Kim Nam Gil 김남길 ~ An Actors' Actor ~ Upcoming Films : 'The Guardian' | 'Emergency Declaration'

Admin

I finished watching 'Don't Look Back' on the weekend - I really enjoyed it with all it's twists and turns :)  I read some reviews that talked about plot holes and 'how could this or that happen' but I just watch a drama to be entertained and I was :)  I think with any story whether it be a movie or a drama or even a book one can find fault if one looks at it so critically and I find I very rarely notice those things that others do :tongue:  

So tonight I thought I would watch Memoirs of a Murderer.  Mmmm I did get a little confused along the way which I think the writer intended and the ending wasn't entirely clear to me.  I've tried to look for some recaps ie, Dramabeans or a Soompi forum for the movie so I can read others thoughts but can't find anything.  Does anyone know of any please ?  I wondered how Kim Nam Gil felt while acting  this role of a serial killer and having to get into the mind-set of such a person.  Not an easy role to play I would imagine and I have read that he is an actor that does immerse himself into a character.  I'm glad I have seen him as Heo Im in 'Live up to your Name' - I really enjoyed him as this character :wub:

• Like 2

On 11/4/2017 at 5:31 PM, fineapple said:

@yanki nothing much actually. just more nudity and violence (I saw some spoiler,, but it's not that worth it for 19+ in my opinion). the VOD in Korea is already out, but no one upload it yet on torrent or other site, lol I think the international fans really need to wait for the DVD. 

Sorry late reply. Where did you see it?

How was it? Did he get naked in there like the one said in her spoiler? I want to see it too :lol:

I've tried to look for some recaps ie, Dramabeans or a Soompi forum for the movie so I can read others thoughts but can't find anything.  Does anyone know of any please ? 

I've been trying to find one as well but couldn't see anything. The only thing I learned was that, the older man was about to kill himself but stopped because he started to have that hallucination that Taejo is still alive. I really wish someone will start posting their opinions about it too -- especially those who read the novel.

I wondered how Kim Nam Gil felt while acting  this role of a serial killer and having to get into the mind-set of such a person.

I wondered about that too but I think now he is matured enough or strong enough to know separate his acting from real life and they started to  shoot Memoir of a Murderer around 2015.

an update, Kim Namgil is not not nominated in Blue Dragon Film Award

This is so sad... I really wonder why he could never get in those awardings....

• Like 2

@yanki oh the full director's cut torrent link is out, is it ok to post the link here? (lol since it's illegal??) but no sub yet. the story is more understandable for me. there are so many reviews in korean blog. they say that it's just different with the novel. but the director alrd said that before that the movie is different with the novel.

Spoiler

and from what I read, they usually have 3 conclusion about Taeju.

1. Taeju is real character.

2. Taeju is only an imaginable character of Byungsoo that he creates to explain his evil side.

3. Taeju is real and somehow (not sure at what time of the storyline) was killed by Byungsoo, but Byungsoo used Taeju as the villain where actually all the murders were done by Byungsoo. So Byungsoo uses his Alzheimer as an excuse to tell the police that interrogated him according to what he wants to remember.

I think that number 3 is true after I watch the director's cut. and because of the number 3 conclusion, there are many fans that feel bad for Taeju :(( Hahahah as usual, a sad ending for Kim Namgil's character.

AND YESSSS naked backside Taeju for like 4 seconds?? lmao

• Like 4

Thanks @fineapple

Hahaha so they showed KNG's back for few seconds, then it's not really that bad lol :D

23 hours ago, joowonie said:

I’m so sad to know he didn’t get nominated :( what does he have to do??!!

I am sad too. I don't really know why can't he get anything... :(

• Like 1

7 hours ago, luvkstyle said:

@fineappleThank you for this...I hope it gets subbed...and soon :)   Hahah Kim Nam Gil and his 'beautiful' butt....it's becoming his signature piece :lol::wub:

LOL omg i so pervy saying this but I need to see more of his backside! I just need to see more of trainer kim in general esp in interviews. That clip of him speaking to an actor on “I live alone”  I need to know what was said that lead to him swearing lol  

• Like 2

@joowonieHaha when I wrote that comment I was reminded of an interview I read when I was back-reading this forum.  He was asked what part of his body did he like the most and he apparently answered...'my butt', then he laughed and said 'no, my eyes' :tongue:  So I guess he's aware of the impact he has made :tongue:  He has also said he is a 'broad-minded man' so we have been warned.

I do feel though that the scenes in Portrait of a Beauty and Lovers Vanquished were not gratuitous and were portrayed naturally.  Yes I was surprised at the length of the scene in Portrait of a Beauty but when I thought about it (or some might say tried to justify it haha) Shin Yun-Bok /Shin Yun-Jeong was discovering herself as a woman after having to pretend to be a male all those years so this was like an awakening for her.  Also Kang Mu said to Kim Hong Do before his death that he was always sincere toward her - he loved her.  I must say that I have as a Westerner seen much more on TV that has left me cold and made me turn it off.

@scarleyerza My eyes were immediately drawn to the guy making the face...I was thinking that was Kim Nam Gil... I wonder why lol.  I see he is wearing one of his famous tracksuits :)

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I was browsing through Netflix to see what Kdrama/Movies etc, they had and I came across the variety show 'Abnormal Summit'.  I was able to watch the episode that had Kim Nam Gil on it as a guest with his Pandora co-star Moon Jeong Hee with English subs  - perhaps some of you have already seen it :D It's a really interesting and also funny show - the beginning was a bit serious before they came on but after that - they were discussing different countries taboos and superstitions and would they open 'Pandora's Box".  Kim Nam Gil didn't say too much but it was just nice to watch him as he listened to the others - he's soooo handsome ^_^.  He also shares his acting superstition :tongue:  Beside having our man on the show I found the show itself to be very interesting as they have people from different countries joining in the discussions - their Korean is excellent haha.

Here is the link for those that have access to Netflix - Season 1 Ep 15

https://www.netflix.com/watch/80176755?trackId=13752289&tctx=0%2C14%2C18dcbdf6-0259-4358-8cad-8a03ea6ae2a1-7602459

• Like 1

On 11/9/2017 at 2:32 PM, luvkstyle said:

@joowonieHaha when I wrote that comment I was reminded of an interview I read when I was back-reading this forum.  He was asked what part of his body did he like the most and he apparently answered...'my butt', then he laughed and said 'no, my eyes' :tongue:  So I guess he's aware of the impact he has made :tongue:  He has also said he is a 'broad-minded man' so we have been warned.

I do feel though that the scenes in Portrait of a Beauty and Lovers Vanquished were not gratuitous and were portrayed naturally.  Yes I was surprised at the length of the scene in Portrait of a Beauty but when I thought about it (or some might say tried to justify it haha) Shin Yun-Bok /Shin Yun-Jeong was discovering herself as a woman after having to pretend to be a male all those years so this was like an awakening for her.  Also Kang Mu said to Kim Hong Do before his death that he was always sincere toward her - he loved her.  I must say that I have as a Westerner seen much more on TV that has left me cold and made me turn it off.

@scarleyerza My eyes were immediately drawn to the guy making the face...I was thinking that was Kim Nam Gil... I wonder why lol.  I see he is wearing one of his famous tracksuits :)

Lol I was going to comment on the tracksuit but you beat me to it. I also feel that the intimate scenes in POAB was very natural bc of the female lead’s awakening. I miss seeing him in a drama already :( I watched KNG on AS and yes he was very handsome! I love the fact that the panel is quite diverse  and the non korean members spoke korean fluently. I finished watching MOAM and I don’t quite understand the ending but KNG looked really scary as a murderer and that scene with the splitting head was very scary!  

• Like 1

@joowonieYes that scene with the splitting head was very unexpected for me lol...I've never seen that done in a movie before :tongue:  I'm rewatching Live up to Your Name after Memoirs of a Murderer for some light relief haha.  There were some very funny moments in AS...he was so funny when he drooled....he didn't even try to hide the fact but told everyone lol :lol::wub:

Yes I would love to see that episode of Life Bar subbed too :)

• Like 2

Thanks for the pictures. He look tired in some of the pictures lol.

I heard his character in the movie is somewhat like a stupid son or something like that? lol so completely different from his usual roles.

Is there anyone here who've watched his movie Shameless? is it true he also had a naked scene in there?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, yanki said:

Thanks for the pictures. He look tired in some of the pictures lol.

I heard his character in the movie is somewhat like a stupid son or something like that? lol so completely different from his usual roles.

Is there anyone here who've watched his movie Shameless? is it true he also had a naked scene in there?

Yes and they need rating 19+ for this movie.

The movie itself very dark dan quite boring for some people, but I think storyline quite good and deep.

• Like 3