Playstation 3

Guest TrainDriver

Guest TrainDriver
PS3 DISCUSSIONS!
get ur pre-orders ready. should be good, just b4 xmas plus here in australia i get $200 from the government.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Evil_Monkey666

worldwide. a heavy market blitz and sony will take over like iPod in america...That's just known as fact

Can't say I expected them to go for a worldwide release. It'll be interesting to see how that goes.

So basically Japan, Asia, Canada, US, and EU will get it by Thanksgiving. Bleh I still have plenty of time to pre-order...

Guest ngaouction

they'll really be releasing it in europe and australia in november too? i doubt it.... but who knows. i'm guessing that they'll announce a push-back date later this year.

Guest IMAJynXed1

ima call up gamestop, and if i can preorder ima do it today...

also it says there will be a harddrive in the mix, either with or sold seperatly but itll be running on Linux...also with a XBox live type of online gaming...lets hope they dont f&$k up on them like they did for PS2...

Guest Evil_Monkey666

they'll really be releasing it in europe and australia in november too? i doubt it.... but who knows. i'm guessing that they'll announce a push-back date later this year.

It's worldwide so i would think some would be heading your way, although how many can anyones guess.

i think you have to wait until 2007 because Sony said that they will launch in the Tri-territories in November. They didn't mention anything like Australia.

Just like Microsoft said worldwide, when really they meant Japan, USA, and Europe.

I think you Aussies will have to wait to early 2007 at least.

March 14, 2006 - Ken Kutaragi, PlayStation Master and keeper of big news has announced at the PS meeting today that the PlayStation 3 will be launching in early November worldwide for the North American, Asian, and European territories.

"A completely simultaneous launch is physically impossible," Kutaragi said, "but we believe we'll be able ship to users throughout the world around this time."

Sony's production line is set to pump out one million units per month to meet demand, with a total of six million units to be produced in Fiscal Year 2006 (through March 2007) alone. Production numbers are higher for PS1 and PS2 in their initial years.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/696/696054p1.html

However, he also revealed that Sony plans to release the system in Japan, North America, and Europe simultaneously this November. That's right, the PS3 will be in stores before the end of the year - within the first 10 days of November, to be exact. According to the company, it will have a production capacity of 1 million units a month to attempt to keep up with the demand. 6 million units are estimated to be shipped by the end of March 2007.

Kutaragi stated that the purpose of today's meeting was not to show any new hardware or games, it was to offer an apology. He wanted to give the world an update since it was now Spring. He stated issues over the finalization of copy protection technology related to the Blu-ray disc drive were the cause for the delay. But Kutaragi also mentioned that the delay would allow for the latest HDMI (high-definition connection, essentially) support.

He did offer some tantalizing new details about the system, though. PS3 will include a 60GB hard drive (which is upgradeable) with Linux preinstalled. According to Kutaragi, developers should create games for the PS3 with assumption the hard drive will be present in the system (his slide was titled "HDD is required!"). He also revealed that the system will be backwards compatible with the entire PS1 and PS2 libraries, and that games will be displayed in high-definition resolutions when played on the PS3 (similar to what the Xbox 360 does with compatible Xbox 1 titles).

Kutaragi described the shift to the PS3 as a move into the 4D world. The 8/16 bit era with 2D sprites was refered to as "Plane", the PS1/PS2 era with 3D graphics was described as "Space", and the PS3 era was with its, according to him, 4D worlds, was described as "Live" (Space + Time). Some of this concept is surely lost in translation.

Kutaragi also revealed details on the online service Sony is planning for the PS3 called the "PlayStation Network Platform". Beginning at the system's November launch, the service will feature such functions as matchmaking, messaging, rankings, friends lists, voice/video chat, in-game shopping, and game downloads to the hard drive. Best of all, the service will be free (as of right now, it isn't clear on whether there will also be a paid tier of service similar to Xbox Live Gold). The service will also allow for publishers to connect their own game servers. Sony Online Entertainment (SOE), makers of such online games as EverQuest and Star Wars Galaxies, is provided the infrastructure and GameSpy is providing tools and middleware. Kutaragi also mentioned that the PS3 can serve as a wireless access point for the PSP.

Final PS3 controllers and development kits are going to be sent to the development community by May. This will include the final specs for Cell, the final RSX graphics chip, the final Blu-ray specs, and will be at a cost close to that of a PS2 development kit.

Kutaragi also had a few big announcements that pertained to the PSP, the most immediate being a price drop to $199 for the basic pack at the end of March in the U.S. This spring will also see a browser upgrade that will include Macromedia Flash 6.0 support. Kutaragi gave details on some later technology enhancements to look forward to this fall as well: RSS support, video and voice-over-IP, and a USB GPS receiver that will interface with new games (a version of Hot Shots Golf was mentioned for this). A PSP EyeToy camera will release in September and will feature a version of EyeToy Play and video chat.

Interestingly, Kutaragi also discussed an "E-Distribution" strategy for the PSP which will include downloading classic PS1 games to a PSP's Memory Stick. Users will be able to boot games directly off of the Memory Stick and the games will play under emulation.

So there you go this will answer all your questions....

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148775

Guest IMAJynXed1

Interestingly, Kutaragi also discussed an "E-Distribution" strategy for the PSP which will include downloading classic PS1 games to a PSP's Memory Stick. Users will be able to boot games directly off of the Memory Stick and the games will play under emulation.

oooo this seems very interesting...altho i expect youll have to have the latest FW to run them...and lets hoipe its more than just a few crapola PS1 first party games...

Guest emacs

i want to get a japanese ps3!i wonder how i can get my hands on it, i live in the states =[

if you wanted to get a Japanese PS3 so you can play Japanese games i don't think that'll be necessary. since the new region coding has put Japan, Canada and the United States in the same region for film distribution on Blu-Ray this may be extended to games as well. all games released on the PS3 will be on Blu-Ray.

considering all games will be on blu-ray discs. Did sony mention what the average price for games are going to be? (just wondering if its going to be like 100$ a game, though probably not lol)

Guest ~fantasygurl~

no one posted this yet? okay then here it is!! ^^

i really can't wait for the ps3 to come out and it comes out like around 2006 christmas, so i'm gonna probably get it right away but it only depends though....i'm only getting it because i wanna play the new remake for final fantasy 7 and it's gonna have better grahics!!! ^o^ :w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

if i'm wrong about the date then please correct me many thanxs ^^

Guest Take Five

i'm only getting it because i wanna play the new remake for final fantasy 7 and it's gonna have better grahics!!!

no one ever confirmed that they were gonna make one...

getting a 800 dollar system to play a remake of a game really isn't worth it either.

Guest res0nate

lol I wouldn't be too excited about ff7 either, it wasn't THAT great to me. As for price, I don't think it'll be over 500. Sony's probably better off losing money + selling systems rather than taking a big sales hit and having the product sit on the shelves.

there has been speculation that it would cost 350$ USD but another group said that it may even be up to 800$ because of the cost of parts.

this is all mostly rumor anyway. I see it costing about 500$ usd when it launches.

and for ff7, though I want it to happen, I have a feeling they aren't going to do it @@"

no one posted this yet? okay then here it is!! ^^

i'm only getting it because i wanna play the new remake for final fantasy 7 and it's gonna have better grahics!!!

Ugh, thats all anyone ever says about that alledged remake... BETTER GRAPHICS ZOMG!! :crazy:

no one ever confirmed that they were gonna make one...

getting a 800 dollar system to play a remake of a game really isn't worth it either.

Well I guess its worth it for rabid Squeenix fans...

Guest HKS457

i have a friend that told me about how the system costs 800 usd+ too. altho his info came from his dad, who been working video game industry for years in japan.

but come on, not alotta people can afford 800usd, especially teenagers thats still in middle school/high school. considering of parent with average income, thats 1/5 to 1/4 of their monthly pay check, how often you think they will buy their kid something like that expensive? i m sure sony considered this point too tho

Guest Evil_Monkey666

No one knows yet or As matter affact There is no news yet they didn't even confirmed any price yet on PS3. Yes there are analysts that are assuming that it costs a lot to manufacture but until they actually have one in hand so they they can do a tear down it will just be an assumption. Analysts found out how much the 360 costs to manufacture becasue they had a 360 on hand to do a tear down.

Guest 1SwtDeception

Wow this PS3 thread sure does know its stuff. And I all hear is just great graphics I really want a more justified thought on the PS3. I posted something in that in my Revolution thread and pray someone answers me with "great consideration" ;]

Anyways sorry -- not meaning to rant for ages, but just here to provide a few information on the PS3 that came out 2 days ago since everyone seems to know so much on it at the moment.

(All from IGN-- whether you believe it's reliable or something you favor is your choice)

PS3 release world wide NOVEMBER 06 -http://ps3.ign.com/articles/696/696054p1.html

soompi thread here: http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=43361

Sorry no PS2 price drop for "4-5 years"- http://ps2.ign.com/articles/696/696049p1.html

Here is most of the information you would need on the PS3:

(I think it's funny there is no talk on price)

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/696/696062p1.html

***THIS IS THE LINK FOR MOST OF THE CURRENT INFO ON THEM***

The PS3 FAQ: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/636/636848p1.html

What the PS3 is about and what it looks like.

Understanding the PS3 specs:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614682p1.html

(yes it is impressive)

FFVII Remake RUMOR (please under THIS IS A RUMOR-- are they real? IT'S ONLY A POSSIBILITY):

http://www.joystiq.com/2005/08/01/final-fa...-ps3-tech-demo/

It doesn't mean it will come. If it comes out great! I think I saw Mr. shinhawk (I don't remember) post the thought of the overexgerrated hype of FF7 compared to the over all FFs. Lovely to see Cloud and Tifa get some attention (even MORE), how about everyone else in the series? That be great to introduce any "new generations" of gamers: to start from the beginning (maybe appreciate the early FF than 3D ones).

My 2 cents on this:

Sony is going to release their blu-ray players for $999 (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6145076.html) and this system is going to have "all those fancy hardwares" I'd be surprised if it's $500. But it would be great for the consumers I guess. I'll get it for the sake of "collection" (it's what my brother wants anyways), but no way I'd go spend any more than $300 on a system.

Archived