Official 20+ Jobs Thread

Aziraphale

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'll be making more as a contractor (16 hours/week) than i did as a full-time employee. but i'm missing out on equity which may or may not amount to anything so it's not a bad deal while i figure out the next 5 years of my life. 

Crossing my fingers, eyes, toes, ears that i'll be getting that next big job XD Second interview with global VP went well, now awaiting third reference to get back to interviewing company and I'll be moving up in to senior engineering/manager 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Hamster Boy

I currently work in warehousing for an online retailer. Our sales average about 800-1000 orders per week. I've been working here for a little over 2 years now and am considering starting my own e-commerce or online retailer. Anyone else interested in this type of business?

No more iceland! Just got and offer and waiting for paperwork on a new job! I'll be CDC opening a new restaurant in Hong Kong! Woooo hoooo!!!!

I'm in the process of revising my resume in preparation for applying for school, college, and university positions once they begin opening up next month. Hopefully some critiques from the folks over at Reddit will give me some insight. Right now I work at a bank, which is completely unrelated to what I want to do. I've been suggested to create a functional resume, but I read that using such a format is not as effective as the typical reverse chronological resume. Despite how the functional resume showcases what I've done regarding the position I'm applying for, the reverse chronological format gives the person looking over my resume a chance to see my progression.

I would go and meet up with a former HR manager I had the chance to consult with a few months back but I don't want to spend $60 for his services when he already told me my cover letter and resume were "good enough" back then.

My problem with using a reverse chronological resume is that my banking job shows up first after I highlighted my qualifications for the education position. I can only imaging someone in the hiring department looking at my resume and thinking something like "This guy has done nothing to make progress in this field!"

• 1 month later...
Guest severus

Bombed the second round of an interview for a job I'd really enjoy, that's not as hectic as being an analyst in IBD. 

Industry research, strategic roadmap analysis, financial analysis, building transformational strategies, designing new revenue streams, deal structuring... I FCKING LOVE REVENUE STREAMS. I LOVE DEALS. I LOVE MAXIMIZING VALUE. Please job gods lemme have dis one. 

Now waiting for the other interviewees to suck more than I did, or I have no chance for that third round. Trying to be an adult sucks. 

Got dealt quite a conundrum. Been at my new job in Global Operations for a month. Pretty big company in my home country with some potential. Got an email today from the GM of a division of my former company asking if I would interested in relocating to Manila to take on a major operations transfer from China to the Philippines. Ended up temporarily turning it down, but it sounded like he's keeping the job open if not for me, then at least someone with a similar skill level and experience. Who knows? maybe I'll learn enough in the coming months and a few things will happen that I might end up accepting that offer >.< 

DECISIONS DECISIONS

Bombed the second round of an interview for a job I'd really enjoy, that's not as hectic as being an analyst in IBD. 

Industry research, strategic roadmap analysis, financial analysis, building transformational strategies, designing new revenue streams, deal structuring... I FCKING LOVE REVENUE STREAMS. I LOVE DEALS. I LOVE MAXIMIZING VALUE. Please job gods lemme have dis one. 

Now waiting for the other interviewees to suck more than I did, or I have no chance for that third round. Trying to be an adult sucks. 

​Good luck :) ! Yep, it's hard to be an adult ... 

Industry research, strategic roadmap analysis, financial analysis, building transformational strategies, designing new revenue streams, deal structuring... I FCKING LOVE REVENUE STREAMS. I LOVE DEALS. I LOVE MAXIMIZING VALUE.

​LOL.  nerd.  

Guest severus

I wish this semester could be over with so I can jump on the Fall Recruitment cycle for the Big 4 Accounting Firms.. *sigh*

Fall recruitment deadlines for Deloitte Consulting was today. The thought of competing with just about every business school student makes me want to sob into a pillow.

I'm guessing you're an accountant though so at least no competition there. 

Where the hell do I find a job that doesn't require me to have the same job for two years before that? This is stupid. They're basically handing out jobs to people who have jobs. I just found a listing where I fit in perfectly except they want me to have already worked there.

Where the hell do I find a job that doesn't require me to have the same job for two years before that? This is stupid. They're basically handing out jobs to people who have jobs. I just found a listing where I fit in perfectly except they want me to have already worked there.

​I feel the same way, I got alll these skills.

I'm going from Customer Service/ Retail to reception, just to get my foot in the door... apparently I need 3 years of reception experience.

Picking up the phone and using a multi line phone, redirecting calls to proper departments, greeting customers and maintaining cleanliness in my work place are skills that are not transferable.
I went to all these job search, net working workshops. :(

Back to Starbucks I go...

Random question - Do employers discriminate against students? I feel like the moment I mention I'm completing my degree... the interviewer's vibe went to interested to auto no.

Guest severus

​I feel the same way, I got alll these skills.

I'm going from Customer Service/ Retail to reception, just to get my foot in the door... apparently I need 3 years of reception experience.

Picking up the phone and using a multi line phone, redirecting calls to proper departments, greeting customers and maintaining cleanliness in my work place are skills that are not transferable.
I went to all these job search, net working workshops. :(

Back to Starbucks I go...

Random question - Do employers discriminate against students? I feel like the moment I mention I'm completing my degree... the interviewer's vibe went to interested to auto no.

Are there no "new grad" roles available in the U.S.? They don't require experience, but they know you're not there to scan and photocopy documents. I'm looking at some right now and they sign for 2 years, do rotational training so you can decide which team or projects you want to work on long term. And they expect you to be still on your degree, or just finished.

The number of new grad programs have significantly decreased this year in my city though. Companies like Encana, Cenovus, ExxonMobil were hiring like crazy 2-3 years ago.... But they have 0 opps for new grads this year. 

Are there no "new grad" roles available in the U.S.? They don't require experience, but they know you're not there to scan and photocopy documents. I'm looking at some right now and they sign for 2 years, do rotational training so you can decide which team or projects you want to work on long term. And they expect you to be still on your degree, or just finished.

The number of new grad programs have significantly decreased this year in my city though. Companies like Encana, Cenovus, ExxonMobil were hiring like crazy 2-3 years ago.... But they have 0 opps for new grads this year. 

​I went searching for jobs like crazy and the only one I found that would take new grads with no prior experience is Aflac. I sent them the message thing to get started on the application process right away.

So, on Friday I did something I never really thought I'd ever be in a position to do...I turned out a potential job. And yes I do have a job at the moment. But it's like whoa :o

​You know things are good when you can do that.

​I'm in Canada, and I'm living in a city where there's a lot of new tech start up companies and lots of trades opportunity. Those companies are also looking for experienced receptionists, office assistants. The baby boomers aren't retiring, they're choosing to work till the day they die.

I haven't seen any "new grad" roles, I did see one on craigslist, but they were looking for Marketing Students. Judging by the description posted, they're looking for some one to make cold calls. I've looked on Linked In, lots of managerial positions. I'm taking advantage of my former college and current school's job board, nothing really I can apply for. I tried Glass door for students, still nothing I'm qualified for.

​there are plenty of "new grad" programs for people who graduated with honors from a top school

also: http://mashable.com/2015/05/24/learning-code-jobs/

​I'm in Canada, and I'm living in a city where there's a lot of new tech start up companies and lots of trades opportunity. Those companies are also looking for experienced receptionists, office assistants. The baby boomers aren't retiring, they're choosing to work till the day they die.

Even if the baby boomers retire, it depends on what POSITION and job they have... For some jobs, maybe they are at the TOP of the hierarchy , it is less likely that they will hire a new grad with little job experience. The HR will hire someone within the company to go up or someone with experience in the extern. Therefore, we, little new grads, only have opening jobs opportunity in the entry level, and like most people just work until you have the opportunity to go up, unless you are a dentist,nurse,pharmacist,doctor,lawyer ... 

Archived