[Drama 2022] The Queen's Umbrella/Umbrella, 슈룹

larus

Ooh, the first episode was pretty good! :love:

It's an interesting story for sure. There are just too many concubines and princes - it will take time before I will be able to remember who of them is who.

Loving Consort Tae - I have a feeling she's going to be on the Queen's side when the time comes to choose sides. Her voice is annoying though - agree with @agenth on that one :joy:

Evil Dowager Queen, Evil Consort Hwang and Evil Prince Uisung are already getting on my nerves. The story is interesting though, so can't wait for ep 2. :glasses:

I have questions though:

1) Does the King have no daughters? Really? Isn't that kinda...uhm... unlikely ? You know from a scientific and medical perspective?

2) Does it rain every day in this drama?

3) So Prince Uisung was born first? Was he born out of wedlock then or did the Queen have troubles conceiving at first?

4) Does the King not follow the Joseon sex ed class teachings (tutelage of relations)? He seems to stay "busy" judging from the amount of wives and kids...
:emmm:

Tagging some chingus

@ferily @Sleepy Owl @sadthe1st @rocat @LeftCoastOppa @frozentundra @K-dramafan22 @CarolynH @rocher22 @maribella @SleepyKitty @lilyphenix @philosophie @realistic2280a @Gumiho @confusedheart @Dramafreak @chickfactor & co....

This might be a drama you would like - seeing it''s a sageuk ?

And with an abundance of princes? :D

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

I really enjoyed the first episode, but I am still confused because there were too many characters introduced. So many consorts and sons.

• Queen: She's so beautiful. I picked this drama because of Kim Hye Soo and she always delivers.
  • Evil Dowager Queen: seems to have some kind of issues. Instead of wanting stable royal court, she is messing it up with her schemes. 
  • Evil Consort Gwang: the one to watch out for. Her schemes are not as evident as evil dowager, apparently they haven't joined hands and both are doing their own thing
  • Crown Prince: Bae In Hyuk's sweet smile strikes again! Seeing him around a lot in dramaland these days! Looking forward and hoping he will survive the series and not die because my heart will break.
  • King: Basically has no clue and is busy ... getting busy.
  • Consort Tae: really annoying voice, though her face is not annoying :D 
  • Grand Prince - Dark: the grand prince who came in late in class and was the only one in different clothes (dark blue instead of light blue) - can someone tell me which grand prince this is and what he did whole episode 1? 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Grand Prince Seongnam 

that was a strange scene when the prince  entered the royal classroom.  

there must be a story behind it.  :unsure:

He enjoyed riding outside the palace more than he was afraid of being late for the class. 

• Like 3
  • Wiggle 1

• larus changed the title to [Current Drama 2022] The Queen's Umbrella/Umbrella, 슈룹- Kim Hye Soo-Sat& Sun@21:10 KST

Episode one, was really good.

Here are the ratings for Episode 1! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“One Dollar Lawyer” Ratings Soar To New All-Time High As “The Queen’s Umbrella” Premieres At No. 1

tvN’s “The Queen’s Umbrella” is off to a promising start!

On October 15, the new historical drama starring Kim Hye Soo premiered at the top of its time slot. According to Nielsen Korea, the first episode of “The Queen’s Umbrella” scored an average nationwide rating of 7.6 percent, taking first place in its time slot across all channels (including public broadcast networks).

“The Queen’s Umbrella” also took first place in its time slot among the key demographic of viewers ages 20 to 49, with whom it scored a nationwide average of 3.3 percent.

“One Dollar Lawyer” Ratings Soar To New All-Time High As “The Queen’s Umbrella” Premieres At No. 1 | Soompi

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 1

18 hours ago, partyon said:

I am just reading the posts here, I don't want to get dizzy from the large number of characters. The last time I watched a 'busy' saeguk was 'Hwarang'. 

I don't like the idea of slothful princes who needed to be prodded by their mother. The part which has the queen running around is probably an attempt at comic relief. intrigued baby says o rly GIF

I might join y'all later, trying to decide if I should continue to watch dailies.

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

19 hours ago, partyon said:

Ooh, the first episode was pretty good! :love:

It's an interesting story for sure. There are just too many concubines and princes - it will take time before I will be able to remember who of them is who.

Loving Consort Tae - I have a feeling she's going to be on the Queen's side when the time comes to choose sides. Her voice is annoying though - agree with @agenth on that one :joy:

Evil Dowager Queen, Evil Consort Hwang and Evil Prince Uisung are already getting on my nerves. The story is interesting though, so can't wait for ep 2. :glasses:

I have questions though:

1) Does the King have no daughters? Really? Isn't that kinda...uhm... unlikely ? You know from a scientific and medical perspective?

2) Does it rain every day in this drama?

3) So Prince Uisung was born first? Was he born out of wedlock then or did the Queen have troubles conceiving at first?

4) Does the King not follow the Joseon sex ed class teachings (tutelage of relations)? He seems to stay "busy" judging from the amount of wives and kids...
:emmm:

Tagging some chingus

@ferily @Sleepy Owl @sadthe1st @rocat @LeftCoastOppa @frozentundra @K-dramafan22 @CarolynH @rocher22 @maribella @SleepyKitty @lilyphenix @philosophie @realistic2280a @Gumiho @confusedheart @Dramafreak @chickfactor & co....

hi partie!! Thanks for tagging :selfie2:

1. I watched this drama accidentally this morning when I found it in Netflix. And I like this. Less annoying melow love story hahaha less tears and more.. realistic..

2. I love whenever the queen and the old dowager (she was not the queen lol) are having conversations, their voices are very calm and low but the words are sharps hahaha. 

3. I see that the king is a hypers*x?? Why does he need many wives? The results of this are he has too many sons that are fighting and killing to each other now. Because of each of his wives of course want to giving birth for more than one son so they can have many chances for fighting for the throne. If a man can not manage his own chamber and house, of course he too can not manage a country. This is why Joseon dinasty and other dynasty in asia could not last longer. Too many wives in history.. Just a personal add ^_* 

4. I love the queen because of she has 5 sons. She deserves to be a queen. Hohoho.. 

btw for @partyon questions:

1. I think they do not have enough time to tell about the king’s daughters because of he is already has too many sons and our time is limited with 16 episodes ^*^ 

2. the rain is too add the dramatic setting ^_*

3. Perhaps the queen was pregnant a bit late than that Tae consort. 

4. he is a hyper. Psssttt.. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Soompi_X_11.jpg?width=457&height=457

cr. gm4queen

Ho Ho Ho! I'm glad you found this clue, hopefully you like the sweets prepared for you, or are you more of the home-making variety? Here you can be inspired: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/christmas-baking-recipes

Which Christmas / Winter food is your favourite? Share with us in the thread! 

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

2 minutes ago, realistic2280a said:

Hmm sounds complicated settings... mayb lets wait for few more episodes before watching it... as the main lead, queen is not going to find another person to love right?... :D

On 7/17/2022 at 10:26 AM, larus said:

Jung Ji-hoon (Rain) as (cameo)

Dare we hope? :D

It would be nice for the queen to get some attention. Episode 1 was very hard for her, then again I suppose she got used to being sidelined, what with her own maid becoming a consort, too! 

• LOL 3
  • Blob 1

4 hours ago, agenth said:

Dare we hope? :D

A BIG YES for Kim Hye Soo and Rain ! :coolshades:

The Queen needs a bit of fun for herself, seeing her hubby doesn't have time for her.

Writers, let's go for an abs scene while we're at it.

:wow1:

5 hours ago, maribella said:

I don't like the idea of slothful princes who needed to be prodded by their mother.

And this differs from modern k-dramas how? :D

Eomeoni+kdrama+family+terms+kdrama+fight

4 hours ago, Gumiho said:

1. I think they do not have enough time to tell about the king’s daughters because of he is already has too many sons and our time is limited with 16 episodes ^*^ 

Couldn't they have included one smart daughter in this plot to make things a bit more interesting?:criesariver:

4 hours ago, realistic2280a said:

mayb lets wait for few more episodes before watching it...

Chingu, I will tag you in a couple of episodes to tell you whether it's safe to start watching or not! :approves:

• LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

TVN's latest Saturday-Sunday prime-time drama doesn't disappoint! Watched 2 episodes and Kim Hye Soo's performance really brings out her robust & energetic character as a Queen that will be going through a crisis in her life, with her Crown Prince suddenly falling ill (and in danger of dying too), while her other 4 sons all had problems of their own and were despised by the seemingly evil Queen Dowager. 

Of course, the twists and turns are not as mind blowing as the spectacular "Little Women" (even in the first 2 episodes), but I like it best when the storyline veers towards the political battle for the Crown Prince position, that may likely ensue if the current one dies from his illness (just as the previous one did from the same illness too). The conversation between the Queen and Queen Dowager is full of fire and intrigue; and looking forward for more of these in the upcoming episodes!

• Like 3

Kim Hye Soo Is Shocked To Tears After Secretly Following Yoo Seon Ho In “The Queen’s Umbrella”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 16, 2022
by S. Nam

tvN’s “The Queen’s Umbrella” shared new stills previewing the upcoming episode!

“The Queen’s Umbrella” centers on the special palace education system of the Joseon Dynasty. The drama follows the conflict within the palace over trying to make proper princes out of its five troublemaking princes, who cause nothing but headaches for the royal family. Kim Hye Soo stars as queen Im Hwa Ryung, the wife of a great king and the long-suffering mother of five troublemaking sons.

Spoilers

The first episode of “The Queen’s Umbrella” depicted the dynamic life of queen Im Hwa Ryung looking after her troublemaking sons. Tensions suddenly rose when queen Im Hwa Ryung learned of the crown prince’s (Bae In Hyuk‘s) unexpected illness. The queen had to simultaneous deal with the pain of her son being unwell while also being concerned for the position of the nation’s head being at risk.

Amidst all the trouble, queen Im Hwa Ryung will face another issue due to prince Gye Sung (Yoo Seon Ho). Among the other princes, prince Gye Sung is comparatively the most well-behaved, so queen Im Hwa Ryung could rely on him. Since prince Gye Sung also excels in his studies, queen Im Hwa Ryung believed he wouldn’t face issues at Jonghak (the educational institute for children of royalty). However, the upcoming incident will be so shocking that it will cause her trust in him to crumble.

The newly released stills preview queen Im Hwa Ryung in shock due to prince Gye Sung. The prince secretly heads out to a secluded location, while the Queen follows him and enters a shabby pavilion. Nervous excitement follows prince Gye Sung who looks more at ease, while queen Im Hwa Ryung is shrouded in worry and concern.

Yoo-Seon-Ho-scaled.jpeg

Queen Im Hwa Ryung witnesses something after cautiously looking inside the pavilion, and another photo captures her stiff expression as she clutches her chest and begins to tear up, raising questions as to what she could have witnessed.

Kim-Hye-Soo-1536x1024.jpeg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1549865wpp/kim-hye-soo-is-shocked-to-tears-after-secretly-following-yoo-seon-ho-in-the-queens-umbrella

• Like 4

Prince Seongnam and Prince Uiseong are the main rivals...

Kang slowly comes out of the shadow.. I loved the scene between him and his mother when she

took his hand. 

He was the only one who noticed that she had changed. 

He quickly realized that the situation was serious. 

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

1 hour ago, rocher22 said:

Prince Seongnam and Prince Uiseong are the main rivals...

Yup! Prince Uiseong is as evil as his mom, Consort Hwang.

I liked the fact that the Queen herself is super smart and intelligent! :glasses: Let's see her outsmart all the EODs (Evil Old Dudes or Dudettes aka the Queen Dowager) and ERCs (Evil Royal Concubines aka Consort Hwang and Consort Go). 

:cheers:

Anyone else having issues telling the princes apart? Am like soooo confused trying to remember who is who.

:sweats:

Since Prince Gyesong is a cross-dresser, am assuming it is pretty serious as it was said that he would be kicked out. Wonder what Consort Go will do with this information now?

• Like 3
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, agenth said:

Chingus (and other lurkers!) please visit our poll (see above) and partake in it! Two very nice episodes in, and we have burning questions for you! 

Yes, there were so many other questions we had wanted to ask. Like:

- Should there have been princesses in this drama too?

- Is Prince Gyeosong a cross-dresser or does he want to audition for a musical/play?

- Did evil Queen Dowager (aka EOD - Evil Old Dudette) poison the previous Crown Prince to get her son on the throne?

- Does Consort Tae have an annoying voice?

- Does the King need to re-take lessons on Tutelage of Relations?

But sadly, only 3 questions could fit in the poll :bawling:

EDIT: @agenth I had to choose 3 villains. Couldn't decide on only 2.  Too many villains in this drama.

• Love 1

All questions courtesy of @partyon :d Her brain is very much in EO mode, while I was impressed by the drama. Currently it keeps delivering and making it interesting. I'm paying attention, and still having trouble keeping all the princes apart. My current solution is to know who's who by their mothers, but when they meet on their own, the trouble starts...

Apart from the story, this drama has amazing cinematography, and music... i admit i got distracted by the music when the queen's heart was breaking to discover her son's secret, foreshadowing that somethign awful will happen... great camerawork and music paired with amazing acting makes an awesome episode!! 

b7ab8cc81a45b8be9d7681fdb2e5537da7b320ee

6 minutes ago, partyon said:

- Does the King need to re-take lessons on Tutelage of Relations?

This king seems super absent and only interested in having relations :D . Anyone think he may be actually effective king, or just surrounded by scheming consorts and mother?  I guess he doesn't care, because it's not his life that's threatened. 

• LOL 1

2 hours ago, Narita Denisa Georgiana said:

Ok, Ok, Ok I have a weird theory:

It is not a weird theory at all!

It is quite likely that the deposed Queen’s son could be living somewhere close by. But am not sure how they would pull off the fact that the current Queen wouldn’t recognize her own son. Then again Seongnam was living outside the palace for a while and a switch of identities could have taken place.