Kwon Sang Woo 권상우

Admin

[Orion's Daily Ramblings] Cheeky Couple Poster for "Mystery Queen Season 2"

photo941754.jpg

Oh "Mystery Queen", you are so delightfully geeky. The drama's upcoming second season, "Mystery Queen Season 2" has released its second main poster, only this time it's the equivalent of the first season's international one. Instead of trading city streets for icy lonesome roads, this one trades the desk for the field.

We know that Seol-ok (Choi Kang-hee) can probably be more involved this time around, and if she has permission to do so, Wan-seung (Kwon Sang-woo) will not have to keep avoiding her discovery either. The two can confidently do their job, which seems much flashier than it used to be. I wonder if the big case they cracked while undercover gave them a little boost.

photo941753.jpg

The poster itself continues on the comedic streak of this season. I love how the two sit like superstars on a filming set here, despite clearly being in front of a crime scene, complete with blood, police equipment and those sneaky little evidence markers spelling out the drama's release date. Now that's a touch I really appreciate, because it welcomes audiences to enjoy the entirety of the poster, and rewards them for it.

On a more character-related note, what really strikes me about the two posters for this season is how much more comfortable the two partners look with each other. In both scenarios, they are physically very close together, in contrast to the tag-along nature of Seol-ok's placement in the first season's posters. I look forward to seeing their friendship develop.

"Mystery Queen Season 2" has also been releasing stills for other darling members of this squad, which I am gathering like my life depends on it. I plan on writing about them sometime this week.

photo941752.jpg

Written by: Orion from 'Orion's Ramblings'

credit : Hancinema

[Orion's Daily Ramblings] New Beginnings and Old Habits in Third Teaser for "Mystery Queen Season 2"

photo942049.jpg

Confusing my mother with exclamatory interjections upon checking my phone was not how I planned to start my morning, but the third teaser for "Mystery Queen Season 2" is here and it truly feels like coming back to a beloved duo's adventures after a long break. The teaser continues the little story which has been forming, but Seol-ok makes a startling revelation.

I was already having fun seeing Wan-seung's (Kwon Sang-woo) usual temper piled on a partly relaxed, partly entertained Seol-ok (Choi Kang-hee), but then our mystery queen throws one giant ton of bricks on us. "Don't ignore me. I'm a cop now too". I barely had time to enjoy Wan-seung's salty response before her words hit me. It looks like Seol-ok has joined the force in some capacity after all, which will just make her confident meddling into what Wan-seung clearly still considers not her business all the move enjoyable.

The teaser also continues the ongoing investigation we have been seeing take place in reverse through these videos, which is a great idea for promotional teasers. It piques curiosity, because we see results before we see what leads to them. It also reveals where our characters are at in terms of their roles in the investigation little by little.

I know I said I'd cover the supporting cast and their news stills yesterday, which are still coming, but I wanted to share this with you. If you're new to the series, I highly recommend giving the first season a go. If you're a fan already, let's join virtual hands in anticipation.

The darlings are coming home.

credit : Hancinema

Kwon Sang Woo's special efforts to pull off hard-core action scenes! [Queen of Mystery 2]

Actor Kwon Sang Woo turns into the first-rate homicide detective Ha Wanseung in 'Queen of Mystery Season 2'.

151799050520180207_005422.jpg

151799051220180207_010326.jpg

Together with Yu Seolok and a skilled investigative unit, he will solve the cases while beating up some criminals on the way. His cool stunts will give the viewers a blast of catharsis.

For every scene, the actor works with the martial arts team to create the best action scenes. His burning passion could even heat up this freezing weather.

The staff of the drama said, 'Kwon Sang Woo practices thoroughly with the martial arts team before shooting, so that his partners wouldn't get hurt. The staff is impressed by how he pulls off the barehanded actions and challenging action scenes.'

Kwon Sang Woo is striving to portray an upgraded version of detective Ha Wanseung. He is working on things as subtle as habits, tone, gestures and movements. Let's look forward to his transformation!

'Queen of Mystery Season 2' premieres on KBS World on February 22, 2018.

credit : KBS Global

• 2 weeks later...

Watch: Cast of “Mystery Queen 2” Have A Wacky Dance Party In Funny New Teaser

Mystery-Queen-2.jpg

KBS’s “Mystery Queen 2” has released another comical teaser, and this time, the theme is a dance party.

“Mystery Queen 2” centers around a housewife and police detective who team up to solve ordinary crimes together.

In the beginning of the teaser, Choi Kang Hee is dancing in a kitchen where disco lights are flashing around while Lee Da Hee and Kim Hyun Sook stand there looking speechless. She motions for someone to join her, and in comes Kwon Sang Woo, her partner in solving crimes. Soon, the entire cast starts to dance, including Oh Min Seok and Park Byung Eun.

There is a twist at the end of the video, as the kitchen that once was a dance floor turns into a crime scene.

The first episode of “Mystery Queen 2” will air on February 28.

Check out the teaser below!

Before the premiere of the second season, catch up by watching the first season of “Mystery Queen.”

credit : soompi news

*** AOA’s Mina is joining “Mystery Queen Season 2".  She will play the role of Shin Na Ra, the daughter of Chief Seo (Kim Jong Soo). Her character works as a constable at a police station and receives special treatment from the others because her father is the chief. :lol:

Kwon Sang Woo And Choi Kang Hee Act Suspicious In “Mystery Queen 2”

Kwon-Sang-Woo-Choi-Kang-Hee1.jpg

KBS 2TV’s upcoming drama “Mystery Queen Season 2” has released new stills of its leads Kwon Sang Woo and Choi Kang Hee.

See Also: "Mystery Queen 2" Unveils Charismatic Poster Of Main Cast

“Mystery Queen 2” is the second season of popular mystery-comedy drama “Mystery Queen.” The drama is about a woman named Yoo Seul Ok (played by Choi Kang Hee), who gave up her dream of becoming a detective after marrying a prosecutor, and a police detective named Ha Wan Seung (Kwon Sang Woo), who solves any case that comes his way.

In the first set of stills, Ha Wan Seung walks out of a police station holding a ladder and a banner. He then climbs up to secure the banner in front of the station. The scene takes place at Ha Wan Seung’s new workplace, Joongjin Police Station, which is well-known for its violent crimes unit.

The photos raise the question of whether Ha Wan Seung has managed to continue his successful streak as an ace detective at his new station or whether his new assignment marked the beginning of an era of hardship.

Mystery-Queen-23.jpg

Meanwhile, Choi Kang Hee has completely transformed her look in her latest stills. Adorned with expensive-looking accessories, she looks relaxed and glamorous, with an entirely different aura from Season 1.

She is also seen next to Jun Soo Kyung (playing the role of Bok Soon), smiling and holding shopping bags, leading viewers to wonder about the nature of their relationship.

What changes have these characters gone through and what unpredictable things will come their way?

“Mystery Queen Season 2” will premiere on February 28 at 10 p.m. KST.

Before the premiere, catch up on the first season of “Mystery Queen” below!

Watch Now

Source (1) (2) / soompi news

[Orion's Daily Ramblings] The Loud and Hidden Changes of "Mystery Queen Season 2"

photo947138.jpg

We have new stills of the intrepid duo of "Mystery Queen Season 2" out this week, and they raise some questions about where our two leads currently are in life and at work. While Wan-seung seems mostly the same, our tsundere's career has been teased as getting much juicier. Seol-ok's style and demeanor have changed entirely, but I suspect our lovely queen is also largely the same.

The drama's production has been teasing a step up in life for our hero, so perhaps we are in for a promotion and tougher cases for Wan-seung (Kwon Sang-woo). Despite this teasing, the kind grumpy pants doesn't seem to have changed a whole lot. In the stills, Wan-seung can be seen involved in a banner raising, while Seol-ok (Choi Kang-hee) looks over his work. Perhaps our hero starts low once more and climbs up. Perhaps he wants his enemies to feel at ease.

photo947133.jpg

Seol-ok's transformation is much louder, and these stills present a mystery queen who is going all out on pampering herself with outlandish, expensive fashion. Is this her liberated lifestyle, or does the presence of notorious con artist, Bok-soon (Jeon Soo-kyung), mean that this is undercover work? Seol-ok looks much flashier, much more confident in other material we have seen, so I hope that this is a little bit of both, since I'd love to have Bok-soon around for a bit as well.

"Mystery Queen Season 2" is premiering in a week, but KBS will be airing two specials on the 21st and 22nd. According to the news, the specials are "Mystery Queen" highlights, and essentially a recap of the first season for new viewers, as well as those who need a short and sweet revisiting of it in preparation of the new installment. I might check those out myself.

Credit : Hancinema

[Orion's Daily Ramblings] Crime and Comedy in New "Mystery Queen Season 2" Trailer

photo947977.jpg

It's not every morning that I wake up this happy, but a brand new trailer for "Mystery Queen Season 2" will do that. The drama finally reveals much more than we had previously seen, and what it reveals is laced with action, comedy and the great mysteries faced by power duo Seol-ok and Wan-seung.

After constantly teasing Seol-ok's (Choi Kang-hee) current status, the trailer drops the goods of her joining the force, which has made her confident and bold. I love the smug look she has upon arresting a suspect and how she fake-sheepishly flashes her badge, probably at Wan-seung (Kwon Sang-woo), who will no doubt complain all the time while being extremely proud of her.

photo947979.jpg

The trailer introduces a lot of the supporting cast, and they all look like a hoot and a half. I think my favorite element has to be the newly dropped villain, however. You can't get any more Scooby-doo-ish than wearing a bad knock-off of the "Scream" outfit with a fancy mask, and talking like you love the sound of your own voice. He's cheesy, and I love it.

I can't wait to meet all the new characters and see what kind of quirks they have, because the supporting cast of "Mystery Queen" was one of the elements which made it so delightful. I'm sure we get more fun personalities this time around as well. "Mystery Queen Season 2" will be airing next Wednesday, February 28th on KBS 2TV.

Credit : Hancinema

'Queen of Mystery 2,' first TV series with new season, same cast on major network

By Woo Jae-yeon

SEOUL, Feb. 26 (Yonhap) -- Yoo Seol-ok has divorced. She is no longer a housewife but challenges herself to realize her lifelong dream of becoming a detective.

"Queen of Mystery" is back with its second season, becoming South Korea's first TV series on a major terrestrial network to produce the second season written by the same scriptwriter and featuring the same cast members.

AEN20180226009700315_03_i.jpg

The cast members of "Queen of Mystery 2" pose for photos during a media event in Seoul on Feb. 26, 2018. (Yonhap)

At a media event held in Seoul on Monday, producer Choi Yoon-suk said the new season tells a funnier, more suspenseful and engaging story than the first season.

"As Yoo Seol-ok becomes a policewoman, the scale of her investigation gets bigger. She no longer goes after small cases happening in her neighborhood," said the producer.

"The second season will be more fun and engaging as TV viewers can solve the mystery together with the cast," he said, adding that the new series adds comedy, romance and bromance to the first season.

The first season of "Queen of Mystery," aired on KBS2 from April 5 to May 25, 2017, revolved around Yoo, played by Choi Kang-hee, the wife of a prosecutor who had dreams her whole life of becoming a police officer, and detective Ha Wan-seung.

The two made an unlikely investigative duo and collaborated on solving multiple cases. As Yoo becomes a policewoman in the new season, her detective skills and instinct are expected to improve, and the teamwork between the two will become stronger, the producer said, promising more action and realistic stories.

"We had really good chemistry with each other while filming the first season. I was always happy to come to work on the set and wished we could do it again some time in the future," said actor Kwon Sang-woo, who plays detective Ha. "I am so glad that we are together again to shoot the second season."

AEN20180226009700315_04_i.jpg

Actors Choi Kang-hee (L) and Kwon Sang-woo pose for photos before a media event in Seoul on Feb. 26, 2018. (Yonhap)

A lot of media attention was cast on the fact that the drama is the first to produce a second season by a major network, featuring the same actors.

Actress Kim Hyeon-sook, who plays Yoo's friend Kim Kyung-mi, had one or two things to share with reporters about the new season.

Since 2007, she has been playing the main character in "Ugly Miss Young-ae," a long-running sitcom on cable channel tvN, which is now in its 16th season.

"I think it is incredible to make the second season of a 'genre' drama in which a female character takes a leading role in solving problems," she said.

"Basically the actors should really love their series to make it possible," she added.

Lee Seong-min, the scriptwriter from the first season, works on the second one as well, while Choi, the producer of popular comedy drama "Good Manager," also known as "Chief Kim," aired last year on the same network, has taken up the new director's role.

At the end of the event, the actor Kwon said he expected TV viewers to "return" to "Queen of Mystery 2," apparently taking aim at SBS' drama "Return" which airs on the same time slot.

The new series is set to premiere at 10 p.m. Wednesday.

jaeyeon.woo@yna.co.kr

(END)

credit : Yonhap News

*** Can't wait for "Mystery Queen 2".  Everyone seems to love it! I loved the 1st one. Looking forward to the bickering. I just hope that Season 2 will have a proper ending.  I am hoping it will be much more fun ride than last season. Well, my motto is always "hope for the best & prepare for the worst" - hahaha -  :lol:

February 27, 2018

‘Queen of Mystery’ is back with more laughs

26221050.jpg

“Queen of Mystery” is back with its second season, becoming Korea’s first TV series on a major terrestrial network to produce a second season written by the same scriptwriter and featuring the same cast members.

At a media event held in Seoul on Monday, producer Choi Yoon-suk said the new season tells a funnier, more suspenseful and engaging story than the first season.

The main character Yoo Seol-ok has divorced. She is no longer a housewife but challenges herself to realize her lifelong dream of becoming a detective.

“As Yoo Seol-ok becomes a policewoman, the scale of her investigation gets bigger. She no longer goes after small cases happening in her neighborhood,” said the producer.

The first season of “Queen of Mystery” aired on KBS2 from April 5 to May 25, 2017, and revolved around Yoo, played by Choi Kang-hee, the wife of a prosecutor who had dreams her whole life of becoming a police officer, and detective Ha Wan-seung.

The two made an unlikely investigative duo and collaborated on solving multiple cases. As Yoo becomes a policewoman in the new season, her detective skills and instinct are expected to improve, and the teamwork between the two will become stronger, the producer said, promising more action and realistic stories.

“We had really good chemistry with each other while filming the first season. I was always happy to come to work on the set and wished we could do it again some time in the future,” said actor Kwon Sang-woo, who plays detective Ha. “I am so glad that we are together again to shoot the second season.” Yonhap

credit : JoongAngDaily

Mystery Queen 2

premiere_mystery2.jpg

Time slot: Wednesday & Thursday
Broadcaster: KBS
Genre: Crime mystery comedy
Episode count: 16

Reasons to watch: Choi Kang-hee and Kwon Sang-woo make an adorable pair as a mystery-novel-obsessed ajumma and a detective who end up solving unusual (and really interesting) neighborhood crimes together, and we’re getting a legitimate Season 2 that continues the original story, penned by the same writer. This season we pick up with the heroine having made her dream come true by joining the police force. I’m probably going to miss her being a busybody ajumma and having to lie to her mother-in-law just to go sleuthing, but it’s not like she’ll get a personality transplant just because she has a badge now. We’ve also been promised some romance for the second season, which I’m pretty excited about. They’ve had an entire season to become bickering reluctant partners who end up trusting each other implicitly, so I can’t wait to throw some romance into the mix. I’m sure it’ll only make them bicker more, and what’s not to love about that?

*** I'm not really into Part 2 or sequels but when it comes to KSW, I'm always in. :lol:

“Mystery Queen 2” Returns And Here’s What To Expect

Mystery-Queen-24.jpg

The long-awaited first episode of “Mystery Queen 2” will be airing tonight!

Here are three main things to look out for this season.

Mystery Queen’s Real Challenge

Mystery Queen Yoo Seol Ok (Choi Kang Hee) is fully determined to become a police officer. During the end of Season 1, Ha Wan Seung (Kwon Sang Woo) questioned her, “Aren’t you going to take the police exam? Come under me this time round and I will take good care of you.” In response to that, she teased, “Why must I be under you?~” making us anticipate what’s to come.

mystery-queen.jpg

Creditable and Coordinated Investigations

The comeback of the Ha Seung Wan-Yoo Seol Ok duo is expected to be intense from the start of Season 2. Despite the constant squabbles between the king of intuition and queen of deduction, the pair had great chemistry and a knack for unravelling cases. This season will feature even larger scale cases. The comedic and action-packed duo is not be missed!

Mystery-Queen-2-1.jpg

Subtle Romance

Yoo Seol Ok’s biggest change was when she became single and gained her freedom. It will be interesting to see what changes may take place between the two comrades who share good feelings with one another. Through the released teasers, the duo seem closer than ever. The subtle romance between Ha Seung Won and Yoo Seol Ok may gradually bloom, making fans extremely excited.

A staff member commented, “The first episode will be one that keeps you on the edge from the start. I hope that the viewers can sense the ‘fighting’ spirit of the actors and staff working hard on set through the drama. We would appreciate your support.”

The first episode of “Mystery Queen 2” airs tonight at 10 p.m. KST!

Check out the first season if you haven’t below!

Watch Now

Source (1) / soompi news

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Mystery Queen Season 2" Episode 1

photo950032.jpg

The time for crime solving with a hefty dose of chaos and cutesy romantic antics has come, as "Mystery Queen Season 2" brings back all the things we love, and adds a fresh and thrilling wrapping. The episode wastes no time in getting us all caught up with where everything and everyone stands, and there are a lot of things currently happening in our heroes' lives, including the most awkward and sweet romance.

Season two dives right in, and while this has a few negative sides to it that I will speak about in a bit, it is a fun and familiar ride. Romance gets a big boost to the foreground, but the creators have found a very casual and endearing way of inserting it. The budding relationship between our intrepid duo is something that simply happened over the course of the time we have been away, which makes it feel like a natural part of the characters' lives that need not invade everything else.

photo950029.jpg

It feels so great seeing familiar characters and places in "Mystery Queen Season 2". Even if some of these appearances are cameos, it just shows that the creators understand how deeply viewers loved the little weird world they built. From Seol-ok's (Choi Kang-hee) former mother-in-law and mother-like figure to the convenience store owner, it feels like being back home. It is also enjoyable to see old habits, such as Seol-ok's wanted poster database and her terrible, terrible cooking.

Not everything can or should remain the same, however, and one obvious change in terms of style are things like the directing, editing and the music. The episode has some really nice touches. I love the tragic transition of the victimized bride from a day of happiness to a day of tragedy. The little animations for the romantic moments and snappy editing can be fun as well, but the latter can feel a bit overwhelming. Overwhelming is an understatement for the music as well. I hope the music director can relax a bit moving forward.

If I have one complaint about episode one aside from the occasional editing and music issues, it would be that the plot feels a bit hectic as well. This is understandable, as we need to catch up to a present we have not seen develop. From the characters' current relationships and work issues to the new cast, there is a lot of ground to cover. At the same time, this leaves little space for the focus on the opening case and its victims, which is a shame.

As for the eternal elephant in the room called Seo Hyun-soo (Hong Soo-hyun), it is the number one open end left over from "Mystery Queen", so I am glad we get to see it again right off the bat. It is also something in Wan-seung's (Kwon Sang-woo) past that needs addressing for his sake. I do wonder what this means in terms of guest appearances, however. Will Jang Gwang make a comeback?

All in all, this is a fun premiere episode for a familiar love.

"Mystery Queen Season 2" is directed by Choi Yoon-seok-II and Yoo Yeong-eun-I, written by Lee Seong-min-II and features Choi Kang-hee, Kwon Sang-woo, Park Byung-eun and Kim Hyun-sook.

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Mystery Queen Season 2" Episode 2

photo950317.jpg

It is time for us to meet the cheesy arsonist seen in the highlight reel, as he is the first culprit Seol-ok gets to practice her newfound authority through. Life is not easy or glamorous for her and Wan-seung, and there are more enemies and rivals around than there are currently allies. Friends from the past are cold, while new faces enter the game, some friendly and some overly so. Then again, you do not get proposed to by drunk strangers every day.

Our fancy pastry chef, Jeong Hee-yeon (Lee Da-hee) is clearly the one who received Wan-seung's (Kwon Sang-woo) ring, and episode two introduces her as a suspicious and overly keen on the investigation character. We already know that she is a lead, which means that there is no grand conspiracy behind her at this time, but making her a suspect who will turn into a partner serves the current subplot, as well as the hints of jealousy for our now OTP.

Our new characters are not very beneficial to Wan-seung and Seol-ok (Choi Kang-hee) either. I cannot really blame those who dislike Wan-seung; the lawsuits and damages he has brought to the force alone would make him infamous anywhere. What I enjoy about Seol-ok's own struggles is that the series does not sugar-coat her lacking aspects or dismiss them for convenience. She may be a genius, but she is not fit for any and every type of police work, and that is fine.

I still feel a bit overwhelmed by the show's editing and overbearing background music, but things are starting to calm down a bit as we get into the nitty gritty of cases. We know that everyone will have to play along at some point, so I look forward to how characters like Gye Seong-woo (Oh Min-suk) and Jo  In-ho (Kim Won-hae) will be incorporated into the team. As much as it feels like life has naturally moved on, everyone is clearly familiar with one another, so I want to see more of how those connections came to be.

Most of all, I enjoy all the flavor that we can see in characters. From In-ho's clingy artist antics to Hee-yeon's passion for sugary decadence, it feels like we are meeting some fun personalities to fill the world of "Mystery Queen Season 2". Seong-woo is a killjoy at the moment, but I suppose some competition will only make our heroes' victories more satisfying. We also need obstacles along the way to solving Hyun-soo's (Hong Soo-hyun) mysterious existence.

Speaking of which, I do feel a bit confused about certain things regarding that so far. "Mystery Queen" barely explained anything regarding the case and the ones involved, so it feels a bit like going into a race track without a car. Everything is happening too fast for proper absorption, which is a problem in an already convoluted case. I'm really liking the drama so far, but I an eager to see it going through all of its introduced and re-introduced elements.

"Mystery Queen Season 2" is directed by Choi Yoon-seok-II and Yoo Yeong-eun-I, written by Lee Seong-min-II and features Choi Kang-hee, Kwon Sang-woo, Park Byung-eun and Kim Hyun-sook.

March 2, 2018

TV drama 'Queen of Mystery' returns with new season, same cast

SEOUL, March 2 (Yonhap) -- "Queen of Mystery" is back for its second season, becoming South Korea's first TV series on a major terrestrial network to produce a second season written by the same scriptwriter and featuring the same cast members.

At a media event in Seoul on Feb. 26, producer Choi Yoon-suk said the new season tells a funnier, more suspenseful and more engaging story than the first season.

credit : Yonhap News

Here Are The Secret Beauty Salons That Korean Idols Always Go To

Ever wonder where your favorite K-pop celebrities get pampered and dolled up? We have the inside scoop on the beauty salons they go to!

2. A. by Bom

South Korea’s A-listers, Han Ye Seul, Park Soo Jin, Daniel Henney, Kwon Sang Woo, and Lee Jin Wook are just a couple of pretty faces that frequently visit this salon whether it is for a magazine shoot or for filming on screen.

dLR8SAsn8kfOosNwVFGIBAcrAxJaK1-gC3p0nXlA

Boasting over 100 employees, the salon, located in Gangnam, is truly a one-stop shop to get your nails, hair, and makeup done.

m4IFjUVg8k-bXyhsGo3iHUJdtBRTBeNz1gGpVqPt

Hair and Makeup Packages begin at around 250,000 Won ($230.71 USD)

(skipped unrelated.....)

source : Koreaboo

“Mystery Queen 2” Cast Is Hardworking And All Smiles Behind The Scenes

Kwon-Sang-Woo-Choi-Kang-Hee-Kim-Won-Hae-

KBS drama “Mystery Queen 2” has released photos of their cast, seriously immersed into filming but also having fun behind the scenes.

Kwon Sang Woo, who plays the unstoppable justice-seeking detective Han Wan Seung, wears a thick coat as well as earmuffs and uses a space heater to brave the cold. Choi Kang Hee, who is taking on the role of warm-hearted investigative queen Yoo Seol Ok, monitors her filming with the director in front of the camera.

Kwon-Sang-Woo-1.jpg

Jun Soo Kyung and Song Young Jae, who play a married couple in the drama, smile widely while posing and waving for the camera.

Lee Da Hee has a wide smile while gazing off into the distance, a sharp contrast to her character Jung Hee Yeon in the drama, who mysteriously got a case filled with money in the last episode.

Park Byung Eun, who plays stone-cold skilled profiler Woo Kyung Gam, embodies his character through and through as his gaze pierces into the camera. Kim Won Hae, whose role is the police station’s romantic Team Leader Jo, gives off refreshing vibes as he laughs heartily.

“Mystery Queen 2” airs every Wednesday and Thursday at 10 p.m. KST.

If you haven’t already, watch the latest episode below!

Watch Now

Source (1)(2) / soompi news

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Mystery Queen Season 2" Episode 5

photo954906.jpg

Seol-ok is determined to study diligently, but cram school is a ruthless place. Things become more challenging when a temptation in the form of a crime happens nearby, sparking our heroine's usual hound-like fixation for crime solving. Episode five takes a step back from the main plot and a lot of the main characters, but we have new and guest stars popping up left and right. Can "Mystery Queen Season 2" fit all of this and its main story in?

Between the huge new supporting cast, Hee-yeon (Lee Da-hee) taking a break from the story, Inspector Woo (Park Byung-eun) having a few seconds of air time lately and Kyeong-mi (Kim Hyun-sook) essentially gone for now, I wonder if the series is taking up too much for itself. We have a lot of elements carrying over from "Mystery Queen", and as much as I love the subplots out so far, things are getting mighty busy in terms of what and who to follow.

That being said, the hagwon (cram school) case is an interesting one to tackle, even though it seems like it may not be connected to the murder case at all. In short, I do not trust the man with the cast on his arm, who may be the victim's family, and who is definitely not a hagwon student. Of course, I highly enjoy Dong Ha and Ha Hoi-jung as guests, not to mention the introduction of Kim Min-sang-I as the narcissistic forensic investigator, Hwang Jae-min. I just worry about the constant piling on of characters.

New cases aside, we get a little bit more information on Ji-seung (Kim Tae-woo) and the company's current situation. I still do not remember if he was even mentioned as a character in the first season. I am wondering why Ha Jae-ho (Jang Gwang) would want an unwilling Wan-seung (Kwon Sang-woo) to lead his company, when an older, more qualified Ji-seung is here and willing. Could the older brother's request for support mean that he is only doing this out of loyalty?

photo954903.jpg

photo954902.jpg

Spoiler

I do highly enjoy how the writing still provides information without instant context, allowing us to wonder before we get answers.

In the previous episode, Mr. Kim's lackey said that the entire family was present at Ji-seung's inauguration ceremony, for example, and it is only until this episode that we see Wan-seung was present in the building. I sincerely hope that Ji-seung's teased terrifying secret is not one that will hurt Wan-seung further.

The change in direction for "Mystery Queen Season 2" is still jarring, and with a large part of the previous season's style and approach being gone, I cannot call season two an improvement of the same formula. There are a lot of lovely elements, but an inevitable consequence of going bigger is that the old neighborhood scooby gang familiarity is gone. My hope is that we will get a lot of quality time with these characters moving forward.

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Mystery Queen Season 2" Episode 7

photo957683.jpg

The ever so elusive Kim has made a move, at least as far as I can tell. Ji-seung is arrested, and perhaps we will be finding out why the seemingly oblivious older brother or the company itself poses a threat to the mysterious figure. Meanwhile, Seol-ok and Wan-seung solve the Noryang-dong case, but our heroine is about to foolishly stumble onto another one, against what should have been her better judgment. Hello, remote crimes.

We are almost half way into the second and, as far as we know, final season of "Mystery Queen", and I am beginning to get a bit worried about where this is going, if anywhere. Thankfully, we do have some forward movemenet in the main story now that Inspector Woo (Park Byung-eun) is on the case and Hee-yeon (Lee Da-hee) reveals herself as someone who is either employed or hired by the dreaded Chief Kim. I hope this develops faster.

photo957681.jpg

The big question now is, why is Kim afraid of Ji-seung (Kim Tae-woo) or the company? If their father is dying, why would either of those be a threat? Is it a case of its very existence being a nuisance, or does Ji-seung know more than we think? Aside from the teasing of Kim possibly being a woman or someone young, we also have Wan-seung's (Kwon Sang-woo) talk of a "woman's touch" on his brother. Could Ji-seung be the one who brought Hyun-soo back to go after Kim? Is that his "terrifying secret"?

Episode seven is a transitional one between the previous standalone case and the new one, so main story aside, it looks like we will be looking into boarding schools next. One complaint here is that Seol-ok (Choi Kang-hee) readily believes a proven scammer about it, lets no one know where she is, and gives money openly without looking into it. Even if she wants to succeed, and the creators want this thirst to look significant, this feels like quite the oversight for our genius.

photo957679.jpg

I also wish we had more independent cases officially investigated, rather than having them land on the heroes' lap. That way our supporting characters could have more things to do. We have a lot of main and supporting characters who have no time to even appear, let alone develop, because guests take up a lot of time. It makes me wonder if another season is planned. We are half way in, and no one does much of anything.

I still enjoy the main duo, their investigations and some of the new supporting characters, but it feels like the series is taking on too much, and as if this season is essentially planned as only a wrap up for Hyun-soo's case, rather than one made for new adventures. I hope the story picks up, or that they confirm a third season soon enough for the slow progression to make sense. Until then, let us hope Wan-seung will have planned for back up.

• 2 weeks later...

“Switch” And “Mystery Queen 2” Have Close Race For Top Spot In Time Slot

Switch-Mystery-Queen-2.jpg

The Wednesday-Thursday drama ratings race is heating up!

On April 5, Nielsen Korea revealed that the April 4 episode of SBS’s Wednesday-Thursday drama “Switch” recorded 5.6 and 6.7 percent viewership. This is a slight decrease from the 7.6 percent viewership “Switch” achieved during its previous broadcast.

KBS2’s “Mystery Queen Season 2” was closely behind, achieving 6.6 percent viewership for its April 4 episode.

Additionally, MBC’s “Hold Me Tight” recorded 3.4 and 4.2 percent in viewership for the same time slot.

Which Wednesday-Thursday dramas are you watching?

(skipped unrelated.....)

Source (1) / soompi news

“Mystery Queen 2” Takes Top Spot In Tight Ratings Battle

Mystery-Queen-2.jpg

“Mystery Queen 2” has taken first place in its time slot.

According to ratings research company Nielsen Korea, the April 11 episode of KBS’s “Mystery Queen 2” has won the ratings battle for Wednesday-Thursday dramas with 7.2 percent. This was a 0.6 percent increase from the April 5 episode, which achieved 6.6 percent.

SBS’s “Switch” came in second place, with 5.8 percent and 6.9 percent for episodes 9 and 10, which aired on April 11. This was a 0.8 percent and 0.7 percent decrease, as the April 5 episodes achieved 6.6 percent and 7.6 percent.

MBC’s “Hold Me Tight” came in last place, with 2.9 percent and 3.7 percent for episodes 13 and 14, which aired on April 11. This was a 0.9 percent and 0.5 percent decrease, as the April 5 episodes achieved 3.8 percent and 4.2 percent.

If you haven’t already, watch the latest episode of “Mystery Queen 2” below!

Watch Now

Source (1) / soompi news