American Rap Vs. Asian Rap?

Guest asianromance

Guest asianromance

how would you define them?
How would you define rap? Do you judge American and Asian rap by the same criteria? Or do you see them as two different categories- in terms of style, rhythm, feel....

just wondering what your thoughts are..

thanks...

--edit---

i don't mean to ask which rap is better or which you like better cuz it's obvious there are good and bad in each and everyone's got their own tastes. Just wondering if you think that asian rap's destination is to be like american rap or do you think it's going towards another destination- towards the creation of a subgenre- that is like american rap but something different. like jazz vs. acid jazz and pop vs. pop rock.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest SophiaSan

no offense....but

american rap, directed more to the hip hop scene is getting seriously overrated

like the whole: money, cars, girls, pimping this and that, bling, grills..etcetc

yeahhhhh xD

i personally think asian rap is....weird just because they rap about weird things or maybe its me? the whole asian hip hop scene is starting to grow more and more now. so yeah

Guest Paradox

Maybe I'm the only one who sees it, but it seems in American rap, that "hip hop" lifestyle carries into...everything..it's literally their life. In Asian rap for the most part it seems to be part of the music, but at the end of the day they're still themselves without worrying about how "street" they are. I prefer this, actually, and agree with the overratedness of mainstream rap in America

Style wise, rap here is moving into newer styles while Asian rap has a feel of older hip hop to it (same with their r&b artists)

Guest kamui_hime

i feel like american rap sometimes is more authentic (or used to be becuase of the things they rapped about like eminem's early stuff and some dr dre) but now i feel like its overrated b/c all they do is rap about cars, money sex and women. asian rap for the most part is more mainstream (pop lovers still like it) and i feel like its more universal because they are able to sing as well.

Asian mainstream rap is a joke.

American mainstream is above it.

However....American underground is good stuff....followed by the Asian underground.

-Luna-

Guest AtomicNorthernLights

Personally i preffer American Hip-Hop, im a big dead prez fan and just copped the new a-alikes album. As for asian rappers i listened to some m flo and DT but right now my ears are focussed on asian americans such as flowsik,shogunna,chan, and rook.

Guest Thizzbetan_monk

you can't compare American rap to Asian rap in my opinion...why? Hip hop is all about swagger and it's a lifestyle, most Asian rappers just don't live that lifestyle....you don't see many of em backpackin or nothin...but places like Brooklyn, L.A, Oakland, dudes be on the block all day hustlin their cds out...and plus Asian rappers be rappin about some old corny stuff that ain't noone really wanna hear about...there's only two asian rappers I respect. HaNsAi and Sniper...the rest is garbage in my eyes....

now for those saying American hip hop is severely overrated, if you put Kanye, Jeezy, Lil Wayne and even Jibbz in a ring with any asian mc, and they will give it to the asian mc....

and to those who say that american hip hop is overrated now i suggest you listen to Papoose, Lupe Fiasco, .45 Cal, Hell Rell and some other folks...and thats just from the east not even the west

Guest CutieGirl303

hmm to me i think asian rap is WAYYY MUCH better than american rap cuz when i mean asian rap i mean korea rap which means something special but like american rap is like useless talking about violence and money girls and things like which is useless hmm i never heard any other asian raps but korean and i can feel it means something~ but thats in my opinion~

Guest Thizzbetan_monk

^^^^YO are you serious??? Korean rap better than American rap cuz American rap spits nothing meaningful?? Yeah i admit that some Korean mcs spit about some useful stuff, but what about 90 percent of em singin about the same love story over and over again?? You don't ever get tired of hearing that stuff? Go turn on some Jurassic 5, Hieroglyphics, Atmosphere, Immortal Technique if you wanna hear some meaningful stuff cuz the stuff they be spittin be about 100 times more meaningful than whatever any Korean mc could dish out...no hate...I'm just sayin it like it is

Guest uiyoltan

^^^^YO are you serious??? Korean rap better than American rap cuz American rap spits nothing meaningful?? Yeah i admit that some Korean mcs spit about some useful stuff, but what about 90 percent of em singin about the same love story over and over again?? You don't ever get tired of hearing that stuff? Go turn on some Jurassic 5, Hieroglyphics, Atmosphere, Immortal Technique if you wanna hear some meaningful stuff cuz the stuff they be spittin be about 100 times more meaningful than whatever any Korean mc could dish out...no hate...I'm just sayin it like it is

Sad but true. But actually you might want to try underground asian stuff if you haven't already (if you're just basing off of just mainstream asian stuff). Maybe the underground asian cats actually do live the hip hop lifestyle. Actually I'm getting into some Chinese underground rap now, thanks to a friend. I took a first listen to one Chinese rapper, and I was blown away. Except for a certain number of artists, asian hip hop really disappoints me.

Most people here probably haven't even heard of one of the artists you mentioned.

you can't compare American rap to Asian rap in my opinion...why? Hip hop is all about swagger and it's a lifestyle, most Asian rappers just don't live that lifestyle....you don't see many of em backpackin or nothin...but places like Brooklyn, L.A, Oakland, dudes be on the block all day hustlin their cds out...and plus Asian rappers be rappin about some old corny stuff that ain't noone really wanna hear about...there's only two asian rappers I respect. HaNsAi and Sniper...the rest is garbage in my eyes....

now for those saying American hip hop is severely overrated, if you put Kanye, Jeezy, Lil Wayne and even Jibbz in a ring with any asian mc, and they will give it to the asian mc....

and to those who say that american hip hop is overrated now i suggest you listen to Papoose, Lupe Fiasco, .45 Cal, Hell Rell and some other folks...and thats just from the east not even the west

Thank you!

That's like comparing black martial arts to asian martial arts.

This is a dumb discussion!

People say that american rap is nothing meaningful??

OMG please, sure they rap about guns and stuff like that, but that's real life.

and if it wasnt for american rap there would be no asian rap

in the end it all comes down to the origin.

But of course on soompi people are going to be biased and vote for asian rap.

Guest uiyoltan

Thank you!

That's like comparing black martial arts to asian martial arts.

This is a dumb discussion!

People say that american rap is nothing meaningful??

OMG please, sure they rap about guns and stuff like that, but that's real life.

and if it wasnt for american rap there would be no asian rap

in the end it all comes down to the origin.

But of course on soompi people are going to be biased and vote for asian rap.

Actually it doesn't all come down to origin. It comes down to which is better. American rap is better. Period. Maybe in a few decades or centuries or so will Asian rap compete with American rap. Of course I'm talking about the whole scene, not individual artists.

Guest Thizzbetan_monk

I'm not speaking on it without knowin it...I used to listen to Epik High, HaNsAi, Joosuc, Side B, BCR crew, Sniper, CB Mass, DJ Wreckx, I was all into korean hip hop for a minute, but its all the same stuff...no originality but the underground heads in America can spit about some amazing stuff you'd never expect anyone to rap about, real talk

I'm not speaking on it without knowin it...I used to listen to Epik High, HaNsAi, Joosuc, Side B, BCR crew, Sniper, CB Mass, DJ Wreckx, I was all into korean hip hop for a minute, but its all the same stuff...no originality but the underground heads in America can spit about some amazing stuff you'd never expect anyone to rap about, real talk

Guest newlili

i do not like rap at all , but in my opinion American rap is much better because they rap about their Life style and REAL life stuffs : guns, sex, cars, gangs, drugs, cops, even political stuffs : They want to express through the rapping ... You sure will feel bored if you live outside the USA or in Asia ofcourse .... but You will know if you live in the areas in the US where you cannot go somewhere without a gun or a knife in your pockets ..... When across 10 states of America, my family make sure we have gun or knife in the cars (safety is always the best)...... and selling and buying drugs have been a big issues : I saw a cop handcuff a guy selling drug just 4, 5 steps next to me when I walking on the really nice street, my friends nerver use drugs but have cops stop their cars to search for drugs sometimes and cops DO shoot innocent black guys and girls manytimes and so on .....

One more thing : without American Rap ..... there will be No No Asian rap at all : Asian rap just try to imitate the main stream music of the world

Guest Born: 1985

Either way, I don't understand neither. I don't understand American rap's slang and slurs. I don't understand Korean's Hangul and Engrish.

But I'm pretty sure Koreans talk about love but more presently they're starting to mention alcohol, cars, and money.

They just don't quite refer to women as h0es, $luts, and b!tch3s.

:crazy:

Archived