OFFICIAL: ASIANS CELEBS IN HOLLYWOOD!!!!

Guest bubbles20

too lazy to check through all the pages, probably posted but here's another one:

jackie-pose.gif

Oh! And that weird woman from Grey's Anatomy..or was it 24?

(I only call her weird b/c I saw her in Princess Diaries(y?) and she acted funny..lol [she was the principal?] ...yeeeeeeeea)

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mee

hey i totally disagree...well agree with some but come on!! give those asians more credit then that! what about lucy lui! shes hekka famous and doesn't really play any stereotypical roles!! like in charlies angels and in ally mcbeal!!! she's goodlooking!! can't think of any immagrant roles she's played!!

an what about sandra oh on grey's anatomy! she's not typically asian at all! she's plays a doctor! not an immagrant or a half naked demure woman/prostitute!

i mean i don't mean to totally trash what you're saying because yeh, some is true. alot of asian girls are just import models/models and play typical kinda roles and guys are all kung fu kinda stuff but that's still hugely popular in the western world. jackie chan/bruce lee they're like worshipped like gods by some for what they do! and zhang ziyi is becoming really popular! yeh her roles are like kung fu [rush hour2/house of flying daggers/crouching tiger...etc etc] and geisha kinda thing but everybody loves her and thinks she's gorgeous and super talented!

OH and takeshi kaneshiro is hugely popular..he was like in E! top 100 most wanted men or something!

so yeh maybe you won't see an asian playing a role like james bond or something but you gotta understand that its a different audience/industry kinda thing. and that asian people in the western ARE appreciated, just for different things!

white people could just as easily rant on about asian entertainment ya know and like white people are always stereotyped in some asian movies as the like stuck up snob or the bad guy ya know. so its just like two different industries/cultures

AND anyone else noticed the recent boom in western remakes of asian films!!

OH and tiger woods is half malay/singaporian!!!! not thai!!! his mum is from singapore i think!

I still see Asian-American (or Asian) actors as more as the "underdog" on the entertainment industry - since when do people make a big deal about Asian people? You don't hear full-blown out Asians on the radio or the main character of *most* movies (and I know that Memoirs of a Geisha's out there amongst many others but still), and even with all these half-asian celebrities, no one ever really says anything about them even being "part" Asian. You can even see that most of these people on this thread didn't know that half of these stars were half-something.

Sure, it's a growing population within the industry. But I think it'll be years before Asians/Asian-American celebrities can finally be accepted and well-integrated into the American entertainment industry .. for now, we are appreciated, but not appreciated enough - they'll be stuck with either a really good role or a bad role, like everyone else. It just seems like those good and bad roles tend to be more stereotypical than many others.

And if you're saying that Tiger Woods is half-malay/singaporian, please have something to back your statement up and not 'I think' .. I'm not criticizing you, I'm just saying.

Guest pandoras0nymph

mei melancon aka psylocke of xmen3 was born in the philippines but is Of Chinese, Japanese & French descent

mptv1.gif

so as lalaine of lizzie mcguire she's a half filipina

enrique iglesias is half filipino coz his mom is a half filipina

jasmine trias is filipina too!

descent-6.jpg

Natalie Mendoza - Is filipino. She starred in The Descent (2005), The Great Raid (2005), and she was in Beastmaster (1999) the tv-series that aired a while back. Also, she had a little dance and singing performance in the movie Moulin Rouge (2001) as China Doll. She now stars in a British tv-drama called Hotel Babylon (2006) aired only on BBC One.

untitled.jpg

in Hotel Babylon

switchfoot.jpg

Image-BE3838F869F211D9.jpg

Jerome Fontamillas - a member of the band Switchfoot is filipino. He plays the guitar and keyboard.

Cris_Judd-002a.jpgCris_Judd-008a.jpg

Cris Judd (who use to do the dances for j-low and was her 2nd ex husband) is part filipino. His mom is filipino.

Fil_Am_Library_Awards-005a.jpgFil_Am_Library_Awards-021a.jpg

Lou Diamond Phillips (part filipino) with Tia Carrere (filipino) at Fil-Am Library Awards.

Kelly_Hu,Tia_Carrere.jpg

Tia Carrere with Kelly Hu

Lea_Salonga.jpg

Lea Salonga (filipino)

shannynsossamon3.jpg

Shannyn Sossamon - European/Filipino/Hawaiian

c10_jpg.jpgc9_jpg.jpgc3_jpg.jpg

Michael Copon - Half German/ Half Filipino

He is in a movie called All You've Got (2006). The latino girl from 3LW is in that movie with him. Famous for being Felix from One Tree Hill

seriesmagcard.jpg

mark dacascos

born in hawaii

father is malay, spanish, and chinese ancestry

mother is irish and japanese ancestry

guy is hot!!!

he is part filipino. if you think about it he's irish, japanese, and filipino. if you wanna break down the filipino side.. he would also be mix of spanish, chinese, and malay. but i don't think that matters unless you look at it the long way.

Guest BABO-BEBii

what about DUSTIN NGUYEN ?

iunno if you guys remember him ?

He's a vietnamese actor

He was in 21 Jumpstreet (with Johnny Depp)

and V.I.P (with Pamela Anderson)

He acted in Magnum P.I. and also

Little Fish

46335031_67f735408b_o.jpgPIC10.JPG

news_dustinnguyen.jpgdustin_nguyen_1.jpg

I still see Asian-American (or Asian) actors as more as the "underdog" on the entertainment industry - since when do people make a big deal about Asian people? You don't hear full-blown out Asians on the radio or the main character of *most* movies (and I know that Memoirs of a Geisha's out there amongst many others but still), and even with all these half-asian celebrities, no one ever really says anything about them even being "part" Asian. You can even see that most of these people on this thread didn't know that half of these stars were half-something.

Sure, it's a growing population within the industry. But I think it'll be years before Asians/Asian-American celebrities can finally be accepted and well-integrated into the American entertainment industry .. for now, we are appreciated, but not appreciated enough - they'll be stuck with either a really good role or a bad role, like everyone else. It just seems like those good and bad roles tend to be more stereotypical than many others.

And if you're saying that Tiger Woods is half-malay/singaporian, please have something to back your statement up and not 'I think' .. I'm not criticizing you, I'm just saying.

That may be true, but what about westerners appearing in films in Asia??

They stereotype as well! And u don't see many foreigners in those films do you??

That may be true, but what about westerners appearing in films in Asia??

They stereotype as well! And u don't see many foreigners in those films do you??

Guest yum yum dimsum

hey dont forget

Keiko Agena of Gilmore Girls

Bobby Lee of MadTV

Maggie Cheung of Clean - Cannes Winner - Best Actress

Archie Kao of Power Rangers/CSI

Nicole Bilderback of Clueless (as Summer) and Bring it On (as Whitney)

The Harajuku Girls

Love Angel Baby Music

stefani_3.jpg

Dante Basco. The Asian kid from the movie Hook, main character in The Debut, and is gonna be in that new movie "Taking the Lead" with Antonio Banderas. He's FULL Filipino.

rundownpre.jpg

Joy Bisco. FULL Filipino. In the movies The Debut, was on Port Charles, Not Another Teen Movie, Bold and Beautiful, and Ghost World.]

Wasn't this guy also from Peter Pan as "Rufio"? something like that....

Guest FAMie

Dustin Nguyen.... the bad guy from 3 Ninjas.. Strike back? But I

remember him vaguely in VIP... tehhheeeee

ERNIE REYES JR!! I love himmmmmmmmm

hmmm.. I forgot what I was going to say.. because there are too many pages.. I can't remember my thoughts..

OOhh ARCHIE Kao.. Love him in CSI.. even when he isn't really there a lot..I still love him.. He is soo cuteee!!

Brenda Song is awesomeeeeeee

hmmm... how about Shin Koyamada (the Last Samurai) He hasn't been doing much lately but I thought he would be considered an Asian Celeb in Hollywood

13418220447.gif

I guess this is it....

Guest dempurah

this thread is sooo interesting! i had no idea that some of these people were mixed.. and i seriously thought that brenda song was korean until now.. yeesh im embarassed.

Guest MaryMagdalin

Despite the pics u guys posted, honestly asian in hollywood is like zip and it will continue to be like that. Most of the people aren't well known or even if they were mix asian, it's not a known thing to ppl anyway so its like zero difference. There just isn't enough asians over here for an audience compared to other groups. And everytime they put an asian on, it's like the western pick of it and they choose the ppl they think is the most "asian" if you know what i mean. Like their perspectives are always the same, it shows in every film an asian is in. They never cast any good looking ppl b/c they don't really care to appreciate the better asian beauty.

Everything has to have a market plus the masses aren't that enlightened to be open minded about things anyway so they wouldn't want to see anyother race on TV besides their own, unless it was some kind of overhyped gutter thing they think will spark interest.

That movie Memoirs of a Geisha, goodness its b/c it had provocative elements in it that Hollywood wanted to make it into a movie in the first place. Even tho it is for entertainment, ppl should know movies affect perspective of the avg audience who doesn't distinguish reality from entertainment, thus deepening asian stereotypes of demure women and prostitutes. You guys wonder why asians can't make many breakthrus or even be looked like a normal person is b/c westerners choose to put us in same image over n over n it affects whether ppl are even interested in seeing asians in anything other than immigrant roles.

Maybe one day one of you guys can change that, who knows but for now, its ridiculous to hype up asian celebrities in hollywood b/c there is none, none significant at all. Be real about it.

aren`t you a party pooper.

MAGGIE Q was awsome in mission impossible 3!!!

beautifulllll

Guest MissMonika

Wasn't this guy also from Peter Pan as "Rufio"? something like that....

Yes! I loved him as Rufio in "Peter Pan." He was my favorite character.

Don't forget Shannon Sossaman, if you haven't mentioned her already. She's part pinay.

!!

Does anyone remember ERNiE REYES?? the grandmaster taekwondo guy! he starred as donatello in the ninja turtles movies that came out .. dunno if any of you guys remember those. and in some other movie too. ah, way before my time i suppose xD.

rundownpre2.jpg

dunno what he is .. but he's asian!

erniereyesjr1.jpg

and his son, Ernie Reyes Jr.! he was in the real-life ninja turtles movies .. and most recently in The Rundown with the Rock and Sean Williams Scott in 2oo3.

ernie reyes jr iz a full blooded flip. he'z ulso in ta old movie 'the barbarian'

hey ur missing BILLY CRAWFORD! (musician/actor)

i dont know if he's counted but he's BIG in europe!

He's filipino.

Fact: He previously dated Mandy Moore for about 3 months when he was 15 and she was 14.

02.jpg

billy wuz ulso in a starrin role in Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist (2005)

truly am so proud uv tis man!

Billy-Crawford-in-EXORCIST-.jpg

billy_crawford3.jpg

billy_crawford6.jpg

gabriel_mann2.jpg

photo credits: balita, movies1.yimg

Archived