Can I Please Have Your Opinion?

MakahaMusic

HOly Crapperz, that's impressive. i love how you can have the determination to finish songs. I've tried a few times to write something, and it's always only the intro.

I like you're lyrics, they're not ur usual straight foward teeny blooper lyrics....and the music was awesome =)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listened to "Stories Make It Easier," it's cute, reminds me of the Jack Johnson songs from Curious George. The melody was kind of similar to "La Bamba" mixed with "I Saw Mommy Santa Claus." "Power Surge" was a nice instrumental, although I wouldn't know what genre it would be either.

Thanks again for the comments and for listening...

Speaking of Jack Johnson, he's probably the second most successful songwriter from Hawaii.

The most successful songwriter of all time from Hawaii, has got to be Dean Pitchford, who wrote the songs "Fame" (from the movie of the same name), "Almost Paradise", "Holding out for a Hero", and the ENTIRE soundtrack to the movie "Footloose" starring Kevin Bacon. Yeah, that's right, he wrote all the songs in the movie. He's also a screenwriter.

Check out his biography:

http://imdb.com/name/nm0685673/

It's mind boggling....if I was only 10% as successful as he is, I would be a happy man....

HOly Crapperz, that's impressive. i love how you can have the determination to finish songs. I've tried a few times to write something, and it's always only the intro.

I like you're lyrics, they're not ur usual straight foward teeny blooper lyrics....and the music was awesome =)

Thank you for the compliments

In terms of songwriting, I think one of the challenges (and I'll just focus on the VCVCBC song form for now), is to create a verse and chorus that are different, but not too different from each other. If you write a chorus that is too different from the verse, it may sound awkward because the chorus and verse might sound like they belong in two separate songs, instead of the same song.

On the other hand, if you write a chorus that is too similar to the verse, it will sound boring and repetitive. So there's a fine line there....

For me personally, lyrics are much harder to write than music. For "I need your lovin'", I wrote the music/melody in about 15 minutes, literally. Same with "If" (I practiced writing music quickly in different genres, because my pro producer/songwriter friends told me that in the real world of professional songwriting--especially writing songs/composing for film/TV, there is almost no songwriting done from inspiration. Most of the time, they have a very quick deadline, and they have to intentionally write in a certain genre about a certain subject, so everything is done super quick). But anyways, the lyrics for "I need your lovin" took hours (and that was with the help of my co-writer), as opposed to 15 minutes for the melody/music, so lyric writing is harder.

In case you wanted to follow along with the lyrics, here's the lyrics for some of my songs above:

"Fiesta (come on, let's dance)"--and yeah, my spanish pronunciations aren't the best when I sing=(

Don’t let your worries weigh on your mind

Come join the party. Have a good time

There will be dancing all through the night

So grab a partner. No one will bite

Step to the left now, and step to the right

While snapping your fingers up out of sight

CHORUS:

Todo el mundo—Hey, everybody

Toda la noche—Dance through the night

Vamos de fiesta—Come on, let’s party

Vamo a bailar—Come on, let’s dance!

Pick up your partner; spin her around

You’ve got to keep her feet off the ground

Now take another; you are not bound

Another partner’s sure to be found

CHORUS

Take your new partner; spin her around

Just like the last time, feet off the ground

Switch to a new one; still, you’re not bound

Not for as long as you hear this sound

CHORUS

"I Need Your Lovin'"

When I get home, I reach for my key

Door swings open; you’re waiting for me

A hard day’s work; I need to unwind

Babe, let’s have some fun

It won’t cost a dime

CHORUS:

I need your lovin’, kissin’ and huggin’

Till the night is gone, till I can’t go on

I need your lovin’, squeezin’ and touchin’

Baby, don’t you know that I can’t let go

‘Cause I need you here with me through the night

What can I do? There’s no lovin’ without you

Wanna hold you—feel you up and down, yes I do

It’s your touch that gives me a thrill

Babe, you make me feel

A wonderful chill

CHORUS

Wrap your tender arms around me

Yeah, Baby let’s be

A family of three

CHORUS

"Stories Make It Easier"

CHORUS 1:

Mommy, can’t I hear a story?

Won’t you tuck me in tonight?

STORIES MAKE IT EASIER when you turn out the light

Once upon a time, there was a little bear

He had two older sisters; who curled his hair

CHORUS 2:

Mommy, please another story

Before you tuck me in tonight

The bear with his new hair climbed up the tallest tree

He took a look around him, and saw a monkey

CHORUS 2

The bear and his new friend, they swung from tree to tree

And when they found a bee hive, they ate some honey

CHORUS 3:

Mommy, thank you for the stories

I’ll have pleasant dreams tonight

Here's another song--

Don’t Give Up:

http://www.broadjam.com/player/player.asp?...file=5366_29539

It's a Christian song...I'm not trying to convert anybody or anything...just sharing...

Here's the lyrics--

I know that God cares ‘cause He heard my prayers when my dad was drinkin’

I asked God each night with all of my might, “Please, Lord, get Dad thinkin’”

Dad would be gone till before dawn—then stumble in

Then came the big fight, in the night, time and time again

CHORUS:

DON’T GIVE UP! Just look up

No matter what goes wrong

Keep prayin’—obey Him

God is faithful; He will keep you strong

My dad’s angry voice left me with no choice but to hide in silence

Through twelve hard years, I hid many tears, struggling through the violence

And then one day, I learned to pray and Papa sobered

He was a new man, changed by God’s hand—his drinking was over

CHORUS

If there is something wrong that’s bothering you today

You needn’t worry—God promises He’ll help you if you pray

CHORUS

Guest BIGBANG_LOVE

oh i think you are sooooo talented. people in korea don´t often do this music, it sound so exotic and cool to mee. very good.

Guest aznangeltaffy

okay i listened to Ride with the Devil

Positives: I definately like the vocals they are very smooth and soothing sounding..

Negatives: but the song itself was a little bit of a bore to me maybe a little too mellowish for my taste is what i guess i'm trying to say it's kinda like nothing to really look forward to in the song it sounds pretty much the same mellowness throughout the song. sorry! i dun wanna sound mean :( but that is just my own personal taste in music

other people will probably like it though. :)

awesome! btw, what program do you use? O_O?

Thank you for the compliments and thanks for listening.

I don't use PC software, if that's what you meant by program.

I guess I'll give you a list of the equipment that I use. I'm not rich at all, I've just collected these over the years.

I have a Roland VS1680 hard disk 16-track multi-track recorder. I use the onboard microphone pre-amps although I should really use stand alone pre-amps, but I don't.

I use an Alesis/GT electronics AM62 large diaphragm condenser microphone for vocals (I bought it about six years ago for $800, they don't make that model number anymore).

I have a Fender American Standard Statocaster with Dimarzio HS-2 pickups in the neck and bridge positions.

For bass, I use a Fender American Standard 5-string Jazz Bass.

I have a Takamine Nylon String guitar, and a Matsuoka Nylon String with an added LR Baggs piezo pickup I had installed. I forget the exact models, I have to go look inside the sound hole again.

Boss DR-770 drum machine.

And a Boss DR-660 drum machine.

Event PS5 monitors.

Roland XP-80 synthesizer/sequencer

Shure SM87 small diaphragm condenser microphone.

Pair of AKG dynamic microphones (I forget the model number, I think it's D880)

Chimes with damper

Various small percussion (triangles, claves, etc...)

A rather modest home studio, and kinda obsolete now....but is still works for me

okay i listened to Ride with the Devil

Positives: I definately like the vocals they are very smooth and soothing sounding..

Negatives: but the song itself was a little bit of a bore to me maybe a little too mellowish for my taste is what i guess i'm trying to say it's kinda like nothing to really look forward to in the song it sounds pretty much the same mellowness throughout the song. sorry! i dun wanna sound mean :( but that is just my own personal taste in music

other people will probably like it though. :)

Thanks for the comments and thanks for listening.

I certainly welcome all comments, both pro and con, as feedback helps me to improve my songs. So thanks again...

Guest BaKeRzHuNnI

Wow... I liked them all. Great job and please continue writing and providing us with your music. You are truly talented!

Guest NotFromThisPlanet

i listened to some of your songs. i really liked the childrens song. it was cute. im looking foward to hearing more of your clips.

Archived