[Drama 2022] The Queen's Umbrella/Umbrella, 슈룹

larus

Kim Hye Soo, Kim Hae Sook, And More Share Their Unique Education Strategies In Intriguing Posters For “The Queen’s Umbrella”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Sep 26, 2022
by S. Cho

“The Queen’s Umbrella” has shared new posters highlighting important character relationships!

tvN’s upcoming historical drama “The Queen’s Umbrella” centers on the special palace education system of the Joseon Dynasty. The drama will follow the conflict within the palace over trying to make proper princes out of its five troublemaking princes, who cause nothing but headaches for the royal family. Kim Hye Soo will star in the drama as queen Im Hwa Ryung, the wife of a great king and the long-suffering mother of five troublemaking sons.

However, the queen is not the only important and competitive maternal figure in the palace. There is also Im Hwa Ryung’s mother-in-law Queen Dowager (Kim Hae Sook), as well as concubines Tae So Yong (Kim Ga Eun) and Hwang Gwi In (Ok Ja Yeon).

The new poster sets capture each of these four mothers and their unique methods to make sure their kids reach the highest point of success. Created like a book that looks to have incredibly useful information, each poster reveals the mother’s education secrets and strategies.

Extremely unlike all the other mother’s know-hows, Im Hwa Ryung intriguingly promotes the use of an herbal medicine as her secret method. On top of that, the piles of books and the collection of medicine are not for her sons, but for her instead. The image of the queen taking her medicine while diligently focusing on her studies looks refreshing, but raises many questions.

As Im Hwa Ryung attempts to restore her energy with the best herbal medicine and acquire more wisdom by diving into books, viewers can look forward to seeing how the queen will use this method to gain new solutions while fighting off various obstacles within the palace. Stay tuned to find out whether the queen’s hard work will lead to an awakening in her lazy and uncooperative sons!

Kim-Hye-Soo-1.jpeg

Spoiler

Kim-Hye-Soo-2.jpeg

In Kim Hae Sook’s poster, she poses dutifully as Queen Dowager, along with her son king Lee Ho (Choi Won Young). The almighty Queen Dowager is the role model of both Hwang Gwi In and Tae So Yong and her extraordinary secret method is “an introduction to disciplines of kingship.” Surpassing both knowledge and sincerity, Queen Dowager skips right to teaching her son the A to Z’s of leadership and becoming the king.

As a living legend who was able to make her son, who was born to a concubine, into a noble prince, the experienced Queen Dowager is already one step ahead of everyone else.

Kim-Hae-Sook-Choi-Won-Young-1.jpeg

Spoiler

Kim-Hae-Sook-Choi-Won-Young-2.jpeg

The secret of Hwang Gwi In is ‘baekbitang,’ a medicinal water with incredibly rare ingredients that has been boiled 100 times. She looks coercive and controlling as she pours her dear son prince Eui Sung (SF9’s Chani) a cup of baekbitang. Eui Sung accepts his mother’s offer while appearing just as competitive and determined as her.

Spoiler

Ok-Ja-Yeon-Chani-1.jpeg

Spoiler

Ok-Ja-Yeon-Chani-2.jpeg

Completly contrasting Hwang Gwi In and prince Eui Sung’s vibe is Tae So Yong and her son prince Bo Gum (Kim Min Ki). While his mother sits comfortably with a proud smile, Bo Gum stands behind her with a book, proving that he does what needs to be done on his own. Their secret strategy is “knowledge law,” which appears to be the method to follow, given how much of a model student Bo Gum is. Every night, prince Bo Gum also practices a breathing technique where he dunks his entire face in salt water and holds his breath for 150 seconds.

Spoiler

Kim-Min-Ki-Kim-Ga-Eun-1.jpeg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1546804wpp/kim-hye-soo-kim-hae-sook-and-more-share-their-unique-education-strategies-in-intriguing-posters-for-the-queens-umbrella

• Like 1

From schoolboys to rebels, Shrub's handsome prince gift set shakes women's hearts

NISI20220926_0001093233_web.jpg?rnd=2022

Gyeseong Dae-gun (Yoo Seon-ho), who boasts of 'ultimate flower beauty', Muan Dae-gun (Yoon Sang-hyun), a 'fluttering nerd' who goes back and forth between Neungcheong and Eunggeom, and Il Young Dae-gun (Park Ha-joon), the youngest of the 'curious geeky prince' (Park Ha-joon).

https://news.koreadaily.com/2022/09/26/sports/broadcast/20220926015703792.html

https://mobile.newsis.com/view.html?ar_id=NISX20220926_0002026400

• Like 1

September 28 2022

Main trailer for tvN drama “The Queen’s Umbrella”

The_Queens_Umbrella-SM1.jpg

Main trailer added for tvN drama series “The Queen’s Umbrella” starring Kim Hye-Soo, Kim Hae-Sook, & Choi Won-Young. The main trailer has narration that starts with Kim Hae-Sook stating “There are no such persons worthy of being the King among the Queen’s sons?,” then Kim Hye-Soo states (0:04) “If I can’t get over this crisis,” and then Kim Hye-Soo states (0:22) “Nobody would protect my babies except me.” Above and below are two posters for the drama series.

“The Queen’s Umbrella” first airs October 15, 2022 in South Korea.

Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki: Queen Hwaryeong (Kim Hye-Soo) is supposed to act with grace and dignity, but she has sons who are troublemaker princes. She gives up on those protocols and she struggles to change her sons into eligible princes through education.

The_Queens_Umbrella-mp1.jpeg

Spoiler

The_Queens_Umbrella-mp2.jpeg

https://blog.asianwiki.com/korean-dramas/main-trailer-for-tvn-drama-the-queens-umbrella

• Like 2

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Watch: Kim Hye Soo Must Fight To Protect Her Sons Against Numerous Threats In Teaser For “The Queen’s Umbrella”

Kim Hye Soo promises to protect her children in a tense new teaser for “The Queen’s Umbrella”!

tvN’s upcoming historical drama “The Queen’s Umbrella” centers on the special palace education system of the Joseon Dynasty. The drama will follow the conflict within the palace over trying to make proper princes out of its five troublemaking princes, who cause nothing but headaches for the royal family. Kim Hye Soo will star in the drama as queen Im Hwa Ryung, the wife of a great king and the long-suffering mother of five troublemaking sons.

The main teaser clip previews the desperate crisis faced by queen Im Hwa Ryung as she tries to set up her sons for success. Her mother-in-law Queen Dowager (Kim Hae Sook) heartlessly remarks, “Out of the queen’s offspring, there is no one suited to sit in that position [as king].” Distraught and in tears, Im Hwa Ryung worries, “If I’m unable to overcome this danger…”

However, the queen’s danger serves as an opportunity for others as concubine Hwang Gwi In (Ok Ja Yeon) finishes Im Hwa Ryung thought by adding, “the prince who becomes the baedong may soon be able to take over the position as crown prince.” (Baedong refers to the important role of a designated friend for the crown prince who serves, studies, and plays with them)

Someone else rudely chimes in, “This is not a plot of treason, but rather the making of history,” hinting at a series of unpredictable events.

In addition to dealing with other people coveting the crown prince’s position, when queen Im Hwa Ryung already has multiple mature sons, she’s also faced with Queen Dowager’s cold comments. She asks Im Hwa Ryung, “How much longer do you think you’ll last with those rotting roots?”

With all these threats coming in against Im Hwa Ryung and her sons, the queen steps up to do anything and everything to block these unpredictable attacks. She firmly states, “Who will believe what they do not see? Who will protect my babies, if not me?” At the end, queen Im Hwa Ryung confidently adds, “Even if a problem arises, I will figure it out.”

Watch the full teaser below and catch the premiere on October 15 at 9:10 p.m. KST!

Watch: Kim Hye Soo Must Fight To Protect Her Sons Against Numerous Threats In Teaser For “The Queen’s Umbrella” | Soompi

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Kim Hye Soo Describes What Differentiates Her Role In “The Queen’s Umbrella,” Working With Kim Hae Sook Again, And More

Kim Hye Soo has introduced her role in “The Queen’s Umbrella”!

tvN’s upcoming historical drama “The Queen’s Umbrella” centers on the special palace education system of the Joseon Dynasty. The drama will follow the conflict within the palace over trying to make proper princes out of its five troublemaking princes, who cause nothing but headaches for the royal family. Kim Hye Soo will star in the drama as queen Im Hwa Ryung, the wife of a great king and the long-suffering mother of five troublemaking sons.

This will be Kim Hye Soo’s first historical project in almost 10 years, after starring in the 2013 film “The Face Reader,” and her first historical drama in two decades, after appearing in the 2002 drama “Jang Hee Bin.” The actress shared, “Although she was not a real-life figure or [a role] typically seen in historical dramas, Hwa Ryung instantly captured my heart. The reason I chose ‘The Queen’s Umbrella’ is clear. I chose the project ‘The Queen’s Umbrella’ because it is a new historical drama, has an interesting story, and because of my character’s strength.”

Kim-Hye-Soo-1-768x512.jpeg

Introducing Im Hwa Ryung, Kim Hye Soo commented, “Hwa Ryung is a woman with the strong power of love and is a character who gladly blocks and gets hit by rain and wind in order to protect those she loves.” She elaborated, “Unlike other queens we’ve seen in typical historical dramas, she is a character who behaves actively and clearly conveys her intentions and emotions. To the point where she’s considered ‘the person with the quickest feet in the palace.'”

Continuing to describe her character, Kim Hye Soo remarked, “Hwa Ryung, who follows rules without being old-fashioned, is more awake than anyone in her generation and is incredibly intuitive yet careful. Also, she’s more bold and moves quicker than anyone else. On top of that, she even has wit. This image of Hwa Ryung comes out in various scenarios in each episode.” She added proudly with a laugh, “There has never been a queen like this until now! The busiest mother of a nation and the fastest queen that everyone will meet for the first time.”

Kim Hye Soo shared, “I believe that the greatest strength in acting is sincerity. It’s no different while I perform the role of Hwa Ryung. I’m acting while focusing on the direction her sincerity must draw out as a queen, a mother, and as a woman.” She then shared, “As it is a historical drama, there’s a limit to the visual differentiation that can be made. However, there’s a golden hairpin with a powerful dragon pattern that represents Hwa Ryung.”

Kim-Hye-Soo-2-768x512.jpeg

A big part of Kim Hye Soo’s role will be her battle with Queen Dowager (Kim Hae Sook), who is also her mother-in-law. “This is my first meeting in awhile with Kim Hae Sook, after the film ‘The Thieves.’ While it’s a confrontation between mother-in-law and daughter-in-law, the simple description of conflict does not suit our drama. Just from the script, the collision and mental fight between these two women were incredibly strong and interesting.”

She explained, “There are huge universes that exist underneath both the queen’s umbrella, and the Queen Dowager’s umbrella. While [Kim Hae Sook] is always warm and sweet, meeting actress Kim Hae Sook as Queen Dowager in ‘The Queen’s Umbrella’ is new. Her acting never gets old. With many moments of admiration, I’m filming while feeling thankful for my encounter with Kim Hae Sook.”

As a final comment to viewers, Kim Hye Soo confidently shared, “You just have to comfortably be in front of your TV in time for the broadcast. Within five minutes, ‘The Queen’s Umbrella’ will become yours.”

Spoiler

Kim-Hye-Soo-3-768x512.jpeg

“The Queen’s Umbrella” premieres on October 15 at 9 p.m. KST and you can check out a teaser here!

Kim Hye Soo Describes What Differentiates Her Role In “The Queen’s Umbrella,” Working With Kim Hae Sook Again, And More | Soompi

• Like 1

'Shuruop' Kim Hye-soo, confidence in historical drama for the first time in 20 years... "There's no reason not to see it"

image_readtop_2022_888037_16651231285189

Kim Hye-soo, who returned to the historical drama after 20 years, revealed her self-confidence in 'Shoorup'.

On the afternoon of the 7th, a production presentation of tvN's new Saturday drama 'Shoorup' was held. Director Kim Hyung-sik, Kim Hye-soo, Kim Hae-sook, Choi Won-young, Moon Sang-min, Ok Ja-yeon, and Yoo Seon-ho attended the online event to prevent the spread and infection of Corona 19 (new coronavirus infection).

Director Kim Hyung-sik said, "It is a work that started from the imagination that the writer had a royal education and the story would be interesting." He said, "Through the way the mother of the country and the mother of princes, Jungjeon Mama, protects her family and protects the surroundings, it captures the image of our society and creates many I wanted to draw a story that viewers can relate to,” he explained.

'Shroop' is attracting attention in that it is Kim Hye-soo's first historical drama in 20 years. She proved her wide acting spectrum by taking on the role of the main character Jang Hee-bin in the KBS2 drama 'Jang Hee-bin', which ended in 2003. Her character, Jang Hee-bin, also won her acting award for Kim Hye-soo in 2003.

Kim Hye-soo takes on the role of Hwa-ryeong, the main character of a turbulent court battle in 'Shrup,' who has a great king as her husband and a bunch of princes as children.

Kim Hye-soo said, "It's a historical drama after a long time. Even during her debut, she appeared in historical dramas, and appeared in 'Jang Hee-bin' and 'Contemplative' in the middle. Our work is not a fusion historical drama. close to authentic. But it's very modern. So the script was very interesting. The tone and manners were so fresh. The characters are alive. It was so much fun even before we started filming. There was no reason not to attend. She has no reason not to watch the viewers,” she said, revealing her confidence.

Even before her broadcast, Kim Hye-soo's teaser poster drew attention. She puts an umbrella over his head so that Hye-soo Kim doesn't get her son wet even when she's all wet in her rain.

Regarding this, Kim Hye-soo said, "There is a functional work that the poster has. I think that our 'Shuruop' poster is 200% faithful to that function. It seems implied that it is a story of a child and a mother growing up together under that umbrella. It was a really exquisite concept among the posters I worked on recently."

image_readmed_2022_888037_16651231285189

Kim Hye-soo reunites with Kim Hae-sook after the movie 'The Thieves'. Kim Hae-sook takes on the role of Dae Dae-mama, a living legend of the inner list who made a RickRoll'D into a RickRoll'D by a noble class and the mother-in-law of the middle warlord Hwaryeong. The confrontation between two people, who are considered to be the best in their acting skills, is already raising curiosity as it will invigorate the play.

Kim Hye-soo said, "I reunited with Kim Hae-sook, and the person I liked the most was me. The beneficiary is me. She is a very special colossal actress. More passionate than anyone sleep no sigh She is moved by the sight. I give the stimulation of living cells all over my body on set. The conflict between the characters is interesting, and I am looking forward to acting in preparation for being born through the acting of a senior. When I work with good actors, I gain strength. Being with seniors is the best,” she said.

Kim Hae-sook said, "I don't know what to say about Kim Hye-soo. Thank you Kim Hye-soo for her kind words. I feel the same way. She applauded when she said she was with Hye-soo Kim. Kim Hye-soo is an actress with a great personality. The fact that she could act again was expected. She always feels happy when she's done her acting," she replied.

'Shrub' will premiere on the 15th at 9:10 pm.

https://www.mk.co.kr/star/broadcasting-service/view/2022/10/888037/

NISI20221007_0001102443_web.jpg?rnd=2022

Producer Kim Hyung-sik, who was in charge of directing, said at the online production presentation of 'Shuruop' on the 7th, "It started from the imagination that it would be fun to create a story with royal education. We wanted to tell a story that could illuminate the current society through the show.”

Spoiler

NISI20221007_0001102454_web.jpg?rnd=2022

NISI20221007_0001102449_web.jpg?rnd=2022

NISI20221007_0001102451_web.jpg?rnd=2022

https://www.newsis.com/view/?id=NISX20221007_0002041379

• Like 1

Make way for Queen Kim Hye-soo in Under the Queen’s Umbrella

by tccolb

unumt-3.jpg

In the newest video teaser for tvN’s black comedy sageuk, Under the Queen’s Umbrella, the race is on for the next Crown Prince and it’s a stand-off between the powerful palace ladies who each want to put their son in the seat.

As Queen Hwa-ryung, the almighty Kim Hye-soo (Juvenile Justice) is the rightful wife of the reigning and just King Yi-ho – played by Choi Won-young (Golden Spoon). But Hwa-ryung’s sons have been deemed unworthy to succeed the throne and she’s determined to set things right before that honor is stolen away by one of the king’s other sons.

Curiously, Bae In-hyuk (Cheer Up) is playing the current Crown Prince – Hwa-ryung’s perfect, eldest son – in a special guest appearance. But we haven’t yet been told why the line of succession is being changed.

The new teaser begins with the Queen Dowager Kim Hae-sook (Tomorrow) berating Hwa-young about her undeserving sons: Moon Sang-min (My Name), Yoon Sang-hyun, Yoo Sun-ho (The Great Shaman Ga Doo-shim), and Park Ha-joon (What’s Wrong Mr. Poong-sang).

While Hwa-ryung worries, the concubines – including Ok Ja-yeon (Big Mouth) and Kim Ga-eun (Kiss Sixth Sense) – are pleased about this new turn of events and King Yi-ho confirms that this is an opportunity to change tradition. Although the Dowager sneers at Hwa-ryung’s prospects, Hwa-ryung resolves to protect her children at all costs.

Written by Park Ba-ra with PD Kim Hyung-shik (About Time, Secret Door) at the helm, Under the Queen’s Umbrella will be premiering October 15 in tvN’s weekend slot and will be available internationally on Netflix.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2022/10/make-way-for-queen-kim-hye-soo-in-under-the-queens-umbrella/

• Like 1

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Watch: Kim Hye Soo And Kim Hae Sook Go Head-To-Head In A Battle For The Throne In “The Queen’s Umbrella” Teaser

“The Queen’s Umbrella” has shared an exciting new highlight teaser!

tvN’s upcoming historical drama “The Queen’s Umbrella” centers on the special palace education system of the Joseon Dynasty. The drama will follow the conflict within the palace over trying to make proper princes out of its five troublemaking princes, who cause nothing but headaches for the royal family. Kim Hye Soo will star in the drama as queen Im Hwa Ryung, the wife of a great king and the long-suffering mother of five troublemaking sons.

The newly released five-minute highlight teaser emphasizes the busy lifestyle of various characters in the palace and the chaos that ensues in a fight for the throne. As queen Im Hwa Ryung gets ready and puts on her extravagant accessories, one of her sons comment, “Always remember. My mother is the mother of a nation.”

The serene moment quickly ends as Im Hwa Ryung is shown running around the palace to wake, search for, and scold her sons. Described as the Joseon Dynasty’s most special queen, Im Hwa Ryung is determined as she states, “I have to muster up the energy. If I lose, I can’t sleep.” Choi Won Young stars as King Lee Ho, who is Im Hwa Ryung’s husband. He is a kind and encouraging leader who sincerely cares about the wellbeing of civilians.

His mother Queen Dowager (Kim Hae Sook) is a legend among concubines for helping her child born out of wedlock become a great king. She slyly comments, “Blocking confusion in the royal court is protecting everyone’s comfort.” Confidently, Queen Dowager adds, “Obey and swear allegiance to me.”

When Im Hwa Ryung expresses concern about her sons, someone calmly reassures her, “Don’t worry too much. Even if they cause accidents, they are not ones to harm others.”

However, an additional obstacle to the princes’ constant antics are those intentionally trying to take the throne from them. There’s concubine Hwang Gwi In (Ok Ja Yeon) who proudly tells her son Eui Sung (SF9‘s Chani), “The very first child of the king is you.” Tae So Yong (Kim Ga Eun) is another concubine who dutifully caters to her smart son Bo Gum (Kim Min Ki).

Later, Im Hwa Ryung announces that the king is holding an evaluation to give the princes an opportunity to become the baedong, which refers to the important role of a designated friend for the crown prince who serves, studies, and plays with them. Hwang Gwi In doesn’t jump to conclusions like the other concubines as she comments, “We don’t know whether [being] the baedong is good or bad.”

Given this new opportunity, other concubines wonder, “How did Queen Dowager make her son, who was born out of wedlock, into the king from the position of a concubine?” It turns out that there is actually a rulebook that the Queen Dowager followed to make this happen, and she turns the book over to Tae So Yong. The five key components are waking up early, a breathing technique of dunking your head in salt water for 150 seconds, medical water called baekbitang which has been boiled 100 times, eating with intention, and an ice bath for mind-body training.

Eventually, the queen realizes that this examination was actually ordered by Queen Dowager who shares, “I am worried and concerned about my son’s country and my royal court.” Im Hwa Ryung asks why she ordered this and Hwang Gwi In answers instead, “the prince who becomes the baedong may soon be able to take over the position as crown prince.”

As the Queen Dowager’s scheme grows greater, Im Hwa Ryung tells her, “Overthrowing the direct child and raising a concubine’s child to the throne must be your specialty.” Queen Dowager responds, “I’ve done it once. Who’s to say I can’t do it twice?” Despite all odds, queen Im Hwa Ryung does not back down in order to protect her sons from all these threats.

Watch the intense highlight teaser here!

tvN’s “The Queen’s Umbrella” premieres on October 15 at 9 p.m. KST. Check out another teaser here!

Watch: Kim Hye Soo And Kim Hae Sook Go Head-To-Head In A Battle For The Throne In “The Queen’s Umbrella” Teaser | Soompi

• Like 1

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Concubines Ok Ja Yeon And Kim Ga Eun Strive To Put Their Sons On The Throne In “The Queen’s Umbrella”

Ok Ja Yeon and Kim Ga Eun will lead a fiery royal court battle in “The Queen’s Umbrella”!

tvN’s upcoming historical drama “The Queen’s Umbrella” centers on the special palace education system of the Joseon Dynasty. The drama will follow the conflict within the palace over trying to make proper princes out of its five troublemaking princes, who cause nothing but headaches for the royal family. Kim Hye Soo will star in the drama as queen Im Hwa Ryung, the wife of a great king and the long-suffering mother of five troublemaking sons.

Ok Ja Yeon plays concubine Gwi In Hwang, who comes from an incredibly prestigious family and background. Following the formal selection process to become a royal concubine, Gwi In Hwang has majestically risen in rank to hold her ground at the core of all the palace concubines. She possesses a high level of dignity and elegance that remains unchanged no matter the situation and is highly-regarded among court ladies too.

Despite seemingly having everything in life, the sore thumb in Gwi In Hwang’s life is her son, prince Eui Sung (SF9‘s Chani). Although the king’s first-born, prince Eui Sung is merely labeled as the son of a concubine, born out of wedlock. After a lifetime of getting everything done without getting her hands dirty or damaging her prestige, viewers are encouraged to focus on discovering whether Gwi In Hwang will be able to maintain her elegance until the end as she comes to confront queen Im Hwa Ryung.

Ok-Ja-Yeon-1-768x512.jpg

Ok-Ja-Yeon-2-768x512.jpg

After being chosen as the king’s mistress, former court lady Soyong Tae (Kim Ga Eun) climbs her way to become a notable concubine. She’s full of cute antics and is quick-witted, making her incredibly fun to be with. Soyong Tae also has the impressive ability to turn the smallest words and actions into her greatest charms. She boasts a cordial relationship with queen Im Hwa Ryung, whom she dutifully obeys, while the queen sees Soyong Tae as being cute.

However, Soyong Tae changes dramatically once she realizes the future of her bright and intelligent son, prince Bo Gum (Kim Min Ki), could be compromised due to the origins of his birth. Despite starting from the very bottom, Soyong Tae’s transformation will also bring danger to queen Im Hwa Ryung.

Spoiler

Kim-Ga-Eun-1-540x809.jpg

Kim-Ga-Eun-2-540x756.jpg

Gwi In Hwang and Soyong Tae are only two of many concubines whose goal is to put their children on the throne, forcing Im Hwa Ryung to take extra measures in protecting her own sons. Stay tuned to find out how far the queen and these concubines will go in order to achieve their goals.

tvN’s “The Queen’s Umbrella” premieres on October 15 at 9:10 p.m. KST and you can watch a teaser here!

Concubines Ok Ja Yeon And Kim Ga Eun Strive To Put Their Sons On The Throne In “The Queen’s Umbrella” | Soompi

New casting news! :).

KimJaeBum confirmed cast for tvN drama UnderTheQueensUmbrella, he will act as Kwon Eui-kwan who is Donggung’s royal court physician. Broadcast on Oct 15.

YoonSeul confirmed cast for tvN drama UnderTheQueensUmbrella, she will act as a court lady Mak-ryeo who is in charge of all sorts of errands in the palace under WooJungWon.

Premiere Watch: Yonder, Under the Queen’s Umbrella

by missvictrix

PW_10132022.jpg

We have two interesting dramas premiering this week — one the brainchild of a famed film director that’s getting a lot of critical interest, and the other a wonderful mix of sageuk and black comedy, starring the ever-wonderful Kim Hye-soo.

Under the Queen’s Umbrella

Premiere Watch: Yonder, Under the Queen's Umbrella

Time slot: Saturday-Sunday
Broadcaster: tvN
Genre: Sageuk, black comedy
Episode count: 16

Reasons to watch: Kim Hye-soo might be all you needed to hear, but this sageuk — which looks artful and gorgeous but promises to be a black comedy too — also stars Kim Hae-sook and Choi Won-young. The usual battle for succession and heirship is on in Joseon, but Under the Queen’s Umbrella takes a decidedly motherly approach, as the queen (Kim Hye-soo) must whip her own sons into shape so the illegitimate sons (via concubines) don’t usurp their place. Quite rightly, the drama has a lot of cute puppy-like boys as all the palace princes, and there’s just something about the thought of Kim Hye-soo running around in hanbok trying to wrangle them that makes this premise irresistible.

TL;DR: Queen Kim Hye-soo, black comedy sageuk, production quality looks gorgeous

https://www.dramabeans.com/2022/10/premiere-watch-yonder-under-the-queens-umbrella/

• Like 1