Digital Perm!

hanie

Guest Xoalilsinger

Thank you for explaining me that! haha yea im planning on going to VA for a vacation and getting my hair done by this vietnam lady.

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest miimii

I think I want to get this before school starts, but I'm a bit worried if it'll work on my hair. I have 곱슬머리, which is basically like thick, somewhat frizzy Asian hair. I use straightening/anti-frizz products, though, so my hair looks pretty much like normal Asian hair most of the time, but I'm not sure if the digital perm would work. Does anybody know if it would work, or did someone with 곱슬머리 get the digital perm? I hate my hair...it won't do anything :tongue2:

i have the same type of hair! and it's so thick. would the digital perm be good?

Guest Rainie

^Yes it would be okay, if you got it a couple of weeks after the highlights, because it'll really damage your hair. As for continuously getting perms, I don't see the reason why you would. Your hair keeps on growing, and so once your perm wears out, just chop it off in layers, and you'll have straight hair again.

miimii, as for the thick type of hair, I'm sure the hairstylist will be able to give you guys some suggestions. I think the thick type of hair really suits ginger's hair style, go to her 411 thread. It looks really pretty. She posted a few pages back in this thread.

Guest ovaltinejenkins

i hate my digital perm. i didnt know what it was at first, so i just did it b/c i already tried a regular perm at first.

mine turned out so bad, that i always tie my hair up now...

though it looks okay when my hair's wet. =_______=;;

shoot! i've been meaning to ask this: does chlorine have any effect on this perm?

i plan on beaing on the swim team this up coming school year, and that requires me to obviously, be in the pool A LOT.

will it damage the perm or anything???

eep!

Guest keirasketch

Does anyone recommend a good salon in K-town/LA?

I know that the salon I go to do it, but I dunno if it's any good ( I go to MI & B on 6th, infront of pinkberry)

My friend got it done in some other salon in K-Town last year, and it wasn't that nice;; and hella expensiveeee

Guest GoongLOVExx

Hmmm I am on Korea now

My friend just recently got a perm and I wanted her to take me to get one too. ^^

I want it a little less curly though.

I wanted it like wavey/curly.

Not too flat thougg, if that makes sense LOL

is getting it like a little less curly then Rainie's still considered a digital perm?

And if I go to the Korea salon what is is called?

If I want a digital perm that isn't so curly but still curly...LOL

sorry for the compilcated questions xD

GoongLOVExx: i think you can just get the bigger curls if you don't want it like an ahjumma's perm haha ^_^

can someone answer my question about chlorine effecting this perm?

i'll be in the pool alot b/c...swim team - it's unavoidable haha.

so will it effect my perm ? X|

Guest nanshi

GoongLOVExx: i think you can just get the bigger curls if you don't want it like an ahjumma's perm haha ^_^

I want to say "no," but I've never actually looked into it nor knew anyone with a perm (digital or regular) that went swimming regularly. Theoretically, it shouldn't stress your hair majorly as long as you protect it properly, but the chlorine will make your hair more dry (perm or not)...

You could probably try googling it.

Guest beautifulfriend

i have short-ish hair, and i got the digital perm.

i'm actually in korea right now, so i got it done at one of the nicer salons here.

i absolutely love it. it makes me head look more rounder, and helps me look a bit more mature (i've been told i look like a middle school student..and i'm going to be a 2nd year in college this fall!!! >_< )

here are some pics...

dsc026527095od1.jpg

i absolutely love the back.

this was the day i got the perm.

and this was a couple nights ago....maybe a week or so after?

n73701287_30226797_8361.jpg

to maintain it, i use this hair essence/cream stuff. i just take a little bit and run it through my hair after i take a shower. also, i twist some of the curls to keep them curly. and i dont blow-dry, either.

a couple pieces here and there are loosening up, already. =\ i'm actually going back to the salon today to see if it's normal for the curls to loosen up this quickly. i'll let you know what they say.

Guest nanshi

wuts the difference between a digital perm and a normal one?

A normal perm breaks hair bonds at your ROOT and changes the entire structure of your hair at its very chemical roots. That's why sometimes after people get (regular) perms done, their hair never looks the same again. I have a friend who had very straight hair and she did a DIY perm at home and now her hair is kinda wavy at the ends even though the perm grew out. A digital perm (at least it seems this way to me) is more like "permanent curls" instead of breaking your hair's chemical bonds at the roots it's at the ends so you get permanent curls (like with a curling iron) rather than at the roots... Hopefully that makes sense.

Guest Rainie

beautifulfriend, the perm does suit you, it makes you look more mature, it's really cute.

As for swimming, I did go swimming even with the perm...and it doesn't really do much to my hair...at least I didn't really see much of a difference. I don't swim that often now, but I used to swim once per week...even after the digital perm. The good thing about digital perms is that your hair becomes completely straight when it's wet...so that way you know how long your hair actually is, before it shortens on you after your hair dries. lol

Guest -- CRYSTAL.

i hate practice. my coach is mad at me because i failed 3 classes :[

my hair is originally dry so i have no idea if perm+chlorine dries it out even more.. i do know that my permed hair turned a shade or two lighter than the hair that's growing out. it's kind of brown, but it's a nice brown ^_^;

other than that.. your perm should stay nice and wavy and whatnot.

Guest Dolly

A normal perm breaks hair bonds at your ROOT and changes the entire structure of your hair at its very chemical roots. That's why sometimes after people get (regular) perms done, their hair never looks the same again. I have a friend who had very straight hair and she did a DIY perm at home and now her hair is kinda wavy at the ends even though the perm grew out. A digital perm (at least it seems this way to me) is more like "permanent curls" instead of breaking your hair's chemical bonds at the roots it's at the ends so you get permanent curls (like with a curling iron) rather than at the roots... Hopefully that makes sense.

eh? i don't follow.....does that mean once you get a digital perm, you can't change it back to straight hair? @.@

and also, does anyone know the typical price range for a digital perm?

Guest Rainie

^I believe she meant normal perm. So if you get a normal perm your hair won't go back to being completely straight hair again. Not curled, nor completely straight. So a digital perm would be better. :)

For the price, it really depends where you get it done. Prices can vary depending on salon and chemicals that you choose, they normally give you several choices. I got mine done for about $70 CAD in China. This is considered to be pretty expensive, and I chose apparently the best chemical there is at the salon. The price also depends on how long your hair is.

Guest sweet_x3

i actually have a question about my digital perm. I usually just scrunch it after i take a shower, but it feels really dry when it dries. Is there any way i can make my curls look smoother?

Does anyone use some type of curling balm or mouse that works well?

thanks

Guest Dolly

@ Rainie: thanks for the info =]

also, i saw a pic of your digital perm, and it looks awesome =]

eh, i should start searching for a salon....@.@

Guest flyaway

wow rainie your hair is GORGEOUS!!!

exactly where did you get it in china??>< maybe if i get lucky...(i'm going to china in a week xD)

Archived