Shin Hyun Joon 신현준

Guest adikkeluangman

Guest midnight sun

What a heartwarming article. Thank you kindly, rubie.

*We hope he continues putting a smile on peoples' faces*

photo_people_371_3289_L.jpg

photo_people_371_3290_L.jpg

photo_people_371_3291_L.jpg

Via: daum.net

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^

Thanks midnight sun for the pics... SHJ really is someone who's funny and always making people smile.

rainy75, thanks for the preview of Shadowless Sword... appreciate it much, hope it'll be another box office hit for SHJ, LSJ and the rest of the cast! :)

Guest adikkeluangman

midnight sun; OMG! I love those pics. He face clean shaved. Yeay!!! Thankies.

rainy75; Thanks for the info. Well, maybe I will watch it later. Anybody had the vod. :)

Here is the mms link regarding post by rubie. This is full show I think. Not yet DL. If anybody can

cut only SHJ part. It would be great.

Sept 18, 2005 Showbiz Extra #180

MMS://211.43.217.85/Showbiz/Showbiz_300k_2005-09-18_180.asf

Guest xosandy

AM18_still_01.jpgAM18_still_05.jpg

AM18_still_04.jpgAM18_still_03.jpg

his portrayal in 'stairway to heaven' was pretty good. (even though he did scare me at times) lol. he looks much better with a clean shave.

Guest midnight sun

^ Thanks for sharing the pics rainy75 and xosandy :).

adikkeluangman, thanks for the link... reminds me of this poster...

2005091517385455867_1.jpg

Via: Naver News

^

Thanks midnight sun for the MTM poster... it always makes me laugh seeing their funny expressions. :P

Thanks rainy75 for the Yashimanman variety captures as well... the cast looked happy, can't wait for the movie's release & feedback.

Agree with xosandy that SHJ's portrayal in STH was good & intense... it was one of the reasons I stayed watching the series ... the suicide scene... was so heartbreaking. :(

adikkeluangman, you've found the Arirang link finally! Well done! :lol: Now we wait for SHJ's part... the whole clip's too big, ya...:unsure:

And to everyone, especially adikkeluangman

SELAMAT HARI RAYA AIDILFITRI

MAAF ZAHIR BATIN!

Guest adikkeluangman

Thanks guys for his info...

OMG!!! I'm such a bad fan. Just take a look at his profile and don't realize that I missed his birthday.

happybday.gif to Hyun Joon oppa. Hope that you have colourful career in coming years.

xosandy; Yeap, he looks better in clean shave. In STH, I like him first b4 KSW. He looks a bit skinny in the pics that your post.

rainy75; Thanks for the YSMM pics. I love this one . It reminds me in KISS MV. B)

2005102814031439.jpg

rubie; Thanks for your wishes. :)

midnight sun; Thanks again for the pics. He looks so majestically in the Sword pics.

^

Birthday :unsure:... BIRTHDAY!! :o

adikkeluangman... that makes 2 of us... not observant enough.... *hides*

Happy Belated Birthday to Shin Hyun Joon ssi... party-smiley-041.gif

May the coming year brings you much-deserved happiness & success all the way! :)

11-15-2005

'Shadowless Sword' Takes Stab at Global Audience

By Kim Tae-jong

Staff Reporter

Director Kim Young-jun said he learned a hard lesson from his debut film "Out Live (Bichonmu)" in 2000 but he believed it is sure to help his upcoming epic action melodrama appeal to local and international audiences.

"I promised myself not to make an epic action film ever again since I had to deal with so many problems and went through many trials and errors making my first film," Kim said Monday during a news conference after the preview screening of his new movie "Shadowless Sword (Muyonggom)."

"But I also thought that the experiences from my first film were too precious to just put to waste," he added.

ensor200511152000340Shadowless1.jpg

Kim Young-jun, left, director of "Shadowless Sword,"

poses during a news conference on Monday with the film’s main actors.

They are, from left, Shin Hyun-joon, Lee Ki-yong, Yoon Soy and Lee Seo-jin.

/ Newsis

The director admitted that most local epic action films, including his first film, have not been commercially successful even at the domestic box office. On the other hand, many Chinese films that combined martial arts with melodrama were internationally acclaimed.

But rather than following the formulas found in such successful films as "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and "Hero," Kim said he tried to come up with a different approach.

"I think 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' and 'Hero' focused on showing slow, beautiful and elegant action scenes, so I tried to show more dynamic, faster and tougher action scenes in my film,’’ Kim said.

Although it took him almost five years to make his second film, this time he showed more confidence as he had a bigger production budget, together with more time, support and, most importantly, experience.

With a production cost of about 8 billion won, the film was shot in China over six months. And the martial arts team from the famous "Once Upon a Time in China" series were brought in to help train main actors and demonstrate breathtaking acrobatics.

ensor200511152000341Shadowless2.jpg

Lee Seo-jin, left, and Yoon Soy in a wire-action scene from

the upcoming film "Shadowless Sword"

"The most difficult part of making the film was to stay in a foreign country for such a long time. The staff and actors had difficulty getting used to Chinese food, cold weather and suffered homesickness," Kim recalled.

But when he shot his first film in China, everything was challenging and they couldn’t even finish shooting some scenes due to poor preparation and a lack of experience, Kim said.

New Line Cinema, a major Hollywood distributor that was also in charge of the international distribution for "The Lord of the Rings" series, invested in "Shadowless Sword" and will also take part in distributing it worldwide. The film will be the first non-English movie for the company to distribute internationally.

The film stars Lee Seo-jin, Yoon Soy and Shin Hyun-joon. Set in Korea's ancient kingdom of Palhae (698-926), the film revolves around Jeonghyun (played by Lee), the last prince of the ancient kingdom who was abandoned when he was young.

Jeonghyun lives hiding his royal identity but is placed on the verge of being assassinated by a rebellious group who try to succeed to the throne. And swordswoman Soha (Yoon) tries to guard him to sit on the throne saving from threats by an assassination group led by Kun (Shin).

The film will be released on Friday at local theaters, and next year it will be screened in more than 60 countries including the United States and European countries.

e3dward@koreatimes.co.kr

11-15-2005 19:47

Source: The Korea Times

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/culture/20...19443911690.htm

NOVEMBER 17, 2005 07:58

"Let's Give Them All the Action We've Got"

2005111748998.jpg

While the action concepts “Bichunmoo” director Kim Young-joon utilizes in his first movie in five years, “Shadowless Sword,” are not anything new, they’re certainly surprising. Kim takes the elements of the free imagination of Hong Kong epics along with the crude spectacle of Hollywood war movies to present a hybrid where the sword is used like a gun, and the sword action used in the movie involves not just piercing, hacking or ripping, but more closely resembles the blowing up of one’s opponent.

There are many holes in the storyline of “Shadowless Sword.” The film fails to persuade us about prince Dae Jung-hyun who endlessly doubts his own ability, nor Gun Hwa-pyeong and his heart-wrenching situation involving the necessity of removing the prince. However, the overwhelming action embodying the style of Hong Kong martial arts director Ma Yuk-sing crushes any doubts one has regarding the story.

Rather than considering the audience, Kim takes the position of not giving the audience a moment to think, and the tightly arranged rhythm of the action almost forcefully becomes the main character of the movie. The scene where dozens of swordsmen shoot out like bullets from a machine gun after Dae Jung-hyun and Yun So-ha go to hide in the water, hurling spears at the pair, which leads to a complicated underwater chase scene, impresses a particularly strong aesthetic after-image on the viewer’s mind.

Theatrical makeup resembling that of amusement park dancers, overflowing tragic beauty, exaggerated characters, strange scenery reminiscent of a global village with no nationality – all of these elements combine in a movie set that is unrealistic, but also feels like a computer game, creating a complete “extra space.”

Choosing to suffocate reality rather than disguise itself in it, this movie accumulates an “aesthetic of strength.” In addition to making the audience accustomed not only to the running over the tiles under the moonlight and flying over the saddles in the bamboo forest, the reason for the destructive power of the “Shadowless Sword” is its attempt from the beginning to end to package the heavy physical mobilization as outrageous contemplative visual action.

This movie also has the intent of entering the world market as a Korean film. The major American distribution company New Line Cinema invested an estimated 30 percent of the total production cost (8 billion won) and is expected to distribute the film through its American network market as well as throughout the rest of the world.

Although the movie is rated as appropriate for those “aged 12 and up,” and thus, viewers as young as those in the upper elementary grades can watch it, the film features violent scenes where mouths are slashed and bodies are clubbed, so particular discretion of parents is advised. This film opens in theatres on November 17.

Source: The Dong-A Ilbo

http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?...d=2005111748998

Guest apple red

he is such a very good actor..

And his decision to played antagonist role in STH is great choice because it will be his open door to overseas, eventhough as you know drama is really different with movies.

His acting is excelent..too bad rarely talk about movies actor here..thank God at least we have Jung woosung and SHJ here.

And i think he's sexy too *wink wink*

Updated Nov.18,2005 18:48 KST

'Shadowless Sword' Delivers Formulaic Fun

200511180010_00.jpg

When director Kim Young-jun, whose "Shadowless Sword" hits movie theaters Friday, said he was going to make a breakthrough in Korean martial arts movies, his chances of failure were good. But as easily digestible commercial fare, the film delivers.

The year is 962 A.D. in the Balhae kingdom ravaged by the invasion of Khitan -- Tungusic or Mongol residents of the southern part of what is now Manchuria, Northeastern China.

In a country almost wiped off the face of the earth, the last survivor of the dynasty, Dae Jeong-hyeon (Lee Seo-jin), ekes out a meager existence in a frontier town while hiding his true identity. Then those who dream of restoring the Balhae kingdom order the greatest woman warrior Yeon So-ha (Yun Soy) to bring prince Jeong-hyeon back, but those on Khitan's side -- Gun Hwa-pyeong (Shin Hyun-joon) and his confidant Mae Yeoung-ok (Lee Ki-yong) -- are hot in pursuit, looking to take his life.

The action scenes in "Shadowless Sword" thoroughly ignore the laws of gravity, featuring 100 m dashes in the blink of an eye, walking on water and flights across roofs and through midair. The wire stunts are frankly a rehash of what the Chinese formula has been providing for decades, but that, after all, is the biggest pleasure the genre has to offer.

"Shadowless Sword" focuses on the showdown between Yun Soy and Lee Ki-yong rather than the confrontation between Lee Seo-jin and Shin Hyun-joon, staking the film’s success largely on action stunts of beautiful women. The visuals, to be fair, can be stunning.

The final confrontation is also quite stunning as the protagonists cross swords while a purple cloth billows across the screen, although the director appears to have borrowed the idea from Zhang Yimou's "Lovers."

However, one of the drawbacks of "Shadowless Sword" is its failure to breathe life into its characters. Shin Hyun-joon remains unswervingly heroic throughout and Yun Soy appears completely bereft of personal emotions, with each plainly representing the opposing values of "good" and "evil." Lee Seo-jin plays the only dynamic character but also fails to convince with his portrayal of the prince masquerading as a pauper who goes on to rebuild his country.

(englishnews@chosun.com )

Source: Digital Chosunilbo

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0511180010.html

• 2 weeks later...

Archived