Official 20+ Jobs Thread

Aziraphale

I FINALLY got a call this morning for the job. I start on January 5. No more waking up and wondering what I'm doing with my life. The pay is OK. It will help me get me back on my feet until something pans out. I just found out that one of my friends is going to try and work at the university I originally applied at back in August. Maybe if he can get in, he can network his way through into getting me an interview down the line.

As crazy as it sounds, my two stints of unemployment in the past five years have been a preview of what retirement may be. Hopefully I will still have friends when I hit that age so that we can actually do something together. (At the rate my friends spend their money, though, I seriously may be the only one retired forty years from now... Scary thought.)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started a different job in december. The training is full-time. The probation is 3 months. 2 newbies got fired already because they were not good enough. I'm trying my best to be cautious, I ask a lot of questions because I'm afraid to do a mistake. After the training, the job is on call night shifts ; therefore, I kept my part-time job in case I don't work enough at my new job.
We had a christmas lunch and I was really quiet. I just listened to what people said. @_@ It's hard to be new. I know everyone goes through this when they change jobs. When my boss talks to me, I'm nervous. I can't even smile. XD
I took me 2 years to find this job related to my studies.People told me to look at another country, but I was afraid and not ready to live a big change. 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have as much time nowadays since I come home to eat, workout, and play games for only an hour (unfortunately) but I just wanted to give you all who read this thread and had followed my saga of unemployment an update. I officially started my job on Tuesday after a new hire orientation on Monday. Right now they have me doing filing and whatnot, basically newbie stuff, but it's cool. The people I work with are nice. I like that the company mandates a buddy system for new hires. My co-worker the next desk over has been helping me out and drags me along for break and lunch with him. I'm not awkwardly alone the majority of the time as a result of this. My managers are also really nice as indicated by their constant laughter throughout the course of the day. There is absolutely no stress with the job. I'm sure once I start learning all the different areas things will pick up, but for the most part, I am absolutely happy that I am able to just drive home and not think about work during the evening. I go in and do my job -- that's it. The pay is almost half of what I was making as a teacher, but I hated waking up and going to work every single day for a long time. I would literally sit in the parking lot and scream with my windows rolled up before stepping out to face the day. It will be difficult seeing a paycheck that is only 60% of what I had grown accustomed to for the past five years, but I figure that even happiness has a price. After all, in a fantasy world, I could have been making millions as a a teacher and even that wouldn't convince me to stay. It's all a matter of waking up in the morning and liking (or in my case, not really minding) what you do for a living.

Guest HERMIT

^
Glad that you've landed something to keep you afloat, occupied, and somewhat satisfied. We can't all be "living the dream" - because if we did, then it's not really a "dream" then, is it?  But what you've come to grips with is something that I too have come to terms with as well. It's one thing to be wanting to make that dough but if it comes at such a cost that it practically negates being able to really enjoy the benefits of it, then what's the point? Sure, you don't want to find yourself "settling", so hopefully - if not at this place eventually then maybe another - you'll be able to find that line of work that at least satisfies your basic financial needs and goals while also still giving you some level of job satisfaction and challenge.

If you find yourself "settling" into a job, then you really need to think about getting a new job. All the money in the world is worthless if you don't enjoy your job. Be comfortable with your job responsibilities but don't become too comfortable with your job. You'll just end up stagnating there

ayahuasca said: If you find yourself "settling" into a job, then you really need to think about getting a new job. All the money in the world is worthless if you don't enjoy your job. Be comfortable with your job responsibilities but don't become too comfortable with your job. You'll just end up stagnating there

Guest severus

When you live in a city that survives on oil and gas..... and Brent prices fall 50%..... most of the companies I want to work for are laying off hundreds to thousands of employees...
Investment banking divisions..trading divisions...private equity firms here are also focused on oil and gas.

• 1 month later...
Guest xoshinee

I personally work in the medical field~ The schooling was hard but I'm glad I did it. I really like my job.

@Kurisu My job prospect is crappy. I posted here before saying a bit what job I'm doing and ranted about it in the ranting thread. Working in a lab is not for me. It's too tiring. I picked that career because I like science and I hate customer service. 
Of course, there are plenty of other jobs with a bachelor degree in science that are not working in the lab, the issue is GETTING the job. With little work experience like me, it was hard finding the first job related to my degree, and I just can get night shift. 

So, I don't know what to do in the future, I probably will have to go back to university to get another degree, to change career path... 

Archived