Kim So Yeon 김소연

larus

The pictorial of actor Kim So-yeon was released.
UVNFKBUWA2MCJ2MUOVBS7C2C7Y.jpg

In the released pictorial, Kim So-yeon properly harmonized the character of the ice-cold drama'Penthouse' Cheon Seo-jin with the soft charm of actor Kim So-yeon. It is said that she grabbed the set with her sharp suit styling, depressed eyes and appearance.

In the interview that followed after the photo shoot, Kim So-yeon looked back on her 26-year acting life and honestly revealed why she challenged acting as a villain after 20 years. In addition, her efforts, such as the carefully prepared process and voice change for acting the character Cheon Seo-jin, are also included in this interview.
Kim So-yeon's pictorial and interview will be revealed through the fashion magazine Arena Homme Plus December issue.

https://news.joins.com/article/23928738

Stay heathy!

• Like 1

I've always wonder how they control Covid-19 while filming during this Pandemic period. There is so much of kissing scene(Lips touching, don't know whether any tongue lashing ) between Joo Dan-Tae and Cheon Seo-Jin since beginning till now. Do both of them take Covid swap and how often ? I do noticed no others casts does that. WONDER ???

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MAHJONG KING said:

I've always wonder how they control Covid-19 while filming during this Pandemic period. There is so much of kissing scene(Lips touching, don't know whether any tongue lashing ) between Joo Dan-Tae and Cheon Seo-Jin since beginning till now. Do both of them take Covid swap and how often ? I do noticed no others casts does that. WONDER ???

I have this question in my mind too for this drama, especially ML and KSY are already married, wonder her husband lee soo woo cares about that. The last drama "mother of mine", he was a bit jealous on her kissing scene with her co star. Of course I am sure they are both very professional actor. But SK is currently quite severe in covid19 cases....... 

Question is : is that necessary for so many kissing scenes for both of them although we know they are in extra marital affair. I found three times aggressive kissing scenes are enough, or they can use angle to avoid it, but shown more will be overboard? "The World of Married" drama also did not have so many kissing scenes although they were in similar case, the husband got affair with other women. What you guys think? 

37 minutes ago, lebeaucouple said:

I have this question in my mind too for this drama, especially ML and KSY are already married, wonder her husband lee soo woo cares about that. The last drama "mother of mine", he was a bit jealous on her kissing scene with her co star. Of course I am sure they are both very professional actor. But SK is currently quite severe in covid19 cases....... 

Question is : is that necessary for so many kissing scenes for both of them although we know they are in extra marital affair. I found three times aggressive kissing scenes are enough, or they can use angle to avoid it, but shown more will be overboard? "The World of Married" drama also did not have so many kissing scenes although they were in similar case, the husband got affair with other women. What you guys think? 

Quotes From Kim So Yeon:-

Kim So Yeon shared, “I wanted to act in writer Kim Soon Ok’s work one day, so I’m honored to have this opportunity. The script is so amazing, and I know I would’ve regretted it if I hadn’t met this drama. I’m doing my best with a grateful heart.”

Then she added, “Director Joo Dong Min really loves this drama, and he puts a lot of effort into filming each scene, so I become inspired to work harder as well. Thanks to his ideas, I’m able to portray my character in a better way. I’m really grateful for his help.”

Kim So Yeon is going all out to impressed writer Kim and director Joo but forgotten the feeling of her husband Lee. Very very worrying for this couple.

• Like 1

I am glad that there are more people here commenting in this thread. The discussion is about the kissing scenes in Penthouse? :w00t:

I have alsolutely zero concerns for So yeon and Sang Woo`s marriage. Both are professional actors and undersrand the situation. Both have kissing scenes and they will have those scenes as long they will be lead actors and having rom com  or romance dramas. I always thought that So Yeon said that her husband was jealous of her kissing scenes in Mother of Mine but in reality he was not that jealous. I read an interview and he said that he is not jealous of his wife and he said one time that he will do anything a script demands without being embarassed. Of course, it is not very comfortable to watch your partner in a hot/ kissing scene, even knowing that it is just a job. If both of them can`t handle watching the significant other kissing another actor/actress on screen I am sure they will avoid watching. Or avoid taking those dramas. I am sure they have talked before accepting a particular role.

I always find it uncomfortable when I read people asking how a married actor/ actress can do a particular scene or telling that because of their marrige status they should not do a role or a scene. Actors act what is on the script, they get in a role  and it is sad if they are cast or not because of their marriage status and not because of their talent.  So Yeon doesn`t want to impress the writer or PD when she is doing these scenes. She is doing these kissing scenes because they are on the script, because she has a responsability as an actress when she signed a contract. I don`t know if it was s good move to accept Kim Sun ok`s drama. So far she is praised for her acting, for her beauty, she gets the spotlight because this drama has good ratings but I can`t help to feel that she deserved a better drama. Like any actors, she wanted a intense character to play. I wanted for her to play such character but in a quality drama. Fingers crossed that everything will be very well for her.

Turning back to Penthouse. I already commented that So yeon had kissing scenes in every single episode. Now we are at episode 8 and again, in every episode Seo Jin and Jo Dan tae are kissing. The other cast doesn`t have those scenes because they are not "in hots" for each other. I said (half joking , half serious) that Soyeon had more passional kissing scenes in Penthouse than her entire acting career. She had a few passional kissing scenes but sometimes she did not have these scenes even if the script could demand that. I personally was dissapointed that we did not have even a romantic scene in Mother of Mine. Not even a proper kiss. Instead, Kim Sun ok gave her villains (because they are the villains- one of the reasons) many kissing scenes. They are spending more time kissing than ploting evil things. Why? In my opinion because the writer Kim Sun ok wants to shock. She wants rating more than she wants to tell a story. I don`t find anything valuable in this script. Her characters don`t do anything important (the same with the villains). I gave up this drama and watching only So yeon`s scenes when I realised that the writing is driving me crazy. Everything is exagerated in this drama. Characters, situations. I am beyond annoyed even with the supposed good people. I don`t even hate the villains anymore.  Instead of building the characters, give them layers, qualities and flaws to feel like real people and engaging the viewers in the story, we see just shocking actions from majority of the characters, random evil scenes, crazy behaviour one after another. Why so many kissing scene? The writer needs to fill the time. She has 20 episodes to fill the time. What the villains did so far? They cheated. They kidnapped Seol Ah just because she knew about the cheating. That`s the big crime they wanted to cover. (Funny how  the writer made them meeting in places that have huge windows for people to catch them. LOL. ) And Seo jin plotted a little more to make her daughter succesful. I should be happy that the writer treated Seo jin a little better, letting us  know more about her, seing her family.  I like how she blackmailed her lover when their interest collided. Now that almost every character knows about the afair, the kissing scenes will decrease. But what they will do to fill the time?  What other evil things they will do? Perhaps want to get rid of their partners (at least Jo Dan tae). I predict that Seo jin will want her husband back when she sees that her rival and her husband will become close (she will not want her rival to have him either). She will make her daughter more crazy with her demands. Why there is a need for a second season? To see how the villains are punished and to make ratings with another shocking scenes. Where is the story? The writer will drag everything with insignificant situations (just like majority of the scenes) instead of taking care of each characters. Meanwhile, the writer will fill the time with more shocking situations/ scenes, sometimes just random. The end.

There is no comparation between Penthouse and  The World of Married or Sky Castle. For me anyway.  Both had makjang situations but their scripts had substance. I enjoyed watching The World of Married and Sky Castle, I can`t stand Penthouse or other dramas of writer Kim Sun Ok. I am sad that So yeon has to film another 8-9 months for the second season. There are so many dramas that I am looking forward next year (with many veteran actors and actresses) and sadly, So yeon`s drama is not one of them.

• Like 1

GOD! Good news for those who love Penthouse. Not only they add one episode to season 1 but they want to make season 2 and three with total of 12 episodes each? 4 more episodes than it was already planed? :o

tenor.gif

My worst kdrama nightmare.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, larus said:

Actors act what is on the script, they get in a role  and it is sad if they are cast or not because of their marriage status and not because of their talent.  So Yeon doesn`t want to impress the writer or PD when she is doing these scenes. She is doing these kissing scenes because they are on the script, because she has a responsibility as an actress when she signed a contract. 

Not all actors are acting according to the script, the A-star and veteran actors, like KSY or other experience ones (too many to name) should be able to negotiate by discussing with the writer and PD before the start of the filming scene (we can see those often during the BTS) - it is only make sense if it can help the scenes/plot and storyline flow logically, and not overboard. Unless the actors themselves agree and accept the scene after their discussion, so it is not compulsory for the experience ones to follow accordingly to the script. (FYI, script can be amended and adjusted depend on situation and agreeable by all parties, that's why we can see some argument between them at the filming scene from the news, and either the PD resigned or actors dropped up).

It really depends on the character of the writer and PD as well as the actors, how open-mind they are if they can exchange views for the sake of the drama. Moreover, some A-star actors can even request to change script based on the necessary requirements of the storyline that are agreeable by the writer. Because I remember I had ever seen some interviews mentioning it from the experience actors. So it is not true that you mentioned above. Only the greenhorn actors are required to follow the script to act.

Actors alone can be very passive to a certain degree, it is only when the right script and the PD come in play, all these important elements can create sparks, it is exactly how the "Its Okay to not be Okay" and "The World of Married" drama became so popular in worldwide. Some movies are not well received, is because the major problem was the storyline had too many plot holes and inconsistency, it was nothing to do with actor's acting skill, it was the storyline and PD that need to play a part. Same goes to many A-star actors and actresses, if storyline is too weak, it will fully waste the talents of those actors. I have seen too many failed cases for A-star actors/actresses.

In short, a successful drama should put in place with the key essential elements, actors' skills plus the writer's good script and the PD. 

I always thought that So Yeon said that her husband was jealous of her kissing scenes in Mother of Mine but in reality he was not that jealous. I read an interview and he said that he is not jealous of his wife and he said one time that he will do anything a script demands without being embarrassed.

What KSY did on "Mother of Mine"  is purely French kiss...Lip touching but Penthouse, I can't imagine. Which couple will admit that they be jealous being interview by the media ? But deep inside their heart...bleeding.

In short, a successful drama should put in place with the key essential elements, actors' skills plus the writer's good script and the PD. 

Well spoken.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

(FYI, script can be amended and adjusted depend on situation and agreeable by all parties, that's why we can see some argument between them at the filming scene from the news, and either the PD resigned or actors dropped up).

While I see how some actors indeed protest when they saw the changes in the scripts and where the character is deaded, I don`t think it is the case here. Plus, So yeon is not the person to make scandal. When that happends, the actors is usual the one who leave or lost in most cases.

If So yeon accepted the script or the PD and writer point of view, why is the problem? The kissing scenes are many (I agree with that) but I don`t see how it is inappropriate for her as an actor to kiss on screen. And some people are acusing her that she doesn`t care about her husband. Why is the husband involved, like she did an imoral thing? If Uhm Ki joon would have been married we would have heard the same complaint?

People noticed that the drama is using excessively these scenes and probably the writer and PD will know that what is too much will become redundant eventually. That is my problem and not that I see her kissing on screen.

I will be more than happy if she will drop this drama or the writer will decide that her character is not needed. But it is a hit drama right now and I don`t see happening. No matter how well does on rating and how much it is a success, for me this drama is the worst she did. I hope she will not do other crazy makjang kind of drama in the future.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, larus said:

While I see how some actors indeed protest when they saw the changes in the scripts and where the character is deaded, I don`t think it is the case here. Plus, So yeon is not the person to make scandal. When that happends, the actors is usual the one who leave or lost in most cases.

If So yeon accepted the script or the PD and writer point of view, why is the problem? The kissing scenes are many (I agree with that) but I don`t see how it is inappropriate for her as an actor to kiss on screen. And some people are acusing her that she doesn`t care about her husband. Why is the husband involved, like she did an imoral thing? If Uhm Ki joon would have been married we would have heard the same complaint?

People noticed that the drama is using excessively these scenes and probably the writer and PD will know that what is too much will become redundant eventually. That is my problem and not that I see her kissing on screen.

I will be happy if she will drop this drama or the writer will decide that her character is not needed. But it is a hit right now and I don`t see happening.

My dear you missed out the point :D My highlighted msg above is not meant for Penthouse case but its from the general point of view that the script generally can be adjusted if there is a pre-discussion and agreeable among the actor, PD and the writer. :) I am not referring to the case for change of script by writer without telling the actors. Of course once KSY chose to accept the script for that particular scene, she will need to follow whatever the writer/PD told her to. Her kind hearted and easy-going character will definitely fit into any working environment and not to create any chaos or scandal.

Generally, aside from the penthouse case, (not to confuse you), it really depends on the relationship among them and character traits of the writer and PD as well as the actors, whether they wish to exchange views for the sake of the drama storyline depending how open minded they are. There is no hard and fast rule or strictly based on the actor's contract signed, the script and the prepared of the scene can be open discussed and negotiated between the parties, but under the condition that both parties must be willing to talk and discuss. I learnt this from the lawyer. :)

• Insightful 1

Here, i want to tell how i become disappointed with Sso villain Character in Penthouse.

Actually, at first i was excited to see Sso playing villain role again in 20 years but it turned out bit disappointment. It is because her character lack in development and has no depth . I think writer puts many characters and she can’t probably handle well all the character logically . Let’s say our Sso character,

she is main villain in these drama.

I want her to be more evil , mean with strong reason behind. Now wht she does is only cheating, arguing with her husband, very hot-tempered and threat to her daughter with big eyes.  I mean it has no layers in her character and it wastes her acting skill .I want 3 dimensional character like her previous villain character Young-mi 

not just always shouting and angry like she does in PH.

Now i think lee ji ah character has more layer. She is more scheming and has two face . She acts normal in front of her husband but secretly planning all evil things behind.

It has more depth and interesting character i think.

I always  no doubt on Sso acting as she can portray anything . She just needs well-written character . 

Huu.. it has two season , i hope she dropped it or writer needs to give her more well-written villain  parts not just let her do ridiculous things and messing around the plot with non-sense things.

• Like 3

I want her to be more evil , mean with strong reason behind. Now wht she does is only cheating, arguing with her husband, very hot-tempered and threat to her daughter with big eyes.  I mean it has no layers in her character and it wastes her acting skill .I want 3 dimensional character like her previous villain character Young-mi 

I strongly agreed with you especially at the mechanical room when she interrogate Min Seol A. Sso eyes will so big and round that i worry her eyeballs might fell off.  Ha haha.

4 hours ago, dsgam95 said:

Here, i want to tell how i become disappointed with Sso villain Character in Penthouse.

Actually, at first i was excited to see Sso playing villain role again in 20 years but it turned out bit disappointment. It is because her character lack in development and has no depth . I think writer puts many characters and she can’t probably handle well all the character logically . Let’s say our Sso character,

she is main villain in these drama.

not just always shouting and angry like she does in PH.

You are not alone. I said it already after episode 2 that this drama is disappointing for me and that her villainess in Penthouse doesn`t hold a candle to her previous evil character. I did not like All About Eve as a genre so I did not watch the whole drama but I read about her character and saw her scenes. Actually, her role as Heo Young Mi was well written. We could understand her motive, why she behave like that, the audience could hate her but still emphatized with her.

Everything is exagerated in Penthouse. The villains are a charicature. The main villains are just having hot dates and from time to time they smash things. Out of the blue we see them plotting.

About Seo Jin... alright, she has an inferiority complex versus Yoon Hee but that`s exagerated as well. The moment she cut her throat (BTW, she was provoked and I could not felt sympathy for Yoon Hee at all) she became powerful over her rival. I don`t know why Yoon hee is so arogant in front of Seo jin (she knows she was better than her in high school?) because she did not accomplish in life anything better than Seo jin. Why Seo jin trembles in front of her now? She has a solid career, was succesful, she was a good soprono, she is rich and beautiful.

Now she has the obsession to make her daughter succesful because she wants her to inherit the fundation. She could not do that without being a soprano?  Everyone else wants their child to be a classical musician why not Seo Jin? :lol: Eun Byeol is not natural talented and needs lots of work to get the good results. Seo Jin as a mother is abusive and we don`t see anything else. She pushes her to be better and even fakes her daughter`s grades. She cheated but she will fight her former rival to not lose her husband as well. OK that`s season 1. What she will do in the other seasons?

I don`t want to talk about Jo Dan tae`s motivations. The writer made him crazy and that`s it.

I don`t know much about the other character but in my opinion, there aren`t better written characters in this drama.

I did not watch So yeon`s scenes in the last two episodes. I am looking foprward to see the fashion. That`s it.

4 hours ago, dsgam95 said:

Huu.. it has two season , i hope she dropped it or writer needs to give her more well-written villain  parts not just let her do ridiculous things and messing around the plot with non-sense things.

Unfortunetly she will be in the next two seasons. Two seasons of 12 episodes but still a lot of effort and time to shoot this drama. It is good that you can be optimistic (still hoping for a well written character). I lost all my hopes.

Take care!

@MAHJONG KING, why not use the quote button? If you want to quote just a little part, select the text and than quote the selection part. In my opinion is is better for us to read. It is just a suggestion.

8 minutes ago, MAHJONG KING said:

I strongly agreed with you especially at the mechanical room when she interrogate Min Seol A. Sso eyes will so big and round that i worry her eyeballs might fell off.  Ha haha.

I understand the fact that her character is hot-tempered , rich and arrogant lady but does she need to go that far?

She already had strong face bone structure , cold vibe and villain charisma  in her face , no need to that shout like her eyes balls might fall.

I am just sad it doesn’t turn out as i expected , very charisma villain to highlights her career as another villain mile stone like young-mi.Now at this point, Cheon Seo Jin cannot even compare to Young-Mi. YM is more well-written character. If the rest  seasons going like that for Sso character, it just waste her time and skill.

2 hours ago, dsgam95 said:

I understand the fact that her character is hot-tempered , rich and arrogant lady but does she need to go that far?

She already had strong face bone structure , cold vibe and villain charisma  in her face , no need to that shout like her eyes balls might fall.

Yes, Seo Jin doesn`t compare to Young Mi. I remember when So yeon said that she is practising the angry scenes in the mirror and she talked about the big eyes. :D It was not necessary for all the screaming (in a normal drama) and yet, everyone screams. Like it is a contest who yells the best. It looks like all the characters in Penthouse are on steroids. For me anyway. :lol: The plot is over the place, the situations are over the top, the characters, over the top and the acting is the same. I noticed that the men (who have powerful voices) can scream better. Some people (especially women) have a high pitched voice and they have to be carefully how high they can reach the voice because their voice can crack. The advantage to those who have a trained singing voice! 

I noticed that So yeon`s voice crached a little when she had the second big fight with her husband (I think). In the last fight scene (what I saw on You Tube, when he broke a glass or something) he screamed with all his might, but his voice could sustain that scream. I don`t know what they said in the scene but that`s all I was thinking: that he can yell very well. This is the drama Penthouse for me. :tears:

• Like 1