American Rap Vs. Asian Rap?

Guest asianromance

they both have its ups and down.

i like rap,

but most american mainstream rappers raps about sex, cars and pimping. i cant deal with that.

as for asian rappers, sometimes they just come up with a bunch of rubbish and act a little too ghetto for their own good.

but every now and then, they both would come out with a little something something that makes me smile and go, "thats hot"

i guess thats what matters.

alls good when there is good music.

end of discusstion!

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
Guest Sango2893

Big Bang Fangirl here~!

lol, but I listen to Lupe,Nas,Biggie,Eminem,Tupac,Immortal Technique,NWA,

Bone Thugs w/harmony,Jay Chou,Wang Lee Hom,Dynamic Duo,Epik High,and

Drunken Tiger.

Biggest difference between American rap and

Asian rap to me is.

American rap is more real.

There's a struggle behind it (if you get pass all of that money,ho's and crank that ish...)

No record label is just gonna get some kids from the street and train them and mold

them into their image of hip-hop.It's years of making mixtapes,deciding if you want food or studio time,having a dream.

Whereas Asian rap is just trying to be more marketable,and they succeed.

Example:I loved Biggie,loved his flow,but he was overweight,not the best looking,couldn't dance(as in choreo and bboying),and didn't have people to sing for him and cover for him in a group,but he was real.

Plus,I'm sure not too many mainstream Korean rappers could freestyle,because some people don't realize

they only do as much as they are 'trained' to do.

That's the difference between American and Asian rap to me.

Guest 1S0ULL

I just don't really enjoy rap that much in general.

But the American rap is getting really overrated.

I don't really want to listen about sex, girls and money.

& like Big Bang . . . I don't really consider as like RAP rap.

Just my opinion...I don't think I make sense LOL .

Guest bumpngrind

Asian hip-hop, with the exception of a few artists, is complete garbage. American hip-hop is the original and the best.

Big Bang Fangirl here~!

lol, but I listen to Lupe,Nas,Biggie,Eminem,Tupac,Immortal Technique,NWA,

Bone Thugs w/harmony,Jay Chou,Wang Lee Hom,Dynamic Duo,Epik High,and

Drunken Tiger.

Biggest difference between American rap and

Asian rap to me is.

American rap is more real.

There's a struggle behind it (if you get pass all of that money,ho's and crank that ish...)

No record label is just gonna get some kids from the street and train them and mold

them into their image of hip-hop.It's years of making mixtapes,deciding if you want food or studio time,having a dream.

Whereas Asian rap is just trying to be more marketable,and they succeed.

Example:I loved Biggie,loved his flow,but he was overweight,not the best looking,couldn't dance(as in choreo and bboying),and didn't have people to sing for him and cover for him in a group,but he was real.

Plus,I'm sure not too many mainstream Korean rappers could freestyle,because some people don't realize

they only do as much as they are 'trained' to do.

That's the difference between American and Asian rap to me.

I definitely agree.

None of the members from Big Bang could ever freestyle live or battle rap. And that's what separates most Asian rappers from American rap. Most Asian artists have no creativity at all when it comes to hip-hop, they're just trying to sell something.

But I'm sure there are talented MCs in the Asian underground.

Guest Rokujuuichi

i think american rap is more authentic, but asian rap is still good too! i love yoobin and top =D

Asian hip-hop, with the exception of a few artists, is complete garbage. American hip-hop is the original and the best.

I definitely agree.

None of the members from Big Bang could ever freestyle live or battle rap. And that's what separates most Asian rappers from American rap. Most Asian artists have no creativity at all when it comes to hip-hop, they're just trying to sell something.

But I'm sure there are talented MCs in the Asian underground.

I think that's over-generalizing. Most mainstream Asian hip-hop isn't that good. Honestly, I don't consider Big Bang or Jay Chou to be hip-hop artists. Nor are the majority of mainstream American hip-hop artists "original" or the best. You can't compare more underground, American hip-hop artists to a group like Big Bang. Look a little deeper into Asian hip-hop and you'll find that a lot of artists that are extremely talented and creative. Try shing02 or Uyama Hiroto. Epik High's older work from before they became so popular and mainstream is pretty good.

Guest Angxizzle

well imo, american rap is getting pretty over-rated now a days like someone said it's all about money,girls,etc. i used to listen too alot of rap [most people i know are into hip hop/rap] but now a days i listen to other things with a exception of a few, mostly underground artists in asia same thing. both have moments,i dont wanna say anything really bad about any side since i dont wanna generalize.

Guest thermopyle

Dead Prez, Common, Nas, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Lupe Fiasco.

There are always going to be crap out there but saying 'american rap'

is all about sex, money, ho's, etc. is bs. If all you're finding is the

richard simmons they're shoveling on mtv, then you're not looking very hard are you?

Guest ketchup?

I'm not trying to offend anyone but honestly, I'll listen to anything that has MEANING to it and American rap to me has turned into a big fiesta on how much money you have or how many chicks you've done. I don't want to hear about all the drugs you do and I don't want to know about your criminal background and I don't want to hear you cuss. I don't mind listening to people who have good messages in their raps.

Guest AlexRyom

Well, I don't like American rap/hip-hop/R&B/whatever in general... But I think that American rap is a bit too overrated and that it has no meaning whatsoever. I mean, "Pop the top like a sardine can"? That line scared me a lot. o______o' I think Asian rap is more for its meaning, but some is a bit to American ghetto-wannabe-ish when they have random English words that don't make sense. But then some can use the English well and it sounds nice. [Go Tablo^^ ... then again, he is a Stanford grad.]

Guest xboredguy

frankly i believe american rap went down the drain after the east coast west coast feud which resulted in the deaths of two of the most talented rappers of all time, biggie and tupac

however, there are still some good american rappers and to compare them with asian rappers is comparing two different things

asian rappers(at least mainstream asian rappers, not too familiar with the underground scene) are trained by these huge corporations and are told what to rap. while a few of these "corporate" rappers are allowed to compose thier own music, most dont cuz they are simply not allowed to while american rappers do write their own lyrics, even if its about drugs, sex, and girls

in a single sentence: I LOVE TUPAC AND BIGGIE

Guest theray

Asher Roth speaking the truth on the milli

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8DEci07s2o

Teriyaki boyz ft kanye west a good collab with japan and america

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJancjWRV9Q

Asher Roth - Roth boys

Wale - the artist integrity

T.I. - no matter what

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFXzQBJkm2g

The Roots - Rising up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-nyyQrmiQ0

American hip-hop wins only because ive heard a lot of asian rap but in the end i cant force myself to like it.

Although Rap is mostly crap and all of you saying american stuff is all the same it isnt and you should wake up.

Guest watermelon586

i don't like how American rap always has bad lyrics...it's all about sex, gangs, money, "i'm such a pimp" and all that

Asian rap tends to be on the safer side in that realm, which I like...i can actually listen to it without being smacked in the face with a ton of profanity and whatnot

Edit://

American rap to me has turned into a big fiesta on how much money you have or how many chicks you've done. I don't want to hear about all the drugs you do and I don't want to know about your criminal background and I don't want to hear you cuss.

^ EXACTLY!

Guest mz simmonz

Since I'm not fluent in any Asian language (I speak Chinese but not well enough to understand it in rap) I do judge American and Asian rap on a different criteria. For Asian rap I judge it mainly on just how it sounds (the rapper's voice, rhythm, how it blends into the song etc) since like i said, I don't understand it. As for American rap it's also about sound but of course the content is also taken into consideration..someitmes a rap song has a great beat but the words are utterly stupid. mainly the songs they play at clubs..it's just good to dance to or drive to but I can really care less about your hoes and new rims. On the other hand, some rap songs sound "eh" but when you listen to the words, the meanings are so deep and the wordplay is so profound you can't help but let it grow on you. The only example I can think of is Nas. I personally am not a huge fan of his music..I don't find it very catchy or particularly attention grabbing but I have to admit he's a lyrical genius.

There's just not a lot of rappers out there that are also fantastic musicians or entertainers at the same time but then again, not everyone can be a legend ;)

Guest Tonyc402

i don't like how American rap always has bad lyrics...it's all about sex, gangs, money, "i'm such a pimp" and all that

Asian rap tends to be on the safer side in that realm, which I like...i can actually listen to it without being smacked in the face with a ton of profanity and whatnot

Edit://

^ EXACTLY!

Sorry , but if you just watch those mtv-esque rap videos and label that as American hiphop and you cant find any mainstream American hiphop that has meaningful lyrics then you dont know real hiphop and obviously you aint lookin hard enough. All the mainstream asian hiphop sound so manufactured and its literally always about love and rarely talking about issues of society and such. They are both good , but American hiphop is more real.

Guest ketchup?

Sorry , but if you just watch those mtv-esque rap videos and label that as American hiphop and you cant find any mainstream American hiphop that has meaningful lyrics then you dont know real hiphop and obviously you aint lookin hard enough. All the mainstream asian hiphop sound so manufactured and its literally always about love and rarely talking about issues of society and such. They are both good , but American hiphop is more real.

It further proves American rap has gone down the drain if you have to search hard to find a good song with meaning. You're right, Asian rap is centered around love but the issues of Asian societies are different than the issues of American societies.

T.I.'s No Matter What is a good song btw.

Just felt like throwing that in there =)

Guest angelixer

^ Lol, so what is this discussion REALLY about? The crappy mainstream 'rap' or rap with actual substance? Because this will only lead to comparing one country's mainstream to the other country's underground plus the other way around and what not. Not a good (and fair) look at all.

It's no use going on about that sex drugs and money crap. If we're talking mainstream, I could go on for days about the cheesy, corny nursery rhymes that is korean mainstream too.

Let's compare american 'mainstream' and korean 'mainstream', or american 'underground' and korean 'underground' from now on.

Archived