American Rap Vs. Asian Rap?

Guest asianromance

Guest angelixer

Those who say asian rap is better than american rap, has absolutely NO relevance to the discussion. This whole discussion is a mess. Hiphop began as a voice for those who didn't have it. In America. Black america. It was about speaking your mind, speaking about the struggles, the highs and lows of life. Not popcorn richard simmons. Today, all this money, cars, jewels and sex mainstream bullsh*t is all that you see (everywhere), and it's a DAMN shame. MC's (not even MC's, let's call em corny richard simmons 'rappers') you hear on the radio the most nowadays, cater to the man with the big money and HIS desire to cater to that 5-minute hype popcorn music that is handed to you on a daily basis.. I mean, it's so damn easy to copy a certain genre, but it ain't easy if you've actually been through mini cooper in your life and actually putting THAT into your music. And I ain't talking about only baby love kiss kiss broken heart type richard simmons. Hiphop, bigger than religion.

Ugh, and if Eminem is the only good american MC you can refer to, you shouldn't even start... He's good, but come on now. KRS, Mos, Slick, Common, Rakim, L-Boogie... Your popcorn artists could never.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those who say asian rap is better than american rap, has absolutely NO relevance to the discussion. This whole discussion is a mess. Hiphop began as a voice for those who didn't have it. In America. Black america. It was about speaking your mind, speaking about the struggles, the highs and lows of life. Not popcorn richard simmons. Today, all this money, cars, jewels and sex mainstream bullsh*t is all that you see (everywhere), and it's a DAMN shame. MC's (not even MC's, let's call em corny richard simmons 'rappers') you hear on the radio the most nowadays, cater to the man with the big money and HIS desire to cater to that 5-minute hype popcorn music that is handed to you on a daily basis.. I mean, it's so damn easy to copy a certain genre, but it ain't easy if you've actually been through mini cooper in your life and actually putting THAT into your music. And I ain't talking about only baby love kiss kiss broken heart type richard simmons. Hiphop, bigger than religion.

Ugh, and if Eminem is the only good american MC you can refer to, you shouldn't even start... He's good, but come on now. KRS, Mos, Slick, Common, Rakim, L-Boogie... Your popcorn artists could never.

Truth!

Gospel Truth

Preach On!

Guest angelixer

Truth!

Gospel Truth

Preach On!

Boo boo, it's time to school dem haters like momma schooled us how to eat. It itches that place on my back I can't reach, when all they know is a eminem, a 50 cent, or a damn Souljaboi tellem and richard simmons, and then DARE saying american rap is a mess. They too lazy to look further than mainstream crappadocio. Where's the Ghostface, where's the Wu, where's the Lupe etc in your life? Put your little pinky finger in THAT and then come back discussing this with CORRECT reasons to back your richard simmons up.

• 1 month later...
Guest hango0kblazzed

If you guys are gonna argue hip hop history at least get your facts straight, rap has its roots in Jamaican dancehall/sound systems, and if you want to look how music evolves you need to realize that "Rapping" was never meant to make the artist bigger than the music itself, MC'ing at parties started in dance-halls and was meant to enhance the music, and the music itself was always the focus. Unfortunately in most cases this has become an annoying trend as the American evolution has turned into a self centered ego-centric ride to riches and the music itself is suffering.

Koreans adopting Hip Hop is no different from Americans adopting and evolving rap from Jamaican Dance-halls. Music is meant to evolve, to say its bounded by language and culture is ignorant. You realize the very first break beat DJ who decided to do "Shout outs" over the music at local parties and eventually "rap" over it couldn't do so until he lost his Jamaican accent. why? because back then Jamaican accents were "new" and "weird" and he was discriminated against...heavily...DJ Kool Herc, Bronx NY from Kingston Jamaica, Google it if you don't know, read up and realize that America was where hip hop was born but Jamaica was where it was conceived, Music is all borrowed it belongs to nobody in particular.

who's to say there wont be a new genre of movement in Korea someday, just how Americans adopted and evolved it into something they understood, why cant Koreans do the same?

either way, content wise, America in spades, as a whole the industry is richard simmons right now, but past artists who struggle to move any cd's at all established some sort of bar for true aspiring MC's to aim for.

Musically, ill go for Korea, the pool of music just seems to be deeper on that end of the ocean, and I'm not sure if its because they aren't afraid to try anything, or because it sounds fresh and different from the standard American style but its more enjoyable to actually just listen to without dissecting the meaning of the song.

Besides, its not like Snoop Dogg isn't doing hip-pop love songs himself right now. Anybody else on the charts for that matter. Even 50 belts out the smooth love tunes to push sales.

Just for discussion sake, as much as you people wanna throw out the names of acts that are forced to do randolls island shows and tour Europe for lack of interest here in America, how relevant are they really to a discussion that includes an audience that barely notices them? I have all the respect in the world for the Mos Def's, the Talib's, The Monch's, the Common's, The Roots's, The DeLaSoul's, The Dead Prez's, etc etc etc, but how relevant are they to an industry that all but shuns them in favor of Hip-Pop.

In all honesty if we are talking about the NOW, and whats in the spotlight then America is in shambles, musically its a meat grinder and lyrically its a shell of what it used to be, underground is the underground so forget about that for the moment, the content is on par of anything else trying to imitate it, and why? because its so easy now that its a by the numbers success formula out there for anybody to imitate. At the very least, at least Korean rap doesn't take itself seriously which at least makes it light hearted and somewhat fun to listen to.

Besides, you guys are losing sight of what hip hop is, its less about sounding off about how much your life sucks and how ganksta you can be because society made you into an animal waiting to kill by depriving you of an education, a fair shot at a future, basic human rights and all that jazz. It's more about giving the artist a voice to talk about anything they wish, Do you really think rap was always depressing and militant? It started out as party music, real good times stuff talking about hanging with your friends and good food and such.

Guest guccigal

I must be crazy but I prefer Asian ( esp Korean) rap to American rap. Heck, I don't even know what they are rapping about... ^_^

Try Big Bang RAP- you'll be converted!! I am! I am now liking Epik High too.

I must be crazy but I prefer Asian ( esp Korean) rap to American rap. Heck, I don't even know what they are rapping about... ^_^

I hope this is a joke

Guest hango0kblazzed

Look up Clive Campbell then we can have a discussion about Rap.

i had already suggested that =P

Guest Tonyc402

YOU CANNOT COMPARE AMERICAN WITH KOREAN RAP. IF YOU actually LISTEN to real American Hip hop , then it aint all about the sex , drugs and materialism. God , theres wayyyy too many teenyboppers who think that mainstream rap represents ALL american rap/hiphop. its stupid. Go listen to Lupe Fiasco, Kanye West, KRS, THE ROOTS , Notorius . To me , American hiphop has wayyyy more meaningful lyrics then Korean hiphop. And please dont recommend Big Bang , its actually a joke.

ROFL... you cant be serious... BIG BANG?! hahahaahahahahah i hope you are joking.

Guest LovinSoshi14

Of course the Asians are going to pick Asian rap rofl, you know most American rappers are Black, and we all know how most asians are, so why wouldn't they? lol

Asian rappers copy the most stupid and senseless rappers here in the US, asians ignore the decent and good rappers, thus they pick the ones that look like them, rofl. Morons. Plus half the girls on here are BB groupies...so yeah LOL.

Btw alot of your little tacky Korean rappers copy UNDERGROUND american rappers, they're by far the most PATHETIC, untalented people to ever be allowed in a recording studio, lol.

I'll say this..

Asian rap :: Fake, copy cats, copy underground rappers from the US, LINE BY LINE in some songs, fake gangsters wanting to pretend they live some kind of thug life, lol.

American Rap :: Generic Pop rap (ex. Soulja boy) & Real rappers who actually live what they speak about.

Guest li-mei

Honestly, I hate both of them in some aspects. I hate most today's hip-hop/rap music, though a few artists catch my attention. Sometimes the beats are good, but the lyrics just ruin the song. Personally, I don't want to listen to a song that constantly spews out themes of violence, egotism, promiscuity, or even ones that promote bad grammar. It's disappointing.

With the exception of a few select groups/artists, I also don't care much for Asian rap. Don't tell me that I should try listening to any rap groups from YG either, cause I'll only laugh at you. I did try to get into it, and it was just a waste of time.

These new "rap" groups are parallels to alcohol and smoking. They're both popular, but it doesn't mean that they're good for you.

Guest hango0kblazzed

all this talk of american rappers being so real, with the exception of a few rappers out there now, and i stress few, not a whole lot of them actually "live" what they are talking about.

sorry, i respect him as a rapper but jay-z dont come around bedstuy no more.

Guest ginger

hmm to me i think asian rap is WAYYY MUCH better than american rap cuz when i mean asian rap i mean korea rap which means something special but like american rap is like useless talking about violence and money girls and things like which is useless hmm i never heard any other asian raps but korean and i can feel it means something~ but thats in my opinion~

I disagree. Sooooooo many rap songs in Korea are like...love songs. Basically...the same crap being said in a ballad but 10x faster. There ARE some good Korean rap artists just like there ARE some good American rap artists. If you listen to the mainstream stuff of each country, it's going to blow in comparison to the less-widely known stuff.

Anyway, I favor American hip-hop because I know where it's coming from--it's history in the community and such. A lot of Korean rap seems to be like a fun, poppy trend and doesn't have as much to do about the history of blacks living in America/Canada.

-ginger

Guest Tonyc402

I disagree. Sooooooo many rap songs in Korea are like...love songs. Basically...the same crap being said in a ballad but 10x faster. There ARE some good Korean rap artists just like there ARE some good American rap artists. If you listen to the mainstream stuff of each country, it's going to blow in comparison to the less-widely known stuff.

Anyway, I favor American hip-hop because I know where it's coming from--it's history in the community and such. A lot of Korean rap seems to be like a fun, poppy trend and doesn't have as much to do about the history of blacks living in America/Canada.

-ginger

Yeah I agree with this so much . To me , the mainstream Korean rap is too poppy for me and its the same thing over and over again ( ex.. Big Bang).

Guest Angelbum

I really don't like Asian rap.

I think Asians are just not meant for rapping.

.....probably coz they're voices aren't manly enough therefore when they rap they're putting on a voice trying to sound "Black".

.....When someone like Jay Chou raps, I don't feel that annoyed because hes still rapping in his same voice but when someone like TOP raps it really annoys me coz hes trying to sound black and stuff.

Sorry to all those Big Bang fans if I offended anyone.

It's just my opinion.

all this talk of american rappers being so real, with the exception of a few rappers out there now, and i stress few, not a whole lot of them actually "live" what they are talking about.

sorry, i respect him as a rapper but jay-z dont come around bedstuy no more.

?? I don't see what Jay-Z coming around Bedstuy has to do with anything

-ginger

Ginger I love u

Guest li-mei

I really don't like Asian rap.

I think Asians are just not meant for rapping.

.....probably coz they're voices aren't manly enough therefore when they rap they're putting on a voice trying to sound "Black".

.....When someone like Jay Chou raps, I don't feel that annoyed because hes still rapping in his same voice but when someone like TOP raps it really annoys me coz hes trying to sound black and stuff.

Sorry to all those Big Bang fans if I offended anyone.

It's just my opinion.

I agree with your first statement, but not your second.

Performing a certain style of music shouldn't be dependent on what race the person is. Saying that Asians aren't meant for rapping and that their voices aren't manly enough is an insult. It's disregarding female rappers and other rappers who may not have low voices. As long as the person can write their own raps well, and perform it well then it doesn't matter how low their voice is or what race they are. There are Hispanics that rap well too, and one of the Asian American rappers that I haven't seen mentioned yet are Mike Shinoda (Fort Minor) and Southstar (Smilez and Southstar). It shouldn't be thought of as, "Hey, it's an Asian that can rap," but rather, "It's a rapper who is Asian."

As for TOP, that is what happens when someone tries to emulate a something that they don't fully understand. BB fans, mind you that I said "emulate" not "imitate."

Guest woohee

urm...

if i was to choose which one is better then i choose

asian rap.

cause american rap now a days are about

sexs, girl's boy, and money..

yeah, i choose asian rap.

I would have to say neither if it's based on the current music of today. Bring back the old goodies from the 90s! lol I mean even Kanye West is starting to do the degrading women, money, sex crap. He's becomings WAY too full of himself. TAT And I think Asian rap is too new to even count. ._. Except raps that have to do with songs about people's corruptions, Asian rap alone doesn't have nearly enough substance to count as 'good' rap.

Those who think that Big Bang are great rappers, trust me they have a heck of a long way to go. Right now, in mainstream kpop, Epik High is the best (in terms of lyrics and rapping ability). Their lyrics have meaning to them. In Jpop, I advise you to look more underground at the urban artists.

Guest dancingbymyself

I don't really know much about american rappers, but for asian/korean rappers, do you guys know Verbal Jint. The song he released a single (like last summer) was really poppy, but if you listen to the tracks on his cd, some are actually amazing. There's this one with no music, just him keeping the beat by himself. I also like him because he never tries to be "gangsta" in the least. Whenever you see him he just looks like a regular guy you could see walking down the street.

I don't think you shouldn't be able to do rap just because you come from a certain culture. I mean if you love the music, then go for it. You don't have to come from any special sort of backround to like a style of music or be good at doing it. If an 80yrold white grandmother in a wheelchair can spit, then let her. Rap came from the black community, that doesn't mean it has to stay there. That's like saying only white kids should listen to classical music because it came from the white community.

------------------------------------------------

Also, if i'm going to be listen to "throwaway pop rap" then i'd much rather listen to korean rap, becuase it tends to be love songs, which I like. I'd much rather listen to say... Ice Cream - Mc Mong, than like Crank That - Soulja Boy. It has a much more positive message, and I like that. I'm sure there are american rappers with positive messages as well, they're just not as in the mainstream and harder to find.

To finish the post i'll post my current favorite rap song right now

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MiA0NV7Q9FY

He might not be the best rapper in the world, but he's decent, and the song makes me smile. And in the end of the day that's whats important about music right? That it makes you FEEL.

Archived