Digital Perm!

hanie

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MOOVERDOSE

Gosh, I really like your hair Rainie.

I want to get it done, but I don't know a place in Vancouver that does a good job. I've seen a couple of friends get it done, and lets just say it didn't turn out too well.

If anyone knows a good place in Vancouver BC, please share!! :)

Guest marshmellow

I want a wig version of your hair.

Can anyone describe to me how you get a digital perm?

Do you use curlers or whatever?

Guest Rainie

omg rainie!! ur hair is so gorgeous

i luv ur curls and especially the poofy top part of your hair.

My hair is currently layered like this:

<a href="http://www.dubaljayu.com/hairportal/bbs/table/dubaljayu_s_porm/upload/20070621025346.jpg" target="_blank">

http://www.dubaljayu.com/hairportal/bbs/ta...70621025346.jpg</a>

Do you think I should grow the upper layer longer ?

And about how long was your hair when you did the digital perm ??

You might want to grow the upper layer slightly longer. What the hairstylist did was layer my hair with a top layer like that picture but it was shoulder length. My bottom layer was also about the same length as the models'. They layered it so much, and it was so thin...and I thought it would be a disasterous perm. But after the whole 5-6 hour procedure...it turned out better than expected, and totally adored my new do. Even the really thin hair had tons of volume to it. My hair was near the middle of my back when I had it permed, and after the perm, my hair was 2-3 inches below my shoulders, so I guess upper back. Just make sure you have long hair when you get the perm, because short hair perms won't look very good when it grows out....since only that length of your perm will be curled, and the top will be straight.

xgoongx It does stay like that...it's been almost a year, I got it done last August. It's starting to wear off, since it's not as poofy as it was before. It also depends on how fast your hair grows, and how much hair you lose each day.

MOOVERDOSE I would think Vancouver would have tons of good hair salons because there's so many Asian salons, there's bound to be one that's really good.

marshmellow lol... I don't use curlers, it's a perm, so it should always be curled...it's permanent. Well, it's just instead of a regular curler, chemicals, and heat. It's just several wires attached to these special type of curlers. They first washed my hair, then cut/layered it, washed it again, and then blow dried it. You pick a certain type of chemical, usually the better ones are more expensive, and then they start applying it to your hair. Later, they used these special curlers, and they had about 6-8 of those in my hair. Then, they attached these wires from a machine onto each curler, and I just waited for about 3 hours. After I was done, they only rinsed my hair and told me not to wash or condition my hair for 24 hrs. The whole procedure took about 5-6 hours though.

Guest joonieballoonie

I think I want to get this before school starts, but I'm a bit worried if it'll work on my hair. I have 곱슬머리, which is basically like thick, somewhat frizzy Asian hair. I use straightening/anti-frizz products, though, so my hair looks pretty much like normal Asian hair most of the time, but I'm not sure if the digital perm would work. Does anybody know if it would work, or did someone with 곱슬머리 get the digital perm? I hate my hair...it won't do anything :tongue2:

my cousin had it [she chopped the wavy parts off recently].

it lasted for more than a year, since she still had it perfectly intact before she cut her hair.

and she didn't have to do anything with her hair to make it curly, she just rolled out of bed/out of the shower and it was already curly.

Guest ginger

I caved and just got a regular perm instead of a digital, but it was from a Japanese hair salon...and it's AMAZING. I absolutely love it--soft, beachy waves without curls. All I do is scrunch a little after the shower and my hair looks great. Or I can blow dry it and have it basically straight but with a WHOLE LOTTA VOLUME. I love love love it.

-ginger

Guest Rainie

^Really, that's a perm? Wow, so gorgeous, the best thing about perms is that it can give flat hair some life. :D lol

Guest Batgirl

=( i dont think i can do it. I neeeed to blowdry hair =( like i can live without brushing it but blowdrying is must

Guest KaiLien

^^ ditto. I love blowdrying. I can't not do it. hehe. I also get headaches when its not fully dried, but I still wanna try this digiperm! It seems like I can't go wrong doing it. I need something new and volume. A lot of my hair has been falling out recently but hopefully it will still turn out well. How do you scrunch your hair? Just bounce the ends of your hair to your head? I have no idea how to go about it...especially how you said you don't use any products in your hair.

I love your hair, Rainie. How did you describe what type of curls you wanted to the hairdresser? I basically want the same hairstyle as yours and I will probably get it done in HK or Taiwan later this year so I wanna make sure they do it right. I want long bangs like yours, they didn't curl those, right? Maybe I should show them a picture...anyone have a good picture I can show them? Thanks in advance.

One more thing, would $200 be a lot for a cut and a perm? Usually when I go to Taiwan, that's the amount I have to spend. I don't mind the price that much but it has to turn out right. Last time I got it straightened and it just didn't turn out right. :ph34r: Just wondering, how do you all go about finding placed to get a perm? I just can't seem to find a good place.

Guest Xoalilsinger

RAINE ur hair looks so fabulous its get beteer each time period i see!!! u actually encouraged me to get myy hair liek dat. but is it neccesary to get layers to get a more defined look?

oh yea forgot to ask how long did it took to get it done? can i be ableto get highlights with it at the same time?

Guest nanshi

haha raine ^_^ everyone loves your hair!

i'm not sure it'll match my face though...i'll soon post a picture of how long my hair is & my face haha. <3

The cool thing about the digital perm is that -- well, according to my observations -- it suits virtually ANYONE. If you go to a GOOD hair salon/stylist, they should tell you whether or not it looks good on you or what "degree" of curliness/waviness will look good on you. Some people look good with looser (but full) waves. Others, like Rainie, look better with beautiful ringlets. So it depends. The key thing is to have LONG hair. Anyone with hair that doesn't fall to at least 4-5 inches past their shoulder probably won't be able to achieve that "full" look that the digital perm (or wave perm, cause they're both kinda the same thing) can give you. Your hair will be too dense and concentrated to fall naturally and well with the curls. It'll look too bunchy and too poufy when it's all concentrated like that (I would know: I have layered shoulder-length hair and my hair doesn't curl, it just sort of flips all over the place because it's too short to HOLD a curl).

RAINE ur hair looks so fabulous its get beteer each time period i see!!! u actually encouraged me to get myy hair liek dat. but is it neccesary to get layers to get a more defined look?

oh yea forgot to ask how long did it took to get it done? can i be ableto get highlights with it at the same time?

Yeah, you sort of need the layers. It's essential, otherwise it'll end up looking really weird. You'll notice that most digital perms have a kind of "diamond" shape where it's full at the top (the top layer is curly), and it flares out, but then as the hair gets thinner at the bottom, the curls thin out so it's not overbearing (and gives you head a "triangle" appearance). Does that make sense? That gives you a nice full and curly look without the poufiness that comes with NOT layering. The "digital perm" package should come with a haircut anyways....

*Oh, and btw: Rainie said it took 5-6 hrs. And it's not recommended to do two chemical procedures on your hair at once. Get highlights first, is what I'd recommend and then wait a week later and get the perm. OR, if you're familiar with the salon, tell them that you want a digital perm but that you want the cut and highlight first and that a week later you'll come to get the ACTUAL perm. So they can cut your hair and dye your hair to give you the best "dimension" with your new perm. Does that make sense? That shouldn't be a problem, methinks. I mean, if they're a decent salon and want your patronage, they should be accomodating.

Only Asian salons do this, right? As of now...?

Guest Rainie

^And yes, only Asian salons do it as of now. Like nanshi mentioned, I coloured my hair a month prior to my perm, and so doing it together would just damage your hair way too much. There would be too much chemicals. And yes, I went to a really busy salon, and so I got out after 5 hours. And if you go to a good salon, the hairstylists should give you some options depending on the length of your hair, type of perm, size of the rollers, style etc.

Guest dysfunkti0nal

I caved and just got a regular perm instead of a digital, but it was from a Japanese hair salon...and it's AMAZING. I absolutely love it--soft, beachy waves without curls. All I do is scrunch a little after the shower and my hair looks great. Or I can blow dry it and have it basically straight but with a WHOLE LOTTA VOLUME. I love love love it.

-ginger

Picture of your hair? ;]

haha, i love my hair stylist >.<

she's broOtal, she tells me the truth no matter what.

she just came from korea & she's amazing! haha.

my hair is pretty long...it's past the middle of my back by an inch or 2? is that long enough?

it fits any face? haha, thank god...

Guest I_broke_a_nail!

a whole year without brushing your hair? not even with your fingers?

Then i need this digital perm asap because I'm always late to class trying to find my brush.

Sometimes I have to use my fingers as a comb T__T.

I love your hair rainie, but I would like my waves to be looser so like when it grows out, it would be easier to pull off.

You look so amazing. You shouldn't block out your face =O

Guest kiss_me

ooh wow Rainie i liike ur hair~ :w00t:

i would love to do this..but i'm afraid i might get bored with my hair being all curly for a whole year :rolleyes: ...

Archived