[Drama 2004] What Happened In Bali 발리에서 생긴 일

Guest sunshine4ever

Guest sunshine4ever

[sBS] Ha Ji Won, Jo In Sung, So Ji Sup, Park Ye Ji

What-Happened-in-Bali1.jpg

Korean title: bali eh suh saeng gin il

Title: What Happened in Bali (Something Happened in Bali/Bali Story/Hearts in Bali/Memories of Bali)

Airing in Korea: Around January 19- March 7, 2004

Script Writer: Kim Ki Ho (김기호)

Episodes: 20

40th baek-sang awards: Best Script: Kim Ki Ho, Best actor: Jo In Sung, Best actress: Ha Ji Won

Official Site: What Happened at Bali Official Site @ SBS

More screen caps of JIS, HJW & SJS: WHIB screen caps site 1 |WHIB screen caps site 2

WHIB thread in Soompi forum: What Happened at Bali @ Soompi

Watch this series online: http://www.dramafever.com/drama/680/1/What_Happened_in_Bali/

CLIPS:
In order to download the clips, you need to download Net Transport to download the files:
http://www.xi-soft.com/download.htm

Music Video of OST of Happening in Bali "안되겠니(Can't it be me?)" by Jo Eun.
mms://eventvod.sbs.co.kr/event/bali_ost_mv2.wmv

Music video of OST of Happening in Bali "My Love" by Lee hyun seob.
mms://220.73.138.210/event/bali_ost_my_love.wmv

Fan Music Video:
mms://218.38.55.220/WMV_LOW_040126/0011/001199.wmv

Character description & Sypnosis: Written by dramaok

Ha Ji Won as Lee Soo Jung / 25 year old
Ha Ji Won plays someone who grew up poor and due to her brother getting in trouble all the time she had to be the one to hold the family together and responsible for their survival.
her character gets sick and tired of the daily grind and wants an escape to get rich and finally live life easier.. so when she learns about an opportunity to make money in bali she jumps on the chance leaving all things seoul related behind.

Jo In Sung as Jung Jae Min / 27 years old
jo in sung plays the rich son of a father but he lives in the shadow of his brother and though he has never disobeyed his father he slows breaks apart from him to 'find himself'..
he met park ye jin's character while studying in the u.s. and they become engaged with their family urging behind them.

So Ji Sup as Kang In Ook / 29 years old
so ji sup's character is complex and perhaps cold. he comes from a broken family and his mother is invovled in complicated relationships with men thus leaving him negative attitudes toward many things in life.
but upon meeting park ye-jin's character he felt the beauty of life for the first time in life.. however her family opposed their relationship and ultimately broke up their love, sending park to the u.s.
park and so meet again in bali... so ji-sup's character now has to deal with the desire to take revenge against jo.

Park Yae Jin as Yung Joo Yuk / 25 years old
park ye-jin is a smart, pretty, and rich have-it-all type with a broken heart from the love she shared with so ji-sup's character while they were in school.

'bali eh suh saeng gin il - what happened in bali' was the working title
when sbs first started working on this drama in sept/oct.. back then the
'rich guy' character was casted by film actor yoo oh-sung and the
'poor tough guy' character by jo in sung (he was the first to be casted).
then han chae young was casted for the 'rich girl' role and later
ha ji won got the 'poor girl role' but when yoo oh-sung and han chae young
both dropped out last month, sbs started using the title 'toasting to youth'
and the media started following them w/ the new title.. but i think since
ppl were already pretty hyped about the drama and words of 'bali eh suh saeng gil in'
was spread pretty wide.. so i think sbs went back to the original working title. and after so ji sup was casted they switched the characters so he would play the poor boy instead.
the offical page opens on 12.19.03 at sbs. the drama starts in korea on 1.3.04 at 9:45pm.

ha ji won plays someone who grew up poor and due to her brother getting in trouble all the time she had to be the one to hold the family together and responsible for their survival.
her character gets sick and tired of the daily grind and wants an escape to get rich and finally live life easier.. so when she learns about an opportunity to make money in bali she jumps on the chance leaving all things seoul related behind.
jo in sung plays the rich son of a father but he lives in the shadow of his brother and though he has never disobeyed his father he slows breaks apart from him to 'find himself'..
he met park ye jin's character while studying in the u.s. and they become engaged with their family urging behind them.
park ye-jin is a smart, pretty, and rich have-it-all type with a broken heart from the love she shared with so ji-sup's character while they were in school.
so ji sup's character is complex and perhaps cold. he comes from a broken family and his mother is invovled in complicated relationships with men thus leaving him negative attitudes toward many things in life.
but upon meeting park ye-jin's character he felt the beauty of life for the first time in life.. however her family opposed their relationship and ultimately broke up their love, sending park to the u.s.
park and so meet again in bali... so ji-sup's character now has to deal with the desire to take revenge against jo.

ed2k link
ed2k://|file|¹߸®¿¡¼­.»ý±ä.ÀÏ.(SBS.Ưº°±âȹ).OST.[dannyzzang].zip|63692003|82D7A21056090B4E0A26F9DC072A39EF|/

(credits to:gale)

this is the complete high quality mp3 OST held in a zip file. But for those who prefer http:// links, here you go~

IPB Image

1. Title
2. 욕망의 덫(Dream In Bali/hip-Hop Ver)(Dream in Bali/hip-Hop Ver.)
3.Remember - 오현란
4. 안되겠니 - 조
5.그게 사랑이니까 - 안젤로
6.My Love-이현섭
7.The Bali Story
8. Remember (Instrumental)
9. 그게 사랑이니까 (string & Piano) Inst.
10. My Love (Instrumental)
11.안되겠니
12. The Way- Angelo
13. The Way (guitar)
Edit: Tracks 14 and 15 are not working/don't exist
14. Title II
15.Love in Bali

or credit: armanigurl

발리에서 생긴 일OST - 이지혜
mms://211.239.127.239/ost/o7340100.wma
Title I. 욕망의 덫(Dream In Bali/hip-Hop Ver) Inst.
mms://211.239.127.239/ost/o7340101.wma
Remember - 오현란
mms://211.239.127.239/ost/o7340102.wma
안되겠니 - 조은
mms://211.239.127.239/ost/o7340103.wma
그게 사랑이니까 - 안젤로
mms://211.239.127.239/ost/o7340104.wma
My Love - 이현섭
mms://211.239.127.239/ost/o7340105.wma
The Bali Story (Piano) Inst.
mms://211.239.127.239/ost/o7340106.wma
Remember (Violin) inst.
mms://211.239.127.239/ost/o7340107.wma
그게 사랑이니까 (string & Piano) Inst.
mms://211.239.127.239/ost/o7340108.wma
My Love (Guiter) Inst.
mms://211.239.127.239/ost/o7340109.wma
안되겠니 (violi) Inst.
mms://211.239.127.239/ost/o7340110.wma
The Way - 안젤로
mms://211.239.127.239/ost/o7340111.wma
The Way (Guitar) Inst.
mms://211.239.127.239/ost/o7340112.wma
Title II. Love in Bali*Latin Ver) Inst.
mms://211.239.127.239/ost/o7340113.wma

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this series. The characters are so complex, nobody's reslly self-sacrificing and they're all selfish in their own ways which makes this drama more realistic. I didn't really like the ending since it was so sudden - very unexpected too, but overall, the series was fantastic - not everyone's cup of tea though.

I loved the chemistry between Ha Ji Won and Jo In Sung - my favourite couple as ill-fated as they were...

Han Chae Young as the rich girl would have been interesting...for some reason i see her as lee song joo more...

Guest Greentea

My first post to this thread..This drama is great n it keep me rewind thinking the story abt who Soo Jung really like..N of course the ending make me surprise..

The first time I saw Park Ye-jin in this drama, I thot she looked familiar. After checking out the Koreanwiz site on the actresses' page, I realised she played the youngest sister in '4 Sisters' with Chae Rim. My goodness, she seemed to have 'developed' overnight! No wonder I couldn't recognise her!

The first time I saw Park Ye-jin in this drama, I thot she looked familiar. After checking out the Koreanwiz site on the actresses' page, I realised she played the youngest sister in '4 Sisters' with Chae Rim. My goodness, she seemed to have 'developed' overnight! No wonder I couldn't recognise her!

Wow, I didn't recognise her. Four sisters was a drama I saw long ago...

hello sunshine

its so nice to see this BALI thread appear again

i think is one of the unforgettable k-drama series that i've watched . . . whatever the ending is

~ ;) and it's so nice seeing my favorite Bali couple in the shampoo commercial recently

Guest annieme25

i thot this drama was so cool~ so ji sup is so hot and jo in sung was pretty good at acting. Ahh..the memories. I dont really get the ending tho? so did they all just die? LOL

i thot this drama was so cool~ so ji sup is so hot and jo in sung was pretty good at acting. Ahh..the memories. I dont really get the ending tho? so did they all just die? LOL

basically [highlight to read] jae min shoots kang in wook, followed by soo-jung. She confesses her love for him. Then jae min goes out onto the beach and kills himself with the same gun - tragic isn't it?...the ending came as a real shock to me - disappointing as well...but then when i thought about it some more, how else could they have ended it - a very unique ending, even though it's not everyone's cup of tea

Guest JULIARGHHH

i really like this drama however i'm conflicted whether i like the ending or not. it's like i knew something like THAT would happen, a gut feeling i suppose, but i was really hoping for a fairytale ending. -_-

i finished the drama yesterday morning and the entire day i was constantly thinking about it even though i was occupied the entire time.

this was a great drama, but it's too sad for me to watch it again. i would cry...

o i also looooove the ost. even though i didn't understand the words but the music was very moving. it fits the scenes and the drama in general VERY well!

Guest sunshine4ever

Does anyone know a clubbox that I can download this drama in 350MB or 700MB? If you do please IM me. Thank you.

^where in d-addicts.com can i find it?

Go here for WHIB

http://clubbox.co.kr/soosiroo

if you can't read korean, just click on the folder that has 21 items and it'll show up whib...i'm at school my school can't read korean text therefore can't really paste the words for you guys

good luck with downloading whib...you can go here for the English subs:

http://d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10720

Also off topic a little, if you guys want to watch Spring Day, all the subs come out already..so you can also check out d-addicts for the subs and get the avi files from that clubbox also since that clubbox's dedicated to JIS.

I have enjoyed watching “What Happened In Bali” and would like to share my two-cents of thoughts on the drama.

Bali, a relaxing, tropical paradise surrounded by the scenic sea view and lined with soothing streams of golden sands…It is a perfect gateway for those seeking a breather from life’s pressure cooker.

As the title suggests, exactly WHAT HAPPENED IN BALI to the 4 protagonists?

Bumping into one another was the last thing they expected! A well-formulated getaway plan thwarted. A holiday for two turned into a crowd of four! Little did they realize, they were going to be entwined in a complex web of love, desire, jealousy and hatred. This holiday will become more than they bargained for and will set to change the course of their lives forever. Like an ant crawling on the edge of a stove with hot coals, they were about to be plunged into a dangerous zone of no return.

Lee Soo Jung (Ha Ji Won), a poor, simple girl, orphaned at a young age and burdened with a problematic brother. Tired of living in poverty, she dreamt of being with a rich man. She believed this was the key to escape her miserable life of poverty. Her dream materialized when she met Jae Min, the son of a rich and influential family. (Initially, she had mistaken In Wook to be the one, but it was rectified later on.) She secretly hoped to capture the attention of Jae Min and have a relationship with him, despite his nonchalant attitude, while at the same time, she found herself drawn to In Wook’s gentleness. Thus, she became torn between both men, Jae Min, the man of her dreams and In Wook, the gentle, sensitive man. It was difficult to determine which man she truly loved. She was attracted to the strong qualities of the two men, Jae Min, for his ability to provide her a life of luxury and In Wook, for his ability to give her the love she craved for. It seemed she could not live without either of them. She left with In Wook to Bali, yet her heart missed Jae Min when she was there. But on the other hand, she could not bear the thought of not being able to see In Wook again after he left for Bali. Her conflicting emotions agonized her deeply. How ideal would it be, if both men could merge into one!

If this was possible, she wouldn’t have to make the hard choice between them and she could have the best of both worlds!

Park Ye Jin (Choi Young Joo), the ex-girlfriend of In Wook, who was forced to leave him due to the arranged marriage between her and Jae Min. Basically, she striked me as a cold, selfish and spiteful woman. For one, she had an aloof exterior, which impressed me as a woman with little warmth or love within her. She claimed she loved In Wook, but I beg to differ. I wouldn’t term her feelings towards him as love, but rather, it was an obsession. She was obsessed with In Wook, because she had never met a man as masculine and attractive as him before. To her, he was very special. She had proposed for them to continue their relationship in secret after her marriage, but In Wook turned down her proposition. What depressed her further was the fact that In Wook fell in love with Soo Jung, a girl whom she felt was undeserving in every way. Anyway, she came to accept the idea of marrying Jae Min. But soon, she was hit by another distressing realization. She realized that Jae Min was in love with Soo Jung too. Consequently, her resentment towards Soo Jung was intensely fuelled. She felt undermined by Soo Jung. She had always seen herself more superior than Soo Jung in every way, in terms of background, appearance and intellect. Yet Soo Jung was able to steal the hearts of both men effortlessly, without even trying, whereas she couldn’t even feel a hint of affection from either man, no matter how hard she tried.

So Ji Sub (Kang In Wook), on the outside, he was cool and composed, highly intelligent and capable at work, but at heart, he was a sad and lonely man, yearning for love. His childhood had been an unhappy one. Raised by his mother single-handedly, every achievement he obtained was through his own hard work. He had never been in love before, until he met Soo Jung. It was not love at first sight. When he first met her in Bali, he didn’t have a very good impression of her. The incident whereby they shared a cab and he suddenly told her to get off the cab in the middle of nowhere was one indication.

Later, they met each other again in Korea, as she was living next door to him. He saw another side of her that he had never known before. He saw how pathetic she became because of her wretched brother. He witnessed her disappointments and sorrow. Her tears melted his heart. Slowly, he began to view her in a different light. Eventually, he fell deeply in love with her. His love towards Soo Jung was selfless too. Even though he knew Soo Jung would never be able to detach herself from Jae Min, he was willing to overlook this and offer her marriage. This showed the depth of his love for her. During the time they were together in Bali, though Soo Jung was physically with him, he knew in his heart, she was unhappy because she couldn’t forget Jae Min. Despite his heart was breaking, he decided to set her free. He told her that he wanted her to be free to do whatever she wanted and that he would always be waiting for her to come back to him. I could remember the look of pain in his eyes and the tears rolling down his face, as he said these words to her. What impressed me most about In Wook was his ability to maintain an unreadable expression and the only indication of his feelings was via his eyes.

Jo In Sung (Jung Jae Min), born with a silver spoon in his mouth and never had a care for anything occurring around him. However, he was terrified of his father. He was always nervous and visibly cringed under his father’s domineering presence. His father never had any qualms about hitting him with any object he could lay his hand on. It was upsetting to see the frequent harsh beatings he got from his father and the extent of his injuries resulting from them. This was the method Jae Min’s father employed to bend him to his will. No matter how hard he tried to express his opinions to his father, they always fell on deaf ears. These treatments had somehow affected his character and also, his figure of expression. Consequently, when he fell in love with Soo Jung, he did not know the right way to show his love for her. The only way he knew how to hold on to this love was to possess it fully. He wanted Soo Jung exclusively for himself, which was also the reason why he set her up in a house. If he couldn’t have her, he wouldn’t allow any other man, including In Wook, to have her too. In short, his love was very possessive. He was also a victim in his own right. Although he could have anything money could buy, he had no control over his own life. His career path and marriage partner were determined and arranged by his family. He had no right to choose what he really wanted. It made one wonder, what was the use of having all the money, but yet, no control over one’s own life?

Concluding remarks: It was sad that Soo Jung, In Wook and Jae Min had to meet such a tragic end. Maybe this would have been avoided, if Soo Jung had not wanted so much to escape her poor, miserable life. It was for this reason she began associating with Jae Min, in hope that he could bring her out of her poverty. Or perhaps, if Jae Min’s father had been more understanding towards him and allow him more control over his own life, he wouldn’t have become what he was, leading to the resultant tragedy.

SJS and JIS’s performance in the show is commendable. Both have given realistic portrayals of their characters. Also, not forgetting that they are very good-looking as well. Their wonderful performance, combined with their good looks, provided me maximum pleasure watching the show.

For SJS, besides “What Happened In Bali”, I have also watched him in “Glass Shoes” and “MISA”. I noticed that in all three shows, he died for the woman he loved. In “Glass Shoes”, he was stabbed to death, because he had wanted to save his kidnapped bride. In “MISA”, he died because of the two bullets lodged in his head, as he shielded his girlfriend from the gunshots. In “What Happened In Bali”, he was shot to death, also because of the woman he loved. I do hope that in his next show, he would live happily ever after with his ladylove.

Archived