Playstation 3

Guest TrainDriver

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im still contemplating whether or not to buy ps3 in the first few months or not... 599US converted to CAD is alot of money.. -__-....

If and when I do get a PS3, it will NOT be at launch. I'm about to throw $599 away on a console that can possibly be shoddier than many of the 360's that messed up during Holiday season 05.

Guest 1SwtDeception

haha...

I've been technically misinformed by MY GS instead of the corporate one. Apparently you can't take orders for PS3 till Oct. taken from employees working at GS/EB. But who knows you still have Gamecrazy =P.

Here is better news for PS3er..

http://www.gametrailers.com/viewnews.php?id=3238

...On the Differences Between the 20- and 60-GB PS3 Models

"The main differences are the 60 gig drive and the 20 gig drive in terms of disc storage. The 20 gig has HD component rather than HDMI. The 60 gig machine has additionally memory card slots on it, which are great for archiving photo and other content. But the 20 gig machine has USB ports so you can get all the functionality with external devices."

...On Whether the 20-GB PS3 Will Fully Support Blu-Ray

The $599 60 GB PS3 (top) looks different from the $499 20 GB PS3 (bottom)

"That seems to be a misunderstanding and I'm happy to clear that up. Both machines have Blue Ray disc as standard. Both machines play Blue Ray disc movies as standard. Both machines will play Blue Ray disc movies as HD. The only difference is that the high end machine uses a more convenient digital interconnect called HDMI which is a digital standard and the 20 gig unit uses HD component which is an analog standard. The picture quality is fantastic."

"The end user will not notice any quality difference. Perhaps if you were projecting onto a gi-normous screen you might notice some difference, but also not every HD display has HDMI. So we're providing a choice to the consumer."

"Both versions will support 1080p."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=16934

Following the announcement that Sony plans to launch two versions of the PS3, Phil Harrison has denied reports that the 20GB model will feature lower technical specs than the 60GB version.

"What we should be clear about is that the functionality is identical in both machines. There is no difference in what the machine does," he told BBC News.

Confusion arose after Sony Japan issued a spec sheet which appeared to indicate that the 20GB PS3 would not feature Wi-Fi, HDMI output or inputs for data storage cards. But according to Harrison, both versions will support high definition output: "It's just that the technical method of extracting audio and video from the devices is slightly different."

Difference in 20 and 60 GB packs? -- YEA

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=16760

According to Sony's latest spec sheet, the 20GB PS3 will not feature inputs for memory sticks, SD or compact flash cards. Nor will it offer any Wi-Fi options or any HDMI output.

The 60GB PS3 will come with a single HDMI port - and not two, as the prototype shown at last year's E3 suggested. The prototype also featured three Ethernet ports and six USB ports, but the console unveiled yesterday has just one Ethernet and four USB ports.

The $499 would definitely be for the people who really plays PS3 for the games since yes that 20 GB is for saving games and 60 GB is like dl a bunch of stuff and has all the technological flavor that I adore ;].

PS3 too cheap? -- Credits to Cappy Cobra

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=16971

SCEI president Ken Kutaragi has defended the PlayStation 3's high price tag once again, declaring that not only will consumers be prepared to pay the cost but that the console is "probably too cheap."

In an interview with Japanese website IT Media, partially translated by IGN, Kutaragi said: "This is the PS3 price. Expensive, cheap - we don't want you to think of it in terms of game machines."

"For instance," Kutaragi continued, "Is it not nonsense to compare the charge for dinner at the company cafeteria with dinner at a fine restaurant? It's a question of what you can do with that game machine. If you can have an amazing experience, we believe price is not a problem."

Kutaragi reiterated comments he made earlier regarding the original PlayStation, which he says was also considered too expensive at launch.

"Same for the PlayStation 2," Kutaragi said.

"However, when released, both had sales that were unthinkable for previous game machines. This is because both offered experiences that could not be had on previous machines."

Like its predecessors, PS3 will also offer brand new experiences, he continued: "Things like next-generation graphics and various services via the network. And, as with the PS and PS2, we believe people who like games will, without question, purchase it."

The PS3 is set for a global launch this November, priced at USD 499 / EURO 499 for the 20GB version and USD 599 / EURO 599 for the 60GB model. Kutaragi dismissed suggestions from the likes of Microsoft's Peter Moore that Sony will be unable to meet its shipment targets in time - the company has said that it plans to deliver 2 million PS3 units by the end of the year, with a further 2 million arriving by April.

"Of course, this is a number that we announced having made sure we can definitely prepare it," Kutaragi said.

"There is the possibility of unexpected problems like earthquake or theft, so I won't say it's absolute. But if this type of trouble does not occur, there's no problem with this number."

GT used on PC?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31681

I find there is no proof .. picture wise, but it's always interesting to hear.

I hope this isn't true.. just like the BLU-RAY Demo for VAIO's 10 year birthday..

In an interview with Japanese website IT Media, partially translated by IGN, Kutaragi said: "This is the PS3 price. Expensive, cheap - we don't want you to think of it in terms of game machines."

The fact that PS3 is not even considered a gaming machine irks me to no end.

Guest CK92842

1080p over component is a bit misleading, the problem is that HDTVs need new hardware to display it. Component video cables will go to a horizontal resolution of 2160 @ 30 frames per second in very short distances (1 meter or less) but it will send the video through its pipe. With that said it shouldn't even matter because it was already stated the the first batch of games will output a maximum of 720p. The whole 1080p is possible talk was a bit overkill, I expect it on games that don't demand alot of resources on the system but don't expect it on a title like say Resident Evil 5 or Metal Gear Solid 4. <_<

Guest res0nate

HDMI 1.3 > 1.2 and under haha. Being an early adopter does not bode well if you plan on getting a ps3.

599 US IS! cheap if the Canadian dollar still holds strong like it has been for quite some time. There are ways to get around the ridiculous "currency" when it comes to certain things.

Guest Take Five

gah, the line between reality and virtual reality is blurring. that 2nd pic looks so realistic =X

Guest IMAJynXed1

omg! i just recently read about Heavy Rain in a magazine and watched to see how it looks...man those screens are fantastic!!

its by the same group who did Indigo Prophecy...so you know itll be different and a quality game...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TrainDriver

i was planning to get one at launch, but i'm gonna reconsider. $999 AUD for the 60gb? gee, i could buy a Wii and x360 for that price.

Guest monaero

I'm going to do like I did with the PS2. I'm going to wait and buy it when the price is lowered. It does look nice and it's supposed to get around region coding, so that's a big tempter.

Guest Strawberry Boba Tea

I would love for a scary game to be the quality of Heavy Rain up there (assuming that the graphics differ by game producers). It makes me all giddy inside already.

:D

Guest CK92842

Here's a preview of the PS3 Dashboard

PS3 Dashboard Preview

As much as I dislike the PS3, I have to say that dashboard is quite nice. Better than the 360 version hands down. I'm beginning to wonder, what if blu-ray meets a similar fate as UMD discs...will Sony cutback on costs and deliver a PS3 without a blu-ray player? I'll wait a year and a half until I decide to fork over some good money on this system.

I would love for a scary game to be the quality of Heavy Rain up there (assuming that the graphics differ by game producers). It makes me all giddy inside already.

:D

I'm hoping Resident Evil 5 will be shown at the Tokyo Game Show. B)

i was planning to get one at launch, but i'm gonna reconsider. $999 AUD for the 60gb? gee, i could buy a Wii and x360 for that price.

if u only want it for gaming purpose, the 20gb one is enough.

Archived