Playstation 3

Guest TrainDriver

Guest Tetra

It's over-rated before it's even released -_-

Seriously, every new console that's coming out is like a mini-computer in itself >___>

"oh no's, fear my 20 gb PS3 hard-drive".

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest instantnoodlez

hmm i believe M$ needs to sell 2-3 games per 360 to make up for how much money they're losing and speculation goes that Sony is going to need to sell 4-5 games per PS3 to make up for their losses. true or not, i think sony is going to be at a disadvantage because it's going to be inevitably expensive.

"[PS3] is not a game machine. We've never once called it a game machine. I'm not going to reveal [the PS3's] price today. I'm going to only say that it'll be expensive. I'm aware that with all these technologies, the PS3 can't be offered at a price that's targeted towards households." father of the playstation, Ken Kutaragi (got from ign) <----lol if that's his opinion, then who is sony targeting if not households?

hmm i believe M$ needs to sell 2-3 games per 360 to make up for how much money they're losing and speculation goes that Sony is going to need to sell 4-5 games per PS3 to make up for their losses. true or not, i think sony is going to be at a disadvantage because it's going to be inevitably expensive.

"[PS3] is not a game machine. We've never once called it a game machine. I'm not going to reveal [the PS3's] price today. I'm going to only say that it'll be expensive. I'm aware that with all these technologies, the PS3 can't be offered at a price that's targeted towards households." father of the playstation, Ken Kutaragi (got from ign) <----lol if that's his opinion, then who is sony targeting if not households?

Not a game machine, eh? I'm a gamer... Why would I want something thats not considered a game machine?

Guest 1SwtDeception

Not a game machine, eh? I'm a gamer... Why would I want something thats not considered a game machine?

Because they want you to have the "poor man's blu ray player". It has everything!!! It's SOOO convient! It has FINAL FANTASY WITH the ability to make toast and massage your feet. This is why I keep thinking that the PS3 is just some technological device with a FEATURE of games to play on- not the focus of playing games.

Don't talk about what is considered a gaming system -- look at PSP.. it's the greatest GAMING handheld Sony brought out.

Because they want you to have the "poor man's blu ray player". It has everything!!! It's SOOO convient! It has FINAL FANTASY WITH the ability to make toast and massage your feet. This is why I keep thinking that the PS3 is just some technological device with a FEATURE of games to play on- not the focus of playing games.

Don't talk about what is considered a gaming system -- look at PSP.. it's the greatest GAMING handheld Sony brought out.

Thats why I choose not to go with Sony in this console war... I guess games won't be focus of the system since it is apparently not a gaming machine... WTF is that? Gamers are want a machine whose main focus is GAMES! Not mp3, dvd, playability, and computer like access! The PSP is pretty much like that and thats why it FAILS... If the PS3 is just going to be a more graphically capable console version of the PSP, I have no reason to buy it... Unless all of my favorite companies make games for the PS3 forcing me to buy one...

As for "This is why I keep thinking that the PS3 is just some technological device with a FEATURE of games to play on- not the focus of playing games" I give you this...

Old/10 but still...

sonyforeman.jpg

Guest ~fantasygurl~

^ lol that's hilirious, hahaha....

are they going to make one like that or is it just a photo thing?

yeah , anyways they say that they're going to make a new controller for ps3 and it's gonna look like a boomerang or something?

i think that's the bad part and the system is not gonna probably have a fan like the ps2 does so the ps3 system might not last or go that long or something like that

there has been speculation that it would cost 350$ USD but another group said that it may even be up to 800$ because of the cost of parts.

this is all mostly rumor anyway. I see it costing about 500$ usd when it launches.

and for ff7, though I want it to happen, I have a feeling they aren't going to do it @@"

They might make it $800 because of the hardware needed for the larger memory on discs. I think they said they could fit 10-40 GBs on the discs. So the games are going to be uber long and the graphics will be nice.

Guest xiLLeNtz

*laugh* confirmed reports by sony.. only 1million units available for the GLOBAL launch in november? wow this is going to be crazy. gl getting one guys

Guest res0nate

Still sticking to the <500 prices. I'd rather pay more for games to offset a more stable system price. 800.. lol, look at what happened to other systems that had initial prices that exceeded 500. 3d0, NeoGeo and iirc, even the Jaguar. Even the NG carts were ridiculous, 100+, it doesn't help that only a handful of games were good.

Guest aaandy

Gamers are want a machine whose main focus is GAMES! Not mp3, dvd, playability, and computer like access!

What makes the PS3 different than any other console coming out then? With these extra features it doesn't limit them, it actually broadens what they can do.

Guest 1SwtDeception

What makes the PS3 different than any other console coming out then? With these extra features it doesn't limit them, it actually broadens what they can do.

Sadly the extra feautures aren't what people are looking at, it's ALL that they're looking at. (Yea yea you can argue "I want the PS3 for the games!", but I'll just explain).

Arguing for the fact that yes it broaden them that's why our technology grows more and more. But it also lose the thought of what I'm I getting this for again for a lot of extra features? haha I just think of the PSP everytime I wonder what people get that thing for. Is it games or UMD/online interaction/piracy crap? Most of the games on there will be on the PS2 as well. But that's a handheld.

PS3 and Xbox 360 are all about technology. Using it to the fullest for both the games and the consumers. When I say they're all about technology I'm talking hardware. Softwares are a different story. Look at the 360 and PS3 they have HD capability. I think it's great for them. All three systems are going to have backward capability and have some kind of "backlog" of games from their previous systems. Their controllers are different. They all have some kind of internet connection and 3rd parties support. They all have extra features. What makes PS3 so different from the other systems is the focus of power.

PS3 I think has the most powerful hardware. Second is 360 and lastly is the Rev. Because the PS3 is the most powerful, people tend to go for the best right? or the best they can with their wallet. Why? "HD figures, Blu Ray, fast processor chip". I mean in Variety magazine it's called the "poor man's blu ray" considering how much the blu-ray player cost ($999). It's great you have "nice graphics" because yes it's like a computer, you rather have like 4.0 GHz than 1.0 GHz. But you can have only so much right?

Taking a look at the "least powerful system" the Revolution, it has all that is can have to play a game. It doesn't have the best technology that you see in the 360 and PS3-- which are basically the extra features. Yet Nintendo is going to make a system that would still be playable. Does it matter it isn't the "best graphics" they have? Nope not really. Would having HD make it better? Probably. Is it necessary? NO.

I view Sony as "just some technological device with a FEATURE of games to play on- not the focus of playing games" and sadly hearing what Kutaragi said about the PS3 makes me laugh.

"[PS3] is not a game machine. We've never once called it a game machine. I'm not going to reveal [the PS3's] price today. I'm going to only say that it'll be expensive. I'm aware that with all these technologies, the PS3 can't be offered at a price that's targeted towards households." father of the playstation, Ken

Kutaragi (Thanks instantnoodlez for the reminder of Kutaragi's awesome quote)

Also that lovely picture of the grill works on SO MANY LEVELS (or just a few ;] ).

So all that feauture that Sony has just make it into a "non-gamer's machine". Which takes away the focus of it. I know Sony has the PS3 for gaming purposes - of course you just can't forget our beloved Final Fantasy or GT- but is that what the PS3 is now? Just a non-gamer's machine?

You might as well criticise all of world today. We want things more convinent for us so we combine them. That's not always the best way. Look at the cereal bar.. does that beat up good ol' milk, bowl, and spoon? (I'm only saying that cause I'm hungry -.-). So yes extra features are good because it widen our horizon

and what makes it different from other consoles? Most powerful/features = takes away the focus of playing games (like turning it into a computer).

Of course you can argue in about the computer as the "greatest console", but please those are the most useless arguments ever. If you don't understand why arguing in the PC is better than all consoles, don't even bother.

Sorry for the full throttle explaining, only trying to get my point in =]

Also according to Wall Street (from the EGM April06) the PS3 should be set to $500. So that's a good thing for PS3 fans. If you could get your hands on it.

Sadly the extra feautures aren't what people are looking at, it's ALL that they're looking at. (Yea yea you can argue "I want the PS3 for the games!", but I'll just explain).

Arguing for the fact that yes it broaden them that's why our technology grows more and more. But it also lose the thought of what I'm I getting this for again for a lot of extra features? haha I just think of the PSP everytime I wonder what people get that thing for. Is it games or UMD/online interaction/piracy crap? Most of the games on there will be on the PS2 as well. But that's a handheld.

PS3 and Xbox 360 are all about technology. Using it to the fullest for both the games and the consumers. When I say they're all about technology I'm talking hardware. Softwares are a different story. Look at the 360 and PS3 they have HD capability. I think it's great for them. All three systems are going to have backward capability and have some kind of "backlog" of games from their previous systems. Their controllers are different. They all have some kind of internet connection and 3rd parties support. They all have extra features. What makes PS3 so different from the other systems is the focus of power.

PS3 I think has the most powerful hardware. Second is 360 and lastly is the Rev. Because the PS3 is the most powerful, people tend to go for the best right? or the best they can with their wallet. Why? "HD figures, Blu Ray, fast processor chip". I mean in Variety magazine it's called the "poor man's blu ray" considering how much the blu-ray player cost ($999). It's great you have "nice graphics" because yes it's like a computer, you rather have like 4.0 GHz than 1.0 GHz. But you can have only so much right?

Taking a look at the "least powerful system" the Revolution, it has all that is can have to play a game. It doesn't have the best technology that you see in the 360 and PS3-- which are basically the extra features. Yet Nintendo is going to make a system that would still be playable. Does it matter it isn't the "best graphics" they have? Nope not really. Would having HD make it better? Probably. Is it necessary? NO.

I view Sony as "just some technological device with a FEATURE of games to play on- not the focus of playing games" and sadly hearing what Kutaragi said about the PS3 makes me laugh.

"[PS3] is not a game machine. We've never once called it a game machine. I'm not going to reveal [the PS3's] price today. I'm going to only say that it'll be expensive. I'm aware that with all these technologies, the PS3 can't be offered at a price that's targeted towards households." father of the playstation, Ken

Kutaragi (Thanks instantnoodlez for the reminder of Kutaragi's awesome quote)

Also that lovely picture of the grill works on SO MANY LEVELS (or just a few ;] ).

So all that feauture that Sony has just make it into a "non-gamer's machine". Which takes away the focus of it. I know Sony has the PS3 for gaming purposes - of course you just can't forget our beloved Final Fantasy or GT- but is that what the PS3 is now? Just a non-gamer's machine?

You might as well criticise all of world today. We want things more convinent for us so we combine them. That's not always the best way. Look at the cereal bar.. does that beat up good ol' milk, bowl, and spoon? (I'm only saying that cause I'm hungry -.-). So yes extra features are good because it widen our horizon

and what makes it different from other consoles? Most powerful/features = takes away the focus of playing games (like turning it into a computer).

Of course you can argue in about the computer as the "greatest console", but please those are the most useless arguments ever. If you don't understand why arguing in the PC is better than all consoles, don't even bother.

Sorry for the full throttle explaining, only trying to get my point in =]

Also according to Wall Street (from the EGM April06) the PS3 should be set to $500. So that's a good thing for PS3 fans. If you could get your hands on it.

Very well said and I agree with it all.

Guest res0nate

First of all, it's all about what games each system offers and how it handles each one when it comes to ports or exclusives. When the ps2 came out, having it as a dvd player was a BIG bonus to a lot of ppl.

As for the pc > console debate, there'll always be ppl that'll say Halo is a poormans FPS (I'm one of them) not to mention playing on a pad is horrible when they can offer a proper kb / mouse support. Also when it comes to multi ports, if I have the choice between a game that's on all 3 consoles + pc, what would I personally pick?

PC hands down, initially there's always a chance of whether you've got the right hardware to play it; but patches + the mod scene > wysiwyg product on console in the long run.

I don't mind all the extra features that the ps3 offers; cos I actually have use for them instead of thinking of it as a weak attempt at a dvd player (or wtvr else) that required extra hardware.

Anyways, I'll be picking one up bc of what games are offered; everything else is just a bonus to me.

Guest 1SwtDeception

First of all, it's all about what games each system offers and how it handles each one when it comes to ports or exclusives. When the ps2 came out, having it as a dvd player was a BIG bonus to a lot of ppl.

As for the pc > console debate, there'll always be ppl that'll say Halo is a poormans FPS (I'm one of them) not to mention playing on a pad is horrible when they can offer a proper kb / mouse support. Also when it comes to multi ports, if I have the choice between a game that's on all 3 consoles + pc, what would I personally pick?

PC hands down, initially there's always a chance of whether you've got the right hardware to play it; but patches + the mod scene > wysiwyg product on console in the long run.

I don't mind all the extra features that the ps3 offers; cos I actually have use for them instead of thinking of it as a weak attempt at a dvd player (or wtvr else) that required extra hardware.

Anyways, I'll be picking one up bc of what games are offered; everything else is just a bonus to me.

Could I HUG YOU for the first line you introducted? I'm kidding.

If that's all everyone is so hyped about is the PS3 is going to be better because the PS2 was then, where isn there a strong hype for the Revolution? We're going to get EA too. Atlus, Nippon, Activision, Square Enix, Tecmo and more. Why no love? Yes it is "mysterious" and no one knows anything (we can wait for E3 for it).

But Nintendo had great support before and did fine before, so just because of one generation "failing" doesn't mean it will be in the future you know?

Gamecube I know got the shaft of it. They had the Capcom 5. Look at the popular Viewtiful Joe and RE4. What the crackin F. See it was orginailly an EXCLUSIVE for GC, it would have been wonderful to stay there. But they port that to the PS2. Yea yea the great popularity of it. But Gamecube had some 3rd party support and see there are 3rd party support for the Revolution. Of course the hype isn't that big because it's blinded by other factors. Or people just don't recognize it or understand it. I'm seriously hopeing for Revolution exclusives ( with the gameplay I think it would be anyways ).

Personally Nintendo has been doing fine with its own support, having 3rd parties just gathers more masses and that's what they're doing with the Revolution. Seriously if all the RPGs, FPS, etc went onto the Revolution then yea it would be a great console (or a monolply console). Playstation ususally is known for its 3rd party support and if they switch over to Nintendo... down goes the "game supporters" for Sony if they do follow the games. So that's why some 3rd parties are going over (it is interesting =P).

I think 360 had Blu rays.. I'm not sure. haha it's that hype of technology is exactly what's pushing it for me. I think it's great to have it. Yea with the PS2 and the DVD progressive scan it's great. But for me I never even used my PS2 for that. So yea it's like a great bonus, but it still going to be used as something else other than "games". I think if they didn't have the player in it and they sold it for like $400 or $300, Sony's sale would be blown up the roof. Sheesh it's "not even a gaming machine".

Yea I know the Revolution is up to speed with a DVD player in it. I'm sure by now most of the world has it. So sales would be based on price. And I think for under $200 (since it doesn't have fancy hardware) it's a steal. I am worried on games and extra stuff, but I think we all have to worry on that anyways with the consoles.

The only reason I HATE the PC and console mixture is because PC you can constantly upgrade while the consoles comes out every few years (too soon if you ask me at times but meh). So PC is in a league of its own as of the consoles are in its own league (not really moreso "model" after the computers). It's like God (PLEASE DON'T GO INTO A RELIGIOUS FRENZY) and humans. God is like the PC and consoles are like human. Humans can only get so far to being God. Consoles can't always change (kind of funny thinking about the Nintendo handhelds though).

Oh and thanks sHiNHaWk for agreeing! I'm sure you could have state it more umm beautifully. And nice FF8 love ;] I would have found more giggles if you put the "almighty awesomest FF7".

Guest res0nate

Here's the problem w/the GC, as good as their 1st party games were and having exclusives for a good few years until an eventual port, they didn't have enough third party support. Not to mention having a controller that hurt certain ports / genres and the media storage. Sure, they had great games, too bad it wasn't enough.

I'm glad that Nin is still in the game, they offer a variety of games + creativity you don't always get from MS and Sony.

Pretty sure 360 is on standard dvds, no BR formats. And about the dvd player I mentioned earlier; when the ps2 first came out, ppl adopted the dvd format, but there were those that appreciated the fact that they can get a game system + dvd player. A machine that'll do both jobs instead of buying 2 sep pieces of hardware. Then again, that costs them too, w/burnt out lasers haha.

yeah, the pc hardware is a tossup, but you don't necessarily have to get top of the line parts to run a great game. As long as it runs smoothly and glitches get fixed, it's proper. It's like playing Ghost Recon on 360, as good as that game looks, if it had framerate issues, it's gg (King Kong 360 comes to mind) You can't go around tweaking settings and wtvr else to handle the problems. Atleast to me, the options involved w/a pc port will usually outweigh "ease of use" console versions.

Guest Evil_Monkey666

Looks like Sony will be directly competing with The Revolution on launch... I won't be getting a PS3 anytime soon after its release...

But is the Nintendo Revolution gonna be goin for the worldwide launch!IMHO I don't think so...

Guest IMAJynXed1

considering all games will be on blu-ray discs. Did sony mention what the average price for games are going to be? (just wondering if its going to be like 100$ a game, though probably not lol)

predicted to be about the same as XBox 360 games...but those are on regular DVD, while these will be on BluRay, so on the Xbox your getting ripped off, but on PS3 its a deal...

Guest aaandy

I don't think the majority of people are going to buy the PS3 so they can play with Linux.

I don't understand how it's going to take away the main purpose of it which is to play games. Obviously with the technology now, the PS3 is a powerhouse media station. I don't see a problem with it at all because it benefits more than just gamers. Other family members who don't play games can use it to watch movies, play music, etc... which makes it more marketable.

I don't see how there would be any downsides to upgrading/patches... No one wants to buy a brand new console for a firmware upgrade. I think this is a sign for MMO games on the PS3.

Archived