[Current Drama July 2024] UMI NO HAJIMARI/THE BEGINNING OF THE SEA 海のはじまり-Ren Meguro; Izutani Rana; Shinobu Otake; Furukawa Kotone;

CarolynH

UMI NO HAJIMARI/THE BEGINNING OF THE SEA

Umi no Hajimari (2024) poster

Director: Kazama Hiroki, Takano Mai

Screenwriter:    Ubukata Miku

Synopsis:         Tsukioka Natsu is 28 years old and single. He works for a printing company in Tokyo. One day, Tsukioka Natsu hears that Nagumo Mizuki died. They were in a romantic relationship when they attended the same university. They broke up after Nagumo Mizuki suddenly told him that she wanted to end their relationship, and she disappeared afterwards. He didn't hear anything about her for the past 7 years after their breakup. Tsukioka Natsu attends Nagumo Mizuki’s  funeral, where he meets a young child named Umi. He is surprised to learn that Umi is Mizuki Nagumo’s daughter. Nagumo Mizuki’s mother talks to him and tells him that Umi is his daughter.      

cr:  My drama list

Cast:  Ren Meguro as Tsukioka Natsu

Izutani Rana as Umi

Arimura Kasumi as Momor Yayoi (Natsu's current gf)

Shinobu Otake as Nafumo Akane (Mizuki's mother)

Sosuke Isematsu as Tsuno Haruaki (Mizuki's co-worker)

Furukawa Kotone as Mizuki

Kido Taisei as Yamato (Natsu's younger step brother)

Go Riju as Namgumo Shohei (Umi's grandfather)

Namomi Nichida as Tsukioka Yukiko (Natsu's mom)

Yasufumi Hayashi as Tsukioka Kazuya (Natsu's step father)

1. All general forum rules apply.  Please read the rules carefully. You will be warned if you are found in violation of any of these rules. 

2. Do not bypass the swear filter.  Using *, ! or other symbols in place of a letter is unacceptable.     

3. Do not bash drama and movie characters, actors, actresses, or other members, or post untrue information.  Bashing will not be tolerated by any means and will result in a warning. This includes but is not limited to the usage of derogatory remarks, spreading rumors, swearing, etc. Please respect each others' difference of opinions.    

4. Do not quote pictures or long posts.   Instead, remove images in your quotes. Quotes do not count towards the 20-character limit rule. If you're going to quote a picture or post, say something about it. If a quote is too long (more than 10 lines), only quote a subsection of the text. Quoted pictures set in spoiler tags are considered a violation as well.   Threads that are meant solely for pictures belong in the k-entertainment general discussion.       

5. Do not post consecutively (one after another).  Do not post one picture per post or one quote per post in addition to posting several times in a row to bump your post count or keep a thread on the first page of the forum. Simply edit your previous post.      

6. Do not engage in non-related conversations and share non-related content.  If you are not going to engage in a discussion about a drama, movie, or actor/actress, use the PM system or other means of communication. Keep birthday celebrations out of thread topics unless it pertains to the stars of the thread involved.      

Hi all, My 2nd attempt at creating a thread.  I'll add more content as it becomes available.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I'm guessing that the 3rd person who read with Ren Meguro (Natsu) and Izutani Rana (Umi) is the actress playing Umi's grandmother. 😊

Excited getting to know the rest of the cast members! 

X post above is by Ken Murase, the producer of 「The Beginning of the Sea」. He also did 「silent」, the drama he worked with Ren Meguro for the first time.

The drama title is like a wordplay on little Umi's origins! 😅 Umi means sea in Japanese language.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, rocher22 said:

I like the synopsis but I wonder if there will be some loveline for the single dad. :unsure:

If he's in a relationship when he meets Umi, perhaps so? Or perhaps not since he was going to his former lover's last rites even when there was no contact with her for 7 years since they parted?

What a doozy way to find out though that he's a father.

I'm assuming there'll be flashbacks with Umi's late mother when she and Meme were in a relationship, and as mother to Umi while she's growing up. Curious who'll be playing this role. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Curious who'll be playing this role. 🙂

me too...

2 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

What a doozy way to find out though that he's a father.

and Im curious what is the reason for her to hide the pregnancy from him.

I didnt know that umi means sea...a fine wordplay...:D

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1

5 hours ago, rocher22 said:

and Im curious what is the reason for her to hide the pregnancy from him.

Umi's granny might know why.

a fine wordplay...

Natsu also means summer. Meme will give life to Natsu as Meme can only do this summer. 😄

• Like 2

The latest from Ken Murase confirms his trust and admiration of Meme and his craft from when they did 「silent」.

"The time has come to fulfill the promise I made with Meguro-kun on the set of 「silent」. We will start filming soon. Our summer is about to begin."

~~~~~~~

"Comment from Producer Ken Murase (Fuji Television Drama/Movie Production Department)

"We are happy to welcome Ren Meguro as the lead role.

"The drama begins when the main character, Natsu, learns that the person he loved has passed away, and that she had a child with him.

"I can't wait to see how Mr. Meguro will play Natsu, who learns that he is a father and tries to be a father. I am confident that a Natsu that only Meguro-san can portray will be born.

"The important role of Umi for this drama will be played by Sena Izumiya**. Honestly, I'm just grateful that Sena-chan is 6 years old at this time in 2024.

"It's sad, it hurts, but it's kind and warm. I would be happy if you could immerse yourself in the story of parents and children that only this team can weave this summer."(Google/Bing/Lens translate w/editing for grammar and coherence)

**Sena Izumiya is the native name of Izutani Rana

I can already feel it. Preparing ahead boxes of tissues!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Filming commenced today!

Yesterday, Meme and his staff went to a shrine to pray for the drama's success.

Their first day of filming bento lunch:

Yey, the drama's soc med admin also posted that from now on they'll be uploading behind-the-scenes shots and filming photos! 👏

• Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

7 hours ago, CarolynH said:

Oh, I didn't know they're only starting to film.  I thought the filming was completed.

I'm surprised that before filming started, they've already announced the premiere date and airing time of the drama.

I think it's the trademark Japanese efficiency (kaizen philosophy) that they would deliver a perfect product on time.

Apparently, Jdramas would normally start filming the scenes few weeks before the 1st ep is out. 🙂

I don't know how they do it for Kdramas, but for Cdramas, the booting ceremony up to last day of shooting can take as long as 150 days. After post production processes, it will be reviewed by censors, and final number of episodes might be increased or reduced, some parts and scenes might be axed. Then final editing is done, then wait for the license to air. By the time the Cdrama airs, it would be around at least 18mo from filming start date. 

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, CarolynH said:

Oh, I didn't know they're only starting to film.  I thought the filming was completed. 

:what!:   me too

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

Apparently, Jdramas would normally start filming the scenes few weeks before the 1st ep is out. 🙂

I didnt know that, but that is good for the viewers because the wait is not long.

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

I don't know how they do it for Kdramas, but for Cdramas, the booting ceremony up to last day of shooting can take as long as 150 days. After post production processes, it will be reviewed by censors, and final number of episodes might be increased or reduced, some parts and scenes might be axed. Then final editing is done, then wait for the license to air. By the time the Cdrama airs, it would be around at least 18mo from filming start date. 

I was shocked when I finally found out about the whole process about a year ago. :D

• Wiggle 1

I was shocked when I finally found out about the whole process about a year ago. :D

And then it can still get cancelled while airing if there are too many mundane complaints raised by the viewers or the drama earns notorious/controversial reputation. Sigh. 😑 

• Shocked 1

Character intros! 😍

GNVhTzJbAAAwKiR?format=jpg&name=medium

Cr: @umi_no_hajimari

"Natsu Tsukioka (Ren Meguro)

"A 28-year-old young man who works at a printing company in Tokyo. When he was 3 years old, his parents divorced and his mother took him in. Later, when his mother remarried, he would have a father who is not related to him by blood, and a brother who is three years younger than him.

"At the university's welcome party for new students, he meets Mizuki, and the distance between them naturally shortens as they started dating. However, when he started looking for a job, Mizuki unilaterally broke up with him, then she quits the university.

"Afterwards, he got a job at a printing company in Tokyo during the summer. He still lives in the same apartment as he did when he was in college.

"After receiving the news of Mizuki's death, whom he had never met since they broke up, he came to know about the existence of his daughter, who is connected to him by blood..."

GNHVRg-bEAAhQIT?format=jpg&name=medium

Cr: @umi_no_hajimari

"Nagumo Umi/Sena Izumiya

"Umi, a 6-year-old girl, "lost her mother whom she loved, and met the person that her mother loved."

"Umi was born between summer and water season, but she grew up without knowing she has a father.

"One day, her beloved mother passed away, and at the funeral, she met Natsu, who was attending the last rites.

"At first, the two did not exchange words, but then Natsu came and they were sitting alone on a bench in the lobby."

(Google/Lens/Bing translate w/editing for grammar/coherence)

××××××××××××

This is a very sad first meeting...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Character intros! 😍 

I hope there will be an acceptable reason why Umi didnt know about her father either. 

I already like the bench scene...

Natsu seems like a quiet and nice guy. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CarolynH said:

I'm wondering if Mizuki abruptly ended the relationship is that Natsu may have mentioned not wanting a family until he was more established.  

Both were young and barely started university, so it's possible that Natsu might have said something along those lines, which Mizuki took as rejection. He could just be talking casually of his plans and views to her as he looks for a job, but if she already knew she's pregnant that time, she might have thought of herself and the baby as unwanted burdens.

On 5/14/2024 at 3:05 PM, rocher22 said:

hope there will be an acceptable reason why Umi didnt know about her father either. 

I'm curious too, why she'd choose not to let Natsu know about Umi.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Updates! 🤩

Filming scenery of the visuals released when the drama was announced. 

It was also the first time Meme (Natsu) and Izumiya (Umi) met. They've become good friends. 😍

Producer Ken Murase posted in his X that in the 4 days since filming of the drama started, they were able to shoot some good scenes. He also said that the background music and the theme song are coming together, while they are working with the poster shoots at the same time.

He says too that from hereon, there'll be small announcements of various things every now and then to look forward to. 🤗

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

I'm so happy that the drama's official IG and X accounts and the producer are so generous with updates. 🙂

Another clip of Meme and Izumiya. At the very last of the clip must be the 1st poster shot that was released when the drama was officially announced. 😍

Producer Ken Murase gives the update that yesterday and today, they shot very important scenes symbolising the drama. He says that they just started filming, but that he feels pretty good with the work progress. The photo he posted is that of a cabbage field they had seen today. Apparently, there are cabbages everywhere where they're filming at now. 😄

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

I'm so happy that the drama's official IG and X accounts and the producer are so generous with updates. 🙂

Me too!  I finally found the drama IG account.  

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1