Can I Please Have Your Opinion?

MakahaMusic

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^no I can't hear it either =D

Thanks for the PM btw. I usually listen to rock and no, I don't write/sing/have music on Soompi. I just like going on here and hearing other people and their talents XD.

My songs are streaming okay now, as of Wednesday 10:38 pm Hawaii time, so I think it was just the broadjam website that was having temporary problems, but my songs are streaming fine now....

I'll add some more of my songs soon....let's see I've posted four song links so far....how about some death metal next, nah just kidding.....

And I do that too--listen to other people sing and the music they write, not just on soompi, but on other forums too....it's amazing how many talented people there are who you've never heard of before....

the r&b one is really good ^^

the beat is nice..

and the harmonisation is awesome..

is it all ur singing??

newaiiz.. u did really well.. i like it^^

Thank you for the compliments....

I sang all the background vocals (overdubs--all done on my old obsolete Roland VS1680 16 track digital multitrack--and I used all 16 tracks, in fact I ran out of tracks and had to bounce tracks, I wish I had more tracks) and Justin Young did the lead vocal...

I arranged the harmonies....

I actually learned about harmonies when my job was to lead the praise and worship band in my church....I had to learn the harmonies for more than 40 praise and worship songs (I don't know if you listen to Christian music, but I'm talkin about standards like Shout to the Lord, Eagles Wings, etc.)

So anyways I had to learn the three-part harmonies for all those songs, and since I was the leader of the band, I had to teach the background singers all the harmonies for the songs, so I had to know them inside out....so that's how I developed my ear for harmonies...

After you get experience doing that, your ear develops....after a while I could come up with three part harmonies quickly for any melody that I wrote or heard....your ear develops with experience and practice....

And for you gals/guys reading this who use multitrack recorders, just a little trick I've learned regarding background vocals/harmonies: record each part in a three part harmony multiple times and spread it out in the left-right stereo field. For example in "I need your lovin'", I recorded the lower two vocal parts four times each, and then I spread them out hard left, 10 o'clock, 2 o'clock, and hard right in the stereo field, which gives the backup vocals a huge wide sound (reverb helps too). And then the lead vocal was doubled (for just the chorus), both parts in the center (12 o'clock), but one part slightly lower than the other to give the lead vocal a thick sound....

Anyway, that's how I got that big sound with the harmonies...

Of course, with backup vocals, you run out of available tracks quickly when you do it this way, you have to start bouncing tracks....

Here's another one of my songs....this one is Electronica....with a bit of a Brazillian influence, I have my vocals doubling the nylon string guitar melody

here's the link--

Spectrum:

http://www.broadjam.com/player/player.asp?...ile=5366_162305

I did the drum programming from scratch, and my producer friend told me (and he's a pro who did the soundtrack for the Baywatch-Hawaii series) that he think's that I'm crazy for doing the drum programming from scratch. Because there are software loop programs that do it much faster than manually doing it like I did. But I have a old slow computer so I don't use loop software.

I had to program a drum machine, note by note, very tedious....literally hundreds and hundreds of notes (snare hits, kicks, hi-hats) programmed individually, took some 20+ hours to do it.

anyways, tell me what you thinkz.....

Guest BEBixAMY

yay im a gemini too!

It's nice to have someone that makes their own music on soompi.

I think i'm probably the only one that's left, (Since everyone else who does doesn't come here anymore)

so yay for us!

I only listened to the last one "I Need your lovin" since it's in my genre of interest.

I think the guy who sang it has a great tone for this song.. your harmonies are very nice

You should make some more like this!

Guest fixated on 1 star

Yay, the song works now =D.

I really like "I Need Your Lovin". It reminds me of sitting on the beach watching the waves on a nice sunny day haha. The harmonies during the chorus and whatnot sound awesome also XD. And I agree with ^ that its cool that you write your own music, and it's really good too.

yay im a gemini too!

It's nice to have someone that makes their own music on soompi.

I think i'm probably the only one that's left, (Since everyone else who does doesn't come here anymore)

so yay for us!

I only listened to the last one "I Need your lovin" since it's in my genre of interest.

I think the guy who sang it has a great tone for this song.. your harmonies are very nice

You should make some more like this!

Thank you for the compliments

soompi member fantasii writes music too....she's good....she's a really good singer too...

I'm gonna go look for your thread, so I can hear your music

Yay, the song works now =D.

I really like "I Need Your Lovin". It reminds me of sitting on the beach watching the waves on a nice sunny day haha. The harmonies during the chorus and whatnot sound awesome also XD. And I agree with ^ that its cool that you write your own music, and it's really good too.

Thanks again for the compliments and for listening

Here's a variation of the song Spectrum above, except there's electric guitar in the B section instead of a trumpet.

Which one works better, the electric guitar or the trumpet??

Shift:

http://www.broadjam.com/player/player.asp?...ile=5366_159982

and for comparison...

Spectrum:

http://www.broadjam.com/player/player.asp?...ile=5366_162305

Hmm...maybe I should have put these in the first post...

Here's another song--

If:

http://www.broadjam.com/player/player.asp?play_file=5366_21875

This one is a bossa nova...

I arranged this in a fairly authentic way, except that the percussionist on this song used Congas, and Congas are not a part of traditional bossa nova....I gave him some liberties there....

But congas have found their way into some modern bossa nova though....

This song is a song about obsession, but told in a more subtle/humorous way. This particular song's form is AABA (verse, verse, bridge, verse). Most of my previous songs I posted above were verse, chorus, verse, chorus form with sometimes a bridge between the second and third chorus.

Here is the lyrics for IF:

If you were to leave me and

If you had deceived me and

If you swore you�d never see my face again

My dear, each day a letter to you I�d send

I�ll love you to the end

If you lost your spirit and

If you wouldn�t hear it and

If we didn�t seem to have that chemistry

My dear, I�d bring you roses and candy

I�ll love you to the end

If you lost your luck�became a bum without a buck

There�s still no way my love would end

I can still see through all the muck; I know that

If you had stopped dreaming and

If life lost its meaning and

If good times became a distant memory

My dear, I�d give you the best time in history

I�ll love you to the end

If you shopped all night�maxed out our cards�no need to fright

There�s still no way for even a day my love would end

It wouldn�t feel right; I know that

If you were to leave me and

If you had deceived me and

If you swore you�d never see my face again

My dear, don�t think I�d ever stop caring

I�ll love you to the end

wow! you're amazing!

i wish i could do that too :mellow:

Thank you for the kind words and thanks for listening.

I've just been doing it for quite a while....I won't say exactly how long, because that will give away my age =)

I think with anything you do, the more you do it, the better you get at it....my first few songs that I wrote I would never, never, never play for anyone, because they totally suck eggs....playing instruments-wise, I've been doing that a long time too....played piano since I was 6, guitar since I was 13, so it's just that I've been doing it quite a while....and like I've said before, I still don't think that I'm that good of a singer, never did....though when I was younger, at one point I did want to become a guitar hero like Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, etc....now I guess my goal is just to become a professional songwriter/composer....

thanks for the pm =] i like ur new songs the rythm.. the beat.. or wutever u call it.. -__-...

and no i dont have songs up on soompi but i do sing.... maybe later i'l post some songs :D ..

thanks for the pm =] i like ur new songs the rythm.. the beat.. or wutever u call it.. -__-...

and no i dont have songs up on soompi but i do sing.... maybe later i'l post some songs :D ..

Thank you for the compliments

When u put up your songs, I'll check em out =)

Guest SailorBoy62

Listened to "Stories Make It Easier," it's cute, reminds me of the Jack Johnson songs from Curious George. The melody was kind of similar to "La Bamba" mixed with "I Saw Mommy Santa Claus." "Power Surge" was a nice instrumental, although I wouldn't know what genre it would be either.

Archived