Vietnamese Ulzzang?

Guest mintpanda

Guest tirahbunny

i think the reason why that Andy dude is considered an ulzzang is because he doesn't LOOK viet. not to me anyway and I'm am half vietnamese. I'll admit I rarely see any goodlooking viets. and yes, even though there is Paris By Night and all those entertainment things, the singers' fashion sense are a bit...i dont know, weird? and dont even get me started on their makeup lol. But anyway, from those pics of Andy, I wouldve thought he was Korean or japanese if I didn't know that he was viet.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly don't see why it'd be so important to make so many groups anyways. If someone's going to be popular simply for looking "cute", why would we need to categorize them into their nationalities

I guess you could just start a thread for every single one, but it kinda seems like over kill... and a tad ridiculous.

Wow, people like you need to jump in a hole. =____= There are ugly people in every ethnicity.

Even your beloved Korean/Japanese "Gods/Goddesses" that you worship. Sigh.

And wow, thats not a thing to joke about either.

i

completely

agree.

haha

don't trip about it.

anyone can be a "ulzzang/net idol"

but not everyone is.

capische?

Guest tranced_azn

Well in my opinion, I just think the whole concept of 'uhlzzang' is kinda ridiculous (lol someone's probably gonna attack me for this). I mean, you're ogling at someone's picture blog basically, and I bet a majority of them, regardless of nationality, don't exactly look like that in real life anyway. Also, the reason for these people being "famous" is so...appalling? I mean, it's so weird how they are famous for being things like cute/fobby/asian/kawaii whatever. I think the reason that there aren't many Vietnamese net idols because NOT because Vietnam doesn't have "cute" people, but Vietnam is not as obsessed at camwhoring and self picture taking as like, Korea for example. And like what someone said, I do feel that from every country, nationality etc there will be your hot/cute/sexy/smart/average people.

Guest onhotwires

I mean, it's so weird how they are famous for being things like cute/fobby/asian/kawaii whatever. I think the reason that there aren't many Vietnamese net idols because NOT because Vietnam doesn't have "cute" people, but Vietnam is not as obsessed at camwhoring and self picture taking as like, Korea for example. And like what someone said, I do feel that from every country, nationality etc there will be your hot/cute/sexy/smart/average people.

Ferreals. Maybe if photoshop was more widely distributed around Vietnam, there'd be more Viet kids posting up more "ulzzang-y" pictures.

TBH, sometimes ulzzangs make me feel like good looking people are rare to find. But then I think about all the pretty people that I see in real life, and not just Vietnamese ones or Korean ones.

I'm not trying to talk down on the whole ulzzang thing, I find it interesting most of the time, but sometimes its influence gets tiring.

Guest the-white-lily

i think the reason why that Andy dude is considered an ulzzang is because he doesn't LOOK viet. not to me anyway and I'm am half vietnamese. I'll admit I rarely see any goodlooking viets. and yes, even though there is Paris By Night and all those entertainment things, the singers' fashion sense are a bit...i dont know, weird? and dont even get me started on their makeup lol. But anyway, from those pics of Andy, I wouldve thought he was Korean or japanese if I didn't know that he was viet.

Paris By Night actually just presents the fashion sense of older oversea (well, actually American) Vietnamese...^^ Which means the singers there don't represent the fashion sense of Viet ppl so it doesn't mean all Viet look that way.

That Andy guy looks quite like a mix of Caucasian & Viet to me :D I wouldn't think he was Korean or Japanese 'cause I always think Korean and Japanese men mostly have single eye lid and not so high nose...

Guest surfinsushi

You are so funny. There is no Japanese Net Idol thread. Do you mean the Thai one? hahaha and Andy looks Vietnamese in a positive way. Why do you assume goodlooking people with Koreans, Chinese or Japanese? haha weird!

Guest tirahbunny

You are so funny. There is no Japanese Net Idol thread. Do you mean the Thai one? hahaha and Andy looks Vietnamese in a positive way. Why do you assume goodlooking people with Koreans, Chinese or Japanese? haha weird!

I'm not funny. I just didn't think he looked Vietnamese, because my perception of one is different. I DON'T assume good-looking people are Koreans, Chinese, or Japanese. Please don't put words in my mouth. No, it's not weird really because I haven't seen any full Vietnamese people that are cute in my opinion. I'm sure most people who saw his photos would think he's either mixed or something else. Him being Viet wasn't my first thought, but oh kill me please if I cannot have my own opinion!

the-white-lily: "That Andy guy looks quite like a mix of Caucasian & Viet to me biggrin.gif I wouldn't think he was Korean or Japanese 'cause I always think Korean and Japanese men mostly have single eye lid and not so high nose..."

^^ isn't that a stereotype? How you didn't think he was Korean or japanese because you think they have single eye lids and not a high nose? Just wanted to point that out. I know there are unattractive people in every race, but you made it so specific that it sounded like a stereotype. I've seen plenty of Viets who have single eyelids/slanted eyes and flat/ugly noses, it doesn't mean they're Korean or Japanese. I'm not being biased either because I'm not Korean nor Japanese.

Guest helennn

............ No. LOL. sorry, just no. Try seeing her up close. She wears like 40 lbs of

make up to look that good...

It's true! I've danced with her on Asia Entertainment once xD

She looks hideous without make up =X

[Okay, well not that bad, but she does wear lots of make up, like many other celebs!]

Sorry Trish fans. I used to be a Trish fan too,

& I even got a signed autograph. :P

Guest babyySOUL

goodlooking people these days are either

-photoshopped

- plastuc surgery

- thick layers of make up

and isn't ulzzang or uhljjang a "korean" term

and net idols? isn't it more like camwhhores???

or a more proper term 'photogenic' people?

plus vietnam is POOR

not everyone can afford plastic surgery

or double eyelids

or spend money to buy double eyelid glue

they spend money for FOOD + education

Guest le_briana

goodlooking people these days are either

-photoshopped

- plastuc surgery

- thick layers of make up

and isn't ulzzang or uhljjang a "korean" term

and net idols? isn't it more like camwhhores???

or a more proper term 'photogenic' people?

plus vietnam is POOR

not everyone can afford plastic surgery

or double eyelids

or spend money to buy double eyelid glue

they spend money for FOOD + education

mmm well most vietnamese people already have double eyelids.

but, i totally agree with the rest of you statement.

Guest babiiedoll-

wait i don't get this.. :blink: isnt Trish a singer? Then why is she regarded as an ulzzang?

I'm viet and i like her, but after seeing these pics of her... i truly don't think she's ulzzang material at all.

Too much make-up.

Guest angels.disguise

Seriously try seeing her up close. Everytime that i meet her its like WOAH. Her makeup is just like sweating off of her. WAY too much makeup. I like her singing and shes nice live but that girl needs to leave her makeup home. BTW i heard that half of the reason why she wears so much is that she got scars from a car accident and wants to hide them.

Guest p1nchmycheeks

sorrie but trish is so not an ulzzang to me. :blink: she cakes her face with make up.

I think the reason that there aren't many Vietnamese net idols because NOT because Vietnam doesn't have "cute" people, but Vietnam is not as obsessed at camwhoring and self picture taking as like, Korea for example. And like what someone said, I do feel that from every country, nationality etc there will be your hot/cute/sexy/smart/average people.

yeop, i totally agree with you.

Also, viets don't have the conditions like koreans or japanese because I don't see many of them having cameras (much more expensive than other countries).

and boy, the clothes are expensive for vietnamese community. I went there once, and i'm like o_o id rather buy it here in us because it's much cheaper haha.

My brother went to Diamond Plaza where they sold Quicksilver shorts exactly like his for more than 1 million VND (~$100) while he bought his at Ross for $10. LOL :D ridiculous.

If you notice, koreans, taiwanese and japanese have a lot of websites and stores that sell clothes people/teenagers can afford.

but we are developing, who knows people's perception about Viets might change over time ^^

Guest the-white-lily

I'm not funny. I just didn't think he looked Vietnamese, because my perception of one is different. I DON'T assume good-looking people are Koreans, Chinese, or Japanese. Please don't put words in my mouth. No, it's not weird really because I haven't seen any full Vietnamese people that are cute in my opinion. I'm sure most people who saw his photos would think he's either mixed or something else. Him being Viet wasn't my first thought, but oh kill me please if I cannot have my own opinion!

the-white-lily: "That Andy guy looks quite like a mix of Caucasian & Viet to me biggrin.gif I wouldn't think he was Korean or Japanese 'cause I always think Korean and Japanese men mostly have single eye lid and not so high nose..."

^^ isn't that a stereotype? How you didn't think he was Korean or japanese because you think they have single eye lids and not a high nose? Just wanted to point that out. I know there are unattractive people in every race, but you made it so specific that it sounded like a stereotype. I've seen plenty of Viets who have single eyelids/slanted eyes and flat/ugly noses, it doesn't mean they're Korean or Japanese. I'm not being biased either because I'm not Korean nor Japanese.

...did I say single eyelid + not so high nose= unattractive? (Bi is Korean, he has single eyelids and he is considered sizzling hot) And I didn't say Korean and Japanese men are the only ones that have single eyelid and flat nose either. I also didn't say all Korean and Japanese men have single eyelid and not so high nose, I said " I always think Korean and Japanese men mostly have single eye lid and not so high nose". So please don't put words in my mouth.

I just didn't think he looked Japanese or Korean (and he isn't Japanese or Korean indeed), because my perception of one is different.

Since I was born into a Vietnamese family with high-nosed and double-eyelided members, and also most of my Vietnamese friends have double eyelid and I myself have double eyelids, I just don't think of Vietnamese as "single-eyelided, flat nosed ppl" even though I DO know there ARE Vietnamese with single eyelids and flat noses. Actually, it's like le_briana say: "most vietnamese people already have double eyelids". Also I live in a Caucasian world so when I see that Andy, it just comes to my mind "Oh, Viet+Caucasian".

Andy looks like an americanized vietnamese~ sizzling: )

~usually in vietnam, not many people care about their looks that much.

they just wear what's comfortable.. in other asian countries i feel

like looks are more important for them. the celebs/society most likely

influences them too.

Actually by stating that you've never seen a pretty Viet before, and by stating that Andy is considered pretty because he doesn't look Viet means that a guy have to look Chinese, Koreans, or Japanese to be considered pretty to you. What does a Viet look like anyway?

I think most of the Kinh (majority Viet ethnicity) looks like southern Chinese but there are a small percentage of them that looks Southeast Asian because they have been mixing with the minority Viet ethnicities for centuries. I've seen way too many comments on youtube about how all light skinned Viet are mixed with Chinese. Uh, no, the Kinh were already light skinned they just got tanner when they moved south (hotter climate) plus they started reproducing with Cham people.

Archived