American Rap Vs. Asian Rap?

Guest asianromance

Guest heyitzthatfc

There's underground hip hop, and then mainstream and commercialized rap. Both Asia and America has it.

I prefer to listen to real underground/indie emcees and I label them in the same criteria, there's no reason not too. Both use good beats, conscious/creative lyrics, and good scratches by skilled dj's, and have good producers.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Lol, so what is this discussion REALLY about? The crappy mainstream 'rap' or rap with actual substance? Because this will only lead to comparing one country's mainstream to the other country's underground plus the other way around and what not. Not a good (and fair) look at all.

It's no use going on about that sex drugs and money crap. If we're talking mainstream, I could go on for days about the cheesy, corny nursery rhymes that is korean mainstream too.

Let's compare american 'mainstream' and korean 'mainstream', or american 'underground' and korean 'underground' from now on.

Agreed. It's so frustrating seeing Big Bang and Jay Chou compared to underground American rappers. Mainstream Asian hip-hop is usually pop-influenced to at least some point, so how can it compare to underground artists?

Also it's impossible to just say that either American or Asian rap is better than the other. There are good and bad artists everywhere.

Guest supa'Wanki

If anyone wants a real discussion about Underground vs. Mainstream and Asian underground vs. American underground, IM me on aim, i'd be more than happy to debate on this.

I personally say that you can learn a lot from american underground rap, it's deep and not generic like 50 cent.

Guest I_broke_a_nail!

America rap is good, before the year 2000 IMO.

After 2000, everything became like "apple bottom jeans", sex, cars, money, girls booty, shooting, their bling, their car, how slutty a girl is.

Like I can't believe you guys are 100% supporting american rap, knowing that MOST of them are degrading girls left and right.

So to say Asian rap is crap, well at least the vast majority of Asian rap isn't talking about girls like objects.

I know people are saying American rap is the ORIGINAL and the AUTHENTIC rap, but that doesn't mean we have to go back in time where girls have no role in society other than to have sex with and have a big butt.

That's the only reason I think Asian rap is better in general

but rhythm and quality-wise... America rap hands down.

Guest churry

i honestly do see both with different criteria and as two separate categories/genres of rap/music... i know that asian rap will be different from american rap cuz obviously they rap about different things and in a different style AND what makes cute/fun/good beats in an asian rap song might not be so kool in an american rap song...

Guest FirstTheWorst

In my opinion, Asia's rapping is kinda wack...like Big Bangdizzle or Stupid Juniors, whatever. It should be labelled pop.

America's rapping is wayyy too dirty for society. Half of what they say is what should be kept in a private bedroom. Cause dayuuum. Hahahha. Silly society, rap's not for kids.

No offense to anyone, it's just the thoughts of a mad woman.

In my opinion, Asia's rapping is kinda wack...like Big Bangdizzle or Stupid Juniors, whatever. It should be labelled pop.

Super Junior is not a rap group or a hip-hop group. They are very clearly a pop group.

Big Bang, while having hip-hop influences, are also partially a pop group and take from other genres like electronica as well.

Please stop using Asian artists that aren't even hip-hop/rap as comparisons. I don't see why Big Bang, SuJu, Jay Chou, etc. are even being mentioned here.

Guest FirstTheWorst

In other words, they are wannabes.

They way they dress certainly does not say they are pop-ish. Big Bang pisses me off big time.

Again, no offense to soompiers since all have their own interests.

Guest xboredguy

there should be a list on the first page showing who we think are good "mainstream" rappers and good "underground" rappers for both Asian and american

Guest Sense91

I'd say America set the basis for hiphop around the world. icons like tupac, biggie, wu tang, run and jam masta j, etc layed it down

Guest rogueeex

Back then American rap actually had some meaning. Nowadays, it's about sex, girls, cars, and money. .____.

As for Asians, I love Epik High's rapping. It's pretty inspirational..:D To me at least. :D

Guest SeoulStylez

I think most of you guys are getting the WRONG scene for American Hip Hop. REAL Hip Hop died out years ago and what you guys are seeing today is just a sad subsitute of what people "like". Artists like Nas and Lupe Fiasco IMO are trying BARELY to keep it alive but sadly people prefer artists like Lil Wayne ans Soulja

boy. As for Asian rap I have nothing against since they are bascally influened by American Hip Hop.

Guest TVXQ<3

America rap is good, before the year 2000 IMO.

After 2000, everything became like "apple bottom jeans", sex, cars, money, girls booty, shooting, their bling, their car, how slutty a girl is.

Like I can't believe you guys are 100% supporting american rap, knowing that MOST of them are degrading girls left and right.

So to say Asian rap is crap, well at least the vast majority of Asian rap isn't talking about girls like objects.

I know people are saying American rap is the ORIGINAL and the AUTHENTIC rap, but that doesn't mean we have to go back in time where girls have no role in society other than to have sex with and have a big butt.

sorry for cutting your post. i agree only in this part..

Guest I<3SunSunYeMi

Jay Chou's rapping being mentioned in this thread is as bad as mentioning Kobe Bryant's rapping in this thread

LMAO,its true :lol:

Guest Miss Vivienne

America's rapping is wayyy too dirty for society. Half of what they say is what should be kept in a private bedroom. Cause dayuuum. Hahahha. Silly society, rap's not for kids.

No offense to anyone, it's just the thoughts of a mad woman.

If you're going to be clear about your opinion at least know what you're saying.

Super Junior is not even NEAR hip hop. Not even. It's bubble gum pop.

And we're not comparing to mainstream American rap, it's the underground music.

It's not offending, it's just you're just spouting out stuff that people already cleared up before your post which makes you... :mellow:

I don't listen to underground rap, Asian or American so I don't have my own opinion.

I think between Asian and American, Asians are still looking up to American music for inspiration. Most of Asian music is influenced from American music. You can honestly say that Asian's are less provocative in their lyrics just because the society isn't like America's. But I can't say the same in about 15 years. :|

So yeah, American rap.

In other words, they are wannabes.

They way they dress certainly does not say they are pop-ish. Big Bang pisses me off big time.

Again, no offense to soompiers since all have their own interests.

And lol, I have to agree, they use to look like a wannabe B2K. But in the recent months, they're influences are from Agyness Dean or Yelle (despite them being female.) I would say Europop than hiphop. G-D, he looks like he came out of NYLON sometimes. -_-

Flashy, bold, and colorful. I can say the same for the rest of korean artists. It seems like they are having some big renaissance on fashion or something.

• 5 months later...
Guest green.teax

Sigh.

Apparently, some of you haven't noticed you can actually have a conversation about Asian or American rap without dissing the artists themselves, and saying someone is richard simmons.

Guest charcoalfilter1101

IMO:

asian rap = can't be understand because of the language itself (focuses on love and love all the time)

american rap = so dirty... (u know what i mean)

for me and to those that are sick of discussing about asian and american rap, just listen to rock music especially the beatles!!!

the beatles FTW!!!!!!!

Archived