Soompi Mac User Group

j79

Guest Kimdirect

Muhahaha!!!! I just got my Mac today!!! I'm so happy! (And am currently on it stealing some of my neighbor's wireless. :P)

I just got:

White MacBook

2.16 GHz

2 GB RAM

120 GB memory

I seriously love the student deals the mac store is having right now! I got a free printer, a free ipod nano, a discount on microsoft office, and a discount on the laptop and apple care program! Woohoo, gotta love having the college ID! I saved so much money!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tailo

For people wondering about Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac (I have the Student/Teacher edition), and seeing if you want to wait for the 2008 version, I can tell you now, the 2004 version works just fine, and has already experienced a price-cut. You can wait for the 2008, but it'll probably be overpriced (because Microsoft knows people will buy it anyway).

Well, for the veteran users, I have a simple question, which may have a complicated answer. When I'm burning a DVD to archive some files, just using the "Create New Burn Folder" and burning from the Finder window, is there any way I can automatically skip the "Verifying" step, rather than clicking on the (x) after the session closes? I'm asking because when I burn files through the network, the verification takes forever (but I know it's a good idea to run it anyway). I'm on a 15" Powerbook, Mac OS X 10.4.10. Thanks in advance.

Guest Xarthan

yes 2004 works fine once it's opened. when starting the program for the first time it's slow, but once it's running it's pretty fast.

i'm in desperate need of help.

i recently started using a Powerbook, that my sister gave me, and its been a real pain adapting to MacOs after being a windows user for 10+ years.

however, the OS isn't my main problem. it seems like the right click on my Powerbook is no longer working and my sister informed me that her applecare plan just expired a few months ago.

is this a common problem with Powerbooks?

do you guys have any suggestions?

any help is greatly appreciated! thanks guys!

:lol:

No, this isn't a common problem. When you say the "right click" isn't working, do you mean when you hold "Control", the contextual menu doesn't pop up when you click your mouse??

What version of OS X are you running?

Guest ehytee7

does videora ipod converter can be used on mac, or does it have a version for mac? coz when i downloaded one, it kept messing up and it wouldn't convert my FLV file, unlike when i use videora on windows.

I've tried searching free ipod vid converters, but most of them are free trials only.

Where could i also find how much space i've used on my hard drive??

Guest Kimdirect

Where could i also find how much space i've used on my hard drive??

Ctrl-click your hard drive icon and select "get info". It should tell you your capacity and how much room you have left.

Guest dREAMYrEVERIE

My macbook arrived today! It's beautiful, but I'm still getting used to it. Lol, I hated that I bought the 120 GB hard drive and then opened it up to see that the real capacity is 111.47 GB -_- that's normal though right? False advertisements, lol. Yeah... and I only have 93.44 GB left with the preinstalled programs.

Anyways, I'm still going around my macbook looking for things to delete ><. Have you guys deleted anything that has come with your macbook because it was wasting space? What should I delete? I just wish I had a bit more space, lol, I'm regretting not buying the black macbook.

this is a silly question, but how do you completely uninstall programs? for example, if i have random apps i want to delete and fulllllly uninstall every program related to it from my computer, how exactly do i go about doing that?

will deleting the one icon in apps do the trick? i have a feeling there's more to it? ^^ thanks for the help!

Guest Xarthan
this is a silly question, but how do you completely uninstall programs? for example, if i have random apps i want to delete and fulllllly uninstall every program related to it from my computer, how exactly do i go about doing that?will deleting the one icon in apps do the trick? i have a feeling there's more to it? ^^ thanks for the help!
goto your applications folder, locate the app, move it to the trash. IT'S THAT SIMPLE! can you belive it? I couldn't belive it when i first heard.
My macbook arrived today! It's beautiful, but I'm still getting used to it. Lol, I hated that I bought the 120 GB hard drive and then opened it up to see that the real capacity is 111.47 GB -_- that's normal though right? False advertisements, lol. Yeah... and I only have 93.44 GB left with the preinstalled programs.Anyways, I'm still going around my macbook looking for things to delete ><. Have you guys deleted anything that has come with your macbook because it was wasting space? What should I delete? I just wish I had a bit more space, lol, I'm regretting not buying the black macbook.
yeah it's normal. it has something to do with base math. manfucatures calculate at base 10 so they get 120, but computers calculate as 1028 (or something) so when you do the math 120 is actually the 111......... yeah....... lol

Guest crystalclear147

err, well im a computer newbie, as in ... i don't know a lot of stuff

HAHA

i have a 13" Macbook. It's NNIcceee, easily scratched though.. so

yeahh

and it bugs me that i can only download off MU.

or maybe i can download off other places nad i'm too lazy to do it..

too ignorant, i was wondering, ahh forget it ^^

Guest suitcases

No, this isn't a common problem. When you say the "right click" isn't working, do you mean when you hold "Control", the contextual menu doesn't pop up when you click your mouse??

It's possible the original poster is using a 2-button mouse, in which case he/she will need to go into the System Prefs >> Mouse & Keyboard and select the option for two button mouse operation.

Oh and by the way, you should only have to click and hold the mouse button down for a few seconds to get the "right hand" menu to appear. :)

My macbook arrived today! It's beautiful, but I'm still getting used to it. Lol, I hated that I bought the 120 GB hard drive and then opened it up to see that the real capacity is 111.47 GB -_- that's normal though right? False advertisements, lol. Yeah... and I only have 93.44 GB left with the preinstalled programs.

The "real" capacity is 111.47 because the rest of that space is being taken up by the computer's formatting. OSX is quite complicated (even more so now that Macs are Intel-based) and it requires a LOT of space on the drive.

goto your applications folder, locate the app, move it to the trash. IT'S THAT SIMPLE! can you belive it? I couldn't belive it when i first heard.

It's not actually that simple because many many programs leave hidden files embedded in preferences and other places in your harddrive. My old TiBook has both OS9 and OS10 installed and I could see the hidden files when I was in OS9 by opening up the drive where OSX was. It was really surprising to see how many things there were! But yeah, just deleting the application from the apps folder is usually enough... if you're having a software conflict between two versions of the same app (like you deleted Photoshop CS but Photoshop CS3 is crashing and not working correctly) you may need to use a cleaner application to delete those hidden files.

OH LULZ GUYZ

NEW MAC 8DDDDD

I have uhhhhhh a white MacBook with uhh the 2.16GHz intel core duo lulz i don't know what i'm talking about

YAY FOR ME D8

oh

and can someone recommend a good program that allows me to adjust the isight camera settings?

iglasses isn't cutting it; it doesn't work with skype for me for some reason and i hate it :(

Guest drawkcab

It's nice to see a topic for Mac users, here on soompi. I got my first Mac (Mac Pro) last year, primarily for video editing. I've been a PC user until then, so it was somewhat hard for me to transition into the Mac since all my editing software and programs were on PC, I had to start from scratch. But then I ended up getting a PC anyways and neglected my Mac for quite some time, until I recently decided to sell my PC and invest in my Mac.

~The end :D

I was wondering... I'm planning to purchase Adobe After Effects 5.0 for my Mac Pro, but... since the Mac Pro is Intel-Based, and the AE 5.0 is a PowerPC, would it be compatible on my Mac? I was thinking that it wouldn't be, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Guest Xarthan

I was wondering... I'm planning to purchase Adobe After Effects 5.0 for my Mac Pro, but... since the Mac Pro is Intel-Based, and the AE 5.0 is a PowerPC, would it be compatible on my Mac? I was thinking that it wouldn't be, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

it will work, but DONT DO IT, since it's for powerpc it's going to be sooooooooooo slow since it'll run through rosetta, invest a few more dollars and get an intel version.

Guest drawkcab

it will work, but DONT DO IT, since it's for powerpc it's going to be sooooooooooo slow since it'll run through rosetta, invest a few more dollars and get an intel version.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

I was planning to purchase AE 5.0 and then upgrade it to a CS3 version, to save $.

So, would it still work?

Guest silhouette

13in white macbook

2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

1GB memory

80GB hard drive1

Combo drive

just got my macbook recently and wanted to ask do i have to install a firewall or does macbook automatically have it?

o yea does ichat video function only work with other mac users or can i talk to non mac users? cus for some reason when i sign on ichat and use the video function i cant connect to my friends

Guest chriskong37

do i have to install a firewall or does macbook automatically have it?

mac os x comes with a firewall built in. i can't remember if it is automatically enabled or not. but to enable:

1. click on the apple logo located top right hand corner of your screen.

2. select system preferences.

3. click sharing.

4. click on the firewall tab.

5. click "Turn Firewall On" or "Start", which ever has the same effect.

o yea does ichat video function only work with other mac users or can i talk to non mac users? cus for some reason when i sign on ichat and use the video function i cant connect to my friends

ichat is a program designed for macs by apple. there is not windows build. i think AIM might have some similarities to it but i cant be sure as i haven't used ichat before. as for the video function, i assume you mean web camming with the built in isight camera right? the isight camera should be able to do this in any video conference program whether the recipient has a mac or windows computer.

Guest ANGiEE

i own a 13" macbook

the only thing that really bugs me is i can't use korean sites (ie. cyworld, clubbox, freechal for gostop)

IE 5 or whatever didn't work either :(

i installed XP onto my macbook but never got a good serial number for it so it expired

bleeh

Archived