Cpop Vs. Kpop

Guest Phaeocise

for C-POP, im talking about cantonese music (from Hong Kong)

haha, seriously back in the 1990's or 80's, their music rocks..

now, in the 2000's.. all there music is about.. umm let see, LOVE!

either 15 out of 20 songs are about break-ups or heart broken or about loving each other..

taiwanese is like much better.. atleast they have different genre in each song

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest renjitehsmex

i'm Chinese and I don't dig Cpop/Mpop songs at all.

Firstly - Where's the originality? (How come I see singers / bands doing covers of Korean songs?)

Secondly - The quality isn't there! (SO YOU CALL FEI LUN HAI GOOD SINGERS?)

Thirdly - What's up with the fashion, yo? (Look at all the fobbies Rainie, Bang Bang Tang, Hei Se Hui Mei Mei. FOB = NONSENSE)

That's about it. I'm not here to diss your favourite CPOP/MPOP or your favourite Taiwanese artistes. This is my opinion.

I prefer Kpop and Jpop over Cpop.

Eventhough Jpop has the most originalty of the three, Kpop has it too (I'm quite disappointed how many songs are actually covered >.<).

As for Cpop, I don't see it very appealing as most of the songs are quite 'the same'. Meh, there's just a few songs I like eg. JJ Lin and a couple of OST's.

Guest forgivenx

Many Taiwanese artiste have good voices and stuff, but now there are like totally weird and horrible songs T___T And boybands/girlbands like Hei Sei Hui Mei Mei, Bang Bang Tang and FRH can be so popular because of their "singing" Pshh~ Kpop is better in some sense.

Firstly - Where's the originality? (How come I see singers / bands doing covers of Korean songs?)

Thirdly - What's up with the fashion, yo? (Look at all the fobbies Rainie, Bang Bang Tang, Hei Se Hui Mei Mei. FOB = NONSENSE)

That's about it. I'm not here to diss your favourite CPOP/MPOP or your favourite Taiwanese artistes. This is my opinion.

I'm not chinese and yet i'm offended with your word, i know you are infatuated with k-pop but c-pop aren't tht bad. You just listen to the wrong artist.

Firstly- I think tht c-pop and j-pop has more originality thn k-pop. K-pop are so americanized nowadays, beside korean do cover other artist songs(quite a lot and people in here seems to be in denial about tht) and gosh byul made a cover of wang lee hom songs(it's c-pop btw!).

Secondly-You gotta be kidding, c-pop has a lot of famous singer tht writes/compose their own songs and managed to sells a lot(Some of them are even ugly). You don't see tht in kpop scene. They have idols like fei lun hai who rely on their looks thn talent, but c-pop music industry are balanced and have more variety in their scene whereas in k-pop, idols conquer the music industry with only some exception.

Thirdly-Tht's their fashion, at least they have originality in their fashion.

Guest huangmeixi

Mandarin itself is a song.

I like Cpop. Lots of great songwriters/singers, whereas Kpop is more of a factory, churning out stars.

Cpop has more well-rounded singers, and more diversity in their songs.

I never see beautiful Kpop songs, such catchy. They never give me chills like the Chinese Paladin Theme/Return of the Condor Heroes Theme or even Japanese songs like Planeterium.

It's just catchy pop.

I think Kpop just has its manufacturing and marketing skills. Like someone else said, Kpop songs are basically made up to be catchy and addicting. We have very few songs like that in Cpop (Mando-pop; I don't listen to Canto music). Plus, since I'm Chinese-American (Taiwanese), I like songs that have a very strong Western influence because that's the music I grew up listening to and listening to Kpop is like wave after waves of blissful nostalgia for me because they have very strong Western undertones, catchy beats, addicting lyrics... and pretty people! haha. Plus, with the Hallyu, a lot of drama theme songs got people inherently addicted and into Kpop. If China/Taiwan/Hong Kong has that same kind of influence, you'd probably see a lot more people into Cpop nowadays too. My obsession with Kpop is slowly dying (but if TVXQ releases anything, I'm sure to listen to it)... but I think it's just because it's like listening to the golden ages of Western pop (basically the late 90s), but just in a different language. Kpop is also a bit more selective about the people they release; Taiwan has an uncanny trend to release idols that aren't very good singers as the people who sing theme songs for their dramas or whatever. In Taiwan, there is a pretty fair distinction between idol and singer which is generally quite respected. I'm sure if you got more people like JJ Lin, Amei Zhang, and Wang Lee Hom to sing idol drama themes, then a lot more people would be noticing the singers. Unfortunately, those three are actually taken quite seriously as singers and don't really cross into the "idol" realm that much.

We don't get a lot of "real singers" to sing drama themes.

Cpop and mostly Taiwan is slowly catching up. I feel that they have a lot more originality and a genuine quality that is oftentimes lacking in Kpop. Few Kpop artists do their own composing and song writing and not many of them are actively involved in the creative process (especially not new bands that have debuted these past 1-2 years). Some of them DO, but to a limited and very tightly-controlled extent. A great deal of them are still compared to "Western" counterparts. but there is virtually none of that in Taiwan, which is nice, methinks. If you look at artists like Anson Hu, JJ Lin, Wang Leehom, Jay Chou... the majority of their albums are all self-composed songs. You may only get 1-2 songs that Korean artists have actually composed themselves on any given album.

I think the language may have a lot to do with it as well. Personally, to me, the most beautiful language sung (of course, in a decent and beautiful song) would probably be Japanese. But as long as you have a talented -- or at least decent -- composer, the the composer should compensate for any "gaps" in the language and the song should STILL sound beautiful no matter what language it's being sung in. So eh...?

Personally, on my mp3 player, I have Kpop and Cpop, but I find myself gravitating towards Cpop most of the time. Talent really supercedes any language and if you look hard enough, I'm sure you'll find a few gems in Cpop... and let me tell you, to me, those few gems are worth loads more than the manufactured and formulaic idols that I find elsewhere.

And just for fun...

Cpop song. Anson's guy on the guitar and I LOVE his voice and seriously... more people should know who he is. haha. I'm SO exploiting Se7en to get people to notice Anson.

Guest Creamy chicken

and the language itself is choppy. korean flows. xD

IMO, mandarin Chinese flows better than Korean :blink:

Also, a lot of you people listen to the wrong artists

Guest TrainDriver

1. i see nothing wrong with covers. k-pop artists also do many covers as well. originality? TANK, jay chou, wang leehom, mayday, da mouth are just a few

2. its as if all k-pop bands are good singers as well. there will always be good and bad singers in any language of music. there are many many good c-pop singers. boybands like fei lun hai aren't necessarily all about singing, its more about presence and the fact fans like them.

3. wat is wrong with the fashion :blink:

EDIT: also if c-pop has no "originality", y is it so easy to differentiate it from j-pop, k-pop and western music? :lol: i'm starting to agree with tony, some of these comments are quite annoying.

Guest Tonyc402

WTF? Ok firstly , you must be so into your kpop that you dont even realize that there are many great talent in CPOP music industry.

Firstly- WTF wheres the originality? Have you ever listened to David Tao , Jay Chou, Lee Hom Wang, Khalil Fong , Evan Yo, JJ Lin , FIR, Hins Cheung, Anson Hu, Gary Cao, MayDay, Yida Huang, Alan Kuo, Michael Wong, Beyond? Guess wut they all have in commen? They all write their own music , not many korean artists do that. You think Kpop is any more original? Most of their songs are very much influenced/copied through Western music , so dont even tell me theres any more originality in that.

Secondly- Quality? Every single country has their good and bad artists. WHO REALLY CALLS FEI LUN HAI good singers, we all know they are just there for their looks. Are you ignorant enough to think that Fei Lun Hai actually represents the Cpop industry? pleasee... learn a little before you talk

Thirdly- Fashion? wtf is wrong with the fashion? They seem to dress fine and I dont consider Rainie , BBT or Hei Se Hui mei mei artists.If anything, they have nothing to do with the music industry , they are mostly part of variety shows. So what you just brought was stupidly irrelevant.

Honestly, before you look any more stupid then you are you better learn more about CPOP before you even diss it . I can definately see the ignorance in your writing about CPOP. If anything you sound like an annoying kpop fan teenybopper. Obviously you are so caught up in your Kpop that you fail to realize the talent there is in CPOP.

Gosh , the ignorance from some of these kpop fans is so annoying, especially some of the chinese kpop fans that it makes me feel sorry for them. I swear most of them listen to the wrong artists too.

what? its true

chinese, theres a lot of "xi" and "zh" sounds so it sounds weird

So what , its part of the language . Deal with it, and i agree with Creamy Chicken that it does flow pretty as good or better then Korean. Man , if you are Chinese yourself ...man oh man...... :lol:

Guest candysyrup

Cpop and mostly Taiwan is slowly catching up. I feel that they have a lot more originality and a genuine quality that is oftentimes lacking in Kpop. Few Kpop artists do their own composing and song writing and not many of them are actively involved in the creative process (especially not new bands that have debuted these past 1-2 years). Some of them DO, but to a limited and very tightly-controlled extent. A great deal of them are still compared to "Western" counterparts. but there is virtually none of that in Taiwan, which is nice, methinks. If you look at artists like Anson Hu, JJ Lin, Wang Leehom, Jay Chou... the majority of their albums are all self-composed songs. You may only get 1-2 songs that Korean artists have actually composed themselves on any given album.

Yeah, I do agree it's important to note that individual stars in Korea don't often compose their music. But, there are downsides to composing your music that artists often fall into... like their music sounding the same. However, skilled artists tend to avoid these pitfalls. But currently entertainment companies are afraid to take chances.

Another thing Korea has is a higher production value. But I think there's a thing lacking currently - innovation. However, there's still bands out there that I love - i.e. The Clazziquai Project, Loveholic, The Turtles, etc that continue to put out quality music.

Personally, I've dabbled in many Chinese artists, and can't find myself interested in any of them... Jay Chou, Wang Leehom, etc, because I feel I can't connect to them emotionally. However, I do enjoy Japanese music, as well as the artist alan, but it's highly probable that her debut single in Japan doesn't represent popular Chinese music.

well, there is a huge difference between these two, in Korean music industry the entertainment companies pull people from streets who they think have "potential", whereas Chinese music industry is like the US. Jay Chou had to work his butt off composing songs for other artists before he got noticed. Korean industry have trainees and that's where they have to work their butt off, but they have guidance, they don't have to make it all on their own, they have trainers. That's why Korean singers are so talented, imo. Although, I can't be sure every Korean singer was once a trainee, but I think so.

But seriously, I love kpop a lot more, except I like Jay Chou a lot more than some Korean singers. But he's the only cpop artists I really like. Plus, no offense, but there are very few talented cpop artists out right now. Their voices are just.. :crazy:

I love kpop more because cpop just doesn't interest me. The only cpop I still enjoy is Taiwanese. Jay Chou, Lee Hom, JJ Lin are like the best.

HK music ? Forget that...No talent except for one's from the 90's. Go Jacky Cheung and Andy Lau...Now they have talent...Not Boyz, Twins and "artists" like them.

Kpop, the melody and genres are better and more catchy (:

I listen to both but I'm chinese so I'd say c-pop. I listen to the taiwanese artists most of the time.. I don't really like the mainland artists but some hk are good. I prefer c-pop because I can understand it and there are many really talented taiwanese artists too =]

Guest LALALA_*

O__O;

I read some of the comments, and geez, like....WHAT?

Okay, soooo um, I think Kpop has better performers, like they're usually more focused on being "the whole package" (acting, singing, dancing, blahblahblah), while Cpop has better, like.....talented songwriter-singers (who usually can't dance, but singers, IMO, shouldn't be "required" to dance well to be considered as good). I'm suprised at how everyone's like "oh, cpop is so unoriginal they just rip off Korean songs!", but it's not as if Korean artists don't ever cover foreign songs (esp SM, recently. And it's not just english songs either, it's like, foreign songs in general.)

I think Chinese flows better than Korean....:[

I get sooo offended when I see posts like "oh Cpop doesn't have a lot of talented people", and while i'm trying to honor everyone's opinions or whatever, I still like get AKESGHIUD like WHAT??? Who have you been listening to?!? Yes, some of the boybands might not be.....as talented. Like FLH, but hey, gotta give them props for singing live even if they can't exactly sing...the right notes. :D;; but they've improved a lot since they first debuted, so yeah. :D

Gosh , the ignorance from some of these kpop fans is so annoying, especially some of the chinese kpop fans that it makes me feel sorry for them. I swear most of them listen to the wrong artists too.

Amen. :X

though eason chan will ALWAYS be one of my most admired singers.. you cannot disagree on his singing talent!

.......I just started listening to his songs. and. T_T. I regret that I wasted so many years NOT listening to him. He's.....yeah. <3 mmhm.

Guest Tonyc402

O__O;

I read some of the comments, and geez, like....WHAT?

Okay, soooo um, I think Kpop has better performers, like they're usually more focused on being "the whole package" (acting, singing, dancing, blahblahblah), while Cpop has better, like.....talented songwriter-singers (who usually can't dance, but singers, IMO, shouldn't be "required" to dance well to be considered as good). I'm suprised at how everyone's like "oh, cpop is so unoriginal they just rip off Korean songs!", but it's not as if Korean artists don't ever cover foreign songs (esp SM, recently. And it's not just english songs either, it's like, foreign songs in general.)

I think Chinese flows better than Korean....:[

I get sooo offended when I see posts like "oh Cpop doesn't have a lot of talented people", and while i'm trying to honor everyone's opinions or whatever, I still like get AKESGHIUD like WHAT??? Who have you been listening to?!? Yes, some of the boybands might not be.....as talented. Like FLH, but hey, gotta give them props for singing live even if they can't exactly sing...the right notes. :D;; but they've improved a lot since they first debuted, so yeah. :D

THANK YOU FOR SOMEONE WHO SEES THE SAME VIEW AS I DO !

Archived