American Rap Vs. Asian Rap?

Guest asianromance

Guest Undecided

It's not true that all american rap is about pinkberryes, cars and money. Just as it's not true that all asian rap is about love or emo stuff.

You can't take either of those two seriously, unless the person has a street credibility that you can't argue against. What I mean is, if someone went from the lower end of the underclass to the top, he can rap about whatever he wants and show off his money in his lyrics, 'cause he worked hard for it, he tried to make his living and succeeded. You gotta respect that. This is the case for a couple of American mainstream rappers, but I can't say that of any asian mainstream rapper.

Now when it comes to the underground stuff, that's a whole different level. A single bar of Immortal Technique has more depth than a whole album of some whacky wannabe mainstream rappers, Asian or American doesn't matter.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tonyc402

It's not true that all american rap is about pinkberryes, cars and money. Just as it's not true that all asian rap is about love or emo stuff.

You can't take either of those two seriously, unless the person has a street credibility that you can't argue against. What I mean is, if someone went from the lower end of the underclass to the top, he can rap about whatever he wants and show off his money in his lyrics, 'cause he worked hard for it, he tried to make his living and succeeded. You gotta respect that. This is the case for a couple of American mainstream rappers, but I can't say that of any asian mainstream rapper.

Now when it comes to the underground stuff, that's a whole different level. A single bar of Immortal Technique has more depth than a whole album of some whacky wannabe mainstream rappers, Asian or American doesn't matter.

Agreed , really you cant compare Asian and American rap just at face value

I prefer Asian Rap because most of the American rap does talk about things that aren't appropriate, which will influence the American Society to follow along the lyrical trail.

So what if you can't understand it? When i started listening to Korean Pop, I didn't understand a word. I still listen to a lot of Asian songs that I don't even understand to this point.

American rap will soil in the near future. The more American Rap that is heard, the more spread influenced it will become. It is going to tear society apart little by little. Even though society is already corrupt with the music we hear today.

So what if Asian rap and stuff talks about love? We all can relate to it at some point in our lives right? Honestly, I would rather relate to a love song, rather than a song that disrespects the people that are around you each day of your life.]

American rap will give you the sensation of power, you think your all this because of what you hear in songs. If you can resemble that then in your mind you think you have a huge grasp of power. Asian rap will sooth you at times. Of course there may not be good singers, but you still have to understand that people like with what they like. There's not a way to avoid it. American Rap will continue to corrupt society. Asian Rap will continue to sooth parts of society.

I'm for Asian Rap <3

powderpuffgasp.gif

This is probably one of the dumbest posts in this whole thread, you need to educate yourself...in both asian and american rap.

Guest MsBritNicole

Eh, I listen to both, but I'm hearing more of Asian rap just because I've heard so much American rap that I just want to hear a new sound from time to time.

Guest PB&Banana

I'm undecided their are good and bad examples of both but I respect American rap more. I feel like in Asia if they can get through the words it doesn't matter if artists don't have any real rhyme or flow. Not trying to take away from the good Asian rappers because they are there it's just that the other half of these rappers aren't that good which annoys me. For example all these asian girl groups and boy bands need to have a rapper....why? If you can't rap don't rap it's that simple, respect the genre don't bring it down.

• 10 months later...
Guest orgocimaru

I prefer Asian Rap because most of the American rap does talk about things that aren't appropriate, which will influence the American Society to follow along the lyrical trail.

So what if you can't understand it? When i started listening to Korean Pop, I didn't understand a word. I still listen to a lot of Asian songs that I don't even understand to this point.

American rap will soil in the near future. The more American Rap that is heard, the more spread influenced it will become. It is going to tear society apart little by little. Even though society is already corrupt with the music we hear today.

So what if Asian rap and stuff talks about love? We all can relate to it at some point in our lives right? Honestly, I would rather relate to a love song, rather than a song that disrespects the people that are around you each day of your life.]

American rap will give you the sensation of power, you think your all this because of what you hear in songs. If you can resemble that then in your mind you think you have a huge grasp of power. Asian rap will sooth you at times. Of course there may not be good singers, but you still have to understand that people like with what they like. There's not a way to avoid it. American Rap will continue to corrupt society. Asian Rap will continue to sooth parts of society.

I'm for Asian Rap <3

You sound like a Class S Asian weaboo. I mean this in the most derogatory way possible. You make horrid generalisations and blanket statements. Not to mention the way you overdramaticise the impact of rap on society whilsts glorifying Asian rap and demeaning American.

I agree that many American mainstream rappers rap about the same ridiculous debauchery over and over again. But have you even taken the time to dig deeper? Check out CYNE,Surreal and Cise Starr. Just 3 of many underground rappers that spit about spirituality, intellect and appreciation. Mind you, I'm not saying Asian rap is bad. There are plenty of underground rappers there that are incredible. Even the more mainstream ones like Epik High and Drunken Tiger are fantastic.

If you're referring to IDOLS that rap however, those aren't rappers. They're people who talk fast. Period. So pull your head out of your Asian-worshipping richard simmons and get some perspective.

PS: I'm 100 % Asian, and proud of it.

Guest Kai-Min-Gyrl

Never listened to Asian rap so can't compare.

For me I really can't stand rap music lately because I just feel that it sucks now.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dorkylinn

I really love rap and hip - hop music. And I prefer asians rap for many reasons! First I hate when people say that hip - hop is only for black, cuz that`s not right. Anyone can play any music, no matter the color of skin. Second I don`t know abouш japanese or chines hip - hop much, but I know about Korean and love that Koreans are very educated and disciplined country in which nobody can afford to fill text with heaps of dirty words. Because if you listen more american rap you will understand that almost all the lyrics is with profanity. I think we can express our feelings without swearing. And all black rappers don`t respect the womens and always call them b.tches. Third - Asian make more interesting musics and videos and americans are always the same. I don`t want now to insult someone just saying my opinion. Thanks! <3 :sweatingbullets: 

With that I`m not saying that Black aren`t good, because there are some legends like Wu Tang Clan, Shoop Dog, 2Pac. Natte Dogg and other. Even Eminem, cuz I adore him! ^_^ And last I know that hip - hop comes from New York and from Black.

hmm to me i think asian rap is WAYYY MUCH better than american rap cuz when i mean asian rap i mean korea rap which means something special but like american rap is like useless talking about violence and money girls and things like which is useless hmm i never heard any other asian raps but korean and i can feel it means something~ but thats in my opinion~

*gasps* money and girls are useless? and Not special?

Well I think both have it's own good points, but I can never stand when Asian songs have rap lyrics that make no sense AT ALL>

Guest MangoStar

For those who believe that American rap is without substance, you need to be slapped upside the head with wisdom. I hate to be so blunt, but come on. A menagerie of the topics you hear these artist rap about IS their life. They don't make this mini cooper up for entertainment most of the time. Furthermore, have you not heard of underground/unsigned artists? I don't know how many times this genre was even mentioned in this thread but some people seem to conveniently gloss over it. Lil' Wayne, Wacka Flocka, Gucci Mane etc do not define the hip-hop/rap community.

I do love my Asian rappers. Regardless of nationality, ethnicity, if they're rapping about something meaningful and it hits my soul, I can relate and it'll end up on replay. So no one's rap is better than the other in all honesty.

Dorkylinn, you did insult someone with your blanket statements. I find it repulsive that you lump all Black rappers as all being disrespectful towards women. I have yet to hear Lupe Fiasco (using him as a convenient example) call a woman a pinkberry. Trust me, Koreans can have dirty mouths just like the rest of us, I'm just sure you wouldn't hear it on national TV.

EDIT:

LucasBunny, I love you.

Guest TerioN

i prefer american over asian rap simply because im not 100% fluent in asian languages, and imo rap is mainly about lyrics. cant enjoy asian rap to the fullest if i dont understand the lyrics now can i? but from what i do understand, tbh asian rap lyrics seem 'lame'? like not as much wordplay and such as american rap (or maybe i just dont understand). and by american rap i dont mean the mainstream stuff like lil wayne gucci mane and stuff, but actually lyrical stuff like lupe.

ironically, most of the rap i listen to is by asian artists but in english haha. youtube artists anyone? :)

Guest creaturedreams

American rap has more history. There's 2Pac, Biggie, Nas, Bone Thugs N Harmony, Wu Tang Clan etc; so essentially that's where Asian are incomparable. But in the recent years I have listened more to Asian-American rap because they have enormous talent, Decipher, Dumbfoundead, Jay Park, Shing02 .. these guys just are killing it.

Guest Chu4Lyfe

MangoStar pretty much summed everything up.

I didnt go through the whole thread but I'm sure half of what was said was the typical generalizations people give to Hip Hop and the culture itself. People should stop basing it on Little Wayne and Wiz Khalifa. Nobody's talking about De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, KRS-One, Rakim, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Common or Nas. Asian rap and American rap are completely different...

People are also basing this entirely on false accusations and by meaning. There's more then just the message such as emceeing... Flow... Lyricism...

• 4 years later...
On 11/28/2006 at 6:13 PM, Paradox said:

Maybe I'm the only one who sees it, but it seems in American rap, that "hip hop" lifestyle carries into...everything..it's literally their life. In Asian rap for the most part it seems to be part of the music, but at the end of the day they're still themselves without worrying about how "street" they are. I prefer this, actually, and agree with the overratedness of mainstream rap in America

Style wise, rap here is moving into newer styles while Asian rap has a feel of older hip hop to it (same with their r&b artists)

First of all how do the Asian rappers not live the "lifestyle", guns and sex are not just an American thing people in other places can do these things, so i would say that it is pretty ignorant to state that they don't live that lifestyle. Also if you think that rap in America is overrated then don't listen to it or comment on rap, America is a free country you can do whatever you want, but don't be ignorant.  

Archived