[Drama 2022] The Queen's Umbrella/Umbrella, 슈룹

larus

20 minutes ago, rocher22 said:

Thats why I cant take this drama seriously.  I like the prince GS, but his behavior towards his mother was childish.

Exactly, it was childish. I understand his hurt feelings, but he is in danger and doesn't know of it. That's why I thought she was going to tell him that more people know of his secret, who wish him ill, like his own grandmother. 

Both queen and queen dowager know what is at stake, and they know they are at opposite sides. The queen actually has few allies and not many friends. I am hoping this drama will show how she can draw strength from her own sons, but currently all are very self-involved but the crown prince. 

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

cries GIF

that end is heartbreaking.... 

i should have known it would happen, but i was still having warm feelings from the dinner ~ 

preview shows queen being confined to her quarters - does this mean CP died? 

i will miss bae in hyuk's smile...

in any case all the other consorts assembling and looking on and the ministers, they all remind me of hyenas. 

seongnam is the one to wtach out for. the other three brothers  are all very childish still...

I'm confused tbh.

Watching  but confuse who's who lol... so yeh big thanks to asianwiki for the below :thumbsup:

Now I can put  face to who's who and whos the actor lol

Queen Im Hwa-Ryeong's Sons

Bae In-Hyuk Moon Sang-Min Yoon Sang-Hyeon Under The Queens Umbrella-Yoo Seon Ho.jpg Park Ha-Joon
Bae In-Hyuk Moon Sang-Min Yoon Sang-Hyeon Yoo Seon-Ho Park Ha-Joon
Crown Prince Grand Prince Seongnam Grand Prince Muan Grand Prince Gyeseong Grand Prince Ilyoung

Royal Concubines' Sons

Under The Queens Umbrella-Kang Chan-Hee.jpg The Queens Umbrella-Moon Sung-Hyun.jpg Shin Ian Byun Hong-Jun Kim Min-Ki
Kang Chan-Hee Moon Sung-Hyun Shin Ian Byun Hong-Jun Kim Min-Ki

Prince Uiseong

Prince Simso Prince Yeongmin  Prince Hwapyeong Prince Bogum

The main character of 'Shroop'.  For the younger actors.... rookie actor who plays seongnam I check born 2000, his only other drama is My Name from Netflix.  Lemme see if he's got the a potential acting... he he.

Lee Kang, Daegun Seongnam. He is the most dynamic and the most ambivalent, a man who sometimes trembles and is serious at times. He is expected to be portrayed as a macho man and beastly man, with cheeky, sloppy eyes, sad eyes, and pure feelings towards Chungha, but with a cold-hearted character. Here, unlike other princes who grew up in the palace, he is the owner of an unconventional spirit who grew up living the life of grasshoppers outside the palace in Seochon. As Kim Hye-soo is already in discussion with Kim Hye-soo in the middle battle, anticipation is focused on the mother-to-child breathing that she will show with Kim Hye-soo.

https://www.chosun.com/entertainments/entertain_photo/2022/01/27/KIQQLEKEQASINGMQEEQOAFKQDY/

King Lee Ho's Royal Concubines

Spoiler

Under The Queens Umbrella-Ok Ja-Yeon.jpg Under The Queens Umbrella-Woo Jung-Won.jpg Shin Soo-Jung Song Young-A Lee Ha-Young
Ok Ja-Yeon Woo Jung-Won Shin Soo-Jung Song Young-A Lee Ha-Young
Consort Hwang Consort Ko Consort Kim Consort Choi Consort Moon

Under The Queens Umbrella-Kim Ga-Eun.jpg Lee Hwa-Kyum Lee So-Hee
Kim Ga-Eun Lee Hwa-Kyum Lee So-Hee
Consort Tae Consort Ok Special Court Lady Park

Not sure if I'm invested on this I'm only on ep1  but watching for Kim Hye Soo!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Here are the ratings for episode 4! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“The Queen’s Umbrella” Hits New All-Time Ratings High + “The Empire” Sees Rise

Just two weeks into its run, tvN’s new historical drama “The Queen’s Umbrella” is already approaching the double digits!

On October 23, the new miniseries starring Kim Hye Soo achieved its highest ratings yet with its fourth episode. According to Nielsen Korea, “The Queen’s Umbrella” jumped to an average nationwide rating of 9.5 percent, taking first place in its time slot across all cable channels.

“The Queen’s Umbrella” Hits New All-Time Ratings High + “The Empire” Sees Rise | Soompi

8 hours ago, jongski said:

I'm confused tbh.

Watching  but confuse who's who lol... so yeh big thanks to asianwiki for the below :thumbsup:

Now I can put  face to who's who and whos the actor lol

Queen Im Hwa-Ryeong's Sons

Bae In-Hyuk Moon Sang-Min Yoon Sang-Hyeon Under The Queens Umbrella-Yoo Seon Ho.jpg Park Ha-Joon
Bae In-Hyuk Moon Sang-Min Yoon Sang-Hyeon Yoo Seon-Ho Park Ha-Joon
Crown Prince Grand Prince Seongnam Grand Prince Muan Grand Prince Gyeseong Grand Prince Ilyoung

Royal Concubines' Sons

Under The Queens Umbrella-Kang Chan-Hee.jpg The Queens Umbrella-Moon Sung-Hyun.jpg Shin Ian Byun Hong-Jun Kim Min-Ki
Kang Chan-Hee Moon Sung-Hyun Shin Ian Byun Hong-Jun Kim Min-Ki

Prince Uiseong

Prince Simso Prince Yeongmin  Prince Hwapyeong Prince Bogum

That helps. I thought the queen has four sons? But really, after four episodes, I still get all the sons mixed up. Did they all go to the same plastic surgeon? 

It has been a looooong time since i get addicted to a Sageuk (the last being Dongyi). I predict the Queen is becoming every Korean's ideal/dream mum. Is this  Kim Hye-soo's and Kim Hye-soo's  first sageuk? They are the reasons that keep me at the edge of my seat.

• LOL 1

Under the Queen’s Umbrella Episode 3 Reactions: Fans Express Their Affection for Gye-seong and Hwa-ryeong’s Dynamics

October 23, 2022

Under the Queen’s Umbrella Episode 3 (슈룹) has once again proved its royal status when it comes to the k-drama arena. The third episode ventured into a rather sensitive portrayal of the issue of gender performativity and its burdens with Yoo Seon-ho’s Grand Prince Gye-seong at the focus. In the previous turn, Kim Hye-soo’s character had followed him right into the secret chamber which served as his safe haven away from the eyes of the public, where no one could judge him for his choices and he was free to express himself.

However, in the latest outing, his secrets are outed without his discretion to Queen Dowager by Consort Go, who sees it as an opportunity to gain her favor instead. In an era when things were led by orthodox rigidity, Queen Hwa-ryeong is the kind of mother everyone deserves. Her final assuring statement of awaiting a time in the future when people won’t be judged for preferring different choices than those of the majority is a heartening conclusion for Gye-seong’s storyline for the time being.

Viewers have praised Yoo Seon-ho’s delivery when put opposite the versatile Kim Hye-soo, and it comes as a much-anticipated and deserved answer to some reproaching comments registered in the past few days about the supporting cast of the show. While some asserted that only the actress playing the role of Queen Hwa-ryeong was “carrying the cast on her back”, in Episode 3 those thoughts are completely shunned as Seon-ho has stood tall against these call-outs.

Each character holds their own weight in the show, however, it’s only with time that each one of them will get the chance to be distinctly fleshed out, especially since a vast panel of actors is on-board at the same time. Moreover, Moon Sang-min’s Seong-nam, though having little to no screen time in this specific episode, owing to the focus on Gye-seong, has also yet again proved to climb up the favorite character rating.

Those who’ve already watched the episode are applauding his character’s idiosyncratic ways of the mind, which are not single-mindedly calculative, but rather a reflection of his kindness. It’s not far-fetched to claim that he has the makings of a wise and ‘out-of-the-box’ type of king. No one knows what the future will bring but for now, let’s check out how the viewers received the latest episode and its storyline.

https://www.leisurebyte.com/under-the-queens-umbrella-episode-3-reactions/

‘Shuruop’ Queen Kim Hye-soo gives the prince a hairpin… “Anyway, my child”

20221024501800.jpg

The title of <TVN> (tvN) Saturday-Sunday drama <Shroop> is an old word meaning “umbrella”. In episode 3 of <Shuru>, which aired on the 22nd, ‘Umbrella of Embracing’ appeared and attracted attention.

Hwa-ryeong Im (Kim Hye-soo)discovered a secret space where her fourth son, Dae-gun Gye-seong (Yoo Seon-ho), secretly enters and exits in the second broadcast. In that space, Daegun Gyeseong prepared a secret room where he could wear makeup tools, hair ornaments, jeogori and skirts, etc.

Jung-jeon is shocked when he witnesses Dae-gun Gye-seong disguised as a woman through the gap in the door of the secret room. Unable to hold back her tears, she finds her secret space and begins to cry. His son's act of disguising himself as a woman was also shocking, but he was more afraid because his son's life would be in danger if this fact became known to the 'enemies' of the court.

20221024501801.jpg

In the third episode, when Dae-bi (Kim Hae-suk), who noticed the secret of Great Gyeseong, tries to expose it to the king (Choi Won-young), he burns the secret room of Dae-seong. It is said that the evidence was removed “for” his son, but Daegun Gye-seong is disappointed. Because it was the only place in the palace where you could breathe. Daegun Gyeseong visits Jungjeon to question him. “You have taken everything away from me. (…) Were you embarrassed and ashamed?”

However, instead of removing his secret room, Jungjeon prepared a gift for King Gye-seong to protect his “real self”. It was designed so that Daegun Gyeseong could keep a portrait of him dressed as a woman. Jungjeon tells Daegun Gyeseong, “If you ever want to see your true face, open up the picture and look at it.” He also bequeaths his mother's hairpin, which he "wants to starve when he has a daughter," to Daegun Gyeseong.

The drama ends with the two of them reconciling and heading to the palace together under an umbrella. The umbrella with the middle pole is tilted to the side of Gyeseongdaegun. The back of the two men changes to a picture of Daegun Gyeseong wearing a red jacket and a sky blue skirt.

20221024501804.jpg

Spoiler

20221024501802.jpg

<Shroop> depicts only the cross-dressing act of disguising himself as a woman, even though Daegun Gyeseong is a man. Not all sexual minorities who practice gender expressions different from their assigned sex at birth. However, if you look at the lines that refer to Daegun Gyeseong as “the real person” when he is disguised as a woman, it is highly likely that he is suffering from gender dysphoria (gender dysphoria) that he and others perceive are different. One way or another, the palace of <Shrup> is described as a place where it is difficult for “people who live with things different from others” to survive.

https://www.hani.co.kr/arti/culture/culture_general/1063973.html

Under the Queen’s Umbrella: Episodes 3-4

by alathe

coverph.jpg

Terrified for the Crown Prince’s life, our heroine steels herself to steer the younger princes through a series of punishing exams. However, the palace teems with secrets, and any one of them could be her children’s undoing…

EPISODES 3-4 WEECAP

The venomous Consort Go returns to parade Gyeseong’s secret before the Dowager Queen. She’s met with a flat stare. If it’s true, she is told, Gyeseong faces execution — but, if her accusation lacks proof, it’ll be her facing the chop. Therefore, says the Dowager Queen, unless she is absolutely certain, she’d better not run her mouth. For those wondering if the Dowager Queen’s warnings stem from some unexpected grandmotherly instinct, fear not: later, she invades Gyeseong’s sanctuary to take stock of the evidence — sneering all the while.

Hwa-ryeong finds Gyeseong, ordering them to think only of their studies, not their wanderings. Taken aback, Gyeseong promises to do Hwa-ryeong’s bidding: to study, toil, join the cohort — but, please let them continue with their walks. It’s the only time in which they can breathe. (Sidenote: as Gyeseong is heavily trans-coded, I’ve chosen to use they/them pronouns for now — he/him seems inappropriate.)

Elsewhere, there’s a pronounced uptick in religious sentiment amongst the concubines: with the cohort selection exam approaching, all they can do is pray. The princes approach their academic doom with the weary trudge of men condemned to execution — or, of adolescents marching to their SATs. The first two questions are standard Confucian fare: arithmetic, followed by a pious essay. The third is the king’s invention — a lateral thinking puzzle, designed to encourage outside-the-box solutions. (Me? I’m clearly a box-only sort of gal; my utter inability to make two crescent moons out of an oblong would have immediately disqualified me for kingship.)

Uiseong soars to success on what is arguably an excellent example of creative problem-solving… from Consort Hwang. That is to say, he cheats, using a code-word in his anonymous essay to harvest praise from corrupt examiners. However, even this fails to net him first place: the winner is po-faced PRINCE BOGUM (Kim Min-ki). The other two to progress? Grand Princes Seongnam and Gyeseong. Geniuses they may not be, but they’ve got originality in spades.

If only they understood what was at stake. That said, with the Crown Prince sinking in and out of consciousness, it may not be long before the entire court knows. In his rare moments of clarity, he’s heartbreakingly anxious to return to his duties. Not, Hwa-ryeong decides, on her watch. Canceling her son’s schedule, she urges the king to send him to the hot springs for his skin condition. The Crown Prince is squirreled away to convalesce in private, under the guise of a harmless vacation.

Now, to come to terms with another secret. Hwa-ryeong tiptoes into Gyeseong’s hideaway, solemnly peering into the same mirror in which they applied their makeup. She touches a silk skirt. Examines an intricate hairpin. Whatever fragile understanding she gains, she opts for the blunt mallet approach. She’ll keep Gyeseong away from this room by forcing them to study with Seongnam.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2022/10/under-the-queens-umbrella-episodes-3-4/

• Like 2

On 10/23/2022 at 6:48 PM, jongski said:

I'm confused tbh.

Not sure if I'm invested on this I'm only on ep1  but watching for Kim Hye Soo!

I started this just for Kim Hye Soo because I loved her in her previous dramas. Thanks for the list! I've only watched the first 2 eps and I'm as confused as you with their faces and relationships. But I'm liking the plot so far.

Here are the ratings for episode 5! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“The Queen’s Umbrella” Earns Its Highest Saturday Ratings Yet + “One Dollar Lawyer” Returns To Air At No. 1

The battle for weekend drama ratings remains as tough as ever!

On October 29, tvN’s “The Queen’s Umbrella” achieved its highest ratings to date for a Saturday, when its ratings are typically lower compared to Sundays. According to Nielsen Korea, the new period drama starring Kim Hye Soo scored an average nationwide rating of 7.8 percent for its fifth episode.

“The Queen’s Umbrella” Earns Its Highest Saturday Ratings Yet + “One Dollar Lawyer” Returns To Air At No. 1 | Soompi

• Like 1

Kim Hye Soo is a great actress and the reason I am watching this drama but is it only me or do I think her eyebrow acting is very very distracting in this drama.

Besides the over exaggerated eye brow acting, other more subtle scenes were fine and my only gripe is really on the writing that make the villains too strong etc. 

• Like 5

We are still early into the plot, but I'm gonna throw a guess that Grand Prince Mu Ahn will be the next crown prince! Ahahahaaa.....

I just think Grang Prince Seong Nam is just too rigid, too tense and I think he has a free spirit. If Chung Ha really develops into his love interest, I will feel more strongly about this too. On the other hand, Mu Ahn's love interest, the courtesan (?) Cho Wol seemed to have a more dignified or should I say queenly attitude? Mu Ahn is still young, so it is not shocking to see him preferring to enjoy life than thinking about nation's problems.

I loved the short scene we had between the king and queen where she told him that she is okay so he need not be concerned. I think between them there is genuine love and respect - they did have 5 children together - but I suppose due to palace politics the king can never be mutually exclusive to one woman.

Had we not had the revelation about Prince Bogum, I would view him as a worthy contender of the CP position. I felt disappointed with him today, because even he

Spoiler

looked down on his own mother. His mother will want to help him, of course. But she entered the game too soon with not enough preparation. Things might turn bad.

In the next few episodes, we will surely have the plague woven into the plot. The premise was already set when the young princes sneaked out to the village. Maybe there will be a revelation about Master Toji.

My, my Concubine Hwang.  What a surprise! While I do expect something from the baddie, that was unexpected.

With regards to the CP's son - how evil must they be to do that? Whose people are the culprits?

• Like 1

Here are the ratings for episode 6! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“The Queen’s Umbrella” Ratings Break Into Double Digits For New All-Time High

tvN’s “The Queen’s Umbrella” soared to new heights last night!

On October 30, the new historical drama starring Kim Hye Soo broke into double-digit ratings with its sixth episode. According to Nielsen Korea, the latest broadcast of “The Queen’s Umbrella” scored an average nationwide rating of 11.3 percent, marking a new all-time high for the show.

“The Queen’s Umbrella” Ratings Break Into Double Digits For New All-Time High | Soompi

• Like 1

NEW EVENT: Spooky Soompi: Part 2 (Ghosts & Zombies & All Things Spooky in K-Dramas & K-Movies!)

We are back with Part 2 of our  Spooky Soompi. :evillaugh:

Let's talk about all our favourite spookiest K-dramas and K-Movies that we absolutely love watching  in spite of experiencing sleepless nights afterwards. :fear:

Vote for your favourites now! :hooray:

re: Your friendly neighbourhood EO Team

@confusedheart  @Sleepy Owl @agenth and @partyon

Can someone help me, where can I find the amazing background music? I can only find Child by Elaine, but not the actual music that moves me to tears.

I find the plot to have such a power imbalance.

there's the queen, and she has just one ally, everyone else is her enemy.

Her children, bar Seong Nam, are more hindrance than help. I wish they would start adulting and try to help her.

Consort Tae betraying Queen, ok, but how does it help her? The minister ran to the Left state councillor, whose duaghter is Consort Gwang. How will this move make her son the CP ? Very illogical...

Here are the ratings for episode 7! :).

Despite a drop in its ratings, tvN’s “The Queen’s Umbrella” remained first place in its time slot across all channels with a nationwide average of 9.4 percent.

“One Dollar Lawyer” Heads Into Finale As Most-Watched Miniseries Of Entire Week + “Blind” Ends On Ratings Rise | Soompi

• Like 1

The Queen’s Umbrella: Episodes 5-6

by alathe

https://www.dramabeans.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/coverphoto-1.jpg

With the Crown Prince deathly ill, there’s nowhere to hide: our heroine must face the consequences before the King. But, her fears are steadily coming true, as a succession crisis looms, and the consorts and court officials begin scheming in double time.

EPISODES 5-6 WEECAP

With the Crown Prince choking on blood, subtlety takes a swan dive. The King’s face is a stone wall as he promises punishment for those who hid his son’s illness — including his queen. Hwa-ryeong is torn from her dying son’s side. Confined to her room, she is forced to transcribe scholarly texts in penance — a task to which she applies herself with haste, furiously scribbling through the night in the hopes of seeing her son again. Elsewhere, news of the Crown Prince’s ailment tears its way through the palace. No one knows anything for definite. His siblings are barred from his side. All his desperate mother can glean is that he is conscious — barely.

Through the wall, Hwa-ryeong and Seongnam whisper. Has the Crown Prince coughed up blood before? No. Reason might suggest it was the illicit herbs Seongnam brought him that prompted the reaction. Still, Hwa-ryeong is certain this can’t be the case: her son was recovering until recently. One thing’s for sure — this is one secret that could spell their death. ROYAL PHYSICIAN KWON (Kim Jae-bum), who administered the medicine, is holding up admirably under both knifepoint and the Dowager Queen’s steely glare. Nonetheless, hiding information in the palace is like trying to juggle water. Sooner or later, something is bound to spill.

Seongnam, unsatisfied with his mother’s assurances, steals his way back to Seochon. Here, his sword meets Master Toji’s throat. He demands the truth: was the medicine tampered with? Master Toji recovers uncannily fast from learning that his patient was the heir to the throne. However, despite some cryptic muttering — what goes around comes around hardly strikes one as a patriotic sentiment — he insists the herbs were harmless.

If Master Toji is on level, then something else poisoned the Crown Prince. There’s only one solution: Hwa-ryeong must mobilize. Luckily, she’s a shrewder political operator than her enemies realize. Using her vast network of palace allies, she ensures that the Crown Prince remains under constant watch. However, passively waiting for news is hardly her style. The situation demands audacity. And what could be a bolder move than walking straight out of the palace? Shedding her finery and bowing her head, she emerges from confinement disguised as a court lady.

Elsewhere, the court officials converge like vultures before carrion. With the Crown Prince deathly ill, many are clamoring for his deposition, followed by a taekhyeon: that is, a test of merit among the princes to determine who deserves the throne. It’s the method by which the current king ascended. Won-hyeong, the Chief State Councilor, sounds out the Minister of War, YOON SOO-GWANG (Jang Hyun-sung), on his thoughts regarding the Crown Prince. Deposition, yea or nay? In the hopes of swaying him to “yea,” he’ll dangle a juicy piece of bait: whoever takes over as Crown Prince will marry the minister’s daughter. At this suggestion, Soo-gwang is like putty in his hands. After all, his daughter, the incorrigible YOON CHEONG-HA is, by all accounts, a matchmaker’s worst nightmare.

She’s also a delightful trouble magnet. Outside the palace, Cheong-ha glimpses Hwa-ryeong sneaking to a meeting. Luckily, she takes her for a noble lady in pursuit of her lover, and is far too gleeful at the prospect to question it. Little does she know, it’s sadder and more urgent: Hwa-ryeong’s secret rendezvous is with the deposed Queen Yoon. If she was expecting sympathy, she’s sorely disappointed; Queen Yoon betrays nothing but grim satisfaction at the thought of the Crown Prince dying. What is it, if not retribution for her own dead children?

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2022/10/the-queens-umbrella-episodes-5-6/

• Like 3

Here are the ratings for episode 8! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“The Queen’s Umbrella” Soars To Its Highest Ratings Yet

tvN’s “The Queen’s Umbrella” has wrapped up the first half of its run on a new all-time high!

On November 6, viewership ratings for the historical drama starring Kim Hye Soo climbed back up into the double digits. According to Nielsen Korea, the eighth episode of “The Queen’s Umbrella” scored an average nationwide rating of 11.8 percent, marking a new personal record for the show.

“The Queen’s Umbrella” Soars To Its Highest Ratings Yet | Soompi

• Like 1