Park Shin Yang 박신양

goose

Guest Choi Ji Woo

Haha my dad looks a lot like Park Shin Yang..they both even got the same hairstyle..my dad really likes PSY's role in Lovers in Paris as CEO of a car company..our family watched all episodes of LIP here in our country..the drama was even ranked as one of the highest rating K-dramas here in the Philippines!!! AJAH!!!

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest phunatik

Generally says that when LIP was broadcast in September on China Beijing T.V. (BTV) - LIP rating was raising, although head-to head competing with a China drama namely " 15th Beijing thousand five (Gyung)".

The newspaper reported, that LIP program soaring rating has shamed Beijing T.V. BTV sees 0.4% fall as an embarrassment. If any friends would like to elaborate, we welcome. Thanks.

thanks for the translation XIANG, Happy Thanksgiving to you! :):wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Update : Dec 7, 2005 KST 14:16

Park Shin-yang joins ranks of hallyu stars

Source: KBS Global

http://english.kbs.co.kr/entertainment/new...1899_11858.html

shin_l.jpg

Actor Park Shin-yang, whose popularity skyrocketed after his role in the SBS TV drama “Paris Lovers,” will hold his first fan meeting in Japan at Zepp Tokyo on January 26 at 3 p.m.

Public interest in Park has soared since “Paris Lovers” aired in Japan on Nihon TV back in March. IMX, the organizer of Park’s fan meeting, published the actor’s picture on the cover of the September edition of the hallyu magazine Brokore, and produced an official multi-content Web site for the drama.

The site’s bulletin board has been flooded with messages from Japanese fans expressing their desire to meet Park and thanking the creators of the site. All buyers of “Paris Lovers” disc sets, comprised of the novel on which the drama is based, a short-film DVD, a CD of original soundtracks and a DVD of music videos, will have a chance to win a ticket to Park’s fan meeting through a drawing.

Park’s popularity will likely rise as a big-screen star as well when his upcoming movie, “The Big Swindle,” opens in Japan on January 3.

“Park’s character in this story is an introverted, self-focused person who looks quiet and composed on the outside but can talk endlessly once he opens his mouth. His character is very much similar to Park’s personality in real life. Park is the prototype of his character, and I was lucky that he agreed to play the role,” said the movie’s director, Choi Dong-ho, in a recent interview with Japanese journalists.

p1003852154.jpgp1003812384.jpg

credit : Kyu Hyun Kim, Koreanfilm, Darcy Paquet, yesasia.com

Review: The Big Swindle (released April 15, 2004 in Korea)

The Top 10 Best Selling Korean Film in 2004 [source: Korean Film Council (KOFIC)].

The Big Swindle ["Beomjoe-ui jaeguseong"] Written and directed by Choi Dong-hun. A group of veteran thieves decide to join forces to rob the Bank of Korea, but nobody in the group truly trusts each another. Starring Park Sin-yang, Yeom Jeong-a, Baek Yun-sik, Lee Mun-sik, Park Won-sang, Kim Sang-ho. Cinematography by Choi Yeong-hwan. Produced by Sidus Pictures. Distributed by Showbox. Rating: 18+. 116 min. Customer Rating: prdRate10.gif

Awards and Nominations for The Big Swindle:

Best Script Winner - Choi Dong Hun (Dae Jong Award Festival 2004)

Best New Director Winner - Choi Dong Hun (Dae Jong Award Festival 2004)

Best Script Winner - Choi Dong Hun (25th Blue Dragon Film Awards 2004)

Best Supporting Actress Winner - Yeom Jeong-a (25th Blue Dragon Film Awards 2004)

Best New Director Winner - Choi Dong Hun (25th Blue Dragon Film Awards 2004)

A young con artist Chang-hyuk (Park Shin-yang) is killed in a car crash, after snatching five billion won from the Korea Central Bank. The reconstruction of the crime (the original Korean title) by the police reveals that Chang-hyuk was operating in partnership with the veteran conman Mr. Kim (Baek Yun-shik) and that he had named his brother Chang-ho (also played by Park) as the recipient of a massive life-insurance indemnity. Believing that Chang-ho holds the key to the whereabouts of the booty, Mr. Kim's girlfriend In-gyung (Yeom Jeong-ah) befriends him. But neither she nor Mr. Kim is quite prepared for the truth behind Chang-hyuk's con game.

The Big Swindle is a fine example of a caper film. The subgenre's lineage embraces such disparate examples as the French noir classics (Jules Dassin's Rififi [1955] and Touche paz au grisbi [1954] featuring the immortal Jean Gabin) as well as the big-budget Hollywood productions that are part tourist travelogues and part vanity-fair star vehicles (the original Ocean's Eleven [1960], Topkapi [1964], How To Steal A Million [1966] with Audrey Hepburn). When superbly done, a caper film can be almost unbearably entertaining. I still remember the two young women sitting in front of me agitating themselves into tears, when Robert Redford was shockingly gunned down by Paul Newman in The Sting (1973), and the roar of disbelief and laughter that filled the theater one minute later.

The film is meticulously constructed, sharply designed, and, best of all, smart as hell. Writer-director Choi Dong-hun keeps the action fast and snappy, following the jazzy rhythm of his screenplay, full of endlessly quotable lines and wholly believable details and character traits (At one point during the planning session, a character blurts out, "How many years do we get in the can if we get caught?" Everyone glares at him and simultaneously spits on the ground to ward off bad luck). One of Choi's amusingly creative touches is the self-reflexive analogy he draws between filmmaking and con jobs. He tweaks our expectations while challenging us to distinguish between the actors playing their characters and the characters acting their assigned roles. In one astounding sequence, for instance, a flashback of a wild bank robbery seamlessly flows into a bank guard's re-enactment of the event.

The ensemble cast is uniformly excellent. As someone who has never made it past the first ten minutes of Kilimanjaro, overwhelmed by Park Shin-yang's spittle-flying histrionics, I was a bit worried about him taking on a dual role again. However, Park seems to have figured out how to modulate his quasi-Method acting style since The Uninvited. He is charmingly sneaky as Chang-hyuk and believably mousy, even touching, as his bookworm brother. He gets to speak excellent Russian as the latter, too! Yeom Jeong-ah (Tale of Two Sisters) is the requisite femme fatale, lithe and cool, but with an unexpected twinkle in her vampish, Siamese cat eyes. Other familiar faces include Lee Mun-shik (Once Upon a Time in a Battlefield), Pak Won-sang (Waikiki Brothers, R-Point) and Cheon Ho-jin (Doll Master), cast against type as a dogged but befuddled detective.

However, the movie belongs to Baek Yun-shik (Save the Green Planet) as Mr. Kim, who can switch his identities with the aplomb of a traveling businessman adjusting his tie in a hotel restroom. Baek masterfully adds a layer of pathos to his portrayal of this debonair, high-class scoundrel. Mr. Kim is a vainglorious peacock, who nonetheless takes great pride and joy in his ability to hoodwink other human beings, all the while suppressing the anxiety that age and changing times would someday catch up with him. When he pulls a shotgun out of the cabinet and barks, "It's okay to be ugly when you are old!" Baek makes the delivery exhilarating and melancholy at the same time.

If I think The Big Swindle stops short of being a masterpiece, it is because I would have preferred the film to go beyond its cleverness and peer more deeply into the inner workings of the characters. The final reel generates tremendous suspense less from our anticipation of the actual outcomes of the con game and more from our interest in the possibility of the characters overcoming their ingrained instinct to lie and backstab, and trusting one another. It is somewhat disappointing, therefore, when the film reaches its finale with an ironic twist that's more of a clever plot device than an honest confrontation among the characters stripped of their masks.

Possibly the most ingeniously scripted Korean film of the year, The Big Swindle richly deserved its enthusiastic support from domestic viewers and kudos from critics. It is highly recommended to anyone looking for Korean films that break away from the stereotypical molds of weepy melodramas, haughty arthouse hits and "extreme" exotica drenched in sex and violence. (reviewed by ~ Kyu Hyun Kim)

Guest apple red

Many thanx xiang for da article 'nd apple red for those finest pix...

those pic posted by xiang.. :lol:

i only quoted it because i like the pic of him with that little girl..

December 06, 2005

Korean Box Office Report - December 2/4

As expected, the latest installment of the Harry Potter saga -- 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire' -- destroyed all competitors at the box office. Mike Newell's film recorded pre-sales figures of around 80% last weekend, and just about everyone expected the film to sell at least 1 Million tickets on its first weekend on release. Released on 440 screens across the nation (131 in Seoul), the film sold over 360,000 tickets in Seoul (in only four days), and over 900,000 all over the nation, for a total first week of 1.2 Million tickets. The film wasn't able to break 'War of The Worlds' opening of 1,430,000 last Summer, but it did a lot better than the last Harry Potter film (1.04 Million). But although the film should easily sell 3-4 Million tickets, it'll have to do this quickly, as Kwak Kyung-Taek's 태풍 (Typhoon) is only ten days away.

The romantic comedy 광식이 동생 광태 (When Romance Meets Destiny) predictably lost the top spot, but continues to do well. With 305 screens across the nation, the film sold 127,000 tickets in Seoul and 384,000 nationwide this weekend, with over 1.6 Million total after two weeks. Likely to hit the 2 Million by the end of this week, Kim Joo-Hyeok and Bong Tae-Gyu's latest work could enter the Top 10 of 2005 at this rate, which bodes well for Kim's next film, the drama 청연 (Blue Sparrow) with Jang Jin-Young. 6월의 일기 (Bystanders) had a pretty disappointing opening, not able to reach the 300,000 tickets mark after its first weekend. It sold around 57,000 tickets in Seoul over the weekend, from 57 screens (252 nationwide). Perhaps the fact it was caught between two rocks (Hollywood blockbusters vs Well Made Korean Star Vehicles) sealed its fate. The thriller, starring Shin Eun-Kyung, Moon Jung-Hyuk and 'Lost' star Kim Yoon-Jin should have no problems selling 500,000 tickets, but after that it's all a big question mark.

Hwang Byung-Guk's 나의 결혼원정기 (Wedding Campaign) might not have become a huge success, but its 656,000 tickets are a pretty good result, considering the film's budget wasn't that high. Reviews have been probably better than any other Korean film released recently (although 'When Romance Meets Destiny' was praised as well), and it's likely it will hold its place in the middle of the box office until at least mid December, when the big titans from Hollywood and Korea will start raging war; 1 Million tickets is still a possibility. But that goal seems becoming a lot harder for Kim Young-Joon's 무영검 (Shadowless Sword) , which despite passing the 500K mark is still not making much of a movement upward, and it should stop around the 650K mark, unless it will be pushed off the Top 10 by next week's films. Finally, both 미스터 소크라테스 (Mr. Socrates) and 야수와 미녀 (The Beast & The Beauty) continue to add a few tickets to their tallies. Neither of the two was a spectacular success, but I'm sure the makers will be content with the 1 Million+ figures they got.

Next week will be a big clash of titans: Kwak Kyung-Taek's 'Typhoon' against Peter Jackson's 'King Kong', and obviously Harry Potter will have something to say. 'Typhoon', starring Jang Dong-Gun and Lee Jung-Jae, secured over 500 screens, which should ensure an extremely good result, especially since marketing has been particularly aggressive during the last few weeks. Other Korean films on release are the erotic dramas 연애 (Love is a Crazy Thing) and 애인 (The Intimate), which both received pretty lukewarm reactions. Other releases for next week are Jim Jarmusch's latest 'Broken Flowers', Uma Thurman's 'Prime', and last but not least the Russian blockbuster Ночной дозор (Night Watch).

Korean Films Abroad

It finally happened, Lee Jae-Han's 내 머리속의 지우개 (A Moment To Remember) [Japanese Title "私の頭の中の消しゴム"] broke 외출 (April Snow)'s record, to become the most successful Korean film ever released in Japan. Beating Hur Jin-Ho's latest film, which made 2.3 Billion Yen in 5 weeks, the melodrama starring Son Ye-Jin and Jung Woo-Sung could reach distributors GAGA's previsions of 3 Billion Yen in the next few weeks, as they'll continue to push it strongly. The film landed in 4th place this weekend, with the latest Harry Potter film on top. Another upcoming release in Japan will be the ultra-cool crime thriller 범죄의 재구성 (The Big Swindle), starring Park Shin-Yang -- who achieved great popularity in Japan thanks to his TV Drama 파리의 연인 (Lovers in Paris).

Elsewhere, the horror film 첼로 (Cello) continues its run in Malaysia, landing 5th in the Weekly box office, dominated by (Guess who?) 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire'. In the US, Tartan's release of Park Chan-Wook's 올드보이 (Oldboy) continues, adding $165 from 1 screen, for a total of $707,391. Finally, the HK box office is still dominated by 殺破狼 (Sha Po Lang) [Harry Potter doesn't debut there until late December], which reached the HK$ 6.5 Million mark. But Korean films did pretty well, too: the comedy 마파도 (Mapado) landed at third place, with a total of HK$ 1.93 Million; also, the sexy comedy 누구나 비밀은 있다 (Everybody Has Secrets) with Lee Byung-Heon was at No. 9, with HK$ 190,000.

Box Office Top 10 - Weekend of December 2~4 (Seoul)

01. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

UK/USA (distrib. Warner Brothers Korea) - 55.3% - 1,201,965

02. 광식이 동생 광태 (When Romance Meets Destiny)

KOREA (distrib. MK Pictures) - 19.2% - 1,603,000

03. 6월의 일기 (Bystanders)

KOREA (distrib. Showbox) - 8.6% - 281,991

04. Just Like Heaven

USA (distrib. CJ Entertainment) - 6.5% - 100,353

05. 나의 결혼원정기 (Wedding Campaign)

KOREA (distrib. Lotte Entertainment) - 5.4% - 656,606

06. The Brothers Grimm

USA (distrib. Show East) - 3.2% - 700,000

07. 무영검 (Shadowless Sword)

KOREA (distrib. CJ Entertainment) - 3.1% - 558,000

08. Doom

USA (distrib. UIP) - 0.9% - 29,000

09. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

USA (distrib. Korea Pictures) - 0.7% - 159,093

10. 미스터 소크라테스 (Mr. Socrates)

KOREA (distrib. Lotte Entertainment) - 0.4% - 1,228,269

xx. 야수와 미녀 (The Beast & The Beauty)

KOREA (distrib. Showbox) - 1,574,318

2005 Box Office Top 10 (Korean Films)

01. 웰컴 투 동막골 (Welcome To Dongmakgol) - 8,002,594

02. 가문의 위기 (Marrying The Mafia 2) - 5,750,000

03. 말아톤 (Marathon) - 5,179,154

04. 공공의 적 2 (Another Public Enemy) - 3,920,000

05. 친절한 금자씨 (Sympathy For Lady Vengeance) - 3,700,000

06. 마파도 (Mapado) - 3,089,717

07. 너는 내 운명 (You Are My Sunshine) - 3,000,000

08. 내 생애 가장 아름다운 일주일 (All For Love) - 2,545,000

09. 박수칠 때 떠나라 (Murder, Take One) - 2,480,000

10. 혈의 누 (Blood Rain) - 2,274,779

All Time Box Office Top 10 (Korean Films)

01. 태극기 휘날리며 (Taegukgi) - 11,746,135 [2004]

02. 실미도 (Silmido) - 11,074,000 [2003]

03. 친구 (Friend) - 8,180,000 [2001]

04. 웰컴 투 동막골 (Welcome To Dongmakgol) - 8,002,594 [2005]

05. 쉬리 (Shiri) - 6,210,000 [1999]

06. 공동경비구역 JSA (Joint Security Area) - 5,830,000 [2000]

07. 가문의 위기 (Marrying The Mafia 2) - 5,750,000 [2005]

08. 조폭 마누라 (My Wife is a Gangster) - 5,250,000 [2001]

09. 가문의 영광 (Marrying the Mafia) - 5,200,001 [2002]

10. 말아톤 (Marathon) - 5,179,154 [2005]

Via nKino, Star News 1, Star News 2, Film2.0, Cine21, Box Office Mojo, Goo Movies, Mov3, Yahoo Malaysia

Credit:

» Posted by X at December 6, 2005 05:23 AM

Many thanx to rubie

Guest bernajoon

-havent read about the psy album-...i christmas gift i wish someone would be very generous to give it to me..ill dash to buy one anyway..haha..someone knows if its available in yesasia now?..

i am really envious of dear goosie now...she has it...

Guest bluweaver

-havent read about the psy album-...i christmas gift i wish someone would be very generous to give it to me..ill dash to buy one anyway..haha..someone knows if its available in yesasia now?..

i am really envious of dear goosie now...she has it...

yup.. d lover is now available on yesasia..... grab ur copy now....

Actor Park makes literary debut (2005/12/14)

psynu1.jpg

Actor Park Shin-yang, the "Lovers in Paris", made a literary debut through his novel "Lovers."

Matching the actor's nickname earned through last year's popular SBS TV series "Lovers in Paris", Park's first novel unfolds in the romantic French capital city.

In Park's novel, two lovers share an everlasting love which begins in Paris, and continues in Seoul years later. The beautiful love story will also move readers visually, as Park appears as the hero of the novel through several photographs included in the book.

The 37-year-old actor is preparing a three-dimensional project with his novel by making the romantic love story into a short movie and a music video.

Park is to become the first Korean Wave actor to lead the popularity through literature, as the novel also awaits publication in Japan.

Published by Joongang M&B, "Lovers" is currently on sale at local bookstores for 12,000 won.

By Shin Hae-in

Source : www.koreaherald.co.kr... ( English Korean )

Guest babygurldoc

I dont noe why it took me this long to notice this wonderful man/actor.

From reading what was written about, he seem like the best man out there, so well rounded, like he know everything. After watching LiP, I think he's not as good looking as other male lead, but he have such great charisma and charm about him, n he is so cute when he smile w/ his one dimple, cant help but fall for him.

Just love him after watching LiP, wow he is so great in many way. His wife is one heck of a lucky woman.

Too bad he is already taken by her, cuz I thought he look quite good w/ KJE.

Those pix of him w/ that little girl is very sweet n make us, his fan, know that what a wonderful father he must be.

His wife look quite cute, but I think kinda old looking for her age. They seem so happy together. She's lucky to have him

He's a great actor n i'll be waiting n be checking his next project.

Archived