Doctor Who

Guest Medea

Guest 3ButterflyKisses

Wow! The sixth season has proven that the story of the doctor is so far from over. There's so much going on, and we're seeing the doctor in a different light (episode "A God Man Goes To War"). What are everyone's thoughts?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ About the new season ?! I'm not happy about it to tell you the truth. <_<

As a huuuge fan of the Doctor and Donna pair I had to go through an internal struggle to accept the new cast. I already like Matt Smith but still can't stand the companions. Add to that the fact that I don't like the actress that plays River. To me the gang is tolerable if the story of the episode is interesting but if it's bad - I usually don't finish the episode or repeatedly abuse the FF button. And half the episodes this season were either super boring or disgusting really. The first two were fine, then I barely finished "The Curse of the Black Spot". I gave up half way through "The Doctor's Wife" and "Rebel Flesh" and didn't even watch "Almost People" (yuck! :crazy: ). "A Good Man Goes To War" was ok, though. I guess you could say I'm a Steven Moffat fan because the only episodes I liked were all his. Btw, he also wrote my favorite episodes from the previous season. I hope that they'll fix the writing for the second half of the season. They want to make some very important revelations about the Doctor but if they keep presenting them in such a bad way I'll be very disappointed.

Guest 3ButterflyKisses

I liked the "Almost people" episode, it  raised a good question about what morals. It shows that once life has been created no one has the right to take it away. But also, it help the doctor figure out the deal with Amy. I will agree with you about the "curse of the black spot" I'm not sure what they were trying with this one, maybe to have a little fun? Idk.

Donna is my favorite companion out of all them since '63. Mainly because she didn't have a romantic relationship with the Doctor. It was strictly platonic, but strong. Doing adventures with him gave Donna a new meaning in life when she was desperately seeking it. Its a shame that she won't remember him. :sweatingbullets: I really miss her, but I'm happy that they ended things nicely and she didn't have to die or be sent to another dimension.

Amy and Rory remind me of Rose and Mickey. I like that the Doctor came back for Amy, but she's no Donna. I didn't care for Rory either until I saw "rebel flesh". In that and the next two episodes that followed he showed that he was more than just a passenger of the Tardis. He's been more brave and active. I think he's trying to prove to Amy that he will be her "Doctor". I mean he stood guard at the Pandorica for ages, he loves the girl.

"A good man goes to war"  had some really good scenes and dialog, but it happened to fast and it seemed rushed. I've always love the character River Song since I first saw her, and I've been dieing to know her tale, but I wished it was done more elegantly. They should have give themselves more time in revealing it, maybe done away with the "Black spot".

All in all though, I'm eagerly awaiting the rest.

About "The Curse .." I think they were trying to use some of the marketing hype for the Pirates of the Caribbean movie to their advantage... ?May be?! I don't know if the type that likes those movies would be interested in a show like Doctor Who but I hope that turned out well and they gained more audience.

As for the companions, I've liked Rory since the Pandorica & Big Bang episodes. It's Amy that don't like. She's not a particularly interesting character and, yes, she does remind me of Rose who I disliked immensely from the second I saw her. Unlike Donna who I liked very much because she had her own distinct personality and with or without the Doctor she had her own thing going on. Not to mention that Catherine Tate is waaaay better actress than Karen Gillan. And I think it's actually good for her that her memory was erased because her current life would have driven her crazy otherwise. It's probably pretty boring compared to the adventures she had with the Doctor. :(

As for River - I like the character, it's the actress I don't like. I think she overacts most of the time and is sometimes out of sync with the other actors. Which is a shame really because she is super important to the story.

Overall, the cast is a mix of good and bad which, as I said, is ok for me for as long as the stories are good. My hopes are high for the second half of the season. ^_^

• 5 months later...

No has posted in here for a while. I'm surprised since the Series 6 finale was not that long ago! 

I think I liked Series 6 better than the previous one was because this one had a story arc, and that it got me at the edge of my seat every episode. 

Oh yeah, what do you all think about David Yates taking on a Doctor Who movie? I know Whovians on Tumblr hate that idea, but what about you guys?

No has posted in here for a while. I'm surprised since the Series 6 finale was not that long ago! 

I think I liked Series 6 better than the previous one was because this one had a story arc, and that it got me at the edge of my seat every episode. 

Sorry! :sweatingbullets: Real life got in the way.

I barely had the time to watch the episodes but I have to say you are quite lucky. I wish I could say that the second half of the season kept me on the edge of my seat but I can't. <_< I found the stories inconsistent, boring and anticlimactic. There was some good stuff but mostly-bad, bad, bad. I would gladly pretend this season never happened.

I hope that the next adventures will be better. :)

Oh yeah, what do you all think about David Yates taking on a Doctor Who movie? I know Whovians on Tumblr hate that idea, but what about you guys?

Well, I've seen his first two Harry Potter movies which I liked. If he can do the same with Doctor Who, I am optimistic. What I'm really worried about is who will they cast as the movie Doctor. He'd better be good.

• 1 month later...
Guest bluebreads

I love Doctor Who! Favorite Doctor is probably 11 if only because Steven Moffat is heading his series. I always found Doctor Who hit-or-miss under Davies even though I really liked 10.

Top 5 episodes from Doctor Who: 1. Blink 2. The 11th Hour 3. The Doctor's Wife 4. Vincent and the Doctor 5. The Lodger

Favorite companion is Amy Pond. I don't know why everyone hates her so much! I think she's gorgeous and spunky! I didn't like that they decided to marry her off to Rory so quickly or that she had a baby without really realizing it, and of course the plot twist with her being River Song's mom made me roll my eyes...but still! I really wanted the series to be about her and the Doctor being good buddies having adventures together across the universe without that encumbrance named Rory...lol. Oh Rory, he actually managed to win me over with the Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang. :P

Favorite monsters: The Weeping Angels of course! They're the only ones who are genuinely terrifying...although I think they were a bit overdone in Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone. All the other monsters are frankly pretty stupid IMO...the Daleks I like if only because I think they look like giant coffee machines.

Thoughts on Series 6....

First half was decent with the weakest link being the Pirates episode (no surprise there though considering who the writer is- same dude who wrote the flop episode "The Blind Banker" in Sherlock)...second half was fun during the ride but mostly forgettable. I felt like the first and last episode had way too much stuff crammed into them. Night Terrors was the worst of the lot with that dud of a child actor. The Girl Who Waited, The God Complex, and Closing Time were good but not particularly memorable to me for some reason. Biggest disappointment of this season over all was the unraveling of the mystery behind River Song. BORING. I was hoping she'd be a time lord but then she decides to give it all up for a man who's lived for far longer than his fair share of time.

I really think the Doctor should have officially parted ways with Amy & Rory in this season instead of waiting around for the next one as I'm quite eager for the Doctor to move on to a new companion. I also really hope the next season will be more low key with more interplanetary travel and time travel beyond just World War 2 (which has seriously been done to death in this series).

Favorite companion is Amy Pond. I don't know why everyone hates her so much! I think she's gorgeous and spunky! I didn't like that they decided to marry her off to Rory so quickly or that she had a baby without really realizing it, and of course the plot twist with her being River Song's mom made me roll my eyes...but still! I really wanted the series to be about her and the Doctor being good buddies having adventures together across the universe without that encumbrance named Rory...lol. Oh Rory, he actually managed to win me over with the Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang. :P

My main problem with her is that she is sort of dumb. Yes, she is gorgeous and spunky but not much more that that. No distinctive personality, no drive, no ambition of her own. The previous girls were pretty and spunky and a lot of other things which they continued to be even after they parted with the Doctor. Her only interesting reincarnation came into existence by mistake and was gone again by the end of a singe episode. I know Karen Gillan can do more (The Girl Who Waited proved it), it's just that her talent and acting abilities are underutilized. Arthur Darvill (Rory) is very good too but both of them play unimpressive characters. Put them next to a super charming, quirky and intelligent Doctor and the result is ... disappointing.

I know they tried to make River a true match to the Doctor in abilities and personality but , at least to me, that failed as well. Matt Smith and Alex Kingston (both awesome actors) have zero chemistry (romantic or otherwise). The stories behind the super important revelations about them we were supposed to learn in season 6 were poorly written as well.

I absolutely agree that we should close the present arc and start again with new companions. And, yes, no more WWII stuff. Pleaaseee! <_<

Favorite monsters: The Weeping Angels of course! They're the only ones who are genuinely terrifying...although I think they were a bit overdone in Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone. All the other monsters are frankly pretty stupid IMO...the Daleks I like if only because I think they look like giant coffee machines.

Yup, the weeping angels are the best monsters. I saw blink in the middle of the night a couple years ago and was afraid to go to sleep afterwards. :sweatingbullets:Blink is my favorite episode from the current Dr. Who period because it was the perfect mix of monsters and suitable story that keeps you glued to the screen even if the charismatic Time Lord is not around. The nature of the angels makes them better for monsters which slowly creep under your skin and make you afraid of your own shadow, rather than an alien army traveling in space ships to conquer new worlds. They should have picked one of the million other alien races in the Dr Who universe for Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone.

... apropos, I loooove the Daleks. They are so cute. To me they look like blinking and moving S&P dispensers. ^_^ I have no idea how anyone could find them scary.

Guest bluebreads

@ nell123

I see what you mean. Amy did start off promising but she teetered out in the end...this could be attributed to the sexism Moffat is being accused of lately...although it doesn't quite add up when you think about the fact that this is the same man who wrote brilliant Sally Sparrow and "Coupling". I don't know...perhaps he has too much on his plate as both the Doctor Who and Sherlock series head. I haven't seen any of the old series of Doctor Who but I honestly can't say any of the new series companions are icons of female empowerment. Rose was okay in the first season but soooo annoying in the second. Martha had all the smarts and ambition but her unrequited crush on the Doctor made me feel more sorrow than admiration for her. Donna was very grating to me personally although she is probably the closest thing to being the Doctor's equal companion-wise...well aside from the Tardis itself. XD Doctor Who definitely isn't the show to watch for strong female characters. The focus is always going to be on the Doctor and how brilliant he is unless they bring back the other Time Lords (particularly Time Lady Romana who everyone says was amazing).

I totally agree with you about River. I kinda hope they just forget about her in the next season.

For a great show that does have great female leads, check out Downton Abbey!

Isn't it funny how Blink is considered one of the top episodes of Doctor Who when the Doctor himself is only in it for like five minutes and the focus is entirely on Sally Sparrow? Perhaps the writers should look at this episode as a precedent for the new season and give us a chance to

get to know and respect the new companion before the Doctor comes crashing into her life full throttle.

@ nell123

For a great show that does have great female leads, check out Downton Abbey!

Isn't it funny how Blink is considered one of the top episodes of Doctor Who when the Doctor himself is only in it for like five minutes and the focus is entirely on Sally Sparrow? Perhaps the writers should look at this episode as a precedent for the new season and give us a chance to

get to know and respect the new companion before the Doctor comes crashing into her life full throttle.

Perhaps, or , I know this may sound sacrilegious to some people :sweatingbullets:, I never lost hope that one day we might get a female incarnation of the Doctor. Blink is the actual prove that a woman is capable of handling the mystery and the action of the Dr Who universe. I know that right now it's impossible but someday ... ^_^

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check out Downtown Abbey. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bluebreads

Perhaps, or , I know this may sound sacrilegious to some people :sweatingbullets:, I never lost hope that one day we might get a female incarnation of the Doctor. Blink is the actual prove that a woman is capable of handling the mystery and the action of the Dr Who universe. I know that right now it's impossible but someday ... ^_^

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check out Downtown Abbey. :)

A female Doctor is a fabulous idea and one I hope happens sometime before I lose interest in Doctor Who. And of course it would be nice to have a cute young MALE companion for a change so us girls can have something to ogle at. I know it's arguable that David Tennant and Matt Smith are eye candy for us but I personally don't find them attractive in that way...they're more adorable imo. lol.

I don't know if you've ever seen this but it's parody of Doctor Who where we can get a couple minutes of actual female Doctor having fun times with her companion and the Master. LOL.

Also here's David Tennant as the companion to the Doctor

• 2 years later...

Anybody here at Soompi still watching Doctor Who?

I'm a huge Whovian. Back when I lived in England, I started on the old stuff before I ever watched the 2005+ series.

I'm really enjoying Peter Capaldi as the Doctor, and Jenna Coleman is amazing this year, with Clara so wonderfully fleshed out (so different from Season 7). I like her "control freak" streak. It's something different for the show, and it brings out some interesting stuff in Capaldi. :D

Favourite episodes so far this year:
"Listen," "Deep Breath," "Kill the Moon"

:)

Or am I just talking to myself? ^.^
Cue "Listen" paranoia...

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived