Lee Dong Gun 이동건

pinkdicentra

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest jisung_15

Just finished "When It's At Night" and I'm glad I saw the drama despite the constant claim of poor ratings in Korea when it was shown back in 2008. Those who haven't seen it yet, please do watch because LDG and KSA were such a joy to watch, the dating scenes felt very real, and it was obvious they were having so much fun filming, the BTS, the few in existence on youtube, cannot lie.:wub: The plot was interesting too and LDG was convincing in his role, like he totally immersed himself in it, admirable! Go to dramaload for the best subs provided by MBC America. Enjoy watching everyone, please!:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello?! Anyone lurking around here? In case anyone's here wading through the dust and cobwebs, and ready to revive the thread, I'm going to start posting some recent updates. To start, here are the videos for an interview with the Laurel Tree Tailors cast and the Happy Together episode.

Baby pics! Super cute!! The baby photos of Dong Jin from ep. 26 of LTT are actually baby photos of LDG. This was confirmed by LDG himself on his fancafe (see spoilers below for screencap of response and comparison to other baby photos).

Screen_Shot_2016-12-06_at_8.04.50_PM.jpg

Screen_Shot_2016-12-06_at_8.05.08_PM.jpg

Screen_Shot_2016-12-06_at_8.05.33_PM.jpg

Screen_Shot_2016-12-06_at_8.06.13_PM_cop

Spoiler

The images below were capped/compiled by a fan from tieba baidu forums, so if anyone is going to repost these images, please credit the original source: @eli418 from tieba.baidu.com (link)

Top: Inquiry of pics on fancafe and LDG's response; Bottom: Pics on the left are LDG baby pics that have been revealed to the public in the past

0a66038ca9773912aaa4cb70f1198618377ae28c

bb-comparison2.jpg

A couple days ago, LDG was with Cha In Pyo, Song Eun Yi, Ryu Soo Young, etc. delivering coal briquettes. I'm guessing that it was his co-star who invited him to help, as Cha In Pyo and the other celebrities are involved in the Compassion Band, a part of the Christian charity organization, Compassion Korea.

@pinkdicentra annyeong chingu :blush:

heard you are here, here i am join you lurking this thread. hehe... hope we can make some "noise" here :phew:

thank you for sharing some photos of LDG especially those baby pics. he is super cute. he really sparks since baby. hahaha...but i like his haircut in wolgyesu tailor shop. his face is more charming there. i watch that drama because of him actually. hehe..

@valzki Thanks for joining in! I was worried I'd be here alone for a long while.

Yes, baby LDG is so cute. He already had quite soulful eyes as a toddler in the grey jacket photo. Dongjin wasn't lying when he said that he already had pretty eyes since he was three!

I realize that there aren't really any English articles/interviews of him from the last few years, since his return to dramaland after a long hiatus. There are more Chinese fans who can understand Korean, so I've been able to access more translated interviews. As a hope to generate discussion and have more recent fans know more about him, I'm starting to translate those interviews into English. Please stay tuned for those posts.

Before looking at older articles, I'll repost this from the Laurel Tree Tailors thread first, LDG as a guest on costar Jo Yoon Hee's radio show in late October.

There are no English subs, but someone has subbed the first half into Chinese: Source: Part 1, Part 2

I've translated the Chinese into English.

Spoiler

All Korean to Chinese translations are credited to user hpterence at tieba.baidu.com. There's a disclaimer that he/she is not super fluent in Korean, and since I'm also not super fluent in Chinese, these translations can be inaccurate.

Music: Bang Bang Bang (Big Bang)

JYH: We have good news today. In a while, my partner from Laurel Tree Tailors, Lee Dong Gun will be here. Ever since last week when news that LDG will guest on the show, everyone has been curious about when it would happen. It’s today, so don’t miss it. For those curious about LDG, please send along your messages or comments. Today’s topic is TV drama’s famous quotes. Seeing LDG, what quote would you think about? Yes, it must be that one.

Reads listener comments:

Comment 1: Don’t understand the comment and JYH’s response.

Comment 2:  JYH DJ isn’t doing the program today? Who’s the high school girl? (referring to how JYH looks so young)

JYH: Please don’t say that. DG oppa outside will scold me (don’t know why, maybe it meant he’ll tease her).

Comment 3: LDG is coming today? Weren’t you two not close? That’s strange.

JYH: LDG and I were very awkward in the beginning because we are both introverted. But we are now very close. You can ask him when he’s here.

Comment 4: LDG is really coming, wow.

JYH: That’s right. I’m really thankful. Before I asked him, he already said that he should come on Volume Up. He was first to suggest it. But his schedule is very tight. It’s been hard, but finally he can come today.

Comment 5: Because of LDG oppa, I ditched someone to stay at home and wait.

JYH: Really? When LDG is here, you can hear some interesting stories.

Commercial break.

Music: Laurel Tree Tailors OST – Say Say Say (Ji Soo)

JYH: From the popular drama with over 30% ratings, playing Lee Dong Jin from Laurel Tree Tailors is Lee Dong Gun. Welcome.

LDG: Hello. I’m happy to see everyone. I’m LDG who plays Dong Jin.

JYH: We meet everyday to shoot the drama but we are at the KBS radio station today. The feeling’s kind of fresh.

LDG: It was hard to get here. We were at Asan recording for 5 hours and 20 minutes. Our car was careful to follow JYH’s car but after halfway, we lost you as your car was too fast.

JYH: Because we were afraid of being late so we had to speed over here.

LDG: I just got here. After drinking a cup of tomato juice that JYH treated me with, I came here quietly.

JYH: Oh it was like that. LDG, please formally say hello to the Volume Up family.

LDG: Hello everyone. It’s been a long time. In the drama, our Candy (referring to JYH or maybe YS) and I have been working for a while and I’ve been asking her to invite me on the show.

JYH: Yes, and I didn’t invite you.

LDG: Yes, you didn’t invite me. It was probably my own misunderstanding. That’s what I thought. And then I continued to work hard on the drama. And now I’m able to come here to see everyone. I’m so happy.

JYH: It’s not like that. Actually I wanted to invite you but because we weren’t close in the beginning, it would feel weird.

LDG: But we were already close a while ago.

JYH: Yes, since we’ve gotten closer I’ve been asking you to come on the show. But we’ve been so busy.

JYH reads comments:

Comment 1: Ah, big event. It’s warm.

Comment 2: I can see LDG. The look with the cap suits him.

JYH: Say hi to the camera (LDG waves).

LDG reads comments:

Comment 1: LDG (the reader spells his name wrong so there’s a discussion about that) is so handsome. So envious of JYH DJ.

JYH reads comments:

Comment 1: Wow. Just turned on the radio. (something else I don’t understand)

Comment 2: What kind of voice is this? Both sweet and steady, a really handsome voice. 

JYH: Yes, your voice is very handsome, LDG.

LDG: Thanks. Just as you know, I won’t be letting my voice “volume up” here (he means raising his pitch but it’s a play on the program’s name KBS Volume Up)

JYH: Is that a complaint towards me? When we went on Happy Together, I hoped that we could heighten the pitches of our voices to promote the drama.

LDG: Yeah, when saying “hope everyone likes the drama.”

JYH: And because of LDG, I got into more of a depressing mode. But recently, I’ve been laughing a lot because of LDG. You know that? Laughing because of LDG, which caused NG’s, right? In the beginning, I really didn’t laugh. Even if I forced myself I couldn’t.

LDG: Now you understand my humor?

JYH: Yes. I’m used to it. In the beginning, it’s like I couldn’t see the real LDG. He kept saying these gags that weren’t funny, but now he doesn’t say them. (I’m missing something here). Since going on Happy Together until now, there’s been a 180 degrees difference.  You know, LDG?

LDG: Going on the radio is such a good thing. I will come again.

JYH: I will talk later about how my thoughts have changed.  But LDG isn’t unfamiliar with radio broadcasts. Approximately 10 years or 11 years (not sure if she just meant over ten years, because the timing’s not right), at that time . . .

LDG: Right, at 8 o’clock

JYH: A top program, you were the DJ for the program. LDG’s Click 2020.

LDG: It was at 20:20 so it was named Click 2020. Now it can’t be 2020.

JYH: It could be changed to 2030 or 3040 (Not sure if it’s correct. That time doesn’t exist)

LDG: 3040? Let’s do it together.

JYH: Yes, let’s do it together. So how did it feel to be a DJ at the time? You seem to have a special affection for it.

LDG: There must be some sort of attraction, but when I was in school I listened to a lot of broadcasts. And these broadcasts gave me certain feelings (I think this is what he meant). Like when we develop the affection for things that we like when were young. So if there was a chance to do it, I would. So my first chance was with Click 2020. But it was soon cancelled.

JYH: Why?

LDG: Because at 8 o’clock supper time, hearing my kind of (deep) voice . . . It was because of my voice that I left the program.

JYH: So your voice was also this deep in 2020?

LDG: It was the same as usual.

JYH: Really?

LDG: I haven’t changed much. That’s one thing I’m proud of.

JYH: Your looks haven’t changed much either.

LDG: Yes, it’s good that there hasn’t been much change.

JYH: Yes everyone, there aren’t even wrinkles.

LDG: Because my skin is (thick, elastic, not sure, the translation stopped here).

JYH: Really?

LDG: So like that the wrinkles just disappear!

JYH: Yes, it’s like there aren’t any wrinkles, so few.

LDG: I even have the guts to talk about wrinkles and such in front of JYH. I shouldn’t do that (referring to JYH’s youthful looks).

JYH: No, no. I don’t have much confidence in my skin. But when you were a DJ, did you make any mistakes?

LDG: I made lots of mistakes.

JYH: A mistake that you can still remember?

LDG: This is something I still can’t forget. When it’s time to go on air we have to turn everything off and then I’m supposed to start talking. That’s very important. Maybe I was already familiar, very comfortable with being a DJ, but that day, beside the mic was a bottle of vitamins. The type that you just eat (or maybe it’s pour into the mouth). Lemon flavor. So I looked at the time and there was 30 seconds left. For a DJ, 30 seconds is a long time. So I just naturally took it and gulped it down, swallowed in full. The people outside kept pointing to the mic but I was choking for nearly 2 minutes. I couldn’t talk at all during the 2 minutes. Even while choking I still wanted to speak, so the choking got worse. I still can’t forget this occurrence.

JYH: That was a very serious mistake.

LDG: So during the broadcasts, don’t eat anything.

JYH: So far I haven’t made such a serious mistake.

LDG: To now I still don’t know who put the vitamins beside me. You should be careful. If interpersonal problems arise, there’s a possibility you can be harmed (or pranked).

JYH: That’s so interesting. Actually, I think I’ve made a similar mistake. At the end, isn’t there an ending goodbye part? Let’s meet again tomorrow, something like that. I said let’s listening to the commercials and meet again. But after the commercial it ended. It’s not until the next day that we are back to meet again.

LDG: Isn’t it because we were shooting the drama a couple days ago?

JYH: Yes, we were filming, so I was too tired and not enough mental energy. At the end I’m supposed to say goodbye to the listeners but I didn’t.

LDG: That was interesting.

JYH: Our NGs are all collected by the PD right? All the areas that we make mistakes are collected and put into a special to be broadcast. That’s too shameful.

LDG: But that would be very amusing.

JYH: That’s too annoying.

LDG: When it’s the special, I will have to come again. 

JYH: Yes, come again when it’s the special broadcast, on the 1 year anniversary.

LDG: So that will be next year?

JYH: Yes, it will be after we finish the drama.

LDG: After the drama finishes?

JYH: Right, so sorry. (both laugh)

JYH: At that time, who were the regular guests? Or the guests that you still have strong impressions of? (referring back to Click 2020)

LDG: It’s been so long ago. Really. We just said it was 11 years ago. Actually it’s almost 20 years ago. Honestly, I remember doing the radio show around the year 1999 or 2000. So there were a lot of 90s singers, those were active then. We didn’t have regular guests.

JYH: If you have a chance to be a DJ again, I will have to be a guest.

LDG: I know.

JYH: Now it’s time for the “ridiculous run.” (She introduces some kind of special segment) Today we have LDG as special guest; the segment will also use LDG’s past drama, prepared using LDG’s famous drama line. LDG? Which drama and which line? Are you aware?

LDG: I know it.

JYH: Really? The script is all out.

LDG: Sorry.

JYH: So today’s caller must get this without hint since it’s too famous. So if the first caller fails, I will as a present . . . (translation lost here) But I think they will do well . . . (more stuff) So who will get the call? (caller description) “I really like LDG. Let it be me.” Oh, it’s LDG’s fan, so they should get it right.

LDG: But it would be funny if they got it wrong.

JYH: Ok let’s answer the phone.

LDG: It feels like 20 years ago.

JYH: Hello. It’s JYH’s Volume Up.

LDG: Hello. It’s today’s guest, LDG.

Caller: Oh, LDG! I’m a long time fan of yours!

LDG: Thank you. This isn’t a pre-selected person is it?

JYH: No.

Caller: Now I’m really energetic.

JYH: Today’s topic is LDG’s drama line. You know?

Caller: Yes, I just got off the car. I was listening to the broadcast as I got off work.

JYH: Ok, let’s start.

Plays a segment of Lovers in Paris.

JYH: Cue.

Caller: In here, there’s you.

JYH: Success! Of course, I knew that the first one would be correct. But LDG, I still want to hear it again, so perform it again similar to that time, ok?

LDG: Of course. (Plays segment of Lovers in Paris). In here, there’s you. I don’t know who is in your heart, but in my heart there’s you.

JYH: Ah!

Music: Lovers in Paris OST – To Your Side (Jo Sung Mo)

@pinkdicentra let's be friends :wub:

haha...yes he wasn't lying when he said he had pretty eyes since three. that is one of the fact of LDG that writer-nim put in the script. 

I didn't see him for quite long time in drama. since his appearance in this wolgyesu, he really gives the fresh start and act. i did realize changing in his voice. i saw him in his old drama (forgot the title,sorry) his voice now is more mature. he had funny voice i think in his old drama. didn't suite him as a namja. haha...

Wah...i am waiting for it, chingu. you are beyond amazing. hehe...thank you so much for the translation since i don't understand chinese even i'm chinese as well :sweatingbullets: 

@valzki Thanks chingu for your lovely words! This is the first time I've been asked to be friends online. Well, to be honest, I never commented online before this drama.

I've been going through the older articles (around 2013/2014) and he seems a lot happier now, so the mood doesn't seem to fit with the Wolgyesu mood. To not distract us from this weekend's episodes, I'll probably post a translated article after the weekend.

Interesting that you are Chinese too. I'm actually more fluent in English, can't type Chinese and don't understand Mandarin (I know some Cantonese though). But I spent so much time reading Chinese entertainment news (and translations of Korean stuff) that I can get the gist of most entertainment content, LOL!

@pinkdicentra i never asked someone to be friends online before actually.haha...but i love to make friends :wub:

I'm more fluent in English though and now trying to learn korean since i love watching kdrama. Mandarin is hard to learn.haha... even i knew that Mandarin/Chinese is the 2nd must-learned language. i'm counting on you chingu in this one :wub: so nice to know your intention in learning the language because of that. and it is so good to learn many languages as possible. hehe..

2 hours ago, peggygordon said:

Hi there i'm back to this thread since my last comment in 2014...wohooo thanks chinggu @pinkdicentra remind me to support our lovely boy Lee Dong shiiii 

I've read in someone Instagram that LDG has nominee for KBS Award 2016, glad to hear that. I hope he'll win.

@peggygordon Welcome back to the thread! I don't think I visited the thread since 2013 until recently, but I was going through the last few pages and happy to see you were here.

I think there are only 3 drama awards that are open to public voting: best couple(s), popular actor, and popular actress. LDG is nominated in the popular actor category, but honestly I don't think he stands a chance against his highly popular competitors. Hopefully he can get something from the other categories that KBS are giving out. It's been a long time since he's been at an awards ceremony (he did go to the 2015 APAN awards but it felt weird to me).

Spoiler

There was a photo on instagram yesterday of LDG, Kim Ji Suk, Lee Jin Wook and On Joo Wan celebrating a friend's birthday. It was late for me, so I didn't post it. The person has since changed their account to private, so I can only share this info quietly here.

Archived