Playstation 3

Guest TrainDriver

Guest TrainDriver

^ur arguement is flawed. the reason y a lot of us still want a ps3 is because of games such as DMC4, MGS4 and FFXIII.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Guest SeEdFrEeDoM

if ps3 coming out this year on Nov. cause i wanna get the system!! the question is should i get the $500 or $ 400 system!!

i'll see the lineup for the games before considering to buy a ps3 ... it'll probably be good as usual. if there's a remake of FF7 for ps3, i'll definately get the system

Guest res0nate

I'm going to buy the 600 pack along w/a new telly.

In all honesty, I don't care much for the new FFs unless they can do as good, if not better than 12.

The only rpg to look forward to is Mass Effect and that's on the 360.

Guest the Human Hosepipe

Isn't PS3 basically a computer? :/

And I heard the games were more than $50. They can reach up to $90-100 a piece, too. T_____T"

Well, hopefully it's worth the $600....

Go to the East Coast/New Hampshire. No tax! ^^

So you can save that extra $50 for tax on a new game.

Guest doomsdayjohn

It is official, to answer to Microsoft's Xbox Live, Sony has confirmed a

unified online service at the PS Biz meeting in Tokyo, Japan on March

15th, 2006. The name of the service is not known yet but Sony has

confirmed that the online service will be free of charge much like it's

online predecessor on the ps2.

Basic service: free of charge

-able to play games, and access to features much like xbox live

+ charges apply for selected downloadable content

here are some of the online features:

Communication/Community:

Voice/Video chat

Messaging

Lobby/Matchmaking

Score/Ranking

Friend list/Avatar

Game data upload/download

Commerce:

Shop (accessible from inside games)

Content Download

Micro Payment

Subscription

Entitlement (user access rights) management

Account:

User Registration

Login ID/Handling of name issues

SCE is working with Sony Online Entertainment on the PlayStation 3's

online infastructure.

Guest 1nfernal

The name of the service is not known yet but Sony has

confirmed that the online service will be free of charge much like it's

online predecessor on the ps2.

It's PNP, playstation Network platform >_>

Isn't PS3 basically a computer? :/

And I heard the games were more than $50. They can reach up to $90-100 a piece, too. T_____T"

Well, hopefully it's worth the $600....

Go to the East Coast/New Hampshire. No tax! ^^

So you can save that extra $50 for tax on a new game.

Dude, they haven't confirmed that ps3 games will be 90-100 bucks a piece and you think that games will be over 50 bucks? if that happends sony can forget about being leader in the gaming industry.

i'm really looking forward to FFXIII. the game alone is good enough to make me buy a PS3. biggrin.gif

also, it's cos i don't have a ps2.

Then you deffinetly need to buy a ps3 since it's backward compatible.

• 1 month later...

1st-party PS3 games are confirmed to be $59.99.

Wow I am so looking forward to FFXIII Versus.

I'm having trouble deciding between a PS3 and a Wii; Zelda TP and SSBB looks really fun..

Hmmm... the only reason for me to get a PS3 is MGS4... and .....oh! God of War 2... and I can play RE5 for the 360... so two games Im really looking forawd to. <__<;; Since MGS4 is not a release date I am fine with buying the PS3 on a later date. I haven't looked much into God of War yet though. Hmmmm..... oh.. would you look at FFXIII also... Im not fond of FF gameplay but I think I can get over that. <___<;;

Guest aaandy

http://gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=82268

GamePro: The PlayStation 3 games on display at TGS look great. There's been quite an improvement over the last few months.

Phil Harrison: We knew it was a risk going 'radio silent' after E3, which is always part of our strategy. E3 was great, obviously, but saying nothing until today put a great deal of pressure on the titles here to really sing. I think they've more than done that.

But, we've got a long way to go. I don't want anyone to walk out of here thinking that these games are "it." We're still tuning, improving, tweaking performance.

GP: We were intrigued to see how many games have 1080p support, and to hear focus so much on talking about 1080p. Is that a real commitment from Sony to 1080p for the future?

PH: The PlayStation 3 is the only format that can do full HD, true HD. So it's obviously to our advantage to take advantage of that...where appropriate. And it doesn't require that every game be 1080p, because I think that some games actually look better at 720p depending on the style of the game, depending on the pixel rendering or pixel shading that's been adopted.

But I was being a little bit cheeky [discussing 1080p so much during the event] because one of our friendly competitors made a very bold statement, saying that that there's no way that we will be able to do [1080p] at launch. So we thought it was appropriate to, rather than get all emotional about it, just give it [1080p] a nudge.

GP: What does Sony have, as a company, that Microsoft doesn't?

[short pause]

PH: You know, we have had....I'm going to answer your question! But we've had a couple of accusations of sounding arrogant. So I've been very careful about answering that question.

One of the things that we do have, and we would never rely upon it, but we do have 200 million plus PlayStation 1 and PlayStation 2 sales worldwide. And that gives us a very loyal fan base, who we could never upset and never take advantage of, but it gives us some fans who love what we do, and push us really hard to do the best that we can do. And they have been pushing us. I read the forums, and the newsgroups -- possibly some of the same ones that you read. And we've had some justifiable criticisms, and I won't try to defend that.

But what we do have is that ultimate fan base of people who want us to do a good job. So that's actually quite important. We've also got industry support, we've got worldwide studios as you've seen today, who are doing some incredible stuff and really leading the charge in making the PlayStation 3 shine as much as it can. And that makes a difference.

There was an interesting report issued a couple of days ago by Merryll Lynch which observed that Sony Computer Entertainment's internal development resources are as large as Microsoft's and Nintendo's combined. Obviously I know what our numbers are, but I didn't know where the [competitors] were at. So that's a tremendous power that we have. We have 14 studios worldwide and about 2200 people at last count, and all of those studios share common technology, common tools, and that really helps.

From a product point of view, I think you saw earlier on when I did a quick whiz across the "cross media bar," that we've got some really consumer-friendly functionality built into the console, before you even buy a game. "Do I want PlayStation 3 to be my digital...life center?" You know what I mean. And I think that there are more things in PlayStation 3 that give people who buy it more reason to use it more often. Not very eloquent, but you understand.

What else do we have? Ken Kutaragi! We have somebody who is visionary and equally brutal in his demands that we achieve that vision. Which is...sometimes a challenge, but never a dull moment, you know?

GP: Speaking of Ken Kutaragi, he was quoted in an interview with PC Watch magazine a few months ago speaking about possible hardware upgrades for the PS3, such as a better video card, maybe more RAM or a Blu-ray burner? Is that a direction that Sony is interested in pursuing with the PS3, making it more of a consumer personal computer?

PH: Definitely from a software point of view, PlayStation 3 will grow over time, just as we've made upgrades available for the PSP to add functionality. I can't comment on the hardware strategy, but whatever we do, if we do it, when we do it, the key thing is going to be maintaining the existing library of games. So, nobody need worry that they're going to be left behind.

[Time's up: Harrison's assistant asks me to wrap up the interview. But, in an amusing twist, Harrison takes a keen interest in what he calls "the questions reporters don't ask." He actually slides this reporter's notebook across the table and begins skimming over its contents!

Luckily, Harrison grants me one more question, and it's a doozy, one that GamePro community members echo again and again in our forums.]

GP: What do you say to gamers who don't care about Blu-ray movies but would rather have a cheaper console?

PH: That's a great question. I can understand that. There's this sort of misunderstanding that the Blu-ray disc player for movies is somehow burdening the console with unnecessary cost. That is completely not true. We put our Blu-ray Disc functionality in the console purely from a game design point of view. Once we had that storage capacity on Blu-ray Disc, adding the movie playback functionality was extremely cost-effective, [the cost] is actually non-existent.

So games like Resistance which, as a launch title, is up to 20-something gigabytes already. And that's day one -- think about four years, six years from now. We'll be pushing the 50 gigabyte limit with dual-layer Blu-ray very quickly. So we absolutely need it as game designers, and in that regard, the consumer is getting the movie functionality effectively for free.

[Final thoughts on the interview: Harrison is an extremely charming guy (and tall, at six feet seven inches!). I liked him immediately. In contrast to his somewhat stiff public speaking style, he's very sharp, straightforward, and engaging in a one-on-one conversation. It was a great interview, and he's clearly a key asset for Sony Computer Entertainment.]

http://gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=82128

In a piece of unexpected news at the Tokyo Game Show, Sony officially announced that the $499 PlayStation 3 model will receive an HDMI boost...free of charge.

Good news for HD gamers: the 20 GB and 60 GB now both contain high-res HDMI video output

The announcement comes as a surprise given that the HDMI video output was one of the defining features of the premium-priced $599 model, which also will come with a larger 60 GB hard drive, integrated wi-fi, and a memory stick reader.

Demand for enjoying full HD quality image and realistic digital sound through HDMI has grown tremendously. Given the sharp increase in availability of flat displays supporting HDMI in the market, SCEI has decided to equip HDMI as standard on all PS3 systems."

--Sony press release

In the announcement, Sony confirmed that the 20 GB model will receive the latest version of HDMI, the so-called "Ver 1.3" update, which adds support for even higher bandwidth, "Deep Color" for pixel-precise color detail, and also miniaturized connectors.

The 20 GB PlayStation 3 model is not expected to be as widely available as the more expensive 60 GB model. A recent analyst's report estimated the retail breakdown at 80/20 in favor of the $599 PS3.

Archived