enough to get me hooked although it is quite a long drama but we shall see...glad WITH S2 is subbing this drama...thank you guys.

thanks Puela for the d/l links

Guest mannymo

Hi everyone,

I got a tiny request for the ones who've seen it so far:

Can somebody make a small synopsis for me about this series , which i can put in my topic for the rawreleases @ d-addicts? It would be greatly appreciated.

imogene_af : yaaaay...nice to see you here. I just joined the Happiness camp yesterday too..lol.

I finally managed to watch the first 2 episodes last night.

Let me first say that so far this is a good and cuuute drama. Now off to my jumble of thoughts...for those who regularly go to Robbers thread you know what kind of things you can expect from my sometimes incomprehensible post...hehehe. First of all I apologize...this will probably be a long post since this is my thoughts on 2 episodes.

Part 1…mostly on episode 1. Do I need to highlight or put my comments in spoiler tags?

I absolutely love the start of the series. The whole thief scene was brilliant. It wasn't really part of the story per se but I love how this is such a fresh approach to introducing the characters and laying down a basis for the story of the Lee family. Then come the chase scene where Lee Joon Soo came running after the thief. Here he was in his white singlet and boxer running after the thief in the cold of the dawn. As he ran after the thief we see a garbage truck in the neighborhood with the garbage men all bundled up from head to toe with their orange vest. I don't know why but I love this scene. It shows a very striking contrast between Joon Soo in his underwear vs the garbage men in their 'suit'. The run ensues and they came over a dam/bridge or something...what is that by the way? whatever it is it was cool seeing the running water over the ditch. I was quite impressed with Joon Soo character even from the beginning. It shows that this guy must be in tip top physical condition to be able to catch up to the thief in such a cold weather. Joon Soo started yelling at the thief to give back the ring to whick the thief disgustingly look at the ring no doubt thinking he couldn't believe that a man would chase after him for a long time for such a crappy looking ring. Strangely though the ring was the only thing in Joon Soo's mind. He didn't ask the thief to give back everything that the thief has picked up from his house...just the ring. What exactly is the meaning behind this? Either he cares so much about the ring that he couldn't think of any other thing or maybe he is a bit selfish (not caring about anybody else's possession besides his). I don't know which one it is but I just though it was a bit strange that he only asked for the ring and nothing else. I guess we'll find out later on what kind of man Joon Soo is.

The thief tossed the ring back to a field behind Joon Soo...causing Joon Soo to scramble looking for the ring. Soon after that we see the rest of Joon soo's family coming finally caught up with him..all of them are in their underwear/sleeping attire. I thought this was cute...all the guys running on the street with their boxers and thermals.

After their breakfast they came back to the house and we get to see a man sharply dressed in business suit. This man is Joon Soo..the same man who just moments ago were seen running in his boxers. What a change to see him all decked up in a suit. When I saw him all dressed up my immediate thoughts was this guy looks like Leon Lai (HK actor/singer). Anybody else think so?

Honestly my first impression of Kim Hyo Jin as Park Seo Yoon wasn't much but she grew on me by the second episode. In the beginning she just came up as a spoiled rich girl trying to have some fun by dressing down and acting the pauper.

The proposal was ehhh...a bit lacking scene wise but I do enjoy the dialogue. I like how Joon Soo obviously cares about Seo Yoon and even acts the hero by saying that he will take care of Seo Yoon no matter what. He assured her that she doesn't need to worry....what a man! hehehe.

Now I have to mention Seo Yoon's mom. She was so funny when she asked the housemaid if she has gained weight. As the housemaid said that she hasn't gained weight at all we see Seo Yoon's mom smiling while saying "You're lying". I don't know why but that scene reminded me of Snow White's stepmother the evil queen. Just like the evil queen looking at the magic mirror asking who is the prettiest in the land and feeling reassured whenever the mirror answered that she is the pretties....Seo Yoon's mom is that way (at least for me). I have a feeling that she asks the question “Have I gained weight?” to the housemaid plenty of times before that. Whenever the housemaid answered no she feels reassured that she still looks as good as ever. Which is why when the junior housemaid brazenly said that she has gained weight she was unhappy. This was a funny yet a bit sad scene for me. I think most women have struggled with weight one time or another. Here we see this beautiful woman definitely in good shape worrying whether she has gained weight or not. Again we are reminded of the misconception of beauty in society how if you are fat then you are not beautiful.

Again the notion of beauty and body consciousness is inserted in the scene where Seo Yoon’s mom wouldn’t let Ae Da (Seo Yoon’s younger sister) eat the rest of the cake. Obviously Seo Yoon’s mom is obsessed with beauty and weight ..making sure her daughter doesn’t gain weight. When the dad casually just gave his cake to Ae Da I smiled…. thinking in the back of my mind “Good job SY’s dad. Your daughter deserves to eat her cake.” I think the writer does a good job portraying what is happening in society. Without being too preachy the writer is trying to convey that it’s okay for women to not have to worry about weight once in a while. It’s okay to eat cake..it really is okay.

My impression of Seo Yoon started to change a bit when she clearly expressed displeasure in her dinner date with her family and the HK group chaebol family. Finally I see this girl showing something more than just playing around with Joon Soo. It wasn’t until this scene that I realized that she does love Joon Soo and what she feels for him is real. One thing I noticed that I thought was a bit strange… during the dinner somebody dropped a napkin (I can’t remember who…was it the dad?) and the camera moved to showing the legs under the table. We see Seo Yoon’s mom going barefeet taking her shoes off. I thought this was a bit peculiar considering how Seo Yoon’s mom is so into the notion of beauty, elegance and how she keeps calling her own family Royal Family. That barefeet scene makes me believe that there is something more to Seo Yoon’s mom. I’ll take a stab in the dark guessing that maybe she used to be poor…old habits are hard to break….hence we see the ‘flaw’ in an otherwise ‘perfect woman’.

More reason for me to suspect Seo Yoon’s mom background …she was so ‘brutal’ going after Seo Yoon in the room after the dinner. I doubt anybody with a refined background could be so ‘uncultured’.

Archived