Can I Please Have Your Opinion?

MakahaMusic

egad.....kinda shame....sorry guys, I said in previous post that "I need your lovin'" was master quality sound-wise, but after not listening to the web link in a long time, I listened to it again, and the sound quality is not too good, I don't know what happened to the mp3 file on broadjam.com. The high frequencies are pretty messed up, it sounds pretty bad....the original CD/Wave file sounds nowhere close to it. I encoded the Wave file into a 128kb/sec mp3 file, and that cut out some of the high frequencies, but it didn't sound that bad, I don't know what happened, sorry....

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest benjaminlibl

Woah.. you're pro.. I wish I knew how to produce. How'd you learn?

I must say I love your "I need your loving" song. It reminds me of some music in the 70s or 80s and it has a lil R&B feel. I love it! Can I download it somehow? I wanna put it in my iPod..

Maybe you should put links of all your songs of your first post so it's the first things people see when they get in here so it'll be a little more organized.

EDIT: Woah. I just saw the list of all your equipment and I must say I'll never understand what those are and I probably will never be a producer.

Woah.. you're pro.. I wish I knew how to produce. How'd you learn?

I must say I love your "I need your loving" song. It reminds me of some music in the 70s or 80s and it has a lil R&B feel. I love it! Can I download it somehow? I wanna put it in my iPod..

Maybe you should put links of all your songs of your first post so it's the first things people see when they get in here so it'll be a little more organized.

EDIT: Woah. I just saw the list of all your equipment and I must say I'll never understand what those are and I probably will never be a producer.

Thanks for the compliments. I started on a regular cassette recorder with a separate input for the left and right channel, and I used only those two channels and various weird combinations of Y-cables to record me and my friend playing guitar. Then I got a 4-track Tascam 424 multitrack cassette recorder. It allowed you to record up to 4 different tracks of either instruments or vocals, and then mix down to two stereo tracks, placing each of those four tracks anyplace in the stereo field using the pan knob. When you mix down to a master track, you had to hook up the Tascam 424 to a standard two channel cassette recorder that had a separate left/right channel. Then I worked up from there--I sold the Tascam 424 and got a Tascam 488 8-track cassette multitrack, then eventually the Roland VS1680 16-track hard disk multi-track recorder that I have now (which allows you to have 16 separate tracks). This is like a 16 track sequencer that you have on pro keyboards, except that unlike sequencers which uses sound samples, a multitrack lets you record real instruments and vocals.

Most of the major producers I know of, can play multiple instruments; I can play guitar, keyboards, bass, some tenor sax, etc. so that helps. I just enjoyed recording music and took an interest in it.

I can give you an mp3 of "I need your lovin'" with me singing on it, but not the one with Justin Young singing on it, because my agreement with him was that I would not release the song with the version with him singing the lead vocals. I can use it to pitch my song to music publishers and stuff, but not release it. I could get in trouble with him if I gave it out. Not to mention that it's just not cool, when you already have an agreement. As a musician, if you want to continue to work with other good musicians, you want to have a good reputation and integrity. I know this one leader of this local salsa band that was notorious for not paying his musicians on time or at all, consequently, nowadays he can't get any good musicians to play with him anymore.

I can send you the mp3 with me singing the lead, but I have to say that I am not really a R&B singer like he is. I sang the background vocals on the version I have in this thread, but singing background vocals is of course different than singing the lead vocals. I've written R&B songs as you can see, but it doesn't mean I can sing them very well, as is the case with some songwriters who can write very well in some genres but can't sing very well. I'll pm you more about it, to give me your email address to send the mp3 etc....

Guest benjaminlibl

The guy singing it is Justin Young? Can you send your version to me anyways?

Woah. You can learn all this stuff on the net? How much does the essential equipment cost? I have a piano and a guitar.. Besides that what would I need?

The guy singing it is Justin Young? Can you send your version to me anyways?

Woah. You can learn all this stuff on the net? How much does the essential equipment cost? I have a piano and a guitar.. Besides that what would I need?

Yes, it's Justin singing lead vocals on that version of "I need your lovin'"

I sing the background vocals on the song, but singing background vocals is totally different than singing the lead vocals.

Yes, I'll email you the mp3 file of the version with me singing the lead vocals.

In answering your questions:

I think you can learn most of this stuff on the net. I personally didn't learn it that way, but the internet has incredible information if you look.

It depends on what music genres you want to record in: R&B, Rock, etc. If you want to do organic sounding rock, then you might want to either get a hardware based multitrack, Tascam, Yamaha, Roland, Fostex, Korg, Boss all make affordable stand alone hardware multitracks--check out American Musical Supply online for a look at them. I think they still make cassette multitracks, but I wouldn't buy those with all the affordable hard disk digital recorders that are available. Plus with cassette multitracks, it's a pain in the a** to maintain, you have to clean the tape heads with alcohol swabs every time you use them to make the heads last, demagnetize the heads, clean the rubber parts, not worth the headache to me.

I think you can get a standalone 8 track hard disk recorder/mixer for about $350 nowadays, I think you can get digital 4 tracks for even less. My Roland VS1680 16-track cost me about $3500 years ago with the two digital effects expansion cards, but for that price nowadays you can get the top of the line VS2480, a 24-track hard disk recorder with moving faders.

Or you can go the PC route with ProTools LE, but I don't use software, so I can't help you there.

You'll need some microphones. It would be nice if you could get a large diaphragm condensor microphone for lead vocals, but I don't know if you want to spend at least a couple of hunderd dollars on those (the top of the line Neuman U87 can cost over $3000 dollars). But for starters you could get away with a small diaphrahm condensor, or even a cheap dynamic microphone like the legendary Shure SM58 for about $70.

You have a good start, instrument-wise with your piano and guitar.

If you want to do something like Electronica, you could use software, or also a sequencer from a keyboard. I'm not that familiar with hooking up a keyboard with the PC, so you would have to do research there.

Guest snowflakes1001

wow its amazing!!

I really like I need your lovin'

I really want to write my own songs too, but what I usually do is just play randomly on the piano..

which does make some melodies.. but its so random with like minimal structure.. X(

Amazing job!!

wow its amazing!!

I really like I need your lovin'

I really want to write my own songs too, but what I usually do is just play randomly on the piano..

which does make some melodies.. but its so random with like minimal structure.. X(

Amazing job!!

Thank you for the compliments

Different songwriters write songs in different ways

sometimes just noodling on guitar or piano, you can come up with some melodies like you said, I've done that too

Here's the lyrics for my songs in the above posts--

"They’re His Now"

I look out the window, I can still see your car pull in the driveway,

like it used to before

I leave the light on, like I used to every night,

expecting you to come walking in the door

How things have changed, since he took your love away

CHORUS:

All the smiles that used to come my way

He gets to see them every day

The words you whispered in my ear

He hears them now when you are near

And all these gifts I lost somehow

Those precious moments are his now

I felt the difference in the way that you moved when I touched you,

I knew something had changed

You were silent, when I asked you what was wrong

But then you told me his name

It’s such a shame, that it had to end this way

CHORUS

How things have changed, since he took your love away

CHORUS

"Early on Christmas Day"

Early in the morning

As the sun is rising

While the winter birds sing their melodies

I turn to find you’re no longer near me

EARLY ON CHRISTMAS DAY

Peeking down the stairway

I spy you with the stockings

Adding gifts to fill them overflowing

The tree, alight with colors a-glowing

EARLY ON CHRISTMAS DAY

When the kids come down

Their eyes will glow—look all around

“Look at this here…and over there!”

“Look what I found…so big and so round!”

They’ll wonder how Santa got in here

And where he left his reindeer

Oh, no! We forgot the milk and cookies

Oh, well! Maybe next year we’ll remember

EARLY ON CHRISTMAS DAY

Hush! I hear a sound

The kids are up—walking around

Tell them to wait! No, it’s too late!

Ready or not, they’re coming down

Dad, tell me how Santa got in here

And where he left his reindeer

Mama, we forgot the milk and cookies

Oh, well! Maybe next year we’ll remember

EARLY ON CHRISTMAS DAY

"If"

If you were to leave me and

If you had deceived me and

If you swore you’d never see my face again

My dear, each day a letter to you I’d send

I’ll love you to the end

If you lost your spirit and

If you wouldn’t hear it and

If we didn’t seem to have that chemistry

My dear, I’d bring you roses and candy

I’ll love you to the end

If you lost your luck—became a bum without a buck

There’s still no way my love would end

I can still see through all the muck; I know that

If you had stopped dreaming and

If life lost its meaning and

If good times became a distant memory

My dear, I’d give you the best time in history

I’ll love you to the end

If you shopped all night—maxed out our cards—no need to fright

There’s still no way for even a day my love would end

It wouldn’t feel right; I know that

If you were to leave me and

If you had deceived me and

If you swore you’d never see my face again

My dear, don’t think I’d ever stop caring

I’ll love you to the end

The lyrics for "If" are in a tongue and cheek style, this song is about obsession really. I also used a tongue in cheek style for "Do a Doobie", it's not a serious tone at all, in fact, quite silly

As I mentioned before, I used the same melody that I used in "Early on Christmas Day" for "If" and I guess it works okay in both....

Guest SailorBoy62

Hey there, sorry it took me a while to check out some of your new tracks, busy with finals and whatnot. I took a listen to "I Need Your Lovin'," "Snake Charmer," and "I'll Be Here For You." They're all pretty good, there's a really nice oldschool kind of jazzy vibe to "I Need Your Lovin'," overall though, I think they're all kind of very Adult Contemporary and a bit on the safe side. It would be nice to hear something a little more mainstream just to change things up a bit.

Hey there, sorry it took me a while to check out some of your new tracks, busy with finals and whatnot. I took a listen to "I Need Your Lovin'," "Snake Charmer," and "I'll Be Here For You." They're all pretty good, there's a really nice oldschool kind of jazzy vibe to "I Need Your Lovin'," overall though, I think they're all kind of very Adult Contemporary and a bit on the safe side. It would be nice to hear something a little more mainstream just to change things up a bit.

Thanks for listening, and I have a different version of "Snake Charmer" that I think I might send you the link for, it's more "adult", but no swearing

this is the male version of snake charmer with different lyrics:

http://www.broadjam.com/player/player.php?...sionINDEX=30197

I produced this one, the lead singer is Jevan Paisley and I rap in the middle. I use a snippet of the public domain snake charmer melody. I wrote it specifically for a film/TV pitch (didn't get it), but they wanted something sexy, but with no explicit words....but it was good practice for me because I had to produce it in one week.

Guest Xiah Myungjin

PLS LISTEN TO MY SONGS n DO COMMENT IT ( IF U HAV TIME ^^ )

www.soundclick.com/xiahmyungjin

JUST BY VIEWING HELPS A LOT =]

Archived