Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

^ Go up scales on a piano, or something similar. That'd probably be the easiest.

I never really tried finding out my range but y just randomly doing scales, I estimate mine's like 1.3 octaves hahaha

Guest cindy-yang

soundclick

please help me improve tell me what i need to do^^

i suck(sorry for the language) i havent sung in about 4 years><

theyre both the same song its just that i think the top one you can hear me better

how do we know what octave we are on

Guest heartdrops

Has anyone ever done the 'momma made me mash my m&m's,' one before? I thought of that after reflecting back on my chorus days. That one was so cute. T_T haha sorry. random. x:

I don't take classes but my friend who is in choir told me they use that one. It does sound cute hahas.

Guest vivosergirl

If you wanted to do warm ups, you can do the typical do-re-me exercises. My teacher used to have us go: do, do re do, do re me re do, do re me fa me re do, etc. until we reached up to high do. Then we'd return going down; do, do ti do, do ti la ti do, do ti la so la ti do, etc. x:

Has anyone ever done the 'momma made me mash my m&m's,' one before? I thought of that after reflecting back on my chorus days. That one was so cute. T_T haha sorry. random. x:

Try breathing exercises to help improve your breathing so you can support your notes more? x:

Your effort shows that your will. I hope you can improve. (:<3

Damn, my teacher last year made me do that one... It surprised me how many people didn't know the solkool-aide...

I did the m&m exercise in middle school too... I guess a lot of chorus teachers use the same warm-up...

The best way to find out your singing range is (starting with middle C) going up and down the piano trying to see what your lowest and highest notes are... I'm about a little bit less than 3 octaves...

^ Eh...?

You develop it.

You can't really make it since it might ruin your vocal cords and sound unnatural.

I think I've a got a bit more vibrato than before but it might just be my ears x_x

Guest yongwonhi

...I think I strain my voice when I sing. But I can't really tell... when I try to sing it seems like I'm kind of.. holding it in my throat, but I can't really tell. :X All I know is that it sounds like something's stuck in my throat when I'm singing. I don't know how to fix it though! I've tried everything I can think of, and ...it still sounds weird. Anything I can do?

Plus, my voice doesn't seem to flow... Haha. It's like... soft, then loud...then softloudsomething. x__X I don't know what I'm doing. :X

Any help would be appreciated... >_>

...I think I strain my voice when I sing. But I can't really tell... when I try to sing it seems like I'm kind of.. holding it in my throat, but I can't really tell. :X All I know is that it sounds like something's stuck in my throat when I'm singing. I don't know how to fix it though! I've tried everything I can think of, and ...it still sounds weird. Anything I can do?

Plus, my voice doesn't seem to flow... Haha. It's like... soft, then loud...then softloudsomething. x__X I don't know what I'm doing. :X

Any help would be appreciated... >_>

You know when you are straining when you have this weight feeling on your voice.

It feels the same as talking while looking up at the ceiling.

How do you get rid of it? That's a complicated matter that cannot be achieved overnight. Hence why people vocal train etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oNeStaR*

ummMM...one quick question. I'm using the Adobe Audition program. And I wanna record my voice at the same time when the music is on. YOu know? LIke, I open a file onto the adobe program thing, and I wanna record myself at the same time. LIke, if I put in a song that's instrumental..all I could do is just listen to it, I can't click record to record myself to sing at the same time. How do I record myself while the song is on? hahahah

Guest dark intuitions

you sound like you are in edit mode. you should go into multitrack mode, drag your instrumental onto one track, and then arm another track for recording.

ie:

View > Multitrack View.

And then check out hmaster's tutorials. XD

Guest golliwog-mizuki

hi ppl~ new here just wanna ask how i can record for example my own voice with a song which i've already taken out the vocals part? i used adobe audition to take the vocals part out already.. but i can't seem to record my voice and the song together

do you guys know what is a good program that I can actually download to record? Because right now, i'm just using the mike on comp and playing the song on speakers while I sing ((effect not good)) so do you guys have any good programs or something that I can download?

do you guys know what is a good program that I can actually download to record? Because right now, i'm just using the mike on comp and playing the song on speakers while I sing ((effect not good)) so do you guys have any good programs or something that I can download?

*sigh*

good programs always mean good money. that's just how life is. and even if you managed to obtain those programs, you'd be hard presed to figure out how they work, I had trouble when I first got them.

If you look around there might still be some kind of link that exists for goldwave or something, you could use that.

Guest whitekissx

Why do ppl ask the same questions. Go through the freaking thread people.

cause there's a lot of pages to go through...

Guest whitekissx

ok. i almost made halfway through this thread and mai eyes are hurting like crap, so im going to stop reading and ask questions. sorry if i repeat some already answered questions. i know how that irritates people who work so hard to explain everything. ANYWAYS, i'm having problems with goldwave. i have adobe audition 2.0 as well... but don't know how to work it. with goldwave, i can record mai own singing and play around to add echo and FX, thing is... i want to add an instrumental to it, but i'm totally lost. And adobe audition... is just plain confusing to me. >< i also need to know if a 'mixer' is the same thing as adding the instrumental to the original singing, or if it's someone that does that for you. and if there is a person that does it, who? also... this was asked MANY time throughout the 16 pages i've read, but how do you extract the vocals from the music to make an instrumental? I just don't get how others explained it. or maybe it was the many jumble of words that swirled around in mai head... sorry if these were already ALL ANSWERED... i just can't take more pages... mai eyes are killing me.

Guest dark intuitions

ok. i almost made halfway through this thread and mai eyes are hurting like crap, so im going to stop reading and ask questions. sorry if i repeat some already answered questions. i know how that irritates people who work so hard to explain everything. ANYWAYS, i'm having problems with goldwave. i have adobe audition 2.0 as well... but don't know how to work it. with goldwave, i can record mai own singing and play around to add echo and FX, thing is... i want to add an instrumental to it, but i'm totally lost. And adobe audition... is just plain confusing to me. >< i also need to know if a 'mixer' is the same thing as adding the instrumental to the original singing, or if it's someone that does that for you. and if there is a person that does it, who? also... this was asked MANY time throughout the 16 pages i've read, but how do you extract the vocals from the music to make an instrumental? I just don't get how others explained it. or maybe it was the many jumble of words that swirled around in mai head... sorry if these were already ALL ANSWERED... i just can't take more pages... mai eyes are killing me.

Haha I went all the way through once, I was that bored...I think I've done the Instrumental thread too...ah I have no life.

And for the second time this page, check out hmasters tutorials on Audition on the first page. They will give you all the basics to mix. Here's a link to the post in which it is posted.

Extracting vocals is usually not recommended (esp if you talk to hmaster), but is possible to a degree in Audition. Click on the song, go to Edit view> Filters> Center Channel Extractor and experiment with vocal remove. But be warned, it doesn't always work well and I rarely use it.

As for Goldwave, I've never used it, but I just typed Goldwave tutorial into google and came up with a bunch of results.

Heres one of them:

How do I record vocals over background music or record and play at the same time?

To record and play at the same time, such as playing music and recording vocals, you need to use two files as follows:

Open the music file.

Create a new file for recording the vocals with a length at least a few second longer than the music file.

Select the correct recording source. If your sound card has a "Stereo Mix" or "What U Hear" or similar source that records whatever you hear on your computer speakers/headphones, select that source. That will allow you to record both the music and the vocals at the same time. If not, select the microphone source for the vocals. Tip: Use headphones to prevent echo and feedback caused by the microphone picking up output from speakers.

Start recording by clicking the red button (or press Ctrl+F9).

Click the mouse on the window containing the music and start playback (press F4). You are now playing and recording at the same time.

If your sound card had a "Stereo Mix" source, you are done. The window used for recording should contain a mix of both.

If you used the microphone recording source, you will need to copy the music and mix it with the recording after recording is finished, as explained in the next few steps.

http://www.goldwave.com/faq.php#recmix

Use Edit | Copy to copy the music.

Click on the window containing the recording, then use Edit | Mix.

Adjust the start time and use the preview button to align the audio.

Choose OK to mix the music.

hmm... I must be feeling nice today.

Guest golliwog-mizuki

i'm trying goldwave now.. but just wanna ask.. the diff between the recording sources.. like stereo mix and the mic thingy.. cos i'm using a mic that is attached to my headphones.. what source is that supposed to be and where do i change it?

Okay, stereo mix records what comes out of your speakers. Mic records what goes into your mic.

Make sure that yuor mic isn't muted if you're doing this.

So what happens is, what comes out of your speakers (instrumental) is recorded along with what goes into your mic.

You could always record seperately, like open the instrumental then mix in acapella vocals =/ I posted a way to do that a while ago.

Guest golliwog-mizuki

ok.. so if i wanna record my voice along with the song that i've already edited without the voice? i open the edited music file and another new file to record my voice? so if its this case meaning the only way i can do to make them sound together is to mix them manually? ah~ cos as what the manual said only stereo mix ones will be recorded together..

but there's still one thing i dun understand.. if i can listen from my headphones and my mic is attached to it..? does it mean its stereomix? or just mic? ahh i'm confused

Stereo mix and mic has nothing to do with what you can listen to. Just plug the headphone + mic in and you're set.

Set your recording device to stereo mix, start recording, play the song and sing along. See what happens.