[drama 2007] Dal Ja's Spring [달자의 봄]

Guest ovette

Guest dramaok

Hi dramaok, umm... would you be providing screencaps for dal ja's spring? i got through PIH because of your screencaps. sorry to ask.. :blush:

hi classychic. i think there are a lotta translators helping in this thread already (thanks to those w/ are providing translation. n5y17cgirl (btw you're from the bizzare bunch thread right? hihi).. and cafeaulait, and ai* and purppletiger (hey we're having a staff party at white tower you shoudl go there. ^^ and whoever i missed. sorry.), and since i'm not watching this episode by episode, skipping and fastforwarding a lot in between, i will not be doing screen caps w/ translation.

TB has repeated over and over that he does not want to return to his former life. He mentioned the "death" thing, yes, but there are other reasons behind it, too, in my opinion. He felt trapped and babied by his family. He said he's been depending on them all his life, and he wants to find his own independence and his own life now. I suspect that the whole being a lawyer thing was part of that family package as well.

whether or not TB's dream or passion in life is law, he really needs to face the 'death' thing at one point or another. until then i think it will be hard for him to continue w/ anything careerwise for longterm.

i am hoping to see dalja and taebong fall in love and be blissful in their courtship. but i think it would be too idealistic to have them end up together w/ him being in between a law career and lunchbox entrepreneur. yes.. it would be sad to see dalja choosing a materialistic route.. however.. she is a 33 year old woman living in korea. she is not a 23 year old living in america. i dont' know what i'm trying to say exactly, but i think i would like to see the drama end w/ dalja having loved. but leave it at that. love and marriage are 2 different things. i really hate it when kdramas pretend like that's the same thing. it doesn't work that way.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest wls2948

IJust rewatched episode 7 to 10 and I notice this thing: The way Tae Bong looks at Dal Ja every time he sees her at the first moment/ did anyone notice it? the way he stares so INTENSELY into her face...the stares seems to speaks volumes..... and also the way he smiles when he sees her...like he is so happy to see her...

I don't really see any evidence of this. Who says that being a lawyer was his life passion? He's never really shown any passion for it. That little speech to those goons in Seon-joo's apartment? He was just stating the facts, and giving Seon-joo a hand. I didn't see "passion" there.

TB has repeated over and over that he does not want to return to his former life. He mentioned the "death" thing, yes, but there are other reasons behind it, too, in my opinion. He felt trapped and babied by his family. He said he's been depending on them all his life, and he wants to find his own independence and his own life now. I suspect that the whole being a lawyer thing was part of that family package as well.

I don't think the lunchbox idea is anything new, either. He told DJ's mom that a while ago, someone made him a lunchbox that made him very, very happy. And from that point on, he wanted to give that happiness to other people as well. I don't think it has anything to do with DJ. Yes, he went to work for DJ's mom, but I don't think he was lying when he told her that he wanted to learn how to make food that was overflowing with love. And he thought he could learn that properly from a woman who had raised a warm-hearted daughter like DJ. Plus, there's the bonus of looking good for the future mother-in-law. :D

But I really don't see any evidence that this dream of his stems from his love for DJ. She's actually helping him to realize something he had dreamt of long before he met her. And I think that's a lot sweeter than helping him to become a lawyer ever would be.

This smacks much too much of materialism and shallowness for my liking. If the moral behind the drama is that a guy should become a lawyer so the woman he loves can accept him without needing to worry about her financial security, then, well, I would become very, very disappointed in this drama. It would be following one of the biggest K-drama cliches, and supporting the idea that Korea should go on being a society that produces money-loving women who choose men based on status and wealth. How would that be any different from Dal-ja choosing UKJ? Yes, I realize that she loves TB, not KJ, but all entertainment (if it's good) has a central theme and idea to it. What would that theme become if TB became a lawyer again, just because DJ is selfish enough to want him to?

I certainly hope not! It's pretty dangerous (and foolish, in my opinion) to place your entire life in the hands of one woman. Even the most loving of couples have their own lives and interests separate from each other. It's a nice and romantic thought to think that TB's entire identity is based in his love for DJ, but it's a highly unrealistic one. I very much hope that the writer won't disappoint me by going down that path, especially after working so hard to provide some measure of reality in the earlier episodes.

And that's my two cents.

Wow, that is quite a passionate reaction to what I wrote.

I think you'd agree that his present passion is running a best lunch-box restaurant. I also think you'd agree that given his passion for Dal Ja and for Dal Ja’s friend when he was helping her, he would not have succumbed to his parents' wish to become lawyer if that wasn't what he wanted to do. So, based on what we already know of him, I have deduced that being a lawyer was his passion. Besides, I've never said that "[TB] was lying when he told [DJ's mother] that he wanted to learn how to make food that was overflowing with love." I believe in love.

I’ve also never said that “this dream of his stems from his love for DJ.” I agree that Dal Ja is actually helping him to realize something he had dreamt of long before he met her.” That is what I’m talking about.

When I wrote this: "Besides, once he goes back to being a lawyer, then Dal Ja should have one less reason not to listen to her heart because she really loves TB. She just doesn't realize it on a full-conscious level yet," in the first part I was being facetious. The important point here is not that Dal Ja at this juncture in her life is still somewhat immature, but that it is TB who is going to help her get there through his love. I think you're being too harsh to call this "materialistic" and "shallow."

Regarding my statement: "I think TB's "own dreams and his own definitions of happiness" is Dal Ja," what is wrong with being happy about loving someone? This doesn't mean you can't be your own person. This doesn't mean "[placing] your entire life in the hands of one woman." On the contrary, being in love means allowing the other person to be all that he or she can be. It appears that we both have same idea of what love should be, but I think you have misinterpreted my meaning.

Guest cafeaulait

during his low moments, his one year hiatus is a time of self-reflection. he must have thought about his family, upbringing, his choices etc.

it could be during such a period when the good-feel lunchbox came into play, a turning point

so i think his intention of finding the source of warmth is correct, landing him in Dal-Ja's mum's shop

but i hardly think it'll stop at a lunchbox restaurant

i think he'll come to realize that his skills/talents can equally be used in practising law to bring happiness & warmth to others around him

and this time he'll want to do it because he wants it for himself, not imposed on him by anyone else

You're right. TB doesn't have to go back to the life of a corporate hack helping rich corporations buy out smaller companies (which I gather is what M&A lawyers do). If that made him unhappy, he can be a different type of lawyer, maybe one that doesn't make the big bucks or have the social recognition but makes a difference in ordinary people's lives. Throughout this drama, TB has shown more talent for being a lawyer than for running a restaurant. He's always thinking and solving problems, he always gets the last word in anyone, and he seems to like bringing up the law at least once per episode (and sometimes very slyly - remember when DJ asked TB to convince her not to commit adultery with GJ, and TB showed her an article about a court making an adulterous woman pay alimony to the ex-wife). On the other hand, we've never even seen him cook until ep. 10 when he made breakfast for DJ. Previously, when DJ, SD, and TB went to cook for a sick SJ, DJ did the cooking, not TB. So far at DJ's mom's restaurant, TB is better at serving the clients than necessarily making any food. We guessed TB was a lawyer long before it was revealed, but we never had any clue he wanted to make lunchboxes until he said so. I don't think this is inadvertent character development on the part of the writers...

Guest wls2948

Remember Dal Ja kneeled and begged not to be sacked from the company? She later told Seon Joo that she did it for her mom. Although for her personally, she could keep her pride and just walk away, but for her mom's sake, she would sacrifice her pride.... in the same way, if Tae Bong loves Dal Ja enough, he would want to make a success of whatever he does in his career knowing that Dal Ja prefers a man who is financially stable and has a stable career. Isn't that what love is about also? Sacrifice is love and it seems to me that whether Tae Bong will earns Dal Ja's trust will depend also on what HE does with his life...Someone already mentioned Dal ja is not 23 years old, she is a 33 years old spinster in Korea and given the choices that she has, she might choose to follow her head and go for someone like Ki Jong. This does not mean that Dal Ja is materialistic. In reality, a person like Tae Bong would not be good husband material...let's face it....he was working as a date for single women to keep his body and soul together, he was money grabbing (remember the way he keeps asking for more money for everything that Dal Ja asks hims to do?), presently got no stable career, house or even a car...living on Dal Ja's generosity...no matter how much Dal Ja loves Tae Bong, this is an issue that cannot be ignored...

Guest javabeans

Remember Dal Ja kneeled and begged not to be sacked from the company? She later told Seon Joo that she did it for her mom. Although for her personally, she could keep her pride and just walk away, but for her mom's sake, she would sacrifice her pride.... in the same way, if Tae Bong loves Dal Ja enough, he would want to make a success of whatever he does in his career knowing that Dal Ja prefers a man who is financially stable and has a stable career. Isn't that what love is about also? Sacrifice is love and it seems to me that whether Tae Bong will earns Dal Ja's trust will depend also on what HE does with his life...Someone already mentioned Dal ja is not 23 years old, she is a 33 years old spinster in Korea and given the choices that she has, she might choose to follow her head and go for someone like Ki Jong. This does not mean that Dal Ja is materialistic. In reality, a person like Tae Bong would not be good husband material...let's face it....he was working as a date for single women to keep his body and soul together, he was money grabbing (remember the way he keeps asking for more money for everything that Dal Ja asks hims to do?), presently got no stable career, house or even a car...living on Dal Ja's generosity...no matter how much Dal Ja loves Tae Bong, this is an issue that cannot be ignored...

Whoa, whoa, I have a real problem with this point of view. Not with the poster, of course!, but I just really cannot agree that Tae Bong would "want to make a success of whatever he does in his career knowing that Dal Ja prefers a man who is financially stable and has a stable career." Eeek! I think that is the more traditional perspective which DJS is doing a very good job so far of subverting, and challenging. This series really isn't the kind that seems to hinge upon self-sacrifice and martyrdom. What I've liked about it, rather, is its emphasis on self-actualization, and self-respect. I firmly believe there's a way for Tae Bong and Dal Ja to love each other without him needing to "provide for" her.

After all, Dal Ja is doing rather well herself. Many of the voiceovers and monologues point to Dal Ja's pride and respect in what she's been able to make of her career. Her home may be just a rental, but it's a nice apartment of a nice size. She enjoys her work and is good at it. And although she hasn't been able to successfully find love yet, as she tells TB in episode 2 (or around there), she has no regrets.

There seems to also be a rather energetic debate about whether Tae Bong will/should/needs to return to his previous career as a lawyer... Frankly I'm inclined to agree with Dahee Fanel because I don't necessarily think Tae Bong's life calling was to be a lawyer (he could have just happened to be very good at something he didn't enjoy). But whatever the end result, I sincerely hope it isn't because "they complete each other" or that they need each other in a life-and-death sort of way. That solution smacks of contrivance and is a bit too cheesy for this drama, in my opinion, because what DJS has done so well is taking these very well-known dilemmas (30-year-old spinster, May-December romance, etc) and treat them in a fresh way. Not everything is always melodramatic, and one can be a whole person while still being single. So, I think the ending -- whatever that may be -- has got to come about by both people realizing they're happy and self-sufficient on their own... but they choose to be together because they love each other.

In Dal Ja's universe, I don't think they've set up romantic love as the ultimate endgame. Of course it's one of the goals, but the actual thematic elements really do revolve more around Dal Ja herself, learning to be comfortable and proud in her own self. The realization of her romantic wishes is one aspect of her journey, but I don't think it's the destination.

Guest babymarzy07

I don't think the lunchbox idea is anything new, either. He told DJ's mom that a while ago, someone made him a lunchbox that made him very, very happy. And from that point on, he wanted to give that happiness to other people as well. I don't think it has anything to do with DJ. Yes, he went to work for DJ's mom, but I don't think he was lying when he told her that he wanted to learn how to make food that was overflowing with love. And he thought he could learn that properly from a woman who had raised a warm-hearted daughter like DJ. Plus, there's the bonus of looking good for the future mother-in-law. :D

But I really don't see any evidence that this dream of his stems from his love for DJ. She's actually helping him to realize something he had dreamt of long before he met her. And I think that's a lot sweeter than helping him to become a lawyer ever would be.

This smacks much too much of materialism and shallowness for my liking. If the moral behind the drama is that a guy should become a lawyer so the woman he loves can accept him without needing to worry about her financial security, then, well, I would become very, very disappointed in this drama. It would be following one of the biggest K-drama cliches, and supporting the idea that Korea should go on being a society that produces money-loving women who choose men based on status and wealth. How would that be any different from Dal-ja choosing UKJ? Yes, I realize that she loves TB, not KJ, but all entertainment (if it's good) has a central theme and idea to it. What would that theme become if TB became a lawyer again, just because DJ is selfish enough to want him to? I certainly hope not! It's pretty dangerous (and foolish, in my opinion) to place your entire life in the hands of one woman. Even the most loving of couples have their own lives and interests separate from each other. It's a nice and romantic thought to think that TB's entire identity is based in his love for DJ, but it's a highly unrealistic one. I very much hope that the writer won't disappoint me by going down that path, especially after working so hard to provide some measure of reality in the earlier episodes.

u know how young people go thru a rebellious phase of finding themselves, stemming their own identity?

i think Tae-Bong is working out who he is in the past year esp after the incident at the law firm.

he may not be opposed to being a lawyer per se but he just woke up to the fact hat everything in his life has been planned according to his parents' wishes

and coupled with the incident at the law firm, he took a hiatus to find himself and decide what he wants for himself henceforth

during his low moments, his one year hiatus is a time of self-reflection. he must have thought about his family, upbringing, his choices etc.

it could be during such a period when the good-feel lunchbox came into play, a turning point

so i think his intention of finding the source of warmth is correct, landing him in Dal-Ja's mum's shop

but i hardly think it'll stop at a lunchbox restaurant

i think he'll come to realize that his skills/talents can equally be used in practising law to bring happiness & warmth to others around him

and this time he'll want to do it because he wants it for himself, not imposed on him by anyone else

whether or not TB's dream or passion in life is law, he really needs to face the 'death' thing at one point or another. until then i think it will be hard for him to continue w/ anything careerwise for longterm.

however.. she is a 33 year old woman living in korea. she is not a 23 year old living in america. i dont' know what i'm trying to say exactly, but i think i would like to see the drama end w/ dalja having loved. but leave it at that. love and marriage are 2 different things. i really hate it when kdramas pretend like that's the same thing. it doesn't work that way.

I just really cannot agree that Tae Bong would "want to make a success of whatever he does in his career knowing that Dal Ja prefers a man who is financially stable and has a stable career." Eeek! I think that is the more traditional perspective which DJS is doing a very good job so far of subverting, and challenging. This series really isn't the kind that seems to hinge upon self-sacrifice and martyrdom. What I've liked about it, rather, is its emphasis on self-actualization, and self-respect. I firmly believe there's a way for Tae Bong and Dal Ja to love each other without him needing to "provide for" her. There seems to also be a rather energetic debate about whether Tae Bong will/should/needs to return to his previous career as a lawyer... Frankly I'm inclined to agree with Dahee Fanel because I don't necessarily think Tae Bong's life calling was to be a lawyer (he could have just happened to be very good at something he didn't enjoy). But whatever the end result, I sincerely hope it isn't because "they complete each other" or that they need each other in a life-and-death sort of way. That solution smacks of contrivance and is a bit too cheesy for this drama, in my opinion, because what DJS has done so well is taking these very well-known dilemmas (30-year-old spinster, May-December romance, etc) and treat them in a fresh way. Not everything is always melodramatic, and one can be a whole person while still being single. So, I think the ending -- whatever that may be -- has got to come about by both people realizing they're happy and self-sufficient on their own... but they choose to be together because they love each other.

In Dal Ja's universe, I don't think they've set up romantic love as the ultimate endgame. Of course it's one of the goals, but the actual thematic elements really do revolve more around Dal Ja herself, learning to be comfortable and proud in her own self. The realization of her romantic wishes is one aspect of her journey, but I don't think it's the destination.

All of these analysis of TB and his passion in life, where he is headed and what he should do to gain DJ's love all have their own merits. I don't wanna sound fickle or what but on some level they are all valid. It would seemingly materialistic if TB were too return to his being a lawyer. However if TB find his true passion there after his confrontation with that "death" incident before then go for it. Or perhaps change the kind of lawyer that he is that can better suit his goals and feelings so that he wont feel that kind of regret over is. But i dont think he should do that just to please DJ that would ruin the whole drama because isnt that what they were trying to say in the first place it would all just be hypocritical i think. It maybe being a lawyer or choosing a different path altogether, TB has this time to explore himself and realize this for himself what makes his heart beat. Confronting his fears and also aside from DJ know where he really wants to be not because he is forced to be. Being complete on his/her own is better i think is one thing to think about, not the entirely depending someone because it defeats the lessons they are trying to show. I agree with javabeans, in saying romantic wishes is the a good aspect of the journey but should not be the destination. I think not only for DJ, but all the other characters as well to find that sense of self through out the whole process. Even despite the dictates of society, DJ can work her way through it and find her love too which she has been wanting in her life.

Guest Dahee Fanel

^javabeans, thank you. :) You wrote what I was thinking far better than I could ever have voiced it. *bows*

u know how young people go thru a rebellious phase of finding themselves, stemming their own identity?

TB's 27 years old. He's hardly a child. I don't think the term "rebellious phase" is exactly right. I do agree about the finding identity part, though.

Yeah, you're right. But I think the lunchbox idea is a way of getting over it, too. And keep in mind that we really don't know what exactly happened with the "death" thing yet...We could very well be blowing it all out of proportion. :ph34r:

Wow, that is quite a passionate reaction to what I wrote.

Did I sound overly-passionate? Sorry if I did. :sweatingbullets: I just tend to get really into debates. It's nothing personal. I was just excited about stating my point of view, that's all. In fact, my post was actually pretty general, replying to the thoughts of many other people in this thread. And since the discussion of it seemed to stem from your post, and since it was sort of awkward to quote many posts that were stating pretty much the same thing, I just quoted from yours. I hope I didn't offend.

I also think you'd agree that given his passion for Dal Ja and for Dal Ja’s friend when he was helping her, he would not have succumbed to his parents' wish to become lawyer if that wasn't what he wanted to do. So, based on what we already know of him, I have deduced that being a lawyer was his passion.

Okay, I'll back down a little on this. I think it's very possible that he enjoyed being a lawyer. My point is, I'm not entirely sure it's his "life passion". He may have been good at it, and he may have liked it, but that doesn't mean he has to go back to practising law. People here seem to think that he has some kind of obligation to practice law just because he has the ability and the talent, but that's no reason to do it. And so far, I really see no "passion" in him for the law, whereas I see a passion for lunchboxes. So why go back? It all leads back to financial security (for DJ's sake) and societal obligation, doesn't it? But like javabeans so eloquently said, this drama is more about self-actualization and self-worth, not that of society as a whole.

I guess the main reason I'm against his returning to law is because of the ideology behind it. I have nothing against lawyers. I just don't like the implications that come with his going back to practising law.

Besides, I've never said that "[TB] was lying when he told [DJ's mother] that he wanted to learn how to make food that was overflowing with love." I believe in love.

I never meant that you said that he lied at that moment. (Does that make sense??) I was just trying to clarify my point. I wasn't actually citing anyone there. Sorry if I was unclear.

I’ve also never said that “this dream of his stems from his love for DJ.”

Sorry, I think I was actually replying to someone else's post there. See what I wrote above.

The important point here is not that Dal Ja at this juncture in her life is still somewhat immature, but that it is TB who is going to help her get there through his love. I think you're being too harsh to call this "materialistic" and "shallow."

I have nothing against TB helping DJ to get through her immaturity, etc. In fact, I agree that he's helping her. But from what I gathered in your post, you implied that TB had to become a lawyer to help DJ realize her love. And with that I have to disagree. I'm sorry if that wasn't what you meant, but that is how I interpreted what you wrote.

Regarding my statement: "I think TB's "own dreams and his own definitions of happiness" is Dal Ja," what is wrong with being happy about loving someone? This doesn't mean you can't be your own person. This doesn't mean "[placing] your entire life in the hands of one woman." On the contrary, being in love means allowing the other person to be all that he or she can be. It appears that we both have same idea of what love should be, but I think you have misinterpreted my meaning.

For me, the phrase "own dreams and own definitions of happiness" is all about self-worth and self-actualization. Love can be a part of it, yes, but I read your post as saying that DJ is TB's dreams and happiness. Only DJ. Nothing else.

I guess I misinterpreted, like you said. :)

Throughout this drama, TB has shown more talent for being a lawyer than for running a restaurant.

"Talent" has nothing to do with "passion".

Someone already mentioned Dal ja is not 23 years old, she is a 33 years old spinster in Korea and given the choices that she has, she might choose to follow her head and go for someone like Ki Jong. This does not mean that Dal Ja is materialistic.

No, I suppose not. I guess my wording was too harsh. She may not be materialistic, but I do think that she is lacking too much confidence in her own abilities. She's quite comfortable as she is right now, with her current (or, er, was current) job. Why does she need a man to depend on for financial stability? Why does she need to listen to what society is (wrongfully, for the most part) telling her?

This drama is all about a person's own individual success, and part of that is a woman's individual success, without a man to lean on as some sort of crutch.

Whoo! *wipes forehead* That was a lot of typing... :sweatingbullets:

I think TB's "own dreams and his own definitions of happiness" is Dal Ja.

Or rather what Dal Ja embodies? And not just literally, Dal Ja. As dramaok has mentioned, Dal Ja seems to have clues about life...that by the end of the day she is able to see the situation that had been of conflict to her in a different light, and come out better because of it.

One of the questions Tae Bong's father asks him was "Are you gonna be a failure?" Given his father's previous scene appearances, I'm led to believe that Tae Bong never allowed himself much of a chance to be a "failure" in the 26-27 years he had been under his father's roof (or rather his grandpa's roof).

Father is reserved, with very little expression of affection towards son and wife, however, the display of concern/weakness is there when no one is supposedly around (father looking upon the exchange b/w son and grandpa from a window above, turning on the headlights/windowshield wipers after seeing Dal Ja's mom, taking out the picture of a younger Dal Ja's mom). Could what Tae Bong's father be today, stem from the break-up b/w him and Dal Ja's mom?

Mother's number one concern seems to be her husband. Though, recently, she's been looking into Tae Bong's welfare, I think it has more to do with Tae Bong's father and hoping to return "stability" to the household. She has never made a meal for her son. Could the bento shop owner be Yun-hee's father? The bento that changed Tae Bong's life...he might have saw the bento shop owner's family as his "surrogate"/"2nd" family as Yun Hee and Tae Bong are quite familiar with each other. The atmosphere within his own family is distant and cordial.

My question: What did Tae Bong wish to gain by following his parent's wishes/not be a "failure"?

Guest cafeaulait

People here seem to think that he has some kind of obligation to practice law just because he has the ability and the talent, but that's no reason to do it. And so far, I really see no "passion" in him for the law, whereas I see a passion for lunchboxes. So why go back? It all leads back to financial security (for DJ's sake) and societal obligation, doesn't it? But like javabeans so eloquently said, this drama is more about self-actualization and self-worth, not that of society as a whole.

I guess the main reason I'm against his returning to law is because of the ideology behind it. I have nothing against lawyers. I just don't like the implications that come with his going back to practising law.

I'm not really on either side of this debate - I just want TB to find happiness on his own terms, whether that entails returning to legal work or not - but what I think would be interesting to see in this drama is DJ helping TB figure stuff out, instead of just the other way around. I like the idea of TB not being perfect and not knowing everything. The writers have foreshadowed some of the cracks in TB's self-sufficient image (TB still hasn't gotten over whatever regret he feels about the Heeyun incident, has pretty awful relationships with his family), and it wouldn't be peer pressure for TB to learn from DJ on his way to self-discovery. DJ is continuously learning from her colleagues, her mother, and TB, too.

As for talent and passion not being synonymous, I think what some people might be getting at is that people who are good at something usually have a passion for it, and they work hard and become good at it because they have that passion. Also, denying your talents is in a way denying who you are. At this point, it's not clear which way TB should go, but the "be yourself" message of this drama could be served with either outcome, just as long as it's not done purely for TB to be a more acceptable partner for DJ, etc.

My question: What did Tae Bong wish to gain by following his parent's wishes/not be a "failure"?

This is a really good question, since one of the reasons TB doesn't want to return to law is because he failed (TB tells his father he can't do law because he caused someone to die, not because he hates law, period). It was possibly the first failure of his life. TB's new dream is to run the best lunchbox restaurant, but I can't help wondering, why does he have to be the best? Could TB still be trapped in the fear of failure instilled by his parents?

Guest wls2948

I just really cannot agree that Tae Bong would "want to make a success of whatever he does in his career knowing that Dal Ja prefers a man who is financially stable and has a stable career." Eeek! I think that is the more traditional perspective which DJS is doing a very good job so far of subverting, and challenging. This series really isn't the kind that seems to hinge upon self-sacrifice and martyrdom. What I've liked about it, rather, is its emphasis on self-actualization, and self-respect. I firmly believe there's a way for Tae Bong and Dal Ja to love each other without him needing to "provide for" her.

What I actually had in mind to say was not so much traditional way of the man providing for the woman and things like that...even if Dal Ja is financially able person, wouldn't she want to have a man who is worthy of her respect? If the man is not able to take care of himself, much less his partner, wouldn't that be a problem eventually? Whether Tae Bong goes back to being a lawyer or ends up a lunch box restauranteur is not the issue at all.....

Guest javabeans

What I actually had in mind to say was not so much traditional way of the man providing for the woman and things like that...even if Dal Ja is financially able person, wouldn't she want to have a man who is worthy of her respect? If the man is not able to take care of himself, much less his partner, wouldn't that be a problem eventually? Whether Tae Bong goes back to being a lawyer or ends up a lunch box restauranteur is not the issue at all.....

Sure, I agree that Dal Ja would want to be with somebody whom she respects. I think the point of divergence in our perspectives is that I don't see the non-lawyer Tae Bong as somebody whom she would not be able to respect. I would argue that Tae Bong has been fairly resourceful, living on his own and not relying on his parents or others to bail him out of trouble. In fact, it's all the more admirable that Tae Bong believes in his position with such conviction. Not only does he live his life in pursuit of his own happiness, he will not allow anyone to diminish himself -- he doesn't accept their arguments that his lifestyle is shameful. So inasmuch as he can hold his head high without regret or shame, I find his character and position respectable.

i see that TaeBong has already earned DalJa's respect even before she knew he was a lawyer.. why would she even take TaeBong's advice with much importance, if she didnt trust his words?

and as for him being a failure as a lawyer.. i think, for all his life, his parents specifically his mom planned everything he was to do with his life. even in studying law and getting in the country's best lawfirm. the 'death' incident might be an eye opener to him. he might have not realized how unhappy he was (since he was winning cases here and there) until he 'killed' someone. and for the connection of the bento box as creidesca stated, i think TaeBong was telling the truth. it might be a dream which someone had inspired him to have. yunhee's dad maybe? and it just so happened that DalJa's mom also run a bento box.. so i think it was for two purposes. to learn the skills of being best bento owner. and get close to DalJa's mom.

i also hope that TaeBong wont force himself to outdo KiJeong in terms of money and work to earn DalJa's affection.. just be the simple and humble guy for her. she'll love him just the same.

i agree with someone who said about the way TaeBong looks at DalJa.. you can really see the warmth and love in TaeBong's eyes. i find it cute that his eyes light up everytime he sees DalJa. in the same way that DalJa smiles just at the mere thought of TaeBong... :) :) :)

thank you sooo much for all your insights.. i REALLY enjoyed reading them :)

Guest dramaok

actually dalja and seon-ju the show host have great chemistry too... :blink:

and i agree taebong does stare at dalja.. but i wonder if it's just lee min-gi's big eyes.

i love the bond of friendship among DalJa, SunJoo and SeDo.. these are the kind of friends you would want to have at work. i still remember where it all started.. at the time DalJa cooked for SunJoo and they became real good friends eversince. during the last episode, where DalJa and SunJoo appeared, they just clicked! :)

Guest babymarzy07

Yeah, you're right. But I think the lunchbox idea is a way of getting over it, too. And keep in mind that we really don't know what exactly happened with the "death" thing yet...We could very well be blowing it all out of proportion. :ph34r:

For me, the phrase "own dreams and own definitions of happiness" is all about self-worth and self-actualization. Love can be a part of it, yes, but I read your post as saying that DJ is TB's dreams and happiness. Only DJ. Nothing else.

"Talent" has nothing to do with "passion".

This drama is all about a person's own individual success, and part of that is a woman's individual success, without a man to lean on as some sort of crutch.

couldnt it be that there are cases that one's talent becomes his passion as pointed out? i think that there are cases that one doesn't realize his passion yet, or yet be passionate about two or more things? :unsure: from cafeaulait's words " I think what some people might be getting at is that people who are good at something usually have a passion for it, and they work hard and become good at it because they have that passion. Also, denying your talents is in a way denying who you are" well its nice to talk and discuss our many thoughts on why things happen as they are, we are surely passionate for this drama heheheh for me im gaining more insight on the possibilities since there can be a lot. i think that is the main message of the drama.

I just want TB to find happiness on his own terms, whether that entails returning to legal work or not - but what I think would be interesting to see in this drama is DJ helping TB figure stuff out, instead of just the other way around. I like the idea of TB not being perfect and not knowing everything. The writers have foreshadowed some of the cracks in TB's self-sufficient image (TB still hasn't gotten over whatever regret he feels about the Heeyun incident, has pretty awful relationships with his family), and it wouldn't be peer pressure for TB to learn from DJ on his way to self-discovery. DJ is continuously learning from her colleagues, her mother, and TB, too.

As for talent and passion not being synonymous, I think what some people might be getting at is that people who are good at something usually have a passion for it, and they work hard and become good at it because they have that passion. Also, denying your talents is in a way denying who you are. At this point, it's not clear which way TB should go, but the "be yourself" message of this drama could be served with either outcome, just as long as it's not done purely for TB to be a more acceptable partner for DJ, etc.

This is a really good question, since one of the reasons TB doesn't want to return to law is because he failed (TB tells his father he can't do law because he caused someone to die, not because he hates law, period). It was possibly the first failure of his life. TB's new dream is to run the best lunchbox restaurant, but I can't help wondering, why does he have to be the best? Could TB still be trapped in the fear of failure instilled by his parents?

I have to agree with cafeaulait's statement, i think TB is scared of failure because of his parents imposistions. It scarrred him that he always want to be the best and if the end result of that any failure causes him much grief. Im thinking TB is also looking for self-worth at this point in time. I think that when all you hear is you have to do this better or not good enough, it feels like you can never fail it can make u have a mentality about how you handle things. If u can't make it the best then its a failure? TB gets an insecurity? Again, going back it's all about self-worth and finding your own happiness in your own terms i think that is the point that the writers are driving at. In all the characters, TB, DJ, SJ, SD.

All the analysis im loving them. Keep em coming :) one more day!

just made me wonder who this is??

변정숙 (42세, 여) 달자의 상사로 새로 부임해오는 팀장.

is she boss Kang?? but the surname is different, this writes boss Byun??

anyone knows??

Guest wls2948

I always like to listen to Dalja's inner thoughts and in epi 10 just when she got into the bus (which Tae Bong chased for her) to go to work, she thought to herself "can i trust him in this relationship?" doesn't it goes to show that Dal Ja still does not trust Tae Bong with her heart and life?

Remember Dal Ja is a 33 years old already she is also "running out of time". She always felt guilty that she has not got a man of her own. When she went to spend the night with her mom, one of the things that she said to her mom was that she was sorry she still has not gotten married at her age. I think in Korea (and generally Asian) culture, a lady who is still unmarried after 30 bears a stigma of "failure"...

Can't wait for tomorrow...after viewing the preview, i really hope it won't be a sad sad story from now on...

i agree.. praying hard that it wont be a REALLY SAD episode tomorrow :)

i didnt know DalJa said the lines 'can i trust him in this relationship' but as i think of those lines.. i think it's herself that she doesnt trust.. since she's afraid to go against the laws of society, she tries hard not to pursue any relationship with TaeBong. but then she makes her own excuses to hide the real reason.

actually dalja and seon-ju the show host have great chemistry too... :blink:

and i agree taebong does stare at dalja.. but i wonder if it's just lee min-gi's big eyes.

i should be replying to all those insights..but funny ehh, I found your comment on Min Ki funny :lol:

Ahh..I just can't write as good as the others out there..but i do agree that Dal Ja an Seon Joo have amazing chemistry :)

Archived